Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?

Options
  • 05-01-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

Just been hearing on the radio news this morning that some families in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin and other Hotels in Dublin that the hotels will no longer be accepting payments for 'homeless' families from various departments soon ...

My simplistic view at the moment without thinking about it too hard (gives me a headache) - why dont they move the families out of Dublin to other rural parts of Ireland, not into hotels but do up some of these houses going on the market for 70,000 or whatever it is and ghost estates left by the celtic tiger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Because that's how you get ghettos.

You don't want ghettos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Because Sinn Fein and the AAA etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

MagicIRL wrote: »

You don't want ghettos.

They could be mixed in estates with working people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's been ten years, those ghost estates must be in some state by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Just been hearing on the radio news this morning that some families in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin and other Hotels in Dublin that the hotels will no longer be accepting payments for 'homeless' families from various departments soon ...

My simplistic view at the moment without thinking about it too hard (gives me a headache) - why dont they move the families out of Dublin to other rural parts of Ireland, not into hotels but do up some of these houses going on the market for 70,000 or whatever it is and ghost estates left by the celtic tiger?

Good man Andy.
    And why does the working men and women in this country have to pay for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A lot of them also work and their place of work is more than likely Dublin. If they are having difficulty affording somewhere to live in Dublin, I doubt they'd be able to afford the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They don't want to move too far away from their mas gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Because they're not really homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Move them to Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

MagicIRL wrote: »

You don't want ghettos.

On a cold and grey Roscommon morning ....................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Because only a furreva home next to mammy will be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anytime you hear the argument that people on the list for a house should be moved to houses outside of Dublin you hear the counter that they will be too far away from their support network. Absolute nonsense which has no study to back up.

To rebuke some of the arguments above
    - nobody is suggesting moving them all to the one estate, nationwide would eliminate the ghetto issue
    - people in line for a free house are on social welfare - therefore no job
    - over 90% of the homeless in Ireland are unemployed, using the remainder to stop this is lunacy

Before Christmas there was a report on Six One about a family in Clare who had gotten a new council house in time for Christmas. The father of the family was interviewed saying how delighted they were that they had gotten the house, they had been on the list for seven years.
    Camera proceeds to pan around and show four kids under the age of seven
    My blood boiled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anytime you hear the argument that people on the list for a house should be moved to houses outside of Dublin you hear the counter that they will be too far away from their support network. Absolute nonsense which has no study to back up.

To rebuke some of the arguments above
    - nobody is suggesting moving them all to the one estate, nationwide would eliminate the ghetto issue
    - over 90% of the homeless in Ireland are unemployed, using the remainder to stop this is lunacy

Before Christmas there was a report on Six One about a family in Clare who had gotten a new council house in time for Christmas. The father of the family was interviewed saying how delighted they were that they had gotten the house, they had been on the list for seven years.
    Camera proceeds to pan around and show four kids under the age of seven
    My blood boiled

couples with children are just as entitled to housing as couples with no children
    I don't get the fume

yeah, people shouldn't be allowed to refuse housing.
    if they do, they should go back to the bottom of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good man Andy.
    And why does the working men and women in this country have to pay for this?

Who do you think is paying to put them up in the hotels at far more expense?

Whilst I don't think moving them all down the country is necessarily a good idea, putting them up in hotels at massive expense is definitely a terrible one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    couples with children are just as entitled to housing as couples with no children
    I don't get the fume

yeah, people shouldn't be allowed to refuse housing.
    if they do, they should go back to the bottom of the list

If you can't provide for yourself, you shouldn't be bringing kids into the world that you can't provide for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I know a girl who's a receptionist in a Dublin hotel, Dublin City Co Co have a 120 grand bill with them for housing homeless people. This is just one small hotel..

She says that sometimes its genuine family's or couples, but a lot of them is just junkies and their mates who leave the place in a wreck afterwards. They've had guests complain plenty of times because of them screaming and wrecking the place throughout the night.

I heard a report was released with some of the excuses provided by people, someone in Cork said no to a house because the view of the sea outside made her seasick. Another said there was not enough space in the back garden for a trampoline.

I remember listening to an FM104 talk show 15 years ago, with a young girl of about 14 on it, saying she was getting up the duff on purpose to get a free house and didn't care where the father went after. Was her plan all a long.

People should be put in homes wherever available, if they refuse, let them stay with their parents or go homeless.

I work for a modest wage, I've to pay my own way, buy my own house, pay for my dental and hospital treatments. For someone to say they get all that free, then refuse the offer of a house based on location is insanity. Where's the incentive to actually want to work for a living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Move all the culchies out of Dublin, free up some space. Problem solved.

Go away boggers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?
    "Out of sight, out of mind springs" to mind. Bit of embarrassment to tourists I suppose.
    Or you can always claim "NIMBY"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Green&Red wrote: »

You can have a job and still be entitled to social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

Why can't they go live with their family or friends until they're back on their feet then?

You shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it, that's why people are purposely not working to get a free house.

Unfair is for the rest of us to pay for everything, so others don't have to pay for ANYTHING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

question is, how many couples in hotels suddenly be able to move back home if asked to move down the country?

Some genuine people being put up in hotels but others are only there cos they know its ''speeds up'' their application for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

But it's okay for working families to have to do so in order to buy a home?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Pelvis wrote: »
    You can have a job and still be entitled to social housing.

You're talking about the minority in fairness, its much easier to solve the major problem and sort out the anomalies afterwards
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't get the fume

Absolutely they are, in fact more entitled to them some would argue

If however I am on the waiting list for a new house then I need to budget for what I have rather than increasing the pressure and expecting others to solve it for me.
    People who have jobs and are say in a two bedroom house and cannot afford a larger one will not just go ahead and have four more kids

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

do you realise how many people and families had to move away to get work or an affordable house in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

I was born and raised in Dublin but couldn’t afford to live anywhere near my family home or pretty much anywhere in Dublin so myself and my partner bought a house in West Meath and both commuted to our work in Dublin for many years until we could afford to relocate.

Why then should anyone be entitled to a social property because of family / friends support reasons etc? Particularly anyone not in employment. Whatever happened to people working hard to get what they want ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Free house down the country wouldn't be worth half a million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Who do you think is paying to put them up in the hotels at far more expense?

Whilst I don't think moving them all down the country is necessarily a good idea, putting them up in hotels at massive expense is definitely a terrible one

They should not be put up in hotels.
    I wouldn't mind be put up in the Gresham, but I can't because I am not homeless and I can't afford it, which is a ridiculous scenario.

I also do not want to fork out 70,000 "or whatever" of tax payer money to give the Dublin homeless houses in rural areas of Ireland.

Advertisement