Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

And what about the poor suckers that work for a living and have had to move to Leixlip or Drogheda because they were the only places they could afford to buy?? Do their family and friend ties not matter??

They have the means to buy or rent a property in those areas. The people that I know presenting as homeless haven't got the means to buy or get a mortgage and are ignored by private landlords, who have the luxury of picking and choosing tenants due to high demand, so don't even consider rent allowance applicants.

They are homeless in Dublin so have to be housed by a local authority in Dublin. Many I know are in hotels or hostels and have to trek across the city on to bring kids to school each morning and collect them in the evening.

I think it's pointless shifting these folks down the country where they are alienated from family friends, children are uprooted from school etc. Also the majority of jobs are in Dublin, so moving them reduces chances of employment. The desirable areas of the country are going to face the same property shortage as Dublin.

The people in support of this idea have bought into the FG ideology of punishing the poor for being poor and completely ignore the shambles of policies from the government, not to mention the preferential rates on loans NAMA are currently giving to developers who helped to cause this housing problem during the boom. Far easier to kick people when they are down I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why wouldn't they be going to the larger towns in Ireland?

Because the larger towns have their own housing problems.
    All these rural ghost estates were introduced in tax exempt areas such as Cloonfad, Tulsk, Bellanagare, Scramoge purely for the reason of incentivising these and other very rural areas.

These houses are now lying idle, derelict and vandalised,getting all the copper and lead ripped out of them and being filled with waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Because they've heard of the legendary stinginess of Andy From Sligo.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    school bus scheme is not free in rural Ireland
    you have to pay for it.
    however, most rural villages have schools. buses are not required.

lets take a small rural village in Longford. eg Abbeylara.
    houses available? check
    school needs more pupils? check
    small village shop? check
    village pub? check
    sports facilities - check
    bigger town nearby with larger supermarket? Granard - check
    public transport to Dublin if needed - Longford - check.

Lets take Athlone instead.
    houses available? check. Yup. and plenty of land nearby for more.
    school needs more pupils? Need, no. Space for more, yes. Could easily reopen another two schools to compensate if needed.
    small village shop? check. Plenty.
    village pub? check. Plenty.
    sports facilities - check. Plenty.
    school bus scheme? Yup. Available. Needed? Only if you decide to live in the countryside.

It's funny the way many posters here talk about moving them to the countryside and then picks a tiny village or a town that's completely rundown as an example.

Yes! Lets pick Longford, because it's a hole and easier to pass off as impossible. Or a village in the middle of nowhere, because Dubliners are really going to love that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

school needs more pupils? Need, no. Space for more, yes. Could easily reopen another two schools to compensate if needed.
    school bus scheme? Yup. Available. Needed? Only if you decide to live in the countryside.

It's funny the way many posters here talk about moving them to the countryside and then picks a tiny village or a town that's completely rundown as an example.

Yes! Lets pick Longford, because it's a hole and easier to pass off as impossible. Or a village in the middle of nowhere, because Dubliners are really going to love that. :D

Is there any coco housing left in Athlone?
    I dont think so.
    Planning permissions also being reduced in south of the county so as to encourage development in the northern part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Athlone is the contryside?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you are saying that people who actually live in these places already are deprived?

I don't think so. Social supports in this country are actually quite generous.

The no jobs issue will not apply, if a Dublin family has not bothered to work will it?

People have to adapt. Those commuting from afar because they cannot afford to live in Dublin for example. But at least they are working and contributing.

I just do not understand this babying of people. A house, income from DSP, kids taken to school by bus, shopping can be delivered.

What exactly is your point?

school bus scheme costs a hell of a lot of money. shopping delivery costs also.
    There is a significant group of homeless SW people who are largely lifers. These should be targeted for cheaper built rural housing than given expensive homes in Dublin in deference to low paid workers families

again this is not viable due to cost. if it was cheaper to house these people in rural areas they would be there. the reality is it's either going to be more expensive, or it's going to become a bunch of dumping grounds which will end up with social problems that will cost us more then what we were trying to solve.
    It's not the buildings that causes the ghettos. It's certain people living in them. So create a policy to remove those that indulge in the behaviour that causes it. The residents themselves could determine who is causing issues and empowered to vote out the troublemakers.

we actually have that system already, however the trouble makers intimidate other residents. so they are unlikely to report them.
    Apart from the many culchies moving to Dublin for work to be fair to return the favour, Dublin basically subsidises the rest of the country financially.

the fact that dublin partly subsidizes the country financially is irrelevant to anything as it's the job of the capital city to contribute to the running of the country. people come from the country to work in dublin is because it offers the opportunities elsewhere doesn't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They have the means to buy or rent a property in those areas. The people that I know presenting as homeless haven't got the means to buy or get a mortgage and are ignored by private landlords, who have the luxury of picking and choosing tenants due to high demand, so don't even consider rent allowance applicants.

They are homeless in Dublin so have to be housed by a local authority in Dublin. Many I know are in hotels or hostels and have to trek across the city on to bring kids to school each morning and collect them in the evening.

I think it's pointless shifting these folks down the country where they are alienated from family friends, children are uprooted from school etc. Also the majority of jobs are in Dublin, so moving them reduces chances of employment. The desirable areas of the country are going to face the same property shortage as Dublin.

Plenty of working people have had to move outside the Pale to get housing. They would love to swop with the "entitled" cohort, you know, those not working and living in social housing in Dublin.

I am sure you can see that. But you probably won't because you may have a certain mindset that says everyone is entitled to everything. Eh, no they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Why do people think this is a Dublin problem?

Here is an article from last may which states there are 1000 people on the athlone housing list:
    http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/05/4119274-over-a-1000-people-waiting-on-athlone-housing-list/

1500 on longford's list last november:
    http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/exclusive-1500-households-longford-social-housing-list/

There are small towns across the country who have seen nothing but social housing developments due to the cheap land but have not had the jobs or investment to support this, and there is a danger of creating a two tier country, wealthy towns vs poor towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Here is an article from last may which states there are 1000 people on the athlone housing list:
    http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/05/4119274-over-a-1000-people-waiting-on-athlone-housing-list/

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/exclusive-1500-households-longford-social-housing-list/

There are small towns across the country who have seen nothing but social housing developments due to the cheap land but have not had the jobs or investment to support this, and there is a danger of creating a two tier country, wealthy towns vs poor towns

Go way with your facts and figures :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Oh. Shock! Horror! The injustice of it all! Just Imagine... having to pay.

The service is there. Bloody hell.

Calm down, the service is there because people pay for it.

school bus scheme costs a hell of a lot of money. shopping delivery costs also.

Terrible isn't it that people might have to pay something towards their way of life.

Think of the savings they make not having to drive the kids to school or drive to the supermarket. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

We don't want or need them in the countryside we've enough of crime and problems as it is without Dublin exporting more problems to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I keep hearing this on boards as if having kids is a conscious choice

Find an adult and ask them how kids are made.

toptom wrote: »
    We don't want or need them in the countryside we've enough of crime and problems as it is without Dublin exporting more problems to us.

But Dublin has to take in all you fekkin lot every day ha ha. Lighthearted in case you don't get the vibe.

Dublin is great, it's where everyone wants to be. And those who can't afford it moan here about rural school buses etc. But the GAA will see y'all through so relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Find an adult and ask them how kids are made.

They are made when female goats are mounted by male goats when the female goat is in heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gatling wrote: »
    It actually make perfect sense moving people out from the major cities to rural areas that have suffered from population decreases due to high immigration ,
    It would revitalise small villages and towns around the country ,

And raise crime rates, lets be honest, any dubs iv seen moved to the countryside have cause nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Gatling wrote: »
    It actually make perfect sense moving people out from the major cities to rural areas that have suffered from population decreases due to high immigration ,
    It would revitalise small villages and towns around the country ,

And raise crime rates, lets be honest, any dubs iv seen moved to the countryside have cause nothing but trouble.

All them ?

I've a couple of minutes before I head out to do a night of break ins , so do elaborate.

Thread is just dubs vs. residents of other 25 counties hahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

pgj2015 wrote: »

1000s of dubs move to the country side to work and buy a house they can afford. That's a big statement to say all dubs are trouble makers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

All them ?

I've a couple of minutes before I head out to do a night of break ins , so do elaborate.

Any dubs who have been moved down the country to free houses have always caused trouble, they come down with that im from dublin so im hard and somehow special attitude, the ridiculous walk and attitude problem, become know to the guards very soon.

• Administrators Posts: 13,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

school bus scheme costs a good bit of money. shopping delivery costs money.

I live in a rural area. My children get the bus to school. For 1 child the school bus cost, for the year (9-10 months/roughly 36 weeks) is €110. That works out at about €3 a week for my child to get to and from school. I actually have 3 children using the bus, and the total cost of the bus for the year is capped at €220. That works out at about €6 per week for the 3 of them (€2 each per week).

I don't think that's "a good bit of money". Then again, I'm used to having to pay for things that I need to use.

With Smaller towns, there's less need for public transport internally, and I can get a bus to Dublin on the hour every hour.

not every town is like yours. you are judging the rest of the country by your situation and that isn't viable. unless you are on the free travel scheme, the bus costs money. internal transport ultimately doesn't matter as these people wouldn't be housed in the towns and even if they were, unless they are going to be able to scrape together the commuting costs to their job in dublin, they are going to have to give it up and go on the wellfare as the small towns have few jobs for the demand.
    Job opportunities, sure. But the rest of us manage to survive... and let's assume your earlier remark that they're already unemployed is accurate, then job opportunities wouldn't be such an issue since they're already on welfare.

it would be an issue for me as a tax payer who will likely have to pay increased costs in some form for them to live in rural ireland.
    School bus schemes? Check. Shopping delivery? Check. Although, that person could get off their fat ass and walk the 2 miles to shop, and get a bus back part of the way.

school bus scheme costs a lot. shopping delivery costs. walking 2 miles to a shop isn't always viable for many reasons. busses only exist in some areas. you haven't a clue about the actual realities of rural ireland.

Plenty of working people have had to move outside the Pale to get housing.

irrelevant. and actually, they chose to move outside dublin to get housing, because the benefits it brought them outweighed the negatives and costs for them.
    They would love to swop with the "entitled" cohort, you know, those not working and living in social housing in Dublin.

i'm sure they may, but making rural ireland a dumping ground for the poor and all else won't allow the people who moved out to buy housing to live in dublin again.
    I am sure you can see that. But you probably won't because you may have a certain mindset that says everyone is entitled to everything. Eh, no they are not.

or because we know the realities and pitfalls in relation to this proposal. it's not "self entitled" to put forward the actual realities. social cleansing doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Dublin is great, it's where everyone wants to be.

:D

It's where everyone wants to be....MISERABLE!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I don't see what they shouldn't. There's asylum seekers in hotels all over the country. And they're not allowed work. How many of the homeless have jobs?

I live in a rural area. My children get the bus to school. For 1 child the school bus cost, for the year (9-10 months/roughly 36 weeks) is €110. That works out at about €3 a week for my child to get to and from school. I actually have 3 children using the bus, and the total cost of the bus for the year is capped at €220. That works out at about €6 per week for the 3 of them (€2 each per week).

I don't think that's "a good bit of money". Then again, I'm used to having to pay for things that I need to use.

Here the bus costs €7.50 per day, no capped fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I don’t get the “won’t move to the country because my friends and family are here” argument. Every year approx 76% of school leavers from rural Ireland leave home in the Sep. following their LC. The majority never have the luxury of coming home. Life’s like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People need to be told "No"

No, you can't choose where you live because you're not paying for it.

I cannot think of a single ethical difficulty with this idea. When you're living on the state's dollar you shouldn't get MORE choices than the working poor - that would be immoral.

It's the infantilisation of grown adults - they are like toddlers holding their breath until they get their way.

NO NO NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

pjohnson wrote: »
    Here the bus costs €7.50 per day, no capped fee...

Less on a school child leap card though.

Advertisement