Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm surprised I'm the first to comment on the very disturbed charts on show this morning. It looks likes Iberia, France and the Channel could take a real battering at what is a very busy time for travel. There are no high tides at this time which should prevent serious coastal flooding in our parts.
    Lets hope those deep lows don't track further north if it even happens.

gfs-0-204.png?6

ECM1-240.GIF?18-12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ECM is painting a different story but has been flipping and flopping in last few runs

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Cold Wintery Christmas day...

2m7c8co.png

A potential storm the day after...

10s4so8.png

Scandi High building pushing the Atlantic back temporarily.

11hce0z.png

Anything can happen next...

szy6o9.png

I just don't know anymore...my minds melted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some tight isobars still showing up in the ECM at times. Looking unsettled. Probably windy and wet for a few days at least.

tempresult_bra8.gif

tempresult_zde1.gif

Cool and wintry showers perhaps Christmas day before winds swing around more S'ly

ECH1-168_drp1.GIF

ECM1-216_ieb2.GIF

We have seen the last 2 GFS runs show a bit of cold wintery weather in FI so I think tonights 18z could be off the wall.:D

• Advertisement

Different but transient

20zsp53.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well the GFS has upped the ante on it's latest run showing a very windy event late 25th into the 26th over Ireland and showing a fast moving depression/ storm around the 28th, presently with strongest winds tracking to the S of Ireland. Of course this is evolving and will look different over the next few days and may upgrade or downgrade but it has been showing windy/ possibly stormy weather now over the last few days for the days following Christmas day.

As the US moves into the freezer over the coming days a powerful jet kicks off from W to E which seems to be the driving force behind the potential storms.

gfsna-9-156_pgd9.png

tempresult_kzy2.gif

tempresult_tpl9.gif

gfs-0-186_llv6.png

gfs-0-228_mkp3.png

v9zjT4j.gif

A long way off but worth keeping an eye on it to see how it evolves one way or the other.

AkT6fhb.gif

Interesting to see if this potential cold event in the US will have a bearing on our weather.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/942884801173913602

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/942885179948982273

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Interesting to see if this potential cold event in the US will have a bearing on our weather.

Thanks, what would the likely effect be, with that setup, on our weather?

• Advertisement

Hmm that kind of setup in US usually results in mild muck here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Villain wrote: »
    Hmm that kind of setup in US usually results in mild muck here

Certainly that amount of cold air pouring out of North America into the Atlantic gave us all the storms and flooding rains 2 or 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Certainly that amount of cold air pouring out of North America into the Atlantic gave us all the storms and flooding rains 2 or 3 years ago

Yeah 2013/2014. Last time serious cold like that coming out of the US resulted in Darwin and Christine to name but a few. Each were fairly brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

sumtings wrote: »

Ideally what we want is that cold toppling down on us, not into the states. Otherwise it's a waste of good cold as far as we're concerned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah once cold air is entrenched in the eastern half of the US it's usually zonality all the way for us, looking at the charts at the moment I think watching things unfold in North America will be the only interesting thing about the weather for the coming week, potentially getting down to -30C in some major cities for Christmas over there

The PV is still a bit of a mess but as has been the recurring theme so far this winter, the real cold is staying far away from Europe

Not so cold Christmas day on todays 12zz.:confused:

200ciki.png

sumtings wrote: »

Yea as others have said you would expect some stormy/ and possibly wet weather on this side of the Atlantic.

ECM/ GFS showing frontal passage on Christmas day with wet and windy weather .

z3CekTd.png

The latest runs by the GFS and ECM have toned down the stormy look for the 26th ( has some strong winds off the S and SW coasts ). After that no end of LP systems giving wet and windy weather at times it would seem. The track, timing and strength all over the place atm, but looks like plenty of fronts passing over the country.

OsWXgMk.gif?1

Showing NW'lys the 27th and 28th on the GFS and showing cold uppers moving over us so possibly wintry precip next week at times also.

YVtHAeI.gif?1

gfs-13-180_rnz5.png

gfs-1-204_yoh4.png

Colder from late Mon 25th showing at the moment. Looking like cold daytime temperatures and frosty nights in places.

150-778UK_cmy4.GIF

180-778UK_qks6.GIF

You would never know ! :pac:

fHMZYHp.png

zpGPDnJ.png

Y12Kbqu.png

mfGNEeW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

You already know if your from cork, only a minor miracle gets snow to us...
    You would never know ! :pac:

fHMZYHp.png

zpGPDnJ.png

Y12Kbqu.png

mfGNEeW.png

Possible snowy period for some on higher ground 25th to the 27th with possible high winds.

vson6a.png

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Possible snowy period for some on higher ground 25th to the 27th with possible high winds.

vson6a.png

:D

DMUR02v.png

Stronger Arctic High pressure. Jet slightly further south. Colder side of the jet on our side more often. Too many complex lows forming off the tip of Greenland. It takes one to punch into Europe become a slider and bingo, the north cold flood gates could open up.

300ctg6.png

High Pressure split in the south. Rest of the run is interesting. Tonights 18zz might throw out a few cold scenarios.

2uzuj3t.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Joan Blackburn on RTE Radio 1 teatime forecast mentioned possibility of disturbed weather between Christmas and New Year. She didn't elaborate though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Joan Blackburn on RTE Radio 1 teatime forecast mentioned possibility of disturbed weather between Christmas and New Year. She didn't elaborate though...

Yes and they deliberately seem to not forecast beyond Christmas eve for the last number of days,as this is the start of a highly volatile period.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I hope she did not mean more disturbingly mild weather!

Polar Votex split.....lol :D

346qlww.png

Looking like a cool to cold end of December and New Year.

6e0md1.gif

fojh9d.gif

The worst 18z I have ever seen. Jumbled up in something. No rhyme or rhythm to it. Not even a mad crazy pub run end to it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi everyone, can I ask a question?

I've seen the words "pub run" on a few occasions and don't know what that means. Would someone kindly enlighten me. I've a feeling its a non-technical , banter type of phrase, (or is it?? :eek:)

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the really interesting contributors on here. Weather is so much more interesting when you see the technicalities involved in forecasting. It goes without saying (based on my question above) that quite a bit of it just flies over me head. But I still enjoy reading it all.

Cheers
    Nick

Hi everyone, can I ask a question?

I've seen the words "pub run" on a few occasions and don't know what that means. Would someone kindly enlighten me. I've a feeling its a non-technical , banter type of phrase, (or is it?? :eek:)

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the really interesting contributors on here. Weather is so much more interesting when you see the technicalities involved in forecasting. It goes without saying (based on my question above) that quite a bit of it just flies over me head. But I still enjoy reading it all.

Cheers
    Nick

It's the 18z run that comes out around the time people go to the pub and is often known to produce charts that look like the weather models have been on the beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Villain wrote: »
    It's the 18z run that comes out around the time people go to the pub and is often known to produce charts that look like the weather models have been on the beer!

Thanks Villain, appreciate that.

a bit more enlightened,
    Nick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement