Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My point that she wasn't all men are bastards, she wouldn't have used the example of what that model said if she was pushing that narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MikeenRonanJr

I have to say I miss Michael Graham. The way he used to make Finley or Kelly squirm whenever they filled in for George was wonderfully entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It' hilarious how often people get her name wrong. She's Sheila today, she was Claire the other day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is it just me or is there a bit or slots repeating.

Today they started with the "election" but then they also ended with the "election" and had a bit of an "election" chat in the middle too.

Tom Humphries was discussed for a few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

She was at it again yesterday. Trying to get her guests & callers to back up her belief that FF had been planning this all along. Most presenters would start a program like that by how it all started. Yet I didn't once hear her tell the listeners about lying in the dail or what a disaster she was as Minister for Justice or in fact that it's not the first time her honesty has been brought into question

She nailed her colours firmly to the FG flag yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In fairness you would assume that listeners of news based radio station don't need a recap. I don't necessarily agree with her opinion but there really wasn't any point rehashing story that was all over the media for days before.

meeeeh wrote:
    In fairness you would assume that listeners of news based radio station don't need a recap. I don't necessarily agree with her opinion but there really wasn't any point rehashing story that was all over the media for days before.

Well there was when she took the stance that FF had orchestrated this out of nowhere.

I get that she has herself own political opinions and agenda but she totally whitewashed the facts. This is over a year in the making. Fitzgerald should have been sacked a year ago. This isn't the first time she's been selective with the truth.

Have a listen back to yesterday's show. Remembering that MaCabe is the victim here not Fitzgerald, Ciara did a terrible job yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McCabe is a man though and Fitzgerald is a woman

I really thought ciara did a great job on the child grooming, and sexual abuse of women. But since then I'm feeling it's very light weight. Almost like the old magazine Woman's Own, only a radio show version. It's more suited to 2fm in a morning slot to replace Gerry Ryan.

I'm asking myself is her show suitable for a News station? That's not to say that it doesn't have a market but news and current affairs? I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Only caught a small segment of the segment on bitcoin this lunchtime but Kelly (as ever) acted as if she knew more than the contributor (from Deloitte), referred to JP Morgan as a person more than once ("he said" etc.) and came across about as clueless as one could possibly come across on this subject, despite the aforementioned implied knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Only caught a small segment of the segment on bitcoin this lunchtime but Kelly (as ever) acted as if she knew more than the contributor (from Deloitte), referred to JP Morgan as a person more than once ("he said" etc.) and came across about as clueless as one could possibly come across on this subject, despite the aforementioned implied knowledge.

Anything outside her immediate sphere of interest (medical issues or feminism) she seems to have little to no knowledge of. Makes for painful listening, especially when it's blindingly obvious that she's winging it.

Same issue as when NT shoehorned David McWilliams into the breakfast slot years ago, the man knows a lot about economics, but f*ck all about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jarlath Regan is really kinda awful. Smug git

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The good doctor has really got her feet under the table now and is never on her own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

was anyone listening to that sexist load of horse manure she was on about today. she was on about women(no mention of me) not being able to work due to kids so she had some hippy on that wanted employers to allow mothers(no mention of fathers) to bring their kids to work and that employers need to pay to have safe spaces for the mothers to breast feed and look after the kids.

I wonder would these workers be willing to be paid an appropriate percentage of their collegues wages that represents all the time lost looking after the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

was anyone listening to that sexist load of horse manure she was on about today. she was on about women(no mention of me) not being able to work due to kids so she had some hippy on that wanted employers to allow mothers(no mention of fathers) to bring their kids to work and that employers need to pay to have safe spaces for the mothers to breast feed and look after the kids.

I wonder would these workers be willing to be paid an appropriate percentage of their collegues wages that represents all the time lost looking after the kids.

It was her stand-in, Andrea Gilligan, who presented the show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It was her stand-in, Andrea Gilligan, who presented the show today.

sorry forgot to mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Amusing moment on the show today when Ciara had a guest on to talk about how to convey your sexual preferences to your partner, without being too blunt about it.
    "So should he or she just say it, just spit it out?"

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Did anybody read this:

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/dr-ciara-kelly-should-old-acquaintances-be-forgot-at-midnight-36444263.html

"The real high was getting Lunchtime Live, my radio show on Newstalk. It was for me actually, like winning the Lotto. I'd worked towards it and wanted it for a very long time. But media isn't like other jobs where you get a gig based on seniority or qualifications".

She stood silently by as George, her old mentor and friend, was vilified and hounded out of his job by the usual liberal bullies that seem to have taken over our media. And for her this is a personal victory. Ciara, I wouldn't go celebrating your ill-gotten gains just yet, because if your first few months are anything to go by, you will be back in the surgery before the end of the year.

She stood silently by as George, her old mentor and friend, was vilified and hounded out of his job by the usual liberal bullies that seem to have taken over our media. And for her this is a personal victory. Ciara, I wouldn't go celebrating your ill-gotten gains just yet, because if your first few months are anything to go by, you will be back in the surgery before the end of the year.

Ciara publicly stuck up for George. I heard her being interviewed for ages on Radio One. She most definitely did stick up for him. If you heard the interview she actually puts you in George's shoes and you feel for what he & his family were going through.

I do agree that the show is a mess under her control but I do take exception to anyone claiming that she stood idly by & did nothing. I hear her defend him. Not his words because they were wrong but she definitely stood up for him

Link to interview : http://www.rte.ie/radio1/marian-finucane/programmes/2017/0916/904979-marian-finucane-saturday-16-september-2017/?clipid=102605021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

She stood silently by

No she didn't stand silently by.

She was a pretty vocal friend of George at the time despite what he said.

• Advertisement

No she didn't stand silently by. She was a pretty vocal friend of George at the time despite what he said.

She only spoke about it when
    a) George had already been suspended.
    b) She had already taken over his job.
    Speaking out at this late stage was a contrived, self serving act and was effectively the same as saying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Oh good. This discussion again. Hurray.

She only spoke about it when a) George had already been suspended. b) She had already taken over his job. Speaking out at this late stage was a contrived, self serving act and was effectively the same as saying nothing.

That's simply not true.
    First off she nor anyone else have come forward defending what George said. He said it was wrong to say it, Pat Kenny, Ciara kelly and everyone else said that he was in the wrong for what he said.

She, Pat Kenny etc came forward to defend his character not what he said.

The interview linked above on previous post she did not have his job at that stage & she went into great detail defending him.

At the end of the day George got himself into hot water. No one else can be blamed for his mistakes. To my knowledge not a single TV or radio personality has defended what George said because it was wrong. I think it very unfair to lay any blame on ciaras shoulders.

Personally I don't think she'll last long on the lunchtime slot. I'd imagine they have lost a ton of listeners. She's too lightweight in that slot imo.

It's a shame that this thread has so many posts taking about her rather than the show or her in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh right, Ian O' Doherty. Preparing the audience for Hooky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Anyway where is George these days and when is he due to start again??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Anyway where is George these days and when is he due to start again??

tomorrow at 08:00-10:00

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's simply not true.
    First off she nor anyone else have come forward defending what George said. He said it was wrong to say it, Pat Kenny, Ciara kelly and everyone else said that he was in the wrong for what he said.

We're obviously not going to agree on this one Sleeper, but I think the strongest evidence for my case is when Kelly was on with George the Monday after the whole thing erupted hugely. She proceeded to make a statement at the start of the interview with regard to what he said (which was fair enough), but then proceeded to treat him like something that she scraped off the bottom of her shoe for the rest of the interview. There was no preface like "George, I know I owe you my entire broadcasting career, but I disagree ...." or "George, you have been a very good friend to me, but I disagree.... ". Her treatment of him in that interview buried him.

Only was he was fully out of the way and she was in the job, did memories of their friendship come flooding back to her. People, let's not be naive here. She saw the opportunity, and she took it. That is my reading of the situation.

I see there is no upload of the Vegan interview from earlier. I think they have pulled it or may have been asked to pull it by the Vegan person.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Lunchtime_Live/

Oh and for the George fans he was on with Neil Prendeville

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/neil-prendeville-on-redfm/

It's the top link, but he's not on it until about 30 minutes from the end of the show. Looking forward to his show tomorrow, hoping that he hasn't been completely castrated altogether before going in to the studio.

• Advertisement

I see there is no upload of the Vegan interview from earlier. I think they have pulled it or may have been asked to pull it by the Vegan person.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Lunchtime_Live/

I listened to a couple of seconds of it but it wasn't for me at all, so what happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement