Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Moan Burton on for the daily woman are great slot. Seriously, every feckin day there is a women are being held down by bastard men interviews. Give it a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

aivilo wrote: »
    They are trying to do an Erica Fleming on it.
    people now "go homeless " to get pushed up the housing list

SHE was giving her "expert" opinion and pushing the forever home nonsense again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Moan Burton on for the daily woman are great slot. Seriously, every feckin day there is a women are being held down by bastard men interviews. Give it a break.

Ah well you know that you've got to follow the narrative: the men are all bad, bad bastards and de women are all perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i think Burton was taking the piss today, apparently the british houses of parliament are in Westminister, and our own are pronounced "Doyle".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Wait till the JLNR s come in.

Be all mens fault too!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Wait till the JLNR s come in.

Be all mens fault too!

:)
    Probably a tactic by NewsTalk to finally nail the lack of female presenters bullying. They have turned Hook's former show into Women's Hour(s) which will turn off a lot of the previous listenership. When the JLNR figures drop dramatically next time round they can say we tried, it was not a sucess, we are a business, we are not RTE and we have to make a profit. Only the extreme feminist ideologues could argue with that. They can say it was a well meaning experiment that failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Anne Widdecombe (not sure of spelling) interview just now was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

PCeeeee wrote: »

Ciara Kelly was absolutely brutal there. That whole point about how it should be fair enough that men have to check themselves because any past digressions by men is seemingly the fault of all of us and supposedly women have had to check themselves for millennia when it came to sexual politics was completely daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Ciara Kelly was absolutely brutal there. That whole point about how it should be fair enough that men have to check themselves because any past digressions by men is seemingly the fault of all of us and supposedly women have had to check themselves for millennia when it came to sexual politics was completely daft.

Aye but Anne shut that down fairly quick. A reasonable woman is kryptonite to the increasingly daft identity style feminism so beloved of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

PCeeeee wrote: »

Widdecombe was a welcome antidote to usual anti-man rampant feminism that Kelly and her friends go on with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Heard somebody on the radio the other day waxing on about Ciara Kelly's prog and how it was great to have a show with no PC bull - and there was me thinking that (Dr) Ciara Kelly was PC personified.

On my pet hates list - on a recent show she repeatedly referred to Pearse Street Station, and today she seemed to be even worse than usual with her pronunciation of News as Noos - two more reasons not to like the show. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Heard somebody on the radio the other day waxing on about Ciara Kelly's prog and how it was great to have a show with no PC bull - and there was me thinking that (Dr) Ciara Kelly was PC personified.

On my pet hates list - on a recent show she repeatedly referred to Pearse Street Station, and today she seemed to be even worse than usual with her pronunciation of News as Noos - two more reasons not to like the show. :D

Think she always pronounces it noos? Chris Donoghue does it too.

Is it a speech impediment of some sort? Seems odd when you work for NEWStalk.

Haven't heard her new show yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It took me a while to figure out the outrage, I guess the massive problem, for which she should obviously be fired for, is the fact she was referring to the train station which is just Pearse Station, as opposed to the garda station which is Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Heard somebody on the radio the other day waxing on about Ciara Kelly's prog and how it was great to have a show with no PC bull

Were they having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S Katie. *cue outrage*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Were they having a laugh?

Sadly they were serious. I warmed to her a bit today when she admitted liking the Barrys Tea Christmas Ad but it was shortlived as she launched into some other pc bull that I can't even remember now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sadly they were serious. I warmed to her a bit today when she admitted liking the Barrys Tea Christmas Ad but it was shortlived as she launched into some other pc bull that I can't even remember now. :D

Seriously though, how could they arrive at that position? Did they listen to one minute of one show where the host happened not to be in PC-mode?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I take it the Thursday song bit is gone completely, don't think I've ever heard it in the new show.

I don't remember hearing the film bit and the Wed story from the past bit, I take it they're gone too.

All 3 were very good bits, sad to see them go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

quintana76 wrote: »
    Probably a tactic by NewsTalk to finally nail the lack of female presenters bullying. They have turned Hook's former show into Women's Hour(s) which will turn off a lot of the previous listenership. When the JLNR figures drop dramatically next time round they can say we tried, it was not a sucess, we are a business, we are not RTE and we have to make a profit. Only the extreme feminist ideologues could argue with that. They can say it was a well meaning experiment that failed.

You seriously think Newstalk are running a show that it thinks will fail in JNLR (and by extension fail with advertisers), all the time paying a presumably good salary to CK & team just so Newstalk can bin it all because it is afraid of "bullying" as you call it? That's some serious 4D chess manoeuvre. Especially given Newstalk didn't seem to have had any issue giving short shrift to Sarah McInerney, Sarah Carey & Dil Wickremasinghe and had no problem giving the Irish Times the two fingers when called out on sexism. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You seriously think Newstalk are running a show that it thinks will fail in JNLR (and by extension fail with advertisers), all the time paying a presumably good salary to CK & team just so Newstalk can bin it all because it is afraid of "bullying" as you call it? That's some serious 4D chess manoeuvre. Especially given Newstalk didn't seem to have had any issue giving short shrift to Sarah McInerney, Sarah Carey & Dil Wickremasinghe and had no problem giving the Irish Times the two fingers when called out on sexism. :rolleyes:

This part worries me. Dennis O Brian owns most of the print media & Newstalk. I don't like that he tries to use this muscle silence other points of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This part worries me. Dennis O Brian owns most of the print media & Newstalk. I don't like that he tries to use this muscle silence other points of view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I agree with their actions, I'd have the same concerns you have about media control.
    I am saying however that their stance is a good indication that they don't have an issue with "bullies".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Did anyone else think that Ciara went overboard today looking for a victim of the foot fans?

I thought she hand the jailing of the sports journalist and rape victims very well. Even the abuse against female celebrities I thought was good for the most part. But today I thought she took the cause a little bit too far

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that Ciara went overboard today looking for a victim of the foot fans?

I thought she hand the jailing of the sports journalist and rape victims very well. Even the abuse against female celebrities I thought was good for the most part. But today I thought she took the cause a little bit too far

I heard some of the show today and she spoke to some woman, (didn't catch her name), in connection with the Victoria's Secrets incident. I thought her attempt to get this woman to condemn the action of the fans was pathetic. When that failed she tried to get the woman caller to say that she must have had some experience of sexual harassment in the past. The caller, to her credit, said no, nothing that she could recall. Kelly gave up at that point.
    Kelly seems to have an agenda and has no time for anyone who doesn't go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aivilo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I heard some of the show today and she spoke to some woman, (didn't catch her name), in connection with the Victoria's Secrets incident. I thought her attempt to get this woman to condemn the action of the fans was pathetic. When that failed she tried to get the woman caller to say that she must have had some experience of sexual harassment in the past. The caller, to her credit, said no, nothing that she could recall. Kelly gave up at that point.
    Kelly seems to have an agenda and has no time for anyone who doesn't go along with it.
    Looking for something to be outraged at. She does my head in. The Victoria Secret thing was great fun and the woman on her way out of the shop saw the funny side .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Roger_007 wrote: »

She seemed to be suggesting that the fans would have turned menacing if the woman hadn't reacted lightheartedly like she did. Which is complete balls imo.

I thought she'd be a good addition but she has been very heavy on the gender politics which doesn't particularly interest me on a lunchtime slot. Also, the repetition of content between her show and Ivan's means I'm getting to hear hysteria over non-issues twice a day now.

What they were thinking getting rid of that hour off Moncrieff, I don't know…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus.

Some guy is a pr*ck on twitter.

That's because he's a pr*ck, not because men are bastards.

This is getting a bit much now.

Proof that people hear what they want to hear. There was no all men are bastards. And you would have also heard in the story of the sexualisation of children one of the examples used was what a woman said.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I wasn't aware of this story until now. I presumed he was some kind of sex creep from the tone of the conversation.

He called a couple of women "bitches" on Twitter. Is that what they are prattling on about?

My second and final time listening to this show. It is dreadful, she is dreadful and I look forward to her inevitable failure.

Yeah, because calling random women bitches on Twitter is an ok for anyone to do, nevermind a man with the position he holds.

Wtf is wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Proof that people hear what they want to hear. There was no all men are bastards. And you would have also heard in the story of the sexualisation of children one of the examples used was what a woman said.

Wait now. You're using evidence from a different interview to tell me I hear what I want to hear?

Fair enough.

Anyway, one thing I am sure of is that hunters are pr*cks, all of them. Weirdos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement