Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alpha Male - does he really exist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I can no longer distinguish the pisstakes from the earnest posts. I'm impressed by the sheer magnitude of nonsense. It has transcended ridicule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And you pua guys are delusional at best and snake oil sellers at worst.
    I would agree. PUA is mostly nonsense. I say mostly as like any popular idea there are kernels of truth in the middle, but taken to ridiculous extremes. Plus it's self selecting for a particular kind of woman(and man) that it may work on and for. It also has cultural biases. It's most certainly a numbers game as any of the honest PUA guys will admit. The companies and "gurus" pimping their books videos and seminars(boot camps) spoofing mostly vulnerable young men that no matter who they are or what they look like it'll work for them are exploitative repellent bastards to a man. Most of their "evidence" for successes are steps with paid models or the "guru" doing the picking up is an attractive man in the first place. Men can be notoriously bad at seeing attractive features in other men beyond the obvious Pierce Brosnan/Brad Pitt level, so usually miss this. And the more isolated and desperate the man is the more they want to believe it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Chicks Broads have I entered a bad B 1930’s movie???

"Send dose dames ova ta Frankie Alpha in da speakeasy, den send da rest a da hooch ova ta Jimmy Beta's weyyahouse, don forget ta get da dough off dat lousy Jimmy Beta bastid"

"Shuuuwwa tiiing Boss"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anyone else had their posts deleted out of this thread? Two of mine have gone poof for no reason I can think of

Probably because they were quoting the deleted posts of a banned rereg.

There is a certain prolific rereg that is attracted to threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

If you think you can read a book or watch a youtube clip to help attract women you've bigger problems than your looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's up there with sitting on the sofa eating pizza watching weight loss shows:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Some of the bros in this thread are so negative it hurts me in the gut. I know a man isn't supposed to cry but it's hard not to shed a tear when I see a daddio getting upset about a broad and talking so much jive.

It doesn't matter how you look it's how much game you bring that counts. I've got more game than one of those knockoff Gameboy Colors with 500 games built in. I straight up look like a gremlin with leprosy but I get more ass than a donkey sanctuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Irish Guitarist; truly the Shakespeare of his own time and place. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would agree. PUA is mostly nonsense. I say mostly as like any popular idea there are kernels of truth in the middle, but taken to ridiculous extremes. Plus it's self selecting for a particular kind of woman(and man) that it may work on and for. It also has cultural biases. It's most certainly a numbers game as any of the honest PUA guys will admit. The companies and "gurus" pimping their books videos and seminars(boot camps) spoofing mostly vulnerable young men that no matter who they are or what they look like it'll work for them are exploitative repellent bastards to a man. Most of their "evidence" for successes are steps with paid models or the "guru" doing the picking up is an attractive man in the first place. Men can be notoriously bad at seeing attractive features in other men beyond the obvious Pierce Brosnan/Brad Pitt level, so usually miss this. And the more isolated and desperate the man is the more they want to believe it.

The problem with PUA is that most people are looking for instant results. There's little desire to learn and develop skills to help with their interactions with the opposite gender. Instead, the focus is on the appearance (being the pimp), targeting the weaker or damaged people, and generally being dishonest. Memorized phrases or pickup lines are used which don't reflect the person using them, and generally show the user up to be a muppet.

However, in the background, there are practical and useful disciplines to develop which will improve your interactions significantly. Most of it revolves around the areas of NLP, body language, and self-improvement. The problem with all of these areas is that it takes commitment and time to apply them to your personality.

I get that there is very little respect for PUA here on Boards. I've seen the PUA posters come online, regurgitating the material they've memorized and it is cringe-worthy.

But... the areas of anchoring, pacing, controlled tonality, identifying key language repetition do work and will improve the rapport you have with others. Affirmations and self-hypnosis to balance your own state and to remove insecurities.

TBH I'm immensely glad I found the Speed Seduction area when I did.(just over 20 years ago). It made me realize that I wasn't stuck with the mannerisms/knowledge I'd picked up while growing up in Ireland. That I could remove the hangups or negative traits I'd picked up, and increase my confidence. It also opened up the areas of psychology, NLP, meditation, Hypnosis, etc etc etc.

Lastly, I also understand that most here will roll their eyes and dismiss what I've said as rubbish. That's because most of you are unwilling to learn any of these techniques. It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand, and yes, unless you've actually performed anchoring, you really have no real conception of its effectiveness. Perhaps, you're already successful in dating, or you just don't care. But these techniques are there for those people who aren't happy with the status quo. Who don't want to rely on their appearance, and wish to improve their ability to communicate effectively.

PUA is not everything. There are more avenues towards improving your dating/relationshp experiences without turning to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ye all bruhs should lift. Straight up good for the cranium. Sh1t's like crack yo.

Hollar at a chicka like you 'bout to steel-a. She'll dig that confidence bro. Don't be scared homie, toot that whistle. She might let you brush that bristle.

Tell her how you feel. Straight from the heart. She gunna fall for your aortic ejaculations. Worked for me bruhs. I went from an empty Pringles box and two sponges, to getting regularly tested after them soft pocket plunges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If you try to approach a Dimepiece without any kind of plan, you will inevitably fall victim to her impenetrable Bitch Shield.

The correct technique is to ensure you have a wingman in place; one who has already infiltrated the power plant which powers the Bitch Shield, and disabled the generators.

I believe the power plant is concealed somewhere on the forest moon of Endor.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I believe the power plant is concealed somewhere on the forest moon of Endor.

:rolleyes:

One does not simply 'infiltrate' the forest moon of Endor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just her 'besties'. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye of her one true bestie is ever watchful.

It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with failed hopes and dreams and God knows what else. The very air you breathe is a poisonous perfume. Not with ten wingmen could you do this. It is folly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ye all bruhs should lift. Straight up good for the cranium. Sh1t's like crack yo.

Hollar at a chicka like you 'bout to steel-a. She'll dig that confidence bro. Don't be scared homie, toot that whistle. She might let you brush that bristle.

Tell her how you feel. Straight from the heart. She gunna fall for your aortic ejaculations. Worked for me bruhs. I went from an empty Pringles box and two sponges, to getting regularly tested after them soft pocket plunges.

Have you been under a lot of stress lately?...

dd972 wrote: »
    Have you been under a lot of stress lately?...

Sure, I squat heavy bruh. Gotta push outward. You too busy stayin in the same lane, you never gettin that gain.

Map your goals out. I'm lifting for 6 months now and I'm seeing progress. If you too busy posting on forums, you're gonna be at a loss. Get out there, lift heavy and get a sample of nature's pink candyfloss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Sure, I squat heavy bruh. Gotta push outward. You too busy stayin in the same lane, you never gettin that gain.

Map your goals out. I'm lifting for 6 months now and I'm seeing progress. If you too busy posting on forums, you're gonna be at a loss. Get out there, lift heavy and get a sample of nature's pink candyfloss.

Bullhorn, is that you?

full.png

Tell her she has shiny lips if you want :facepalm:

And there goes any chance of anyone accepting what I said earlier. :D

Fourier wrote: »
    Why are there all these special techniques for attracting and interacting with women, you'd swear they were aliens. "Only adopt a relaxed posture after she has signaled her value re-balancing, immediately after increase testosterone production by 4.23%" There's no evidence for any of this stuff.

Yup, no evidence because I'm hoping you just made that stuff up. I've never heard anyone speak like that in relation to this stuff.

But there is as much evidence for NLP as many accepted Psychological facts, and NLP is the basis for a lot of the Anchoring, pacing, body-language related disciplines/theories. Ever heard Richard Bandler talk about hypnosis and trance states?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

But there is as much evidence for NLP as many accepted Psychological facts, and NLP is the basis for a lot of the Anchoring, pacing, body-language related disciplines/theories. Ever heard Richard Bandler talk about hypnosis and trance states?
    Many psychological "facts" in fact have very poor evidence scientifically and are simply widely known/popular. NLP has very little evidence in its favour, any short google search will produce multiple scientific bodies refuting it, its Wikipedia article has section running through why it is considered pseudoscience.

Here is an example metastudy in medicine:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481516/

That's not to say aspects of it are not correct/true and simply buried in the "random noise" of psychology experiments, but science has never proven that they really cause a systematic effect beyond random luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1. "You have a shiny nose."

2. ???

3. Home alone.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

so many tragic snowflakes around thesedays who get alll upset and offended at the slighetst thing and young lads who dress the same as young girls with skintight jeans i doubt it....tragic

• Advertisement

Many psychological "facts" in fact have very poor evidence scientifically and are simply widely known/popular. NLP has very little evidence in its favour, any short google search will produce multiple scientific bodies refuting it, its Wikipedia article has section running through why it is considered pseudoscience.

Here is an example metastudy in medicine:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481516/

That's not to say aspects of it are not correct/true and simply buried in the "random noise" of psychology experiments, but science has never proven that they really cause a systematic effect beyond random luck.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. Hence why I pointed to psychology. I know it's not "proven" from a modern scientific perspective. The vast majority of areas relating to consciousness & the subconscious aren't.

But Hypnosis works. So too do various levels of trance for the planting of suggestions. It works in marketing, advertising, and sales. I also know it works personally.

But I would suggest going on Youtube and watch/listen to Bandler talking about Hypnosis & NLP. It's very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

All these techniques/routines are nothing but manipulation simple as that. Going through a intensely mental routine is an insult to anyone who finds themselves on the receiving end (e.g. make sure you mildly insult them in a nice way to show how 'alpha' you are, it increases your status....ffs). Reading that list of what to do reads completely sociopathic to me. It sounds like a slog, a complete blind alley.

Where it's a numbers game then it's dealing with rejection that is utmost not scripted banter. That's the key for most....the reality that not everyone will be receptive, not everyone will like you either but that's irrelevant. It can be soul crushing to get rejected but the trick if there is one is to keep trying but to keep trying while actually genuinely enjoying yourself. Many give up to that end and get bitter. Nothing is better for confidence than enjoyment. And if you are sincere enough to want to find a partner then confidence via enjoyment will win out. Otherwise you're just someone looking to validate themselves using manipulation.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Emailaddress

valoren wrote: »
    All these techniques/routines are nothing but manipulation simple as that. Going through a intensely mental routine is an insult to anyone who finds themselves on the receiving end (e.g. make sure you mildly insult them in a nice way to show how 'alpha' you are, it increases your status....ffs). Reading that list of what to do reads completely sociopathic to me. It sounds like a slog, a complete blind alley.

Where it's a numbers game then it's dealing with rejection that is utmost not scripted banter. That's the key for most....the reality that not everyone will be receptive, not everyone will like you either but that's irrelevant. It can be soul crushing to get rejected but the trick if there is one is to keep trying but to keep trying while actually genuinely enjoying yourself. Many give up to that end and get bitter. Nothing is better for confidence than enjoyment. And if you are sincere enough to want to find a partner then confidence via enjoyment will win out. Otherwise you're just someone looking to validate themselves using manipulation.

It's not a slog at all, you are simply building good habits, habits that will come naturally so you are in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. Hence why I pointed to psychology. I know it's not "proven" from a modern scientific perspective. The vast majority of areas relating to consciousness & the subconscious aren't.

But Hypnosis works. So too do various levels of trance for the planting of suggestions. It works in marketing, advertising, and sales. I also know it works personally.

But I would suggest going on Youtube and watch/listen to Bandler talking about Hypnosis & NLP. It's very interesting.
    As you say, hypnosis certainly does work, it has been scientifically proven. NLP has not, as you also said.

As science has shown little related to "consciousness & the subconscious" as you said, all we can go on is our own heuristics and experiences, so I'm not going to criticise you for that, as you may in fact be right.

Thanks for the discussion.

These lads are a complete joke. How can a lady possibly find these vanity queens/completely into themselves types to be attractive? I always question the psyche of the woman that actually gets with these type of airheads.

They are generally like minded :)

As you say, hypnosis certainly does work, it has been scientifically proven. NLP has not, as you also said.

And yet, in many US states, it is still illegal to advertise yourself or practice as a hypnotist, probably because of the scientific community or rather, the psychology community were so hell-bent against allowing it.

The problem with Hypnotism is that it really comes down to the practitioner and the manner in which he/she practices it. I have studied hypnosis on practitioner courses, and I suck at it. :D However, on the other hand, I've been hypnotized into deep trance, with suggestions planted which have seriously helped my shaking disorder. My shaking disorder is scientifically/medically connected to too much adrenaline being produced by my body, but hypnosis works better than the drug treatments.

NLP is based on Hypnosis. It's just a further step.
    As science has shown little related to "consciousness & the subconscious" as you said, all we can go on is our own heuristics and experiences, so I'm not going to criticise you for that, as you may, in fact, be right.

I'd suggest that conventional science has gone out of its way to discredit anything that doesn't fall within its more traditional areas. We see so much "science" based on mathematics which we are told is proven... but its only proven based on the level of the maths of the time.
    Thanks for the discussion.

Sure. I like to talk. And I like minds open to possibilities. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd tick a lot of the boxes for being alfa.. Military career, bouncer for over 20 years, Judo black belt, 6'1'' and built, biker (rarely ride less than a 1000cc).

But I can be soft as hell, for example the end of the movie 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'. I was absolutely bawling and couldn't look up at the screen.

Although I'm very straight and have never had a single gay thought I'd consider myself 'gay friendly' and have always said that if I was single and met a guy who made me happy I'd like to think I'd go with that.

I do believe in Alfa males, I think I'm alfa.. Dunno, OP you recently said a photo I posted of myself was how you imagined I'd look, do I come across as alfa?.

Oh, I'm not a natural leader but I find a lot of people look to me for leadership.

[I'm 52 in March if that matters]

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Feels Good Man

Adopt an attitude of 'I don't give a ****'. See yourself as the prize. Never apologise for yourself and your masculinity.

Believe you are an alpha and you will start to act like an alpha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

I'd tick a lot of the boxes for being alfa.. Military career, bouncer for over 20 years, Judo black belt, 6'1'' and built, biker (rarely ride less than a 1000cc).

But I can be soft as hell, for example the end of the movie 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'. I was absolutely bawling and couldn't look up at the screen.

Although I'm very straight and have never had a single gay thought I'd consider myself 'gay friendly' and have always said that if I was single and met a guy who made me happy I'd like to think I'd go with that.

I do believe in Alfa males, I think I'm alfa.. Dunno, OP you recently said a photo I posted of myself was how you imagined I'd look, do I come across as alfa?.

Oh, I'm not a natural leader but I find a lot of people look to me for leadership.

[I'm 52 in March if that matters]

Dear GOD!
    Did you slay those club *insert expletive for sexually promiscuous female* back in the day? I'm guessing you struggled with high class women though, aye?

• Advertisement

Adopt an attitude of 'I don't give a ****'. See yourself as the prize. Never apologise for yourself and your masculinity.

Believe you are an alpha and you will start to act like an alpha.

Ughh please.... I think 'prize pr1ck' is a more appropriate term for that sort of mindset.

Advertisement