Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

She only spoke about it when
    a) George had already been suspended.
    b) She had already taken over his job.
    Speaking out at this late stage was a contrived, self serving act and was effectively the same as saying nothing.
    I heard her in that interview, and the rubbish she spouted. If she thought so much of George, she wouldnt have been so quick to step into his shoes. She knew well, that after the mob had crippled George, she was going to get the gig, so cue the so called loyalty, 'standing by her friend '
    Her support for George, was the same sort that doomed football managers usually get from the club charman,,just before they are sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Heard from my elderly mother that Dr Ciara was a disgrace.

Hotheaded and clearly ignoring the anomalies in her beliefs/arguments while attempting to tear the other woman to shreds.
    Ok, similar to how boorish George could be but, for a medical doctor, her head is up her arse when it comes to vegetarianism and veganism. The medical facts are that it's a healthful way of life, in fact the healthiest, if practiced correctly.
    Either her preparation, her sincerity or her open-minded was were lacking. Why villify another unless you are scared of their utterances?

George, for all his supposed flaws, is capable of hearing out views that oppose his. She has a lot to learn. So do Newstalk's management. The whole schedules gone to sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I listened to a couple of seconds of it but it wasn't for me at all, so what happened?

I didn't catch any of it, but wanted to listen back given the posts that were on this thread.

Listen back to the Ian O'Doherty interview though, they've put that up and he took the right royal p1ss out of her. :D
    I'm actually a bit surprised that they did upload that one given they pulled the Vegan segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Heard from my elderly mother that Dr Ciara was a disgrace.

Hotheaded and clearly ignoring the anomalies in her beliefs/arguments while attempting to tear the other woman to shreds.

Not really. I didn't listen from the beginning but the vegan guest was extremely aggressive, passionate and she basically lost it towards the end. She started accusing farmers and people working in abattoirs all sorts of things and did herself absolutely no favours. Ciara was smart enough to limit the reaction of other callers but the vegan guest did more damage to her cause than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This might sound weird, but what annoys me about Ciara Kelly on radio is she has this lilt in her voice where she is trying to make everything sound lovely, positive and upbeat all the time. It could be a report about children dying in a gutter but she would introduce it with her customary glee. It just sounds weird, inauthentic and impersonal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

George, for all his supposed flaws, is capable of hearing out views that oppose his.
    We must have different radios, that was one of the things that annoyed me most about Hook, he was so quick to butt in to turn the conversation back to his favourite topic, namely George Hook.
    A guest once literally said "If you think about it and if you shut up for a moment" - you don't get that from hearing people out.
    The whole schedules gone to sh1t.
    On the whole I'd agree with you there, I'm definitely throwing on some Music or RTE 1 more often than I used to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I didn't hear the interview with the vegan, so can't comment, but here's one from about a year ago with George and the same lady, Sandra Higgins. A little tense on both sides at times, but more or less both came across well enough:

https://goveganworld.com/george-hook-interviews-sandra-higgins/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

From the Goveganworld website (same link as above):

"To the embarassment of the Newstalk Radio researcher who apologised to guest Sandra Higgins for the presenter’s behaviour, Ciara Kelly defends her right to harm and kill based on personal opinion rather than established fact."

To their own embarrassment, they spelt the word "embarrassment" wrong.

Kelly got far too personally involved, she was far too b1tchy and belittling. Didn't like the way she dropped the call with Sandra Higgins and then cherry picked a few callers of similar opinion to herself. That's an old Joe Duffy trick that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

"To the embarassment of the Newstalk Radio researcher who apologised to guest Sandra Higgins for the presenter’s behaviour, Ciara Kelly defends her right to harm and kill based on personal opinion rather than established fact."

Kelly got far too personally involved, she was far too b1tchy and belittling. Didn't like the way she dropped the call with Sandra Higgins and then cherry picked a few callers of similar opinion to herself. That's an old Joe Duffy trick that one.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

clevtrev wrote: »
    tomorrow at 08:00-10:00

Caught that about 09.30. Pretty anodyne discussion analysing a pop song. Hmm, not exactly what we tune into Hook for. Maybe the earlier part was better.

Are they sticking him on that hour, knowing that most people are still in the leaba?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

Just listened to it. She would want to work on her debating technique. Arguments like "pfft" and "ah here, come on" doesn't sound great from a "professional broadcaster".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have stopped listening, the smugness is off the charts.

6Music from here on in for me.

Au revoir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I always have Newstalk on by default and listen to no other radio station, but find I have to switch it off from 12 to 2.

From Ciara, to her stand in, to every guest the have on and every topic they talk about. All annoy the bollocks off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The fact that this thread has gone so quiet says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The fact that this thread has gone so quiet says it all.

To be fair, most of the threads on boards are made up of people whinging because something has annoyed them. So it probably does say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Or it could be that's she's so bland and wallpaper-like, nobody cares?

Just not prepared to listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    To be fair, most of the threads on boards are made up of people whinging because something has annoyed them. So it probably does say something.

Maybe people who have no issues with the show should repeatedly post that, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Maybe people who have no issues with the show should repeatedly post that, too...

I have no issues with the show since I stopped listening to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

kazamo wrote: »

I have no issues with the show since I stopped listening to it
    I have no issues with the show and find her easy to listen too and less annoying than George was at this time of the day. So thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Don't listen anymore. Feel as a male the show is not aimed at me. Gave it a go but nah! Majority of topics didnt interest.

One of the things that does my head in about Newstalk in general is the way they recycle topics across the shows. It's like they don't want people to listen through the day. e.g. Monday Ivan covered Microcheating (nonsense fluff piece, but whatever).
    https://twitter.com/IvanYatesNT/status/955493531132538880

The very next day what appears on Lunchtime? You guessed it, Microcheating
    https://twitter.com/LunchtimeLiveNT/status/955923100322942978

It's worse for big events where each show feels it needs to cover the main topics of the day but without making any effort to cover different ground.

How hard would it be for the producers to make a list of topics & review, "Ah yeah, they did that yesterday, maybe we should give it a rest for a while"

One of the things that does my head in about Newstalk in general is the way they recycle topics across the shows. It's like they don't want people to listen through the day. e.g. Monday Ivan covered Microcheating (nonsense fluff piece, but whatever).
    https://twitter.com/IvanYatesNT/status/955493531132538880

The very next day what appears on Lunchtime? You guessed it, Microcheating
    https://twitter.com/LunchtimeLiveNT/status/955923100322942978

It's worse for big events where each show feels it needs to cover the main topics of the day but without making any effort to cover different ground.

How hard would it be for the producers to make a list of topics & review, "Ah yeah, they did that yesterday, maybe we should give it a rest for a while"

Oh, it's so true.

It's amazing. Both Lunchtime and The Hard Shoulder regularly get switched off for doing stuff Pat already covered in the morning.

It's fine if it's something huge, but the sort of stuff you mention shouldn't be covered once, never mind on every show.

Diet chat is a very, very common one.

Oh, it's so true.

Ivan on now and looks like he'll be covering:
    - Tipping - definitely covered on Lunchtime on Monday
    - Seats for pregnant women on trains - I'm pretty sure Lunchtime also did that this week (may have been Pat Kenny?)

Have they nothing else to talk about?
    Newstalk? More like SameOldTalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ivan on now and looks like he'll be covering:
    - Tipping - definitely covered on Lunchtime on Monday
    - Seats for pregnant women on trains - I'm pretty sure Lunchtime also did that this week (may have been Pat Kenny?)

Have they nothing else to talk about?
    Newstalk? More like SameOldTalk

it's the shyte talk that he gets people to text in about. funny dating stories. has been done to death. over to today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

doylefe wrote: »
    I always have Newstalk on by default and listen to no other radio station, but find I have to switch it off from 12 to 2.

From Ciara, to her stand in, to every guest the have on and every topic they talk about. All annoy the bollocks off me.

I've finally decided I can't listen anymore either. It is too annoying. The friendly/ happy lilt in tone for everything is too much, it sounds really inauthentic and is jarring. Also Kelly being everyones best mate who is in on all the jokes is grating. The 'common person/ common sense schtick gets old, the topics do nothing for me. It's very PC bland and uninteresting.

I liked her before as a commentator on the Right Hook but her show is just not up to snuff. I've given it quite some (enough) time now.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I've finally decided I can't listen anymore either. It is too annoying. The friendly/ happy lilt in tone for everything is too much, it sounds really inauthentic and is jarring.
    I used to enjoy the Hook show when he was on from 12pm. Not as much as his Right Hook show tbh, but it was still something worth listening to instead of Ronan Collins playing old 45s that your granny doesn't even remember. So I find the dial drifting back at 12pm, as I forget that George is no longer there. Then you hear Kelly introduce the show. That fake tone bugs me too, as well as the very contrived way that she is now introducing herself as "Ciara", which she presumably envisages will be the new brand that everybody will subscribe to. Just like "Coke", except with even more fake enrichment. I'm not sure what it is about her goody too shoes, little miss perfect, I'm always f**king right persona she thinks will get her through the year. She'll be gone before Santa comes.

I used to enjoy the Hook show when he was on from 12pm. Not as much as his Right Hook show tbh, but it was still something worth listening to instead of Ronan Collins playing old 45s that your granny doesn't even remember. So I find the dial drifting back at 12pm, as I forget that George is no longer there. Then you hear Kelly introduce the show. That fake tone bugs me too, as well as the very contrived way that she is now introducing herself as "Ciara", which she presumably envisages will be the new brand that everybody will subscribe to. Just like "Coke", except with even more fake enrichment. I'm not sure what it is about her goody too shoes, little miss perfect, I'm always f**king right persona she thinks will get her through the year. She'll be gone before Santa comes.

Ah, come on man.

If she introduced herself as Dr. Ciara, that would annoy you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ah, come on man.

If she introduced herself as Dr. Ciara, that would annoy you too.

I'm pretty sure "Ciaran" would be grand, though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement