Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Dublin 22 the thaw begins. but housing estates still in a heap..

https://youtu.be/e_plkEcprVc?t=5

https://youtu.be/zur0Aj3BXrY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heavy sleet in suncroft, some parts may see wet snow looking at the net weather radar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We got a text from my daughter's school last night asking for volunteers to help clear snow around the paths and entrances to the school, otherwise it'll have to remain closed on Monday.
    Seeing that it's been closed since Tuesday evening, I have a feeling there will be no shortage of volunteers with their shovels later. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Did anywhere in Ireland not get snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

catrat12 wrote: »
    Did anywhere in Ireland not get snow

I think some parts of west Kerry mayo galway and Donegal didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

wakka12 wrote: »

Well, we have a good inch here this morning in south Sligo 152m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heroditas wrote: »
    We got a text from my daughter's school last night asking for volunteers to help clear snow around the paths and entrances to the school, otherwise it'll have to remain closed on Monday.
    Seeing that it's been closed since Tuesday evening, I have a feeling there will be no shortage of volunteers with their shovels later. :D

Some mother just asked on a localised Facebook page if up around our kids school is clear,she probably lives nearer to it than anyone else. Maybe she lost all motor function due to the cold and can't go herself to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Heaps in Inishowen. Thaw on now but roads were impassable. No council intervention and supposedly their gritters broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,873 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It is snowing here again , big flakes , Portlaoise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lackagh Co Kildare

BCD4_F69_F_B619_4_B07_BD52_EB509_BEE31_DE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lackagh Co Kildare

BCD4_F69_F_B619_4_B07_BD52_EB509_BEE31_DE.jpg
    people will be going sightseeing there in may !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,873 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    It is snowing here again , big flakes , Portlaoise..

Phew , it's stopped now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Heroditas wrote: »

Will be the teachers be out shovelling too?
    They're well rested.

Rodin wrote: »
    They're well rested.
    They'll either ' supervise' or do an 'in - service day' to organise the shovelling , so the process should be up and running by 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And they made sure to let us know what an awful event it was too

Rikand wrote: »
    And they made sure to let us know what an awful event it was too
    just wait till the flooding in Galway and the midlands now, you ain't heard nothing yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Efforts to clear the routes in and out of Roundwood and Laragh being severely hampered by snow tourists. At best they're slowing down the work, but reports they're getting stuck. There's one lane just about passable, and people are parking in the passing spots to go to the Sugarloaf. Probably their "right" to come and the Government's fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I have to say here in Waterford City they kept us all informed through Map Alerter, also the main roads were kept open, unfortunately my car is still buried in snow and slush on a side street and still cannot move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Efforts to clear the routes in and out of Roundwood and Laragh being severely hampered by snow tourists. At best they're slowing down the work, but reports they're getting stuck. There's one lane just about passable, and people are parking in the passing spots to go to the Sugarloaf. Probably their "right" to come and the Government's fault...

That's annoying are you stuck down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They're well rested.
    The majority of workplaces closed Wed-Friday, at least THursday and Friday. No need for teacher bashing. I see negativity and BS creeping into this thread. Catch yourselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They're well rested.
    I’ll be shovelling here. Have to get to the main road before I can start the journey to the school. Anyway, your sly dig, if you’ll pardon the pun, wasn’t wasted. Consider this your response from the profession.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Very sadly had to remove some beautifully shaped snow this morning so I could drive into town.

Map alerter sent many alerts on behalf of Roscommon co co too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

But if they are getting paid anyway, surely it's no more cost to the economy.

I seen that some were not ready to be deployed because of training, but in other countries, armies do all their training in these conditions.

I was out clearing my road and walking about as bad as it was.

The Civil Defence was not deployed in Longford due to training. The Civil Defence is run by County Councils, not the military. Defence Force numbers are down massively since the 1980s. 50% of Regulal and only about 20% of the Reserve strength are still serving. The Defence Forces have a small number of vehicles suitable for use in heavy snow. These vehicles were used for transpot of medical staff and patients. As for doing anything else, they would be no better equipped that 10s of thousands of other people who were told to stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

lolo62 wrote:
    That's annoying are you stuck down there?
    I'm not too bad, but live on the main road. But the longer it takes to clear the regional roads, the longer it takes to get to the local roads, where people are seriously stuck - people without water, burst pipes but plumbers can't get to them etc.

Also very limited deliveries getting through (and won't be helped by the tourists) and even well prepped households are beginning to run short of milk. It'd be a big help to everyone to have fully stocked shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Oops69 wrote: »
    just wait till the flooding in Galway and the midlands now, you ain't heard nothing yet .

You're expecting the floods to be bad or the complaining to be bad? I hope its the former or you're seriously full of sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Big wet flakes falling in my area of west Cork now. Looks like the snow is fighting back. Turning heavier now but melting when they hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Know what's great to see. The met eireann Twitter posts . The comments are mainly 'Great work guys you helped!' 'Deloghted you guys deserve a break now after that's etc etc, rather then the usual 'ah stop now' sort of posts. Happy to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

fin12 wrote: »
    Would it be ok to walk the blackrock/Mahon, Cork walk tomorrow? Just wondering what the walkway be like?

I think it should be ok but make sure you've good grips on your shoes. There are still some patches of unmelted, compacted snow.

It could be all gone by tomorrow but just keep your eyes open in sheltered spots. It's not warm enough for a 100% thaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

4ensic15 wrote: »
    &20 is more than the number of military deployed overseas. It is about as many as were available to go to the border in the 1969 emergency. Most of those out during the snow were on training courses which were interrupted by the snow. The Naval Service is undermanned and can't be expected to bring ships home to deliver food in vehicles it doesn't have. The air corps is undermanned and can't be expected to deliver food in nvehicles it doesn't have. Military bases with guns and ammunition in them need to be guarded. The defence force has a limited number of vehicles. Some have to be kept available to deal with incidents like LIDL. Some troops haven't been able to go to their own homes for days and see that their own famiiies have food. The selfishness of some people is staggering. They expect troops to put themselves at risk hunderds of miles from home so that they can have fresh milk nin their local sho!

I've plenty of milk and food as i stocked up be some people didn't or were unable too.

But your right. Expecting defence forces to put themselves at risk is wrong.
    Perhaps they all that they were signing up to run crèches.

Advertisement