Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why dont they move 'homeless' families out of Dublin to rural parts of Ireland?

Options

Comments

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

So far? Athlone to Dublin is slightly less than an hour by car or train. Plenty of options closer to Dublin than Athlone, but even if you went as far as Galway, it's still only a bit above 2 hours travel. You really believe that 1 or 2 hours is too far? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Because, even homeless people have family and friend ties and I think its unfair to give somebody a housing option so far outside the city they are from.

What about the people who have to move to a county away from their family etc. because their work takes them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So unfair! I mean, really, it's not like they get handed loads of free money for not doing any work, and even more free money for popping out kids that they supposedly can't afford, and free rent for accommodation whilst the majority of people who do work in Dublin have to pay extortionate rent and can't buy the houses they want due to the obscene prices and mortgage rates.

The poor things, obviously expecting them to move away from their family to get their free house for contributing nothing to society other than raise a load of kids who'll likely end up leeching social welfare too is completely unfair and they should be given their house's where they damn well want them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Move all the culchies out of Dublin, free up some space. Problem solved.

Go away boggers.

But then who would steal yore jobs and wimmins? Although we could rent our houses back you youse for mucho euros...🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

things are bad enough for them without having to live in the sticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

major bill wrote: »
    question is, how many couples in hotels suddenly be able to move back home if asked to move down the country?

Some genuine people being put up in hotels but others are only there cos they know its ''speeds up'' their application for a house.

It does not speed up their application for a house , that's an illusion trotted out every so often.

An individual or family is assessed according to their needs when they present as homeless .

Right now people are being from hotels and B&B.s. into family hubs with main criteria is that you commit to looking for private rented and if you want you can hang on hoping a local authhority will house you.

When registered as homeless , you can be assessed as being with or without priority according to your need an example now would be that a male in his late twenties or early thirties with no disabilities ilk health etc. will be told he will wait about right years to be housed by a local authhority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If these people were actually truly homeless they would accept a home anywhere and be genuinely grateful for the chance to start a new life.

But no, for so many they feel somehow entitled to be housed in the most expensive places in the City just because they have friends there.

Plenty of people have to move away from home to better themselves rather than depending on social welfare for their whole lives.

I’m all for removing supports to people who turn down appropriate housing when it’s offered - you don’t like what the state has offered at the expense of the tax payers - fine, off you go and sort something better yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

c_man wrote: »
    It's been ten years, those ghost estates must be in some state by now.

Most aren't ghost estates anymore ,only a handful need to be finished off which is apparently happening this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

People do realise that there's waiting lists and **** outside of Dublin as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It actually make perfect sense moving people out from the major cities to rural areas that have suffered from population decreases due to high immigration ,
    It would revitalise small villages and towns around the country ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Pelvis wrote: »
    You can have a job and still be entitled to social housing.
    Green&Red wrote: »
    You're talking about the minority in fairness, its much easier to solve the major problem and sort out the anomalies afterwards

National unemployment is approx 6%. Are you saying the majority of those in or waiting for social housing are unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dublin is now a major hub, with all the jobs and the attractiveness that it offers for workers, families etc.

Obviously it will always be hard to house people who think they are automatically entitled to a house in this European capital, where house prices and rents are sky high and every property is over-subscribed.

Got to thinking, how do other major European cities handle these issues? Surely Paris, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, London, Manchester, Amsterdam, Copenhagen etc all have people who want houses in the centre of the city, near everything.

How do their Governments handle this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    But then who would steal yore jobs and wimmins? Although we could rent our houses back you youse for mucho euros...🀔

Eh hellloooo, the fordinurs could!

All joking aside, DCC need to start building up instead of out. That would help for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Gatling wrote: »
    It actually make perfect sense moving people out from the major cities to rural areas that have suffered from population decreases due to high immigration ,
    It would revitalise small villages and towns around the country ,

Small villages are not revitalised by turning them into a dumping ground for hoards of families on social welfare with no means nor often desire to support themselves.

What you are referring to are satellite ghettos, a way of a city dumping its problems so the space taken up by these people can be developed for those not on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

A lot of posts in this thread giving out about homeless people, the unemployed, and junkies playing the system. Really, imo, it's the system that's completely fuuuuucked. If the system wasn't so lenient and playable, we wouldn't have half these problems.
    Hate the game, not the playaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And what about the poor suckers that work for a living and have had to move to Leixlip or Drogheda because they were the only places they could afford to buy?? Do their family and friend ties not matter??

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to thinking, how do other major European cities handle these issues? Surely Paris, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, London, Manchester, Amsterdam, Copenhagen etc all have people who want houses in the centre of the city, near everything.

How do their Governments handle this?

Most cities have skyscrapers or similar to combat their population demands.

Those who were lucky to buy property ages ago in the center, continue to live there and those with the appropriate incomes can buy/rent in the center also. The remainder live in the suburbs and commute in the mornings with the aim that as they get older/promoted/wealthier then they can either buy something closer to the center or move into the countryside.

Most of the middle-aged professionals (in relationships/married/wChildren) I know, generally want to live in the countryside away from the pollution, noise etc of the city. It's the single people that push for the city areas. But ultimately the closer you are to the center, the more expensive everything is, and therefore out of reach for most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh hellloooo, the fordinurs could!

All joking aside, DCC need to start building up instead of out. That would help for a start.

You can't just build up and expect that to solve the issue. Apartments have regularly been over priced, under sized and terribly built in this country.

s4uv3 wrote: »
    A lot of posts in this thread giving out about homeless people, the unemployed, and junkies playing the system. Really, imo, it's the system that's completely fuuuuucked. If the system wasn't so lenient and playable, we wouldn't have half these problems.
    Hate the game, not the playaz.

But I'm afraid there is a lot of players too, more than I think are ever going to be revealed.

Do you honestly believe there are nearly 9000 people homeless now in Ireland? Do you, honestly?

Or are the numbers being inflated by those who are being recorded as homeless when they aren't.

I think its time we changed how we count homelessness in this country, cos the way we are doing it now is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Be too far away from Dublin airport to depart for their sun holiday maybe?

• Advertisement

Most cities have skyscrapers or similar to combat their population demands.

Those who were lucky to buy property ages ago in the center, continue to live there and those with the appropriate incomes can buy/rent in the center also. The remainder live in the suburbs and commute in the mornings with the aim that as they get older/promoted/wealthier then they can either buy something closer to the center or move into the countryside.

Most of the middle-aged professionals (in relationships/married/wChildren) I know, generally want to live in the countryside away from the pollution, noise etc of the city. It's the single people that push for the city areas. But ultimately the closer you are to the center, the more expensive everything is, and therefore out of reach for most.

So basically, do we think allowing high rise in Dublin would be a major help in our 'crisis'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You can't just build up and expect that to solve the issue. Apartments have regularly been over priced, under sized and terribly built in this country.

and Ballymun Towers really worked out well didn't it

Building up means more than having an apartment block with 4 floors...

Having Apartment complexes with 20 floors, and four towers per complex, (along with the services and underground parking common in other countries) would seriously help the situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Building up means more than having an apartment block with 4 floors...

Having Apartment complexes with 20 floors, and four towers per complex, (along with the services and underground parking common in other countries) would seriously help the situation.

"Under Sized," was meant to mean per unit. Not the building itself.

Any apartment I've lived in, or been in has always been very small.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So basically, do we think allowing high rise in Dublin would be a major help in our 'crisis'?

I do.
    Riskymove wrote: »
    and Ballymun Towers really worked out well didn't it

And just because it didn't work once means that we can't assess the problems/failures, and implement a better system the next time?

It's bizarre this attitude that just because something didn't work before, therefore we can't ever do it again with improvements.

Plenty of countries around the world use apartment blocks. You really believe that we can't create a better apartment complex environment than, say, China?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Just been hearing on the radio news this morning that some families in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin and other Hotels in Dublin that the hotels will no longer be accepting payments for 'homeless' families from various departments soon ...

My simplistic view at the moment without thinking about it too hard (gives me a headache) - why dont they move the families out of Dublin to other rural parts of Ireland, not into hotels but do up some of these houses going on the market for 70,000 or whatever it is and ghost estates left by the celtic tiger?

because while some are willing to do anything to ensure the wellbeing of their families, the majority of them refuse to move outside of a comfort zone. you also then have the fact that some people who are homeless, actually have jobs.

sure even 25% of people reject houses in Dublin, it would probably be close to 90% if it was Dingle or Dunmanway.

"Under Sized," was meant to mean per unit. Not the building itself.

I've lived in Apartments with the same sq footage for the ground floor of my house. It really depends on the specifications when the apartments are built. I've had both small, large and rather huge apartments before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

And just because it didn't work once means that we can't assess the problems/failures, and implement a better system the next time?

Large scale high rise blocks of Social Housing will lead to ghettoisation - that is what they learned

It isn't just Ballymun btw they have rolled back/demolished a number of such sites around the country

High rise does hold out potential for improving the general housing situation by providing affordable housing for example or more units in the system

But ultimately they are not approproiate for life long living or for changing family over time etc

There needs to be sufficient supply of all types of housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I agree, thats why I chose the word "help" and not "solve".

• Advertisement

But those would suit singles and couples without kids rightly.

Advertisement