Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

tigger123 wrote: »
    Have me popcorn...

And maltesers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Gimme a fcking break.
    You misunderstood the point of the post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Gimme a fcking break.

My thoughts too. It's like using an example of not being able to hit a golf ball as far with a putter as you could with a driver.

Not derailing this thread but anyone who compares De Niro to Leo from Fair City is clutching at some seriously bendy straws...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Yes but by working really, really hard on something then some other aspects of a young person's life - friendships, relationships, work, education, whatever - are going to be sacrificed in the name of pursuing something they're probably sh*t at, because McGregor has them believing that hard work is a substitute for talent when it's not.

So these 'knackers' are going to sacrifice friendships, relationships, work, education, etc in the pursuit of something they won't succeed at?

Kinda begs the question why you felt the need to label these impressionable people as 'knackers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mayweather DQ
    Necrominus wrote: »
    My thoughts too. It's like using an example of not being able to hit a golf ball as far with a putter as you could with a driver.

Not derailing this thread but anyone who compares De Niro to Leo from Fair City is clutching at some seriously bendy straws...

De Niro would beat Leo in a boxing match, but Leo would have the edge in an MMA bout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

I don't like McGregor. He's too influential, because you've got about a million knackers now believing that there's no such thing as talent, only hard work. Robert De Niro isn't more talented than Leo from Fair City - he just worked harder to get where he is. Harry Kane isn't more talented than Glenn Crowe - he just worked harder during his formative years. What a f*cking idiot this bloke is. I hope he gets knocked out within about a second.

Is that you Leo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

So these 'knackers' are going to sacrifice friendships, relationships, work, education, etc in the pursuit of something they won't succeed at?

Kinda begs the question why you felt the need to label these impressionable people as 'knackers'.

That was wrong of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Mayweather DQ
    Can't imagine staying up until 5am in the morning to watch this triumph of marketing and cynical capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mayweather, 3rd Rd, 16/1. That's assuming the fight is not rigged.

That was wrong of me.

If by 'knackers', you mean useless shytes that have no value to society, then the world would be a better place if they decided to dedicate themselves to something that required some effort.

If you just have a more general point that it gives people with no talent unrealistic expectations, I think they'd figure that out before they had destroyed every other facet of life. If only because other people had figured out that they had no future in their pursuit for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    I haven't heard a single other fight on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    I found this in case anyone else doesn't know:

Event information

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (12 Rounds Super-Welterweight) at the T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas. The undercard includes Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca (IBF Super-Featherweight Title), Nathan Cleverley v Badou Jack (WBA Light-Heavyweight Title), Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham (10 Rounds Cruiserweight),Thomas Dulorme vs Yordenis Ugas (10 Rounds Welterweight) with more to follow.

The event will start at midnight, Saturday, August 26, on Sky Sports Box Office (Channel 491) and Sky Sports Box Office HD (Channel 492), until 7am, Sunday, August 27.

The event is priced at £19.95 for UK customers, €24.95 for Republic of Ireland customers, up until Midnight, Friday, August 25.

Thereafter £19.95 / €24.95 (ROI) across all "self-service" bookings (remote control / online) and £26.95 / €29.95 (ROI) if booked via the phone (either IVR or agent) but note an additional £2 booking fee if via an agent still applies.

If you just have a more general point that it gives people with no talent unrealistic expectations, I think they'd figure that out before they had destroyed every other facet of life.

In other words, they'd figure out that McGregor was talking out of his hole and talent actually does exist. Problem is, they have to put in the effort in order to find out that their idol is a fool and while they were training to be the next McGregor they could've been doing something else which benefits them in the long term.

You also missed the point of the post.

Wife beater meets King of Skangers. Ooooooooooooo, it's so exciting. Who will have the most tattoos....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Begrudgary is alive and well in Ireland. Here's a clean living, self made millionaire who is an imbodiment of hard work and belief and yet you have the usual crap some certain people.

Clean living? That's debatable.

Begrudgery? You cant see how someone wouldn't dislike Conor McGregor other than begrudgery?

Django99 wrote: »

Begrudgery? You cant see how someone wouldn't dislike Conor McGregor other than begrudgery?

Ah but he wear waistcoats. And he has a beard. And he hates Latinos. And says funny things like "sit on me cock ya bitch". Up there with Yeats and Behan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Hammer89 wrote:
    You also missed the point of the post.

You're doing so much flip flopping I don't think you actually have a point tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mayweather DQ
    He's also black from the waist down, which means he's not racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Would love to see McGregor do it just to shut up the arrogant boxing pundits, most of whom couldn't dream of getting a fight this big in their day.

Begrudgary is alive and well in Ireland. Here's a clean living, self made millionaire who is an imbodiment of hard work and belief and yet you have the usual crap some certain people.

I don't see anyone begrudging the Collison brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Mayweather DQ
    Would love to see McGregor do it just to shut up the arrogant boxing pundits, most of whom couldn't dream of getting a fight this big in their day.

You obviously haven't seen the video of him up a tree in Liverpool :)

You're doing so much flip flopping I don't think you actually have a point tbh...

If you read the full first post, instead of the bit which the other chap emboldened, then you'd have probably understood it.

In other words, they'd figure out that McGregor was talking out of his hole and talent actually does exist. Problem is, they have to put in the effort in order to find out that their idol is a fool and while they were training to be the next McGregor they could've been doing something else which benefits them in the long term.

That's pretty unlikely to be a widespread problem tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If you read the full first post, instead of the bit which the other chap emboldened, then you'd have probably understood it.

Oi! I have boobs. Just cos I enjoy a bit o boxing don't make me no chap.

Oi! I have boobs. Just cos I enjoy a bit o boxing don't make me no chap.

That explains why you didn't understand the post so.

I swear that was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Mayweather K.O.
    Django99 wrote: »

1.Show me a positive drug test.

2. Honestly I can't. The man worked himself off Social Welfare and into the biggest combat sporting event the world has ever seen in less than five years. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Atari jaguar to fly in to ring and beat the snot out of both.
    This'll be akin to watching a motorcyclist take on a wall of death.

Strangely alluring though a total showbiz gimmick, leaving all who witness it ultimately underwhelmed, but more than a bit reluctant to say so.

Mayweather K.O.
    Hammer89 wrote:

Your initial point deals in hysterical reactions.

Everyday Joe Soaps usually are not that ridiculously stupid to believe that hard work at a certain discipline, skill etc without a modicum of talent or even a low level of ability will see them break onto the big stage for the Megabucks. And if they do, it's not Conor McGregor's fault if they fail miserably.

They go hand in hand. The ridiculously talented also work extremely hard to further themselves and reach the top echelons of their craft.

16 time World Darts Champion Phil Taylor practices for 12 hours a day. A guy at the top of the food chain in darts (obviously in years gone by) terms still working and striving to remain the best.

Everyday Joe Soaps usually are not that ridiculously stupid to believe that hard work at a certain discipline, skill etc without a modicum of talent or even a low level of ability will see them break onto the big stage for the Megabucks. And if they do, it's not Conor McGregor's fault if they fail miserably.

Well, they do believe it because their idol is saying it. Their Facebook and Instagram pages are plastered with THIS IMAGE, where McGregor tells them that they can "reach the top" if they simply work hard because "talent does not exist".

At what point do we say, 'Alright Conor. We're all for inspiring the next generation, but let's not perpetuate a complete lie here mate and make impressionable young fighters work their holes off in the gym, dedicate time of their teenage years in pursuit of a pipe dream because you told them that success is guaranteed if the dedication is there'.

It's wrong in my view and if Justin Bieber had made the exact same comments about how talent is a non-factor in regards to singing then you's would be singing a different tune. Guaranteed.

He's a f*cking charlatan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McGregor DQ
    McGregor by roundhouse is missing from the poll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement