Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alpha Male - does he really exist?

Options
  • 07-01-2018 2:44am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As humans, we love trying to label people and put them into boxes and categories. In reality, people are usually much more complex than that and most people I know don’t really fit neatly into boxes.

So with this in mind, what think yis of the so-called “Alpha” male? The natural leader. The man’s man. Does he really exist? Who do you think could be described as an alpha male and why? Do you consider yourself an alpha male? Is the alpha male the guy who gets all the women?

What makes a guy an alpha male?

As for people thinking that the supposed “Alpha” male cannot be gay, try telling that to the likes of Gareth Thomas, Keegan Hirst (both former rugby team captains) or Donal Og Cusack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I thought this thread was usually started by the PUA or choresexguy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A bloke I work with is alpha.
    He's strong (fit, works out etc) tall, handsome.
    Crucially, he's also very social and uses all of the above to position himself naturally as the alpha.
    He's the go to guy for advice and for the rest of us to feel good.

Us other mere mortals in work acknowledge it withouts ever saying it.

The fooker is 25.

I'm 50.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

They exist alright

And they are more often than not, total knobheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've sent you my phone number by PM.

We all know Alpha males. They exist, absolutely. Alpha women equally so. You don’t need a list of random celebrities, nor does it matter what their sexuality is as far as I can tell.

Is this thread just a mechanism to pit people against each other, to give those with a particularly progressive social bent an opportunity to scoff at those of us who refuse to play along with silly popular culture trends?

Well, to hell with that. Celebrate the Alphas. Survival of the species depends on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

All this alpha or beta male ****e is a load of nonsense.

So many lads go around thinking if only they were 6'2 or if they were bigger and stronger, or if they had loads of money or if they had a strong jawline or if they were really intelligent or if they were more talkative or if they had the ability to fly, then they might have a chance to be an "alpha".

It's such crap. Nobody is an 'alpha' and nobody is a 'beta', everyone's just in between somewhere.

The only thing anyone should do is be comfortable with yourself. The world is full of people with insecurities who faff around worrying about **** about themselves that doesn't matter. Life's a lot easier when you realise no amount of wishing you were more like "<Insert popular guy's name here>" will make you them.

There's not enough people in the world who are fully acceptant of themselves imo, so just being one of them is all that one should aspire to be.

So many lads go around thinking if only they were 6'2 or if they were bigger and stronger, or if they had loads of money or if they had a strong jawline or if they were really intelligent or if they were more talkative or if they had the ability to fly, then they might have a chance to be an "alpha".

It's such crap. Nobody is an 'alpha' and nobody is a 'beta', everyone's just in between somewhere.

The only thing anyone should do is be comfortable with yourself. The world is full of people with insecurities who faff around worrying about **** about themselves that doesn't matter. Life's a lot easier when you realise no amount of wishing you were more like "<Insert popular guy's name here>" will make you them.

There's not enough people in the world who are fully acceptant of themselves imo, so just being one of them is all that one should aspire to be.

Do you squat and if so why?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Do you squat and if so why?

Yeah I squat.

I squat cause I want to squat more weight, and when I've squatted more weight I want to squat even more.

Well, that right there is what happens when people get medals for participation instead of just for the top results.

Some people are Alphas. Then there’s most of the rest of us. Right at the bottom of the pile are the losers, the deadbeats, the dreggs.

We’re not all just getting along. We’re not all the same, just trying to make our way and blah blah blah.

If you want to accept yourself just as you are, failings and weaknesses and all, go right ahead. Slide down the scale. Somebody else will step on or over you. That’s the way of the world.

Some Alphas are naturals, socially capable, natural pack builders and leaders. Some have become Alpha by grifting and fighting their way to the top. Every one of them rises above the crowd and the mundane existence of the halfwit that thinks we’re all equal.

Alphas are absolutely real.

Yeah I squat.

I squat cause I want to squat more weight, and when I've squatted more weight I want to squat even more.

Sounds pretty alpha to me that statement : )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nah.
    We're animals at base.

Alpha exists.

It just is.

I don't think any less of myself in recognising one.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Well, that right there is what happens when people get medals for participation instead of just for the top results.

Some people are Alphas. Then there’s most of the rest of us. Right at the bottom of the pile are the losers, the deadbeats, the dreggs.

We’re not all just getting along. We’re not all the same, just trying to make our way and blah blah blah.

If you want to accept yourself just as you are, failings and weaknesses and all, go right ahead. Slide down the scale. Somebody else will step on or over you. That’s the way of the world.

Some Alphas are naturals, socially capable, natural pack builders and leaders. Some have become Alpha by grifting and fighting their way to the top. Every one of them rises above the crowd and the mundane existence of the halfwit that thinks we’re all equal.

Alphas are as real as your need for self acceptance.

lol this is some top-tier bull****

It's such a stupid "kill or be killed" outlook on life which just misses the point of life completely.

What is "success"? It's so subjective because nobody can pin it down, and that's why the "they'll step all over you" line is completely wrong.

All that's worth gaining from life is happiness, and nobody needs any amount of material things to achieve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

tastyt wrote: »
    They exist alright

And they are more often than not, total knobheads.

Like a friend of mine told a group of my female friends as we were sitting in a bar one night and they were complaining about men....if 100 lads walked in here and 99 of them were sound,yous would find the d!ckhead...infact you would be fighting over him

AllForIt wrote: »
    Sounds pretty alpha to me that statement : )

It might to you, but to me and most likely to others, it doesn't. That's my point really, there is no one thing someone can point to and say "that's alpha af". Most people just don't care what someone says/does/looks like, so there's no point trying to achieve a goal which will never be achieved.

Incidentally, lifting attracts a certain 'type' who are typically full of **** and come out with this type of 'alpha' talk all the time.

I like lifting cause it's fun. Other people like reading or cycling cause it's fun to them. Lifting is no more an 'alpha hobby' than any other hobby imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

JupiterKid wrote: »
    As humans, we love trying to label people and put them into boxes and categories. In reality, people are usually much more complex than that and most people I know don’t really fit neatly into boxes.

So with this in mind, what think yis if the so-called “Alpha” male? The natural leader. The man’s man. Does he really exist? Who do you think could be described as an alpha male and why? Do you consider yourself an alpha male? Is the alpha male the guy who gets all the women?

What makes a guy an alpha male?

As for people thinking that the supposed “Alpha” male cannot be gay, try telling that to the likes of Gareth Thomas, Keegan Hirst (both former rugby team captains) or Donal Og Cusack.

Watch this professor. He might just change your life.

lol this is some top-tier bull****

It's such a stupid "kill or be killed" outlook on life which just misses the point of life completely.

What is "success"? It's so subjective because nobody can pin it down, and that's why the "they'll step all over you" line is completely wrong.

All that's worth gaining from life is happiness, and nobody needs any amount of material things to achieve this.

You’re a student in your early 20’s. You can be forgiven for thinking you know what success, life, happiness and all that means.

Forgiven for thinking it but still wrong. People are dicks. Success on a personal level is subjective, as a member of a socially structured pack it’s much less so. Never underestimate how willing a dick will be to increase their chance of success personally and socially at your expense.

Some of those dicks either are now or one day will be Alphas. Not all, but some. Alpha status is all about dominance, oftentimes combined with an abolity to effectively take a position of leadership.

If you’re happy, you’re happy. Good for you. Just keep your eyes open and you will see that Alpha males and females are very much a real thing. Pretending it’s all BS will at some point in your life end up hurting or hindering you, unless you really don’t want anything for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Like a friend of mine told a group of my female friends as we were sitting in a bar one night and they were complaining about men....if 100 lads walked in here and 99 of them were sound,yous would find the d!ckhead...infact you would be fighting over him

That didn't really happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

They are few and far between. With political correctness, hipsters, Feminist brainwashing etc doing thier utmost to kill off alpha men as such.

An alpha male is a male in control. Simples.
    Last relationship I was in the woman was big into me being "in control" as such. She was more educated than me and for all her confidence and asurdness in the outside world nothing turned her on more than me being in control of her at home.
    Why do folk think 50 shades made billions?. Wasnt men buying the books!.

JayZeus wrote: »
    You’re a student in your early 20’s. You can be forgiven for thinking you know what success, life, happiness and all that means.

Forgiven for thinking it but still wrong. People are dicks. Success on a personal level is subjective, as a member of a socially structured pack it’s much less so. Never underestimate how willing a dick will be to increase their chance of success personally and socially at your expense.

Some of those dicks either are now or one day will be Alphas. Not all, but some. Alpha status is all about dominance, oftentimes combined with an abolity to effectively take a position of leadership.

If you’re happy, you’re happy. Good for you. Just keep your eyes open and you will see that Alpha males and females are very much a real thing. Pretending it’s all BS will at some point in your life end up hurting or hindering you, unless you really don’t want anything for yourself.

Cheers for the patronising life advice...

I just can't be arsed playing a game which has no end worth having. People can join the rat race to earn as much money or control as many people as possible, but I refuse to believe they will be truly happier than people with supposedly 'less' in life than them.

This is because I see it all the time. People who supposedly 'have it all' feel bad about themselves or end up falling down.

In the end, we all depart from this earth with nothing, so nothing other than our experiences, relationships and knowing we are morally rich matters.

At least that's what I've concluded and despite my age and demographic, I don't think I'll be proven wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

They are few and far between. With political correctness, hipsters, Feminist brainwashing etc doing thier utmost to kill off alpha men as such.

Let's not forget the fact that male genitalia are starting to slowly form into vaginas at an increase of 10% YoY since 2005 in Ireland

Skinny jeans, blow dried pompadours, low cut vests etc ...next it'll be male tampons and a Dear Derek spread (the understanding uncle) next to Deirdre in the sun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

In the end, we all depart from this earth with nothing, so anything other than our experiences, relationships and knowing we are morally rich is all that matters.

Define morally rich?.

Imo unless you're a Buddhist monk you're not morally rich

Sone levels of morality? Yes but that depends on your behaviour. For most it's a low level

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think some men and women are more dominant but I think insecurity and the obsession of what others think of them drives this. Then there are people who are very confident and self-assured. I'd prefer to be the latter than the former.

Yes, us humans are animals but we also have a powerful brain, a mind and a conscience so were are clearly more than driven by purely animal instincts. Anyone who think the world is dog eat dog and that you have to step over others to succeed is a very insecure and unhappy person.

It's important to be happy in life and not be fixated on comparing yourself to others all the time. That is a recipe for misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's important to be happy in life and not be fixated on comparing yourself to others all the time. That is a recipe for misery.
    Why did you start a fucking thread on it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

So...not you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Anyway...

Yeah, in any group, a group leader tends to emerge. Without a leader, things tend to go awry.

But who the leader, or Alpha, is, can change, depending on the purpose or objective of the group.

Objectives vary from organising a piss up, to blowing up the Guns of Navarone.

It's an efficient means to achieve end result.

If Alpha is defined in a narrow context (physical prowess, social skills, whatever), that's not really Alpha - that's just description of abilities/ qualities.

If Alpha means 'better than me', then yup, lots of them around - in most contexts, but not all.

In short, we're all potential Alphas, depending on the group objective. It means nothing.

Risk takers, now THERE'S an interesting group of sociopaths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

CUsmfbcUEAAugsy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

pone2012 wrote: »
    Let's not forget the fact that male genitalia are starting to slowly form into vaginas at an increase of 10% YoY since 2005 in Ireland

Skinny jeans, blow dried pompadours, low cut vests etc ...next it'll be male tampons and a Dear Derek spread (the understanding uncle) next to Deirdre in the sun...

Dudes shaving every minute tiny hair off their body. Ugh!. Cut if off lads why dont ye!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sounds like we have communist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Honestly it's getting harder and harder to tell this is an Irish forum. 'Alpha male'? Who talks like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

pone2012 wrote: »

Motley Crue looked liked women and they shagged half of LA

Advertisement