Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Dinarius wrote: »
    Wrong.

There is a 10 minute grace period, after the ticket time, This was confirmed to me yesterday by the person who took my credit card details.

Hence the clamp on the 11th minute.

To be honest, the only reason I started this thread (which appears to have grown legs!) is because someone said to me yesterday that, if they were hanging around the car waiting for the 11th minute, that might constitute entrapment.

But, that doesn't appear to be the case.

D.

LOL!!! Entrapment! If they blocked you from moving off until 10 minutes passed maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you pay incrementally, as I always do, can anyone prove that you're car isn't in a different space in the 4th hour?

D.

The 3 hour rule is difficult to enforce and is only done when a complaint is made, at which time, it's easy enough to prove, if the complaint is valid and the problem persists.

jebus28 wrote: »
    Haven't heard a single person say that.

OK what's your alternative to clamping? In Dublin city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

Public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jebus28 wrote: »
    So they get punished when there's not enough people to clamp. Lol. Explains the cynical clamping.

The worst part with Apcoa. There was no office to call to for an appeal, nobody to speak to, as in the person who clamped me. They had no problem taking my money. At one stage, I told them to keep the car, then I did a Dougal and went "ah right, actually I need the car...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Wrong.

To be honest, the only reason I started this thread (which appears to have grown legs!) is because someone said to me yesterday that, if they were hanging around the car waiting for the 11th minute, that might constitute entrapment.

But, that doesn't appear to be the case.

D.

To be fair, they could be standing beside you when you got out of the car, waited the whole time you were away, until you were 11 minutes out of parking time, and clamped you, and it still wouldn't be entrapment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

yes , seriously. while it is terrible that someone is terrible ill it does not give them the right to block or restrict access for someone else who may be in the same position

So why the **** they put a clamp on to restrict access even longer if the POINT IS PREVENTING THE BLOCKING OF A SPACE. So literally the clamp could be sitting in there for days, blocking access to everyone else. So please explain to me how clamping prevents blocking of spaces?

Synthol wrote: »
    So why the **** they put a clamp on to restrict access even longer if the POINT IS PREVENTING THE BLOCKING OF A SPACE. So literally the clamp could be sitting in there for days, blocking access to everyone else. So please explain to me how clamping prevents blocking of spaces?

It deters others from doing the same.

seachto7 wrote: »
    The worst part with Apcoa. There was no office to call to for an appeal, nobody to speak to, as in the person who clamped me. They had no problem taking my money. At one stage, I told them to keep the car, then I did a Dougal and went "ah right, actually I need the car...."

It would be cheaper to just go into any hardware store and buy a battery angle grinder than paying the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Because if there is no deterrent, then everyone will try to park at the door and nobody will get near the place.

• Advertisement

Yeah of course it does because the space is blocked with a car that can't move.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Because if there is no deterrent, then everyone will try to park at the door and nobody will get near the place.

Then get a motorbike and park where you want. Cars are completely unnecessary. Huge boxes on 4 wheels which usually just carry 1 person. I always park 4 steps from where I want to go on my motorbike and nobody complains. I have no problem with cars either as I can pass them easily so no one is blocking anything for me. Must be hard living life as a cager.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know that on my street clamped cars are towed after 24 hours. And the sight of a clamped car is a deterrent to others from doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Then get a motorbike and park where you want. Cars are completely unnecessary. Huge boxes on 4 wheels which usually just carry 1 person. I always park 4 steps from where I want to go on my motorbike and nobody complains. I have no problem with cars either as I can pass them easily so no one is blocking anything for me. Must be hard living life as a cager.

I have seen motorbikes clamped and taken away as well :rolleyes: just sayin'...

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I have seen motorbikes clamped and taken away as well :rolleyes: just sayin'...

When they block the path so that no one can pass. Motorbikes will never be clamped or towed if they are parked away where they are not blocking anything, just go to the city centre and see all the motorbikes parked on the side of the road without blocking the path. You do not have to pay an extortion fee for parking a motorbike. And pretty sure you have only seen motorbikes get stolen not taken away by a clamping agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Listen, even if Grace was having a bad day, she still has to adhere to the parking laws like everyone else.

I just thought I would drop this here to display how some just seem to be above those parking laws.

http://connachttribune.ie/anger-traveller-caravans-pitch-roadside-salthill-066/

OP next time hitch an auld caravan to the back and you can stay as long as ye want ;)

Now folks please wait until I get me popcorn. :D

kylith wrote: »
    I know that on my street clamped cars are towed after 24 hours. And the sight of a clamped car is a deterrent to others from doing the same.

Cutting the clamp and putting it on a sign saying that you need to pay in a residential area is a deterrent to clampers. I bet they would run away screaming when they see their pathetic clamp hanging from a sign in a housing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there doesn't need to be one. clamping is a pointless waste of time that only causes disruption and which is only done to bring in income.

the reality is it doesn't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

there doesn't need to be one. clamping is a pointless waste of time that only causes disruption and which is only done to bring in income.

I'll beg to disagree.

See my post above re Dublin city pre-clamping and the difficulties everyone had finding parking spaces.

Nowadays you can drive into town and usually find a parking space somewhere within reach of your destination.

Residential roads are no longer used as park and ride/walk sites every weekday.

That IMO is mostly down to the introduction of clamping all those years ago - people just don't abandon for the day any more like they used to when you could accumulate roomfuls of tickets before there was a chance of any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The reality is it really, really does.

• Advertisement

Having worked where there were issues with parking, and having tried everything from nothing to fines to clamping, I can assure you it does. I only have anecdotal evidence though, and cannot find any to either support or dispute my claims.

EDIT: By deter, I don't mean eradicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

I agree, clamping deters others from doing the same. In work, we have a company checking on carpark users and clamping those who are illegally parked. Since they started using this system employers can find parking spaces more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

because eventually people might cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

jmayo wrote: »
    I just thought I would drop this here to display how some just seem to be above those parking laws.

http://connachttribune.ie/anger-traveller-caravans-pitch-roadside-salthill-066/

OP next time hitch an auld caravan to the back and you can stay as long as ye want ;)

Now folks please wait until I get me popcorn. :D

things are a bit slow tonight jmayo ,7 or 8 posts later and it hasn't kicked off yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Got to the car 14:39.

It took about 15 seconds to remove the clamp. Can't have taken that much longer to fix it.

Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

D.

It's enforcement not entrapment. Entrapment would be telling you it was ok to park without paying or telling you that there was a 1 hour grace period and then clamping you when you walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,999 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Got to the car 14:39.

It took about 15 seconds to remove the clamp. Can't have taken that much longer to fix it.

Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

D.
    Entrapment? Nope you went over the grace period

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

doolox wrote: »
    If more people avoided the city centre and did all their business where parking is free then the businesses in the centre would close down and thousands of people would be made redundant and thousand of businesses would close down and less rates would be paid and a lot of councillors would lose their seats in the next local elections and there would be hell to pay.
    Indeed. Because pedestrians don't exist.
    But people are not gutsy enough to do this and the city is too attractive for most people
    Nothing to do with gutsy, just not stupid.
    so this dream scenario will not happen.
    :confused:
    I would love to see all DCC councillors lose their seats in the next election and all traffic wardens and clampers get some painful malady that does not quite kill them but makes their miserable lives a misery.
    :pac:

Advertisement