Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The population density of Dublin is relatively small for a capitol city, Berlin is nearly four times more dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Blimey this post has grown - i started it, goes away from computer for a couple of hours and there are over 60 replies ..

Riskymove wrote: »
    Large scale high rise blocks of Social Housing will lead to ghettoisation - that is what they learned

It isn't just Ballymun btw they have rolled back/demolished a number of such sites around the country

High rise does hold out potential for improving the general housing situation by providing affordable housing for example or more units in the system

When did we learn that? Recently? Twenty-thirty years ago? Did we learn any reasons why it occurred?

And TBH I don't agree with this idea of social housing except where it is severely limited in numbers. Affordable housing along with good terms for investment/payments by those involved makes far more sense to me.
    But ultimately they are not approproiate for life long living or for changing family over time etc

There needs to be sufficient supply of all types of housing

Tell that to Asian countries, where houses are solely for the rich (or for people outside the city where land isn't scarce). You'll often find the family, along with grandparents living in the apartment. Apartments are the norm for families living in most cities around the world. Houses aren't really that common, and definitely not affordable for most people with average incomes.

The difference is this sense of entitlement here. You're entitled to a house when having a family. Meh. You're entitled to a house if you can afford it. If you can't afford it, get an apartment and put up with having so many people in a relatively small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

So far? Athlone to Dublin is slightly less than an hour by car or train. Plenty of options closer to Dublin than Athlone, but even if you went as far as Galway, it's still only a bit above 2 hours travel. You really believe that 1 or 2 hours is too far? :rolleyes:

Athlone to Dublin Heuston is around 75-90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How come there are high rise complexes around the world that only millionaires can afford to live in?

These are apartment blocks too.

Maybe it says something about the people in them than the buildings themselves. Buildings don't turn themselves into ghettos and their occupants into scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

There are thousands of these people, jobless, homeless.

Why not,ya know,train these people to like,build stuff.

Like houses.

Jobs providing houses made by the formerly jobless homeless.

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Athlone to Dublin Heuston is around 75-90 minutes.

Okie dokie. Athlone to Dublin airport by car is less than an hour. The expressway bus is similar. And the train is 75-90 minutes.

My point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I listened to a woman on the radio this morning giving out about the government doing nothing for her. The host explained that the government are paying her hotel bill every month and she said “they would be better off putting that money towards a mortgage for me”
    In a way it makes sense with the figures involved but the bang of entitlement off her was unreal.

She rang in initially to explain how tough she had it being homeless.
    She is living in a 4 star hotel room paid for by the taxpayer, with her 2 kids and her partner.
    She has no bills, in receipt of social welfare payments, children’s allowance etc. And to top it off her partner works.

One of her complaints was she had to eat out when she couldn’t go to her parents for dinner. Also complained about having to get up early because the school was too far away.

I get that there are many genuine cases but this woman and the many more like her need to get a grip on reality. Makes a mockery of actual homeless people imo.

I listened to a woman on the radio this morning giving out about the government doing nothing for her. The host explained that the government are paying her hotel bill every month and she said “they would be better off putting that money towards a mortgage for me”
    In a way it makes sense with the figures involved but the bang of entitlement off her was unreal.

She rang in initially to explain how tough she had it being homeless.
    She is living in a 4 star hotel room paid for by the taxpayer, with her 2 kids and her partner.
    She has no bills, in receipt of social welfare payments, children’s allowance etc. And to top it off her partner works.

One of her complaints was she had to eat out when she couldn’t go to her parents for dinner. Also complained about having to get up early because the school was too far away.

I get that there are many genuine cases but this woman and the many more like her need to get a grip on reality. Makes a mockery of actual homeless people imo.

You may get used to this sense of entitlement, cos its only going to get worse as the years pass.

Keep handing these folk things, they want more the next time.

Ireland is a country full of moaners, and its getting worse. From this brigade, to the ones I heard on the radio the other day claiming our hospitals are like Third World hospitals. Sh1t like that makes my blood boil. If these folk had to live in another country for a few weeks, they'd know how good they have it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

s4uv3 wrote: »
    A lot of posts in this thread giving out about homeless people, the unemployed, and junkies playing the system. Really, imo, it's the system that's completely fuuuuucked. If the system wasn't so lenient and playable, we wouldn't have half these problems.
    Hate the game, not the playaz.

I literally was just about to post exactly this! What in gods name are people on about! Of course the the entire thing is a piss take! But if it is there to be abused, people will do it! Like anyone would. Its the system that is the problem, people taking advantage of the system, legally, as if it isnt human nature :rolleyes: it doesnt take just the lowly peasants to do this, sure dont venture capitalists, the vulture funds, everyone push things as far as they can "legally" and often also illegally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

....of course when the Gov rubberstamps the Right to Abortion,the country will be rid of all the homeless problems!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I literally was just about to post exactly this! What in gods name are people on about! Of course the the entire thing is a piss take! But if it is there to be abused, people will do it! Like anyone would. Its the system that is the problem, people taking advantage of the system, legally, as if it isnt human nature :rolleyes: it doesnt take just the lowly peasants to do this, sure dont venture capitalists, the vulture funds, everyone push things as far as they can "legally" and often also illegally?

I suppose you're right.

Apple are meant to pay 12.5% tax but pay 0.05% cos they can. Same logic I guess.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If these folk had to live in another country for a few weeks, they'd know how good they have it in Ireland.

They're never going to live in another country because they can't live that far from Dublin. If the countryside is too far, then another country is beyond them, :rolleyes: (although they might be enlightened from their sun holiday to Ibiza).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

They could be mixed in estates with working people

So some people have to work so they can afford to pay for a house while these wasters get a house for free right next door. Fuk that, I say put the parents back on the streets and the kids up for adoption. Probably not a popular opinion on here but my opinion none the less.

ethical wrote: »
    ....of course when the Gov rubberstamps the Right to Abortion,the country will be rid of all the homeless problems!

Hardly. Unless they can get welfare support to pay for the abortion. Will it count as a disability benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Here’s the link if anyone wants to listen.
    She comes in after the first caller...

http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/Dublin_Talks/98FMs_Dublin_Talks/64348/Woman_Claims_Homeless_People_Are_Scamming_The_System

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Pelvis wrote: »
    National unemployment is approx 6%. Are you saying the majority of those in or waiting for social housing are unemployed?
    Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Here’s the link if anyone wants to listen.
    She comes in after the first caller...

http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/Dublin_Talks/98FMs_Dublin_Talks/64348/Woman_Claims_Homeless_People_Are_Scamming_The_System

Mm, I think I'll pass. I don't like listening to things that make me want to go on murderous rampages.

A lot of them also work and their place of work is more than likely Dublin. If they are having difficulty affording somewhere to live in Dublin, I doubt they'd be able to afford the commute.

I doubt many of them are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Move them to Sligo.

I'd rather be homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Step 1: Build wall around Cork. It will be the greatest wall ever built.

Step 2: put homeless people in Cork, along with all people from Cork who had previously escaped.

Step 3: Profit???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Many country people have to move far away from their home and families to attend third level or secure employment.

Life often involves making sacrifices to better oneself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I have lots of friends who ended up in places like Cavan, Laytown, Stamullen wherever the f*ck that is, Clonee etc, all from Dublin 5 area. They all commute to work.
    Why should social housing recipients get to live in their desired area if people breaking their bollocks working can't?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

I and many others like me had to leave my home county to get work, why can't these bums do the same. How is that unfair on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Step 1: Build wall around Cork. It will be the greatest wall ever built.

Step 2: put homeless people in Cork, along with all people from Cork who had previously escaped.

Step 3: Profit???

Strep 4 : Make the people from Cork pay for it!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Move all those homeless Dubs to Mayo. It might improve their chances of winning an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Riva10 wrote: »
    why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?
    "Out of sight, out of mind springs" to mind. Bit of embarrassment to tourists I suppose.
    Or you can always claim "NIMBY"

Not an embarrassment, just a needless expense to the taxpayer

If you can't provide for yourself, you shouldn't be bringing kids into the world that you can't provide for.

I keep hearing this on boards as if having kids is a conscious choice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I keep hearing this on boards as if having kids is a conscious choice

Is it an unconscious choice then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dublin is now a major hub, with all the jobs and the attractiveness that it offers for workers, families etc.

Obviously it will always be hard to house people who think they are automatically entitled to a house in this European capital, where house prices and rents are sky high and every property is over-subscribed.

Got to thinking, how do other major European cities handle these issues? Surely Paris, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, London, Manchester, Amsterdam, Copenhagen etc all have people who want houses in the centre of the city, near everything.

How do their Governments handle this?

they dont.....their situations are far worse than here.

number of rough sleepers -

London - 7,500
    Paris - 30,000
    Madrid - 700

Dublin - 184

and yet theres anarchy over the Dublin figures. if anything, it shows the government are actually doing a great job here to keep the numbers so low.

Advertisement