Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

thebiglad wrote: »
    We cleared our estate estate earlier - I was in a t shirt than, so long as you're working don't feel the cold.

Shovelling tons of snow is hot work!
    Latest red warning - fat lads may keel over from shovelling too much snow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Latest red warning - fat lads may keel over from shovelling too much snow :pac:

This is a thing. One US doctor says it's so dangerous no one over 55 should even try.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Sad to see it all melt in general. Would have been great to get a few days of cold dry weather afterward to get another day or two before it turns to mush. I only got out and about yesterday to do some real scouting about but boy was it worth it.
    There is at least one family living on this road and still trapped in their house.

Don’t see scenes too often like this in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Cleared our road yesterday.... the old man and myself started about 9:30 and by 12 was still just the 2 of us.
    Eventually had a way out about 1:30 when a 2 neighbours came out to help.

The back is stiff today along with the shoulders and ham strings :D

Once I got out the lads put a toll on anyone else coming or going haha.... €1 to get in, €2 to get out.
    By the time i got back they had about €35 made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So iv finally got a chance to sit down and relax knowing its all over. The drive has been cleared the road out of the estate has been cleared (by shovel) and the main routes have been cleared so driving is now possible.

It was good to see people help each other out and seeing the council staff, fire men/women, army personnel etc all doing their bit was great to see and i for one am very thankful. Also the people who had tractors and the likes out clearing the snow deserve a massive shout out as alot of places would still be buried in snow only for them.

I have never seen snow as bad as i did and while it was amazing for a couple of days id be happy if it stayed as a rare occurence. :D

Im going to sit back now and gently fall asleep dreaming of what just happened and when i wake up ill be happy i wont have to shovel a street full of snow and dig out cars from massive drifts for a while. :D

Lets hope any flooding is kept to a minimum and that people come out the other side of this without untold damage.

Oh and a big thank you to all of those who predicted this on Boards. I always follow the weather here and ye all do a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

sdanseo wrote: »
    There's always someone in a t-shirt!!

In Fairness it was a monumental effort and the lads who get a lot of stick on this forum led the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Cleared our road yesterday.... the old man and myself started about 9:30 and by 12 was still just the 2 of us.
    Eventually had a way out about 1:30 when a 2 neighbours came out to help.

The back is stiff today along with the shoulders and ham strings :D

Once I got out the lads put a toll on anyone else coming or going haha.... €1 to get in, €2 to get out.
    By the time i got back they had about €35 made :D

Yep, me and my other half had some shovelling done too. At 6.3 stone and 5ft myself, I had a great workout, who needs a gym. Back and arms stiff today too but it was fun. Everybody was shovelling around, my husband was helping a neighbour who was heading out to Dublin due to family emergency so all pitched in. We had two JCBs running around today so could get out which is great news. And the local Domino's were offering 50% discount for orders for collection. Can't complain about that, can you.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Hi I have to get to a funeral outside of charleville on n 20. Leaving from Slane tmrw morning. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like on this route please and would it be madness to consider going. Would be going the m7 and m20 route. Reckon i can get to m50 m7 fine but a bit worried after that. Also is this the best thread to ak this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭greasepalm

very glad of boards to have some very interesting posts and warnings to let us know whats ahead thanks guys,until the same time next week? maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Kermit, Sryanbruen, what is your take on a possible cold re-load in a weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

That was an amazing couple of days lads. Fair play to the people who called it. Here in Cork was incredible, most snowfall I've seen in the city. Around roads by the airport were just stunning, drifts up to a metre blocking local roads. I didn't get the chance to post, I had an unfortunate but deserved infraction imposed on me so I couldn't post updates. Amazing stuff, would love to do it all again sometime.

Going to sit down and watch the telly for the night with the last remaining cms of snow covering the back garden.

A photo of the Airport hill from Saturday morning for you all from one of the local football clubs on twitter. http://https://twitter.com/DouglasHallAFC/status/969513708652322816

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hi, I have an appointment in the Hermitage clinic tomorrow AM. Will be coming from Athlone area. Any issues in the lucan/liffey valley area?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've quite likely lost a cat to this storm, sadly. The guilt is like a billiard ball in my chest/under my skin.

I was looking after someone's cat and I warned them that he was a nervous wreck due to local, uneutered cats.. He wasn't making himself available for food/to be fed.. and to maybe put him up in care, no.. said they'd chance it. I haven't seen him in 48 hours. :(

He weathered the last two flurries okay, over the years, by making himself available to various neighbours, but.. it is brutal now, the road and gardens are spotless, no details to mark them out. Drifts everywhere. Well above the height of a cat.

Our regular fox, like clockwork, is doing his rounds of the gardens, same time, same tracks, the only disturbance in the snow.

He came back today, with ice cold legs and hungry.. the ungrateful, evasive little git.

Ratty and demanding, got his food then fecked off again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

gyppo wrote: »
    Hi, I have an appointment in the Hermitage clinic tomorrow AM. Will be coming from Athlone area. Any issues in the lucan/liffey valley area?
    Thanks!

Hermitage will be fine, they have been de-icing ever since the snow started falling

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rodin wrote: »
    My point is they're happy enough to ask parents above their own staff.
    To continue the ‘digging’ theme...

You’re at the bottom of the hole. You can stop now. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Amalgam wrote: »
    He came back today, with ice cold legs and hungry.. the ungrateful, evasive little git.

Ratty and demanding, got his food then fecked off again..

Mine didn't want to get out of the house. The first taste of the icky white stuff and they turned around and went back inside. They are total outdoor gangsters, just hate the snow. I had to install a temporary loo for them and when it wasn't cleaned immediately in the evening, my older cat peed into my walking boots while I was standing beside him cleaning something else.
    The younger one tried using it again this morning before I dismantled it. I grabbed her, successfully manage to avoid the claws and teeth all ready to sink in and threw her out of the door (then raced to the cat flap and barely managed to close it before she got back). No excuses now, the toilet is outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There no indication that teachers aren’t getting involved in the digging. They’re probably looking for as many hands as they can get. A teacher replied to you on this thread very thread to say that they’d be getting involved in the digging. And asking people to help is helping people LEAVE their houses. What are you on about? Talk about unfocused grousing.

A truly pathetic swipe at teachers here. Perhaps you should ask for volunteers to dig that chip off your shoulder?
    I spent the morning/afternoon digging out here. We’ve a primary school around the corner. I don’t teach in that school.

Conundrum for Rodin: I spent a good chunk of the day clearing the road and footpath that leads past a school. As did everybody else who lives around. Those that couldn’t, for whatever reason, brought the rest of us cups of tea and sangers. I’m a teacher, but I don’t teach in that school. One or two of the others were as well. How do you propose to take a pop at me? What did I do wrong today that would allow for a spot of teacher bashing?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Kermit, Sryanbruen, what is your take on a possible cold re-load in a weeks time?

To be honest, with the state of the stratosphere, anything could happen. I do not put my money on a cold reload by any means, nor do I put my money on a warm spell. To me, a cold reload is more likely than a warm spell that's for sure due to the southerly track of the Polar Jet and the state of the zonal winds.

I'd say to keep your eyes on the posts we do and we'll start talking if any certainty grows on what's exactly going to happen. The stratosphere is just too unique that there's nothing historically to base off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some amount of moaning Minnie's on our schools WhatsApp group. Car parks cleared,yard up to the doors cleared and yet some are wondering if it's safe to send kids to school "cos the basketball court and pitch still have snow on them."
    The amount of stupid comments on the group is mind boggling. "There's snow on the roadside". "Will the kids be outside at break?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Some of the bickering, personal attacks and hostile posts on this thread are painful to read! most have been deleted.

All posts relating to discussion of Weather Warnings have been moved to the dedicated thread HERE

All posts relating to winter weather preparations/driving tips have been moved HERE

Can we get back to discussing the weather please - civilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

sryanbruen wrote: »
    To be honest, with the state of the stratosphere, anything could happen. I do not put my money on a cold reload by any means, nor do I put my money on a warm spell. To me, a cold reload is more likely than a warm spell that's for sure due to the southerly track of the Polar Jet and the state of the zonal winds.

I'd say to keep your eyes on the posts we do and we'll start talking if any certainty grows on what's exactly going to happen. The stratosphere is just too unique that there's nothing historically to base off of.

Is another cold spell quite likely to just be a slushy mess if it occurred that far into march? Even in the spell just there in my part of Dublin there was a lot of daily thawing and they were exceptionally low temps for late feb/early march

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

I dont see another extreme cold reload. For Emma I was seeing a Wednesday to Friday timeframe all along. However like syran I dont see the mild that Met Eireann are mentioning although im more a GFS man than ECM and so therein the disagreement lies.

Could be a storm to contend with next weekend. There seems to be an awful lot of "events" the past few months. Hope we get a heatwave event in June

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

Some of the bickering, personal attacks and hostile posts on this thread are painful to read! most have been deleted.

All posts relating to discussion of Weather Warnings have been moved to the dedicated thread HERE

All posts relating to winter weather preparations/driving tips have been moved HERE

Can we get back to discussing the weather please - civilly.

Was a mod on a very busy group ..I have to say the modding here is excellent. Every time I want to alert re some posts I find that an admin has got in before I have had to . .take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Thanks to all the forecasters who gave us the heads up. Thanks for all the factual reports of local conditions which help to form a view on what is happening and the biggest shout out of all to whoever alerted me to the €6 Argos Snow Shovel! My new BFF!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

sryanbruen wrote: »

So you're saying don't take the Christmas tree and lights down just yet? Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Country file forecast giving wet and windy weather next Friday. Might add to the flood problem from snow thawing all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

*Twitter video, see above*

The UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭revelman

We were finally able to leave our house today after being stuck since Tuesday evening. We were lucky enough to have farmer clear our country road. We spent the morning clearing the driveway. Despite the thaw since yesterday there was still compacted ice under the snow! We went into Kinsale and then on to Cork. Most of the streets in Kinsale had been cleared but there was still a lot of snow around. On the way to Cork we saw less and less snow and in the city itself you wouldn’t even know it had been snowing. The Kinsale area seems to have had a substantial amount of snow. I wonder is this some sort of lake effect around Cork Harbour? At the other side of the habour, the Roche’s point side, places like Cloyne were hammered too, with a voluntary ME station there recording 40cm of snow. I say lake effect because the snow was heaviest right on the coast itself. The further away from the coast, you got much less snow.

Advertisement