Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What you said Pete, verbatim...

Eh, no.... this is verbatim:
    ....the VAST majority of boxing fans that said Conor had NO CHANCE said so on the basis that he had no boxing skills but McGregor wasn't outboxed, he was gassed out...... Floyd didn't hurt him and yet a large chunk of those same boxing fans said that he would knock him out.

I am clearly saying there that boxing fans said he would be outboxed on a skill level but in the context of the whole fight, he held his own in that regard until he gassed out. He was slipping and dodging lots of Floyd's shots up until those signs of fatigue were obvious and they came not from eating shots from Floyd (if they did, I would say that would qualify as him being outboxed early) ........ but his fatigue was a result of his own actions, in much the same way as it was in the first Diaz fight.

As for questioning the fact that I said he wasn't hurt.... it's true, he wasn't hurt. He wasn't rocked at all. Floyd's cardio won him the fight, end of story.

I'm not saying by the way that McGregor is on par with Floyd skill-wise, but just that before he gassed he dealt very well with Floyd's boxing and if people were a little more honest they would admit that he did also. Not sure why that seems to be so hard for some to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭noc1980

Boxing pundits claiming Floyd figured him out. Absolute nonsense. Cardio was his undoing, again. What a shame. Hope that clown Max Kellerman takes a long look at those clean shots he said McGregor couldn't land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So what's the excuse for his gassing going to be this time?

Infection? Knee? Arena the wrong temprature? His samsonesque hair being shaved off?

He didn't just gas, he was made to gas because he was swinging at air, loading up on everything, inefficient in the clinch, and getting tagged at will.

I can't believe people can't just admit he got completely schooled and the stoppage saved him from serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib is a 2 time NAGA world champion. Not bad for a white belt :P
    That's exactly the point.
    Jones grappling through school and college. Just him as an example of a white belt is as silly as using Khabib or Ronda.

Conor was competive as a purple belt in Ireland 5 years ago. it hasn't dropped back to competitive blue since then imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The seething hatred for Froch is ridiculous. I watched on Showtime so didn't hear his commentary but lads sitting at home in their armchairs getting upset by him, saying they'd love to see him step into a cage for five minutes are absolutely hilarious. Who should he step in with? You? Stipe? DJ? Why don't your step into a boxing ring for five with him if he had personally upset you so much? Froch is an absolute warrior tough as nails with a granite chin and he never ducked anybody. Let the man have his opinion.

You are the goat for negativity, bit rich coming from you. You didn't even watch the Sky feed so quieten down, Froch was ridiculous, experienced or not. He actually had that same arrogance that your posts have baked into them.

By the sounds of it Paulie was more unbiased for jaysus sake.

Gotta love your cherry picking of posts too, using a few misguided posters. Most newcomers and regulars in here are posting levelheaded critique of Froch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Carl Froch was a fcuking prick last night. Came across like one of those insecure boxing traditionalists who is so threatened by MMA's new following that he couldn't give McGregor his dues for doing what he did. All wont agree but there are many boxing fans who are disparaging of MMA because they see its appeal to a young audience, its consolidated one-title structure and its "blink and you could miss it" dynamism (McGregor vs Aldo).

Boxing's goose is cooked. It's difficult to recall a single, and still-active, household name. Even when you get two in the same weight class it can be nigh on impossible to organise the fight (May v Pacq). There are no clear undisputed champions and the competitive structures are a mess.

I can see why MMA was been rising over the last two decades. Simple structure, multidimensional fights and some Henri

^^^^fcking predictive text!!

"Some genuinely interesting personalities"

Not Henri

However he is

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Infection? Knee? Arena the wrong temprature? His samsonesque hair being shaved off?

He didn't just gas, he was made to gas because he was swinging at air, loading up on everything, inefficient in the clinch, and getting tagged at will.

I can't believe people can't just admit he got completely schooled and the stoppage saved him from serious damage.

He says he doesn't know, but it's pretty evident. He throws power shots which tire him out quickly, but that's his style, he won't change it.

In this case he didn't throw loads of power shots but he threw lots of punches and as you say, many hit nothing/arms/gloves. Then when he gets tired, his head movement gets worse, he doesn't use a gaurd to cover up and gets hit. This definitely wears him out.

^^^^"whoever he is" even

• Registered Users Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The fight just left me cold. Mayweather just waltzed his way to 300m.

It wasn't just a lack of stamina that was McGregor's undoing. Mayweather took everything Conor had in those opening few rounds and then figured out his style. It was as one sided as you can get. Good effort though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Yeah, he swung at air alright. All those punches that caused Mayweather's head to snap back was just a strong gust of wind :rolleyes:

Look, Mayweather outclassed him, no-one is denying that. No-one is denying the better man won and Conor was outclassed. But to suggest that Conor is going to make excuses, that he was terrible, that he did nothing in the fight is absolutely ridiculous. I get that you want to show boxing is superior to MMA. But just because you want to see boxing as better doesn't change Conor's performance. Conor did well, and even when Mayweather got going, round 4 and 8 were both close. So, even when he was at his best, Conor was living with him.

Conor gassed out, it happens. I think some of the shots from Mayweather, especially to the body, also took some energy from him. Mayweather would gas way before 24 minutes in the octagon as he would be brought into a clinch and leaned on, have teep kicks to his body take the wind from him, have to expand more mental energy.

People acting like Conor did nothing in this fight are one of two things. Either a Conor begrudger, which we see all the time in the MMA threads and slink away once Conor proves how good he is in the octagon and still gloat about the first Diaz fight (like anyone, most especially Conor, cares anymore), or they are boxing fans who can't believe a person who was 0-0 actually did well against one of the greatest ever.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Yeah, he swung at air alright. All those punches that caused Mayweather's head to snap back was just a strong gust of wind :rolleyes:

Look, Mayweather outclassed him, no-one is denying that. No-one is denying the better man won and Conor was outclassed. But to suggest that Conor is going to make excuses, that he was terrible, that he did nothing in the fight is absolutely ridiculous. I get that you want to show boxing is superior to MMA. But just because you want to see boxing as better doesn't change Conor's performance. Conor did well, and even when Mayweather got going, round 4 and 8 were both close. So, even when he was at his best, Conor was living with him.

Conor gassed out, it happens. I think some of the shots from Mayweather, especially to the body, also took some energy from him. Mayweather would gas way before 24 minutes in the octagon as he would be brought into a clinch and leaned on, have teep kicks to his body take the wind from him, have to expand more mental energy.

People acting like Conor did nothing in this fight are one of two things. Either a Conor begrudger, which we see all the time in the MMA threads and slink away once Conor proves how good he is in the octagon and still gloat about the first Diaz fight (like anyone, most especially Conor, cares anymore), or they are boxing fans who can't believe a person who was 0-0 actually did well against one of the greatest ever.

I'm an MMA fan...

I'm an MMA fan...
    Yeah, but I remember you from the MMA threads. You are definitely in the first group of people I mentioned. Someone who just can't stand to acknowledge Conor did well.

Yeah, but I remember you from the MMA threads. You are definitely in the first group of people I mentioned. Someone who just can't stand to acknowledge Conor did well.

But he didn't do well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Fascinating how this cardio issue will affect McGregor in future fights, if he fights someone who he can't finish will he be able to through the "dip" again.

Whenever I go on holidays to a hot country I'm bolixed after a short time in the heat. I wonder does the desert heat plus Irish genetics play into it. I really don't think we are built for that heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

But he didn't do well...

In comparison to who/what against Floyd?

But he didn't do well...
    I meant in general. I could go back through some of the threads and pick out posts where, even if Conor has done well in MMA, there was always some other reason he didn't do well.

But, onto your point. How did he not do well? He did do well, he lived with Mayweather for 8 rounds. Watch that 8th round back, it's extremely close and could have been given either way. Look at how he snapped Mayweather's head back a few times. To say he didn't do well is intellectually dishonest at best and idiotic at worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Carl Froch was a fcuking prick last night. Came across like one of those insecure boxing traditionalists who is so threatened by MMA's new following that he couldn't give McGregor his dues for doing what he did. All wont agree but there are many boxing fans who are disparaging of MMA because they see its appeal to a young audience, its consolidated one-title structure and its "blink and you could miss it" dynamism (McGregor vs Aldo).

Boxing's goose is cooked. It's difficult to recall a single, and still-active, household name. Even when you get two in the same weight class it can be nigh on impossible to organise the fight (May v Pacq). There are no clear undisputed champions and the competitive structures are a mess.

I can see why MMA was been rising over the last two decades. Simple structure, multidimensional fights and some Henri

MMA fans are being disparaged because they vomited out a lot of uneducated drivel in the last 3 months

Oh, don't worry , the old time UFC people are all ready whinging about how titles fights are set up in the UFC. Just as well Conor proved himself, because many of the hardcore people were not happy one bit that he was fast tracked to a title fight so early.

You had Aldo, disgracing himself in 13 seconds, not to mention his pathetic attempt to sell the fight, being offered a chance to win the interim belt despite Conor being the champion of that division. All he had to do was beat another journey man one time champion Edgar , whom he had already beaten. Until recently the doping was an issue that they wanted to hide.Imagine,Aldo had the power to kick testers out of Brazil when they came looking for him

He didn't get schooled though and look, I tipped up the 11/4 by TKO on the boxing forum so this is not about something happening which I didn't think would. In fact, McGregor did better than I thought he would tbh.

You act though like Floyd just gave him those early three rounds and new McGregor would gas and that's a nonsense, but sadly that is the way it will be remembered though. Floyd attempted many counter shots (and some offensive work also) early on, but Conor handled it all very very well. Floyd was frustrated by Conor's stance switching too, which the commentary remarked on many times.

Surprised McGregor didn't get a point taken for the hammer blows though but then Floyd was turning his back a lot after some shots that weren't behind the head and he had a few elbows in there......... so perhaps all that balanced out.

Anyway, a real shame McGregor gasses the way he does, really felt he wouldn't be as bad in that regard as he turned out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

noc1980 wrote: »
    Boxing pundits claiming Floyd figured him out. Absolute nonsense. Cardio was his undoing, again. What a shame. Hope that clown Max Kellerman takes a long look at those clean shots he said McGregor couldn't land.

I thought he was professional athlete.

Not being fit is possibly to worst excuse of all time any professional athlete can have.

Mayweather was playing with him like a cat playing with a mouse.

• Advertisement

I thought he was professional athlete.

Not being fit is possibly to worst excuse of all time any professional athlete can have.

Mayweather was playing with him like a cat playing with a mouse.
    By Mayweather's admission, he thought it would be over by the 6th....so clearly not playing with him as people think he was.

Lt Dan wrote: »

MMA fans are being disparaged because they vomited out a lot of uneducated drivel in the last 3 months

Oh, don't worry , the old time UFC people are all ready whinging about how titles fights are set up in the UFC. Just as well Conor proved himself, because many of the hardcore people were not happy one bit that he was fast tracked to a title fight so early.

You had Aldo, disgracing himself in 13 seconds, not to mention his pathetic attempt to sell the fight, being offered a chance to win the interim belt despite Conor being the champion of that division. All he had to do was beat another journey man one time champion Edgar , whom he had already beaten. Until recently the doping was an issue that they wanted to hide.Imagine,Aldo had the power to kick testers out of Brazil when they came looking for him

Yep no doping in boxing. That sport is clean unlike all the other dishonourable cyclists, American footballers, rugby players, soccer players.......yes pro boxing truly is virtuous.

Never mind your

......interim example. At least MMA doesn't have 4 champs in the same weight class

By the sounds of it Paulie was more unbiased for jaysus sake.

Paulie was laughable.

At one point the other commentator, not sure who it was, got annoyed with him and tutted at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I thought Conor went off plan.

Several times in the corner John K was telling him to only throw when thrown at.

Conors footwork was really good and until he got really tired he was not hit that well considering.

It's a big business win for Conor anyway, set for life!

......interim example. At least MMA doesn't have 4 champs in the same weight class

UFC, WSOF, ONE FC, Bellator, Cage Warriors... that's 5 world champions for every weight class from 135 to heave weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

By Mayweather's admission, he thought it would be over by the 6th....so clearly not playing with him as people think he was.

Do you honestly believe anything either of the 2 of them say.

Mayweather has to talk up this fight because if he doesn't and ends it early and makes a complete show of McGregor it makes his achievement of winning worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have to say I fancied Conor to win this. Floyd at 40 and the fact he hadn't fought for 2 years made me think Conor would win within 3. How wrong was I. I though Mayweather schooled Conor. It was a little bit embarrassing but I'm sure when Conor checks his bank balance tomorrow the fact he was a little humiliated will be forgotten.

UFC, WSOF, ONE FC, Bellator, Cage Warriors... that's 5 world champions for every weight class from 135 to heave weight.
    Yep, but you can't hold a Bellator and UFC title at the same time. You can hold a WBO and IBF title at the same time.

Do you honestly believe anything either of the 2 of them say.

Mayweather has to talk up this fight because if he doesn't and ends it early and makes a complete show of McGregor it makes his achievement of winning worse.
    I wouldn't have believed it before the fight, no. However, why would Mayweather lie about it? His team and everyone who has ever fought him didn't think Conor would do well at all. No-one thought Conor would win a round, some didn't even think he'd land a clean punch (he landed a fair few).

Mayweather was definitely impressed by Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A pretty predictable disappointment. Proof that Conor's mouth is his greatest weapon.

Waste of a Sunday morning, ah well

Advertisement