Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did i say she was criticising or condoning it? No. I just said it was nonsense, just like the whole show she presents. Maybe read properly before getting on that high horse of yours.
    Oh, come on, don't bs me, you claimed there was "women good, men bad" agenda. And the same subject was covered during breakfast and is in all other media.

But yeah I'm sure being outraged about everything is a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

meeeeh wrote:
    Actually she was criticizing the negative attention Jenifer Lawrence was getting for that dress. There was no women good men bad agenda. Jenifer Lawrence was slut shamed by feminists and she was critical of that. But to understand that you need to engage at least one brain cell.

Jennifer Lawrence came out fighting last night. Said it was her choice to wear the dress. She loved it so much that she'd spend 5 minutes in the snow for a photo shoot if needed rather than cover up the dress.

Jennifer Lawrence gets a lot of stick no matter what she does. I love that she is not afraid to fight back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh, come on, don't bs me, you claimed there was "women good, men bad" agenda. And the same subject was covered during breakfast and is in all other media.

But yeah I'm sure being outraged about everything is a full time job.

You obviously don't listen to the show that often if you don't think that is the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

You obviously don't listen to the show that often if you don't think that is the agenda.

You must listen to it a lot
    Even though you think it's nonsense
    I'll never understand why people do this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Standing Bear

Today - during coverage of snow problems - Ciara praised her old Newtalk mate Barry Kenny (Iarnrod Eireann) as one of the hardest working men in Ireland. Lol. Does she think he's out shovelling the snow off the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I find it very funny all the people who dislike her show yet still listen just to give out and then be outraged when the JNRL figures come out wondering how she gets so many listeners. Must be no other radio stations in Ireland or they do not know how to use a tuner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Standing Bear

I find it very funny all the people who dislike her show yet still listen just to give out and then be outraged when the JNRL figures come out wondering how she gets so many listeners. Must be no other radio stations in Ireland or they do not know how to use a tuner

In fairness, I only stick her on for background when PK finishes - the alternative is the horrendous Ronan Collins Show on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

In fairness, I only stick her on for background when PK finishes - the alternative is the horrendous Ronan Collins Show on RTE.

Or even

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are other alternatives. Music if you have good broadband or allowance on phone try tune in radio app. But the figures will show you as a listener

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mod: Please, let's not go down the route of arguing about why people listen. Nobody needs to defend why they listen to a show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

In fairness to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

This is the simple point as far as I'm concerned. There is NOTHING else on at this hour. After the great choice between PK and SOR from 10am to 12pm, there is a gap of a decent show from 12pm to 1pm. Unless somebody can suggest something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's annoying alright. I have to switch off when Kelly comes on though, I just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is the simple point as far as I'm concerned. There is NOTHING else on at this hour. After the great choice between PK and SOR from 10am to 12pm, there is a gap of a decent show from 12pm to 1pm. Unless somebody can suggest something?

spotify_2014_0.png?itok=G4OTrLGf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sterling_One

I just switch off when she comes on, not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shes pushing her bias public alcohol "health" bill agenda again claiming the publishing of the fact that consumption is down is an attempt to derail the bill.

She, a so called doctor, is actually saying the facts of a situation should not be published cus they show the holes in her agenda, she should have her license stripped for such blatant misinforming of the public in regards to a health issue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

VinLieger wrote: »
    Shes pushing her bias public alcohol "health" bill agenda again claiming the publishing of the fact that consumption is down is an attempt to derail the bill.

She, a so called doctor, is actually saying the facts of a situation should not be published cus they show the holes in her agenda, she should have her license stripped for such blatant misinforming of the public in regards to a health issue

Agree totally. I heard the show today for the first time in a long time. She rants and raves, spouting misinformation and disinformation. I turned it off in the end.
    I won't be tuning in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Had it on in the car as I was flicking through stations and forgot she was on at that time. Incredible really on one hand....but not surprising either. Is there any editorial control in NT at all or can presenters just spout whatever nonsense they like? I know the answer btw, no need to state the obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL they just aired a NT apology during the break to apologise and retract statements made by Ciara blaming a doctor for her fathers death.

She obviously hasn't learned her lesson with making false statements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Genghis

LOL they just aired a NT apology during the break to apologise and retract statements made by Ciara blaming a doctor for her fathers death.

She obviously hasn't learned her lesson with making false statements

The apology online

http://www.newstalk.com/Apology-and-Clarification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

How in God's name did she think she was not identifying her doctor by saying it was the doctor who cared for her father. I wonder will the doctor take a case against her? A few more of these and that could be the end of Lunchtime Lectures With Ciara Kelly. Please god she'll be out the door soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I wonder will the doctor take a case against her?

I doubt the apology was driven by Newstalk. I'd guess that the doctor or his/her representatives have already been in touch demanding an apology. And I'd say that'd be the end of it.

I doubt the apology was driven by Newstalk. I'd guess that the doctor or his/her representatives have already been in touch demanding an apology. And I'd say that'd be the end of it.

She effectively said that this doctor led to her fathers death. That's bad enough coming from a lay person (my sister says it about my dad's doctor in private) but coming from another doctor? That can be a very damaging statement. She might end up in court yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    She effectively said that this doctor led to her fathers death. That's bad enough coming from a lay person (my sister says it about my dad's doctor in private) but coming from another doctor? That can be a very damaging statement. She might end up in court yet

If he contacted NT and they issued an apology, surely his case would be pretty weak.

If he contacted NT and they issued an apology, surely his case would be pretty weak.

She's a doctor saying that he contributed to her father death. She hasn't made an public apology nor retracted her claims as far as I know. That lea her claims about this doctor out there.

George Hook apologies twice himself and admitted he made a mistake. As far as I know she hasn't done this yet

She's a doctor saying that he contributed to her father death. She hasn't made an public apology nor retracted her claims as far as I know. That lea her claims about this doctor out there.

George Hook apologies twice himself and admitted he made a mistake. As far as I know she hasn't done this yet
    Newstalk and Dr. Kelly wish to take this opportunity to unconditionally withdraw the views expressed by Dr. Kelly and to apologise unreservedly to the doctor concerned.

That's what's up on the Newstalk website which can be accessed by anyone from the public. I think his case would be a lot weaker given they were forthcoming with the apology and she never actually named him on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Get over the whole Hook thing. No sponsors will leave Newstalk because C. Kelly made a comment. The other gp could sue but then his name will be out and people will actually wonder why another doctor would think he messed up her father's treatment. The whole hysteria around Ciara Kelly is laughable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I didn't hear it, but from what I read here...

Taking the personalities out of it, is it not a case of one trained medical professional's medical opinion against another?

Quite different to Hook's ramblings.

meeeeh wrote:
    Get over the whole Hook thing. No sponsors will leave Newstalk because C. Kelly made a comment. The other gp could sue but then his name will be out and people will actually wonder why another doctor would think he messed up her father's treatment. The whole hysteria around Ciara Kelly is laughable at this stage.

It's not a thing of listeners or sponsorship leaving the station.

The station apologised. She hasn't. I don't bash Ciara Kelly. Sometimes I like her sometimes I don't. My comments have nothing to do with Newstalk or her as a broadcaster.

I'm purely suggesting that it may not be over for her. She may well be sued. A doctor on public Airways suggests that another doctor may be responsible for her fathers death. This is a very serious statement.

• Advertisement

The station apologised. She hasn't. I don't bash Ciara Kelly. Sometimes I like her sometimes I don't. My comments have nothing to do with Newstalk or her as a broadcaster.

The apology specifically starts with 'Newstalk and Ciara Kelly'. So both the station and her as a separate entity to the station are apologising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement