Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Reports of heavy snow currently in Millstreet Co.Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Knine wrote: »
    Myself and my older daughter are digging the car out as I have to take my youngest to hospital tomorrow. The amount of burly men who put their heads down and hurry by as quick as they can in case they are asked to give a hand. Lol

I hope you're giving them a good hearty hello and mentioning the terrible weather :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gonzo wrote: »
    I definitely preferred 2010 and wins hands down for a number of reasons.

- colder temperatures
    - Irish Sea streamers were far more impressive covering much larger areas
    - The snowflakes themselves were generally much bigger and more satisfying to watch.
    - IOM and Welsh shadows were mostly short lived in most areas with winds varying numerous times during the days and nights.
    - Some sunny but bitterly cold days allowed us to go out and enjoy the snow without fear of it melting.
    - Lack of wind made the event more enjoyable to take part in.
    - 2010 was a two parter and delivered almost a month of excitement.
    - it occurred in November and December.

The Beast and Emma was still a very good event but I would have preferred it to last a bit longer. It was really Emma which brought the majority of the snow to a lot of places, but Emma also resulted in a much quicker introduction of milder air resulting in the quick thaw we have now. I would have really liked one or two bitterly cold and dry days after Emma to properly see the full extent of the snowfall in all it's glory without any snow melt.

1982 looks like it had ice days after the snow fall.

For that to work we need the Atlantic system to dump snow over Ireland (ie move north over the Irish Sea into an existing blocking easterly) and then retreat back leaving the easterly to win and the mild area to leave.

We were nearly there but would we want that? Be nice today but we would still be shut tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

Knine wrote: »
    Myself and my older daughter are digging the car out as I have to take my youngest to hospital tomorrow. The amount of burly men who put their heads down and hurry by as quick as they can in case they are asked to give a hand. Lol

As come on now... girl power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

1982 looks like it had ice days after the snow fall.

For that to work we need the Atlantic system to dump snow over Ireland (ie move north over the Irish Sea into an existing blocking easterly) and then retreat back leaving the easterly to win and the mild area to leave.

We were nearly there but would we want that? Be nice today but we would still be shut tomorrow.

10th of Jan 1982 was one of the coldest days/nights ever recorded in Ireland. The week after was pretty cold so it meant there was snow around longer to enjoy during the days rather than a quick thaw. It was January so colder weather was going to be more likely. I think -19 was recorded in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

10th of Jan 1982 was one of the coldest days/nights ever recorded in Ireland. The week after was pretty cold so it meant there was snow around longer to enjoy during the days rather than a quick thaw. It was January so colder weather was going to be more likely. I think -19 was recorded in Dublin.

You're thinking of 12th January 1982. The -19 was also a grass minimum, not air minimum.

In the UK, 10th January was remarkable with an air minimum of -27.2c in Scotland on this day equaling the UK's all-time low set in February 1895 and December 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

North Cork roads clear, even country lanes are passable with just the middle bit still having some slushy snow. Countryside is still beautifully white with evidence of a slow thaw.
    (Mallow Lidl & ALdi busy but fully stocked :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Rodin wrote: »
    It's unreasonable to be asking for volunteers to help clear snow without involving those who are actually employed by the school.
    Why should a staff member stay at home while a parent volunteer gets shovelling?

I am the only teacher who lives within 25 miles of my school. I live 5 miles away. I have no car and public transport is still not going near the school still. At the moment we're still trying to dig our way out of our estate here to get to the main road.

Few teachers live near schools in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

I see the days of people coming together to express awe and wonder at a weather event are well over and the complaining about everything stage has begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

5 miles? A good hour's walk that.

Yes. In these conditions that seem like a realistic and honest estimate. Good man.

Like everyone else I have to look after my own estate and neighbours and then get to elderly parents in two separate areas first. When that's done I'll see if I can get to the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

actaphobia wrote: »
    To my knowledge, nobody died during this event, which is a credit to Met Eireann, state agencies, and the government. There was no easy way of predicting how the storm would unfold - nature is unpredictable.

I'd much prefer that the govt be overcautious in these circumstances. Easy to say now all was fine - but clearly the govt based their decision on available data. If the worst outcome is that a few appointments have to be rescheduled then I would call this an unqualified success.

Minimal impact on retailers as purchases are displaced.

Few appointments?
    The knock on effect continues 'https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/some-nonurgent-surgeries-for-monday-cancelled-by-hse-36667434.html'

• Registered Users Posts: 45,334 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Amazing the amount of people in this country who complain about everything.

If we had no warnings they'd be the first complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

actaphobia wrote: »
    As come on now... girl power

Girl Power is in full force. I'm just amused at all the lazy feckers. The same ones will use the road I cleared as a parking spot & probably block me in. My younger daughter with a disability is using her sand castle spade to dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I see the days of people coming together to express awe and wonder at a weather event are well over and the complaining about everything stage has begun.

Exactly. This week the country stopped for a bit and we all got a chance to spend a bit more time than normal with ourselves, our families and our friends. I got a chance to catch up on those time-consuming jobs around the house I never have time for. It was great and I'm delighted it happened.

And as for local shops etc losing out on business? I'd be pretty certain they did better this week than they have since Christmas week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You're thinking of 12th January 1982. The -19 was also a grass minimum, not air minimum.

In the UK, 10th January was remarkable with an air minimum of -27.2c in Scotland on this day equaling the UK's all-time low set in February 1895 and December 1995.

Syranbruen , has it always been the case since the beginning of meteorological record keeping in the 1700s, that air temperatures, rather than grass temperatures, have been considered to be the official figure for record purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

sryanbruen wrote: »

Quite possibly. I knew Jan 10th in the UK, thought it was the same day here. Ground temperatures make a huge difference interms of the length of time snow is on the ground (obviously). It's funny how people comment on the size of snowflakes. With severe cold winds large wet snowflakes won't exist, they just get blown to bits. It was really only on Friday night through to Saturday morning that any of that wet snow fell (in my area) when the air temperatures started to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Syranbruen , has it always been the case since the beginning of meteorological record keeping in the 1700s, that air temperatures, rather than grass temperatures, have been considered to be the official figure for record purposes?

Both types are official, I just much prefer using air minimums personally.

You'll find grass minimum temperatures being mentioned a lot on weather summaries and bulletins, maybe not as much as air minimums but still a lot.

Look at the difference in both types of minimum temperature in two notably cold Marches of modern times.

March 2006

Air minimum: -8.6c at Straide, Co. Mayo on the 3rd
    Grass minimum: -16.0c at Birr, Co. Offaly on the 3rd

March 2013

Air minimum: -7.6c at Markree, Co. Sligo on the 12th
    Grass minimum: -14.9c at Straide, Co. Mayo on the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 45,334 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyway..

Almost fully melted in Galway City now. Not sure about the east of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

I for one have had a very enjoyable few days. My back garden ended up like this below.

Was well prepared from early last week thanks to boards.ie :pac:

I've been shoveling not because I enjoy it - but because I want to see how long the giant pile of snow I have created will last. Earlier on my 12 yo was sledding down the pile. :D

I had some great walks out with the kids and took loads of photos.

Off to make my first trip to the shops since Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Quite possibly. I knew Jan 10th in the UK, thought it was the same day here. Ground temperatures make a huge difference interms of the length of time snow is on the ground (obviously). It's funny how people comment on the size of snowflakes. With severe cold winds large wet snowflakes won't exist, they just get blown to bits. It was really only on Friday night through to Saturday morning that any of that wet snow fell (in my area) when the air temperatures started to lift.

Yeh there’s still a fetish with “large proper flakes” in this country even though that’s an indication of wet snow that probably won’t last an hour. Certainly not a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If you read correctly you'd have seen the request to help clear snow came from the SCHOOL. Not from parents. With the threat of the school not being opened if the snow wasn't cleared. It is not unreasonable to ask why the staff of the school are not clearing that snow rather than children's parents.

I love how people automatically went on the offensive and seemed to assume the teachers weren't out helping
    As it happened, I'm just back from the school where about 100 parents were busy shovelling snow, ALONG WITH A SIZEABLE NUMBER OF TEACHERS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

200motels wrote: »
    I have to say here in Waterford City they kept us all informed through Map Alerter, also the main roads were kept open, unfortunately my car is still buried in snow and slush on a side street and still cannot move it.
    hmmmm not too sure about that, I live about 1km from the hospital out the dunmore side and the main road was pretty much impassible to most vehicles and listed as a P1 route. You probably saw one of the reports from waterford about a place called powers court that is next door to the hospital, most of the estates out this side have a hill or slope getting in and out of them and that was early into the bad weather.
    Before the red alert kicked in the estates were bad and its thursday since most could get out. Leaving aside people trying to get their cars out, emergency vehicles would not have been able to access our estate and the others till late yesterday and even then only some areas. We have tracks on the estate now but for anyone with a low front car which is most there is a chance of getting stuck still.
    We knew there was a bad weather coming weeks in advance and I have to ask why the counsel didn't have salt / grit areas near the estates for people in the estates to access and grit their access roads. It would also have meant if emergency services need to get in at least the slopes could have been dealt with. This isn't hindsight, this happens every time there is snow or ice in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Hi guys. I have been following the threads on here for the past few days and I think it's been great. Two weeks ago I was telling people about the cold spell that was on its way thanks to you guys. I was just doing a bit of reading online and I came across a article from Canada which I think would put what we had in context and maybe quiten people complaining about the red warning. This shows that the totals we received on Thursday into Friday would be considered a lot even if it fell in Canada. Here's the link http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/blasts-from-the-past-canada-s-worst-snowstorms-1.1370387[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have been following the threads on here for the past few days and I think it's been great. Two weeks ago I was telling people about the cold spell that was on its way thanks to you guys. I was just doing a bit of reading online and I came across a article from Canada which I think would put what we had in context and maybe quiten people complaining about the red warning. This shows that the totals we received on Thursday into Friday would be considered a lot even if it fell in Canada. Here's the link https://www.google.ie/...cbc.ca/amp/1.1370387

Your link is dead BUT with a bit of tweaking ( removing the google part and going www.cbc.ca etc ) I think this is it??

Blasts from the past: Canada's worst snowstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Warning Waterford for motorists

The speed ramps down by the Ursuline school have been damaged by snow clearing machinery. Metal nails and bars exposed. Also hearing other speed ramps around the city have been damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

aidanodr wrote: »
    Your link is dead BUT with a bit of tweaking ( removing the google part and going www.cbc.ca etc ) I think this is it??

Blasts from the past: Canada's worst snowstorms
    Yeah that's its. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Had to dig our way out this morning to go get supplies. Still an awful lot of snow around. Tipp/Kilkenny border. No attempt has been made to clear the roads on the Tipp side, yet as soon as we crossed the border the road was after being ploughed. With the freeze due tonight the roads are going to be lethal in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

..and the further outlook for next winter
    BLANK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Reading the article about Canada's worst snowstorms has me googling Massachusetts snowstorms. I lived there from 1991 to 2005 so managed to witness 3 of the big storms in the article below, 1993, 1997 and 2003. Will have to dig out some photos one of these days.

I miss the snow already! :(

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/worst-snowstorms-in-new-england-history/

Advertisement