Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I keep hearing this on boards as if having kids is a conscious choice

You can excuse one accident, maybe even 2, but people with 3 or 4 kids who can't afford them must be braindead, or trying to work the system. It's not the 1950s, contraception is available.

I keep hearing this on boards as if having kids is a conscious choice

Responsible use of birth control seems to work for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you can't provide for yourself, you shouldn't be bringing kids into the world that you can't provide for.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Is it an unconscious choice then?

The problem isn't in having kids. But if that's how you feel, you can throw that up on a few posters for the repeal referendum. Doesn't help much after the fact though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they dont.....their situations are far worse than here.

number of rough sleepers -

London - 7,500
    Paris - 30,000
    Madrid - 700

Dublin - 184

and yet theres anarchy over the Dublin figures. if anything, it shows the government are actually doing a great job here to keep the numbers so low.

I agree with that! this "homeless" issue has been blown way out of proportion, as is typical here, the bleeding heart brigade and RTE might do well to focus on bigger scandals, like the following. I have the largest amount of sympathy for workers being killed on rent or ridiculous property prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The problem isn't in having kids. But if that's how you feel, you can throw that up on a few posters for the repeal referendum. Doesn't help much after the fact though.

Is abortion the only answer for people who don’t want/can’t afford kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Building up is a good idea but not a solution.

And it isn't just people/families refusing to go down the country, it's people refusing to move either side of the River Liffy within Dublin.

What's to say, the same people won't just refuse an apartment, because they want a house and a garden for the 10 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I have lots of friends who ended up in places like Cavan, Laytown, Stamullen wherever the f*ck that is, Clonee etc, all from Dublin 5 area. They all commute to work.
    Why should social housing recipients get to live in their desired area if people breaking their bollocks working can't?

The mind boggles. People move out of Dublin and commute there to work because they can’t afford it so their tax money can be used to house people that don’t work in that area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

splinter65 wrote: »
    Is abortion the only answer for people who don’t want/can’t afford kids?

2 of you seem to be rather extreme in suggesting they are adding to the problem, why not provide an extreme solution in response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

lots of sympathy here, sure why not send them to a camp with gas showers,
    it worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think there has been an explosion of people who are "without their own home" vs rough sleepers.
    When I was growing up, you lived at home, moved out, got a job, got married and when you could afford it , bought a house, where you could afford it. Now it seems that many people skip the "got a job/bought where you could afford it" step. So some people are declaring themselves "homeless" by choice to get a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The mind boggles. People move out of Dublin and commute there to work because they can’t afford it so their tax money can be used to house people that don’t work in that area?

Exactly, they are entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

_Brian wrote: »
    Small villages are not revitalised by turning them into a dumping ground for hoards of families on social welfare with no means nor often desire to support themselves.

What you are referring to are satellite ghettos, a way of a city dumping its problems so the space taken up by these people can be developed for those not on social welfare.

But again the majority are not on social welfare

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Because only a furreva home next to mammy will be good enough.

With good draft free windows....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think there has been an explosion of people who are "without their own home" vs rough sleepers.
    When I was growing up, you lived at home, moved out, got a job, got married and when you could afford it , bought a house, where you could afford it. Now it seems that many people skip the "got a job/bought where you could afford it" step. So some people are declaring themselves "homeless" by choice to get a house.

It's not as simple as just "declaring your self homeless" , when you present to your local authhority , an assessment is done.And you can assessed as with or without priority.

You're registered and your details are on a system.
    Depending on circumstance you may have to use hostels, b and b.s. , hotels hubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

If you can't provide for yourself, you shouldn't be bringing kids into the world that you can't provide for.

Dont you think if that was applied that it would mean that only the richer people get to have offspring, and we effectively create a two tier reproductive society.

Of course, there may be good points to that, but have you considered that? and the implications that would have?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Building up is a good idea but not a solution.

I don't quite get that logic.

Building up would mean more accommodation options for people. Different price ranges on apartments would cater for different incomes. Building up would decrease the demand for accommodation and therefore the rental market rates would drop as demand drops except in areas which are highly sought after. Building up would also lessen the problem of parking since apartment buildings would have parking areas below the main complex.
    What's to say, the same people won't just refuse an apartment, because they want a house and a garden for the 10 children.

They probably will. Which is why we need a better screening for those who are genuinely homeless versus those looking to game the system. Those gaming the system should be forced to accept what is offered to them, and if they want better, they can work/save like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

2 of you seem to be rather extreme in suggesting they are adding to the problem, why not provide an extreme solution in response?

Why is asking people who are not in a position to currently put a roof over their kids heads to move a couple of hundred miles an extreme suggestion?
    They’re not in Texas and being asked to move to Alaska.
    It’s only going to be temporary while the Dublin housing crisis is ongoing.

manonboard wrote: »
    Dont you think if that was applied that it would mean that only the richer people get to have offspring, and we effectively create a two tier reproductive society.

Rubbish. The richer people? Who are we talking about? What kind of incomes determine that you're one of the "richer" people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A lot of them also work and their place of work is more than likely Dublin. If they are having difficulty affording somewhere to live in Dublin, I doubt they'd be able to afford the commute.

You are forgetting that we have a min wage in this country by law. There is no job in Ireland that would see them unable to pay for the commute from affordable villages. Things would get tighter and luxuries would be foregone, but that is what economics is all about - prioritizing expenditure when resources are limited. Alternatively there would have to be a short period of transitional employment and they get work elsewhere.

It is just another excuse and the 'entitlement' culture has to end. If the state is paying the roof over your head then the state can put you wherever they might choose. If you insist on Dublin - fine - but YOU pay for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

Dublin people that buy their own house but can only afford one outside of Dublin have family and friend ties too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My simplistic view at the moment without thinking about it too hard (gives me a headache) - why dont they move the families out of Dublin to other rural parts of Ireland, not into hotels but do up some of these houses going on the market for 70,000 or whatever it is and ghost estates left by the celtic tiger?

Are you lonely in Sligo Andy?

Ush1 wrote:
    They don't want to move too far away from their mas gaff.

Never gets old does it?

Oh wait, it does.

Green&Red wrote:
    To rebuke some of the arguments above - nobody is suggesting moving them all to the one estate, nationwide would eliminate the ghetto issue - people in line for a free house are on social welfare - therefore no job - over 90% of the homeless in Ireland are unemployed, using the remainder to stop this is lunacy

Untrue.

Green&Red wrote:
    To rebuke some of the arguments above - nobody is suggesting moving them all to the one estate, nationwide would eliminate the ghetto issue - people in line for a free house are on social welfare - therefore no job - over 90% of the homeless in Ireland are unemployed, using the remainder to stop this is lunacy

Untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Green&Red wrote: »
    Before Christmas there was a report on Six One about a family in Clare who had gotten a new council house in time for Christmas. The father of the family was interviewed saying how delighted they were that they had gotten the house, they had been on the list for seven years.
    Camera proceeds to pan around and show four kids under the age of seven
    My blood boiled

I think she had something like 8 kids in total and lamented the fact she couldn't always get them what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They do it in London quite well ,you live in emergency accommodation or are homeless the council find you a property in a cheaper area ,you get keys and or a train,bus tickets likely In another county and you either accept there and then or they discharge you from their duty care and your off the housing list ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I couldn't see many dyed in the wool working class Dubs taking to living in 'the country', many have a sort of parochial Dublincentric mentality akin to the sort of Londoners who've never been to Bristol or Birmingham in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just been hearing on the radio news this morning that some families in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin and other Hotels in Dublin that the hotels will no longer be accepting payments for 'homeless' families from various departments soon ...

My simplistic view at the moment without thinking about it too hard (gives me a headache) - why dont they move the families out of Dublin to other rural parts of Ireland, not into hotels but do up some of these houses going on the market for 70,000 or whatever it is and ghost estates left by the celtic tiger?

you aren't the first to suggest this and you won't be the last. i have been in favour of this myself at one stage but changed as i found it's not anywhere near as feasible as i believed.
    the problem is that to make this happen would likely cost a ridiculous amount of money, in terms of getting the services up to scratch, or even implemented in the first place. also, the parents of most of these families are in work and they would have to give it up if moved, as long distance commuting would be unaffordible and unsustainible due to their wage.
    dublin among other cities do have the services best placed to help these people and actual opportunities, which is ultimately why these people need to stay there.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

you aren't the first to suggest this and you won't be the last. i have been in favour of this myself at one stage but changed as i found it's not anywhere near as feasible as i believed.
    the problem is that to make this happen would likely cost a ridiculous amount of money, in terms of getting the services up to scratch, or even implemented in the first place.

What are these services that Dublin has that the rest of the country doesn't have? How are Dublin services so superior?
    also, the parents of most of these families are in work and they would have to give it up if moved, as long distance commuting would be unaffordible and unsustainible due to their wage.

Long distance? If we were talking about 200 miles away, I might agree with you. But most of the examples for people being moved to are within 60-80 miles from Dublin.

Considering the money currently being spent on them, it would be perfectly feasible to offer commuting discounts for rail services if they don't have access to their own car.

I do find it interesting though. My sister is commuting every morning from Athlone to Galway on the train (her husband drives her to the station from where they live outside town). Nobody is screaming about how such a commute is expensive or long distance for her... is that just because she's got a decent job and pays a mortgage?
    dublin among other cities do have the services best placed to help these people and actual opportunities, which is ultimately why these people need to stay there.

Specifics. I'd love to know all these special services that Dublin has, that cannot be found elsewhere.

Advertisement