Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A snow event possible for the east of the UK on the ECM 12z at +192hrs and then swings the winds in to the east by +216 hours.

XAvP8Y2.gif

Look how far south the jet is at +240 hours.

YGr9oLY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In contrast to the above from the ECM at day 10, the GEM has us firmly in an Atlantic zonal flow:

FEVLftW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

b9dhs3.png

:)

Just to Note any of these lows could become a trigger low off our South coast and give us an Easterly. The Scandinavian High is also making an appearance from run to run. So many scenarios at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A snow event possible for the east of the UK on the ECM 12z at +192hrs and then swings the winds in to the east by +216 hours.

XAvP8Y2.gif

Look how far south the jet is at +240 hours.

YGr9oLY.gif

That 240 from the ECM - northeasterlies passing over the snow fields (by then) of northern England & Southern Scotland and down through the Irish Sea picking up a lot of moisture in a max fetch snow shower train creating situation in low pressure with various disturbances traveling down along it ,probably with an icy surface air feed by then is a thing of beauty
    Can we dare dream of FI like that becoming a reality ?

tenor.gif?itemid=5390133

Snow risk for next Friday. Based off the GFS this evening..:D

24xpd9f.png

2cynndk.png

iqlyyf.png

200z2qa.jpg

Cant wait for the 18Z tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snow risk for next Friday. Based of the ECM this evening..:D

Cant wait for the 18Z tonight.

I love the way the snow just seems to stop as it reaches co cork. Typical! Shield is working well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭White Clover

I love the way the snow just seems to stop as it reaches co cork. Typical! Shield is working well

Long live the snow shield. My sheep have a good bit of grazing to do yet. I don't want to see or hear about snow until the last week in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That's the GFS, not the ECM. The 12z ECM is mostly dry again with only a brief shot of unstable air

ECM1-120_dge6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If there are north westerlies Cork will see snow. Always does in that set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There is no 'shield' in Cork, no more than the vast majority of southern Ireland. If anything I'd say cork gets snow more often than we do here in West Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

If there are north westerlies Cork will see snow. Always does in that set up.

Yep, Cork has gotten some decent snow more than once over the past few years from a northwesterly set up (although it tends not to last long as northwesterlies are usually very transient). It's Leinster and Co. Waterford that tend to be left bone dry (you really need an easterly of some description for the East coast to get any real covering of snow).

Classic Stuff at 120hrs.

2cqxrsw.png

fc4sud.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Classic Stuff at 120hrs.

2cqxrsw.png

fc4sud.png

Oh happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Yep, Cork has gotten some decent snow more than once over the past few years from a northwesterly set up (although it tends not to last long as northwesterlies are usually very transient). It's Leinster and Co. Waterford that tend to be left bone dry (you really need an easterly of some description for the East coast to get any real covering of snow).

Conversely it’s only easterlies that tend to bring long lasting snow. Snow from the west is Atlantic driven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Conversely it’s only easterlies that tend to bring long lasting snow. Snow from the west is Atlantic driven.

looks like it could be a dry one for much of the eastern half of the country alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Models are look great. Hopefully by the end of this run they still look as good. Way into FI more blocking and I think if the cold spell takes hold next week it could last up to the 18th but that's a big If.
    Still looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM 12z very messy in FI, lots of cold rain from day 7 onwards. Luckily it's ages away so if the pattern backs west a fair bit ala GFS it might be more interesting come the time.

ECH1-168.GIF?03-0

Good agreement on the models. If this continues like this on Tuesday might be worth starting a cold snap snow potential thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good agreement on the models. If this continues like this on Tuesday might be worth starting a cold snap snow potential thread?

UKMO on board with that set up for the end of the week. After the midweek low passes through and drags down that cold from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

One was started yesterday!

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »

One was started yesterday!
    Link?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

After a return to westerlies towards the start of next week, GFS leaves us in a lovely slack north-easterly airflow towards mid-month. To be taken with a truck-load of salt of course. :)

gfs-0-300.png?18

gfs-0-336.png?18

Brrrrr!

gfsnh-0-288.png?18

Incredible NH synoptics, PV in bits. We need these trends to continue if we want a memorable winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    gfsnh-0-288.png?18

Incredible NH synoptics, PV in bits. We need these trends to continue if we want a memorable winter...
    Is it looking good for a cold winter then?

Is it looking good for a cold winter then?

All things considered, yes, but that doesn't mean much in reality. Almost alll the teleconnections are good for a cold winter but as we know from the past, that doesn't necessarily mean a cold winter will transpire. I would say it's quite likely this will be coldest winter since 2010-2011 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A few runs on the trot now the GFS is suggesting an easterly of sorts during Christmas week.

I'm dreaming of a white.....

gfs-1-372.png?12?12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Now that is more like it and what FI is for, Fantasy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Quick question about that chart, from someone trying to understand the charts better, I understand the significance of the 850hPa temperatures with respect to snow, but the charts tells us nothing of precipitation. Is it just assumed that the Atlantic will deliver it ?

• Advertisement

Quick question about that chart, from someone trying to understand the charts better, I understand the significance of the 850hPa temperatures with respect to snow, but the charts tells us nothing of precipitation. Is it just assumed that the Atlantic will deliver it ?

In that chart Rebelbrowser posted we would likely see some streamers coming in off the Irish Sea for some lucky locations in the east. This of course also dependent on how high or low the air pressure is, dew points, thicknesses, temperature, exact wind direction amongst other variables.

I think he was just trying to show that there is deep cold showing its hand on some of the charts way out in FI - don't take anything that far out seriously though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement