Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS12z intensifies the reacurring low next thursday into a impressive storm.
    Would bring strong gales, heavy rain turning to wet snow on the back edge, blizzards on high ground.
    Look at those Isobars!!
    gfs-0-174_kaz3.png

gfs-14-174_sgy0.png

gfs-3-174_goi6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

:eek:Christ on a bike!!!

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would be such a pity to get such a promising southerly flow at this time of year, save it for May-September!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'd seriously consider taking a day off and heading up to Donegal if that was to come off! Love a good northerly storm, on the rare occasions we get them they always seem to have a lot more of a punch than our usual westerlies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd seriously consider taking a day off and heading up to Donegal if that was to come off

With your username, I should hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

GFS has a brief put potent northerly again next week, not quite as good as the 18z but the trend is the same, -8C uppers and NE'ly winds

gfsnh-0-168.png?0

gfs-1-168.png?0

The trigger low that crosses the Atlantic and disrupts over Ireland/UK in the frames before this isn't even there on the ECM, will be interesting to see if it appears this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

GFS still wants a northerly next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png
    As beautiful as it looks and I am guilty of using this from netweather I find it's very inaccurate even at 72hrs out but it's still grate to get some kind of idea that cold conditions for snow to fall are being seen.
    😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looking good alright on the GFS 12z for later Thursday and Friday of next week. A deepening area of low pressure in the North Sea bringing a cold air mass and what I would expect to be snow showers over many parts. What is encouraging is the UKMO 12z has similar synoptics (cold), but not quite the same dartboard low as the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

GFS has round 2 in deepest FI- and a 1060mb Arctic High. I hope it's onto something with these wild charts, a snowstorm would be nice.

GFSOPNH12_360_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Those who were saying "game over for a blocked December" might feel a little silly looking at the 12z GFS :p

gfsnh-0-162.png?12

gfsnh-1-162.png?12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That would be a big switch in Temps and wind direction if that storm came off around next Thurs /Fri . Picking up a deepening depression now on a few runs and as you would imagine the shape and track of it has been changing somewhat. The UK on the last couple of runs would get the strongest winds. Impossible to know at this stage if there will be snow but the chart below shows the possibility of type of precipitation based on the present runs .

GFS showing some lively weather in later runs well out in FI.
    TQbkzTg.gif?1

iDUL55F.gif

tempresult_kgd2.gif

tempresult_dhv5.gif

The 12Z ECM must be warming the cold lovers hearts :)

tempresult_etb6.gif

UKMO

UW144-21_yyn7.GIF

If the models just would all stay that way now it would be great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

He forgot to elaborate that it’s the exact same type of artic feed as the last week ..
    That was fun wasn’t it
    Here’s the ECM for next Thursday
    Warmer in fact than the week gone out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

If the charts being shown in FI were to happen as shown presently then the temperature would change quickly on Thurs from perhaps 10C or so early in the morning to low sinle digits by mid afternoon ( according to the GFS and yes this is all subject to change ). Also with the strong winds showing up the GFS is predicting at this stage a severe windchill. The upper Temps are set to drop further as the day goes on into Thurs according to the ECM. A long way off yet but the models showing some agreement in the introduction of N'lys again after the upcoming milder spell of weather.

The ECM and UKMO not showing it as windy on Thurs / Fri.

144-778UK_sle3.GIF

168-778UK_dxb0.GIF

144-290UK_wkq4.GIF

ECU0-168_hxq7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What I like about the ECM is the fall of pressure in southern Europe and the Azores/mid Atlantic high becoming less intense.
    At +240 what could possibly go wrong?

ECM1-240.GIF?01-0

lLdZH5N.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Interesting enough runs tonight, that storm is sourced south of the Azores yet could possibly bring snow, quite an unusual setup!

Of course it'll likely end up a watered down and fairly uninteresting feature but interesting to watch. Maybe chances of an active front or two as well though they've been scarcer than snow in recent times

Still no sign of low heights over Greenland either so a return to dull frontal westerlies is hopefully a while away yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

He forgot to elaborate that it’s the exact same type of artic feed as the last week ..
    That was fun wasn’t it
    Here’s the ECM for next Thursday
    Warmer in fact than the week gone out

That'll do me fine. Good healthy weather for animals and no real severe frost to burst water pipes, freeze troughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sryanbruen wrote: »

Hasn't been a great week for the winter charts
    In fact the way they've been lately's bunch of arse
    But I opened my laptop to check the 12z and I <Mod snip >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

nagdefy wrote: »
    That'll do me fine. Good healthy weather for animals and no real severe frost to burst water pipes, freeze troughs.

This! 5-8 degrees and crisp clear days are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Gfs 18z keeping with the northerly for the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

BOO YA Pounded with Snow Man.

24ywf0w.png

30ixkjc.png

:D

GFS Delivering the Goods Tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

7th 8th 9th 10th all looking great. Blocking in place -8 to -12 uppers on the latest run http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1625/gfs-1-168_keg5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Good consistency for the 8th across ECM, GFS, and UKMO, the ECM looking like having the coldest uppers here?

ECM0-144.GIF?02-12

gfs-1-138.png?6

UW144-7.GIF?02-05

graphe3_1000_36_60____hoy1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

graphe3_1000_36_60____hoy1.gif

Geez, that's fair agreement on the 850's!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement