Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alpha Male - does he really exist?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Repsulive wrote: »
    Not true, many Irish people tan.

Well the majority don't tend to tan very well. Besides, a tan is just sun damage they won't look to good in 10-15 years if they keep that up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Guys have it better. As they get older they've more options they usually become more attractive and they can go down in years. A decent looking girl might think she has it made it's only a matter of choosing the right partner- all of a sudden she realizes she's 28 and starts to panic. THat's when the ugly 38 year old guys come in to save her. If you're a patient guy you'll be grand

Guys have it better. As they get older they've more options they usually become more attractive and they can go down in years. A decent looking girl might think she has it made it's only a matter of choosing the right partner- all of a sudden she realizes she's 28 and starts to panic. THat's when the ugly 38 year old guys come in to save her. If you're a patient guy you'll be grand

That's BS. What hot to decent 28 year old is gonna get with an experienceless sexless 38 year old guy. What would a guy even do in such a situation having never had any experience to draw from.

Saw this on Reddit before, really hit a chord

Not getting your first experiences of dating and sex in your teens leads to making huge ****ups later in life, at an age when people assume someone to already have assimilated the basics of dating and sex (and, in fact, significantly progressed beyond the basics), simply because someone hasn't gone through that initial learning phase back in their teens. People tend to be extremely unforgiving towards those whose behavior is perceived as less mature than their age group; the less mature, the more suspiciously someone tends to be regarded. Basically, start early, fail fast, learn from your mistakes and improve over time; the later you enter the game, the steeper the learning curve, because you have a lot of catching up to do in a short amount of time and you ain't getting any younger.

It's not cute or endearing, it's just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

An alpha male is a lad who wares fake tan, big aul 6 pack on him and goes gym twice a day, walks around with a protein shake, looks down on pretty much everyone else, probably bullied people in school, goes to Ibiza on holidays and gets his willy sucked 4 times a day out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

21Savage wrote: »

Don't shoot the messenger buddy. I just present facts as I see them.

Also remember broads say one thing but do another. I don't doubt that many have good intentions but what happens out on the field is very different to the training ground. Friday night comes and after a few rounds of tequila, they are only scanning the bar for a certain calibre of men. I was out a few times at Christmas. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The good times have only amplified this hypersexualized dating market we are in right now.

So your perception is twisted, glad we cleared that up

I believe you are looking in the wrong places and at the wrong women...

A bar is no place to meet a woman imo....they are a haven for ONS and all other sorts of crap. Perfect place for male and females w***** to get what they want. A waste of time otherwise imo

Try taking a girl you like out for coffee, a meal or a movie or a combo of two....if you want to break the cycle you so claim to be stuck in...then it starts with YOU....

Having a few pints is just about the best thing you can do if you wanna get with someone

why exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    An alpha male is a lad who wares fake tan, big aul 6 pack on him and goes gym twice a day, walks around with a protein shake,

These lads are a complete joke. How can a lady possibly find these vanity queens/completely into themselves types to be attractive? I always question the psyche of the woman that actually gets with these type of airheads.

These lads are a complete joke. How can a lady possibly find these vanity queens/completely into themselves types to be attractive? I always question the psyche of the woman that actually gets with these type of airheads.

TBF they don't really pull quality girls. Maybe in Ibiza they might but in Dublin they'll just be with their female equivalent.

Some can pull it off though.

As an aside, best looking guy I know is quiet but he just commands respect in any room because of his looks. He could be in a room full of Senior Cup winners, the aforementioned Dublin Shore wannabes, whatever and he'll own it because of his appearance. I don't mind that though, he's nice and pleasent and kinda dorky, it's beautiful to watch the power looks can have. I will be following his career on LinkedIn, I'm sure he'll go far.

An alpha male is a lad who wares fake tan, big aul 6 pack on him and goes gym twice a day, walks around with a protein shake, looks down on pretty much everyone else, probably bullied people in school, goes to Ibiza on holidays and gets his willy sucked 4 times a day out there

no thats an idiot......

• Advertisement

TBF they don't really pull quality girls. Maybe in Ibiza they might but in Dublin they'll just be with their female equivalent.

Some can pull it off though.

Im curious...whats your defenition of a "quality girl"

Be detailed

Include things like appearance, personality and nationality....lets see exactly what you are talking about....

pone2012 wrote: »
    why exactly??

IT helps with confidence so you can chat to woman. I always got on fairly well with women but without alcohol I wouldn't of had a hope. From about 5/6units to about 8/9 units was my time to shine. I could never go up to a strange woman I found attractive without it, after I've been with someone I find my lack of confidence isn't a problem, so it's all good really.
    I'm totally fine with how I am and don't feel the need to improve myself in any way. Besides I don't believe a person can improve their confidence and why bother when all you've to do is drink a few pints.

That's BS. What hot to decent 28 year old is gonna get with an experienceless sexless 38 year old guy. What would a guy even do in such a situation having never had any experience to draw from.
    I agree If you've had no action in your twenties your probably done. But below average looking guys who make an effort will get some kinda action and that all you need heading into your thirties

IT helps with confidence so you can chat to woman. I always got on fairly well with women but without alcohol I wouldn't of had a hope. From about 5/6units to about 8/9 units was my time to shine. I could never go up to a strange woman I found attractive without it, after I've been with someone I find my lack of confidence isn't a problem, so it's all good really.
    I'm totally fine with how I am and don't feel the need to improve myself in any way. Besides I don't believe a person can improve their confidence and why bother when all you've to do is drink a few pints.

So, its a social crutch basically?

Perhaps you don't believe so...but plenty of people have improved their confidence...no alcohol necessary...nor any other substance for that matter

hmm well why lets see.....Id gather most people prefer to be actually confident rather than be under the illusion that they are due to a toxin...

Good enough reason for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

apart from 'getting his willy sucked 4 times a day', this is the type of man I definitely am not interested in.

they usually wear caps and sun glasses too.

also they seem to like taking selfies in store changing room's, and then posting them on facebook:rolleyes:

not my cup of tea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I can’t imagine Boards attracts alpha males. Over compensating Betas- sure!

True loser central here. No one with alpha qualaties bothers with these forums. Opinionated betas is all thats here!.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also remember broads say one thing but do another.
    "Broads"? If you're posting from New York game ball, if you're posting from Ireland that's a bit cringe Ted.
    True loser central here. No one with alpha qualaties bothers with these forums. Opinionated betas is all thats here!.
    And Thetas, don't forget them. Omegas too. Maybe a few Deltas. Though I'd not be too shocked that there are online world definitions for that lot of Greek letters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The second i think of an alpha male, Dwayne Johnson comes to mind immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Unless he can charm people instantly without them knowing that information, and be fairly sure of success when he randomly says hi to a woman at the bar, then no, he isn't.

Being alpha is essentially being about being able to make that incredible first impression routinely rather than just every so often out of luck. Things which you'd only find out about after a while don't really count towards someone's "alpha" personality since an alpha would already have charmed you long before you acquired that information.

A better analogy would be, an alpha is a broke janitor with a micropenis who still manages to get a phone number within twenty minutes of introducing himself to somebody, provided of course he doesn't tell them either of those things :D

True enough. But if that doesnt he has the luxury of being able to show her his massive mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always thought an Alpha Male was a lad out to impress other lads rather than women. I've never heard of women saying "look at your man trying to be an Alpha".

I've seen it in various guises:
    - The lad with his arm over someone else's shoulder
    - Over aggressive and firm handshake
    - The (always senior) guy at work sitting in meetings pushed back from the table, leg crossed in the "4" position arms behind his head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think it's safe to say at this point some on here at this point have to be on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This thread is crazy Im not able to tell who's trolling anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The second i think of an alpha male, Dwayne Johnson comes to mind immediately.

Although I think Alpha Males are a load of bollox, I kinda agree with you on this. :)

I think being called "The Rock" helps :)

Saw this on Reddit before, really hit a chord

Not getting your first experiences of dating and sex in your teens leads to making huge ****ups later in life, at an age when people assume someone to already have assimilated the basics of dating and sex (and, in fact, significantly progressed beyond the basics), simply because someone hasn't gone through that initial learning phase back in their teens. People tend to be extremely unforgiving towards those whose behavior is perceived as less mature than their age group; the less mature, the more suspiciously someone tends to be regarded. Basically, start early, fail fast, learn from your mistakes and improve over time; the later you enter the game, the steeper the learning curve, because you have a lot of catching up to do in a short amount of time and you ain't getting any younger.

I do agree with this. "Chatting up" someone is a social skill. I don't mean in the pick up artist kind of way. I just mean being able to put yourself out there, seem normal and funny, and not be weird.

I think the reason the Inbetweeners was such a success is because it did reflect what it's like being an awkward teenager who has absolutely no fecking idea what to say to a girl. Some people are just natural at it but for the rest it's an agonising learning process.

Every single person either said/did something hilariously stupid when they were that age or they know someone who did.

That's BS. What hot to decent 28 year old is gonna get with an experienceless sexless 38 year old guy.

Perhaps a woman that's tired of the cheaters and would like a nice guy who will love her to bits, and appreciate that she picked him?

The world is a rather large place with infinite possibilities regarding the tastes/interests that women/men have in any variety of relationships. Different cultures/nationalities have different ideas of what is attractive.
    What would a guy even do in such a situation having never had any experience to draw from..

Read a book? Talk to your buddies? Admit your inexperience and allow the woman to take control? :rolleyes:

I had my first girlfriend when I was 30, and she was a "hot" stripper. I can quite comfortably say that you have very little understanding of this topic.

The Alpha male concept just seeks to excuse behaving like an asshole. Nope. You're not alpha. You're a prick.

Speaking solely based on my own experience and not any general truth - I have never seen anyone use the term to describe themselves. Let alone to use it to excuse their own poor character.

Rather the people I have seen use the term use it to describe others. And they use it to explain away some failing their perceive in themselves but do not want to address or acknowledge.

"Oh I would love a girl like he has - but he is alpha and I am not" "Oh I would love to have the thing / be able to do the thing he has - but he is alpha and I am not".

For some people it seems preferable to label some nebulous fuzzy concept and use it to justify not addressing something in their own selves that other parts of their self is telling them they should be addressing.
    Absolutely not. I was designed to be repellent to women. They don't like me, whatever. I don't trigger that feeling in them and I've got over it.

Wow you could be a version of the 21 year old me who thought exactly like you do. Absolutely 100% totally convinced I was physically and mentally built in such a way that I was simply a woman repellent.

I figured out a lot of the errors in my thinking and righted that nonsense fairly sharpish. I am not sure what "energy" you think can not be learned in life - but I certainly learned a few. And none of it meant I was hampered by being a short - IT Nerd version of the Milky Bar Kid.

I also recently had the privilege to work with a friend who was bordering on suicidal depression for what he thought was his inexplicable lack of success with women and his impending eternal bachelorhood. He genuinely had no idea what was wrong.

So I went speed dating with him and found out almost instantly what was wrong - as I watched him get a sum total of zero contacts. And I worked with him for awhile on the problems I identified. And we went speed dating again. His success rate the second time around was quite remarkable.

There is a lot of things we can learn about ourselves - especially if a trusted other gives us a lens on ourselves that we might lack alone.
    Either that post is (a) joking or (b) a stinking steaming sack of giraffe sh**
    Every word of that list screams pay attention to me, please pay attention to me

Welcome to After Hours. Yes that user is a joke - it is an online persona created for comic effect and not to be taken seriously. Was actually funny originally. Getting a bit samey now sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Open your eyes bro.
    All women want to be the side piece of the dominant guy in the room.
    That's actually a very alpha trait, knowing your power over women and bedding 'a lot' of them.
    Your friend was the equivalent of the archetype school football captain. He had INSANE local status.

Never change Eden Hazard, never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Been there done that. Einstein said something about the definition of insanity and expecting different results. I've been ghosted, swerved, dodged and dived one too many times.

Maybe it's because you're calling women 'broads', assuming what they want as per your charts and referring to them as 8's, 9's and side pieces...... bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What's a "dimepiece"?

Advertisement