Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I call shenanigans. There's no grace period in Dublin city centre.

The clampers are notorious as well. They'll clamp you 1 minute over your ticket time.

do all claming agencies not have a grace period of at least 10 minutes ?

Despite all the puritanical lack of sympathy here , people make mistakes & get delayed in life , so 10 or 15 minute grace is only right - Clamping in some situations is right - in disabled bays , long term overstay or causing traffic obstution - but the service was brought in to control traffic not as a money making profit driven cow - some here seam glad you got clamped - don't get that - you were obviously parked in legit place..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Martin567 wrote: »
    Utterly bizarre logic.

You have to get to the root of what the problem is. Why is the parking illegal? What are you trying to deter?

There is no greater deterrent to illegal parking than those shiny yellow clamps.

The country is full of complete chancers happy to abandon their car because they'll "only be a minute", but there is nothing like seeing a few clamped cars to make them think twice about it, to make them think, "the clampers are about, it isn't worth it", to go somewhere else.

Not to mention one simple fact, for many people its not the release fee that really hurts, its having to sit and wait. €80/120 is small beans to a lot of people but getting locked in place for a few hours really pisses them off.

The logic of clamping isn't bizarre at all, in actual fact its really quite straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In situations like this, it is essential to Fight The Power in lieu of taking any semblance of personal responsibility.

Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is quite simple, a responsible city would not clamp you for being late back, but would fine you. By all means clamp people with unpaid parking tickets, but clamping for overstays is not proper treatment of the citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I particularly admire people who abandon their cars in clearways or bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've always managed to escape this egregious violation of my human rights by not parking like a cnut, keeping an eye on the time or overpaying in advance in case I'm delayed.

If only all tyranny could be so easily dispelled with personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

There is no greater deterrent to illegal parking than those shiny yellow clamps.

The country is full of complete chancers happy to abandon their car because they'll "only be a minute", but there is nothing like seeing a few clamped cars to make them think twice about it, to make them think, "the clampers are about, it isn't worth it", to go somewhere else.

Not to mention one simple fact, for many people its not the release fee that really hurts, its having to sit and wait. €80/120 is small beans to a lot of people but getting locked in place for a few hours really pisses them off.

The logic of clamping isn't bizarre at all, in actual fact its really quite straightforward.

I see cars clamped regularly. Do you think it is the same few people making the same mistake every day and being clamped on a daily basis? Surely not?

Assuming they are different people every day, then seeing other vehicles clamped obviously isn't much of a deterrent. Therefore the system doesn't appear to be working.

The logic of clamping is bizarre. The question is why is parking illegal in particular spots? There must be a good reason, parking there must cause a problem of some sort. If not, it wouldn't be illegal!

Assuming then that this parking causes a problem, the logic of clamping is to fix that problem in place, apparently as a deterrent. So every day cars are clamped in places causing the problem to take longer be resolved.

I wonder how do the clampers see it? "If I do my job really well this year, hopefully by next year my services will no longer be required!"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jebus28 wrote: »
    However, when I worked at Ardkeen Hospital there were clampers operating and staff hated them. Everyday we had people, generally elderly folk, that took longer than anticipated or lost track of time coming in very upset asking us to remove the clamps. The hospital could do nothing.
    Of course the hospital could do something. Some hospitals implement schemes where designated visitors to patients are given free parking. But lets face it, there are some people who will abuse hospital car parks while they are commuting or shopping.
    Are Am Eye wrote: »
    What you could do wakka is get two clamps.
    Park tight to the curb. Clamp your two outside wheels. Now they have no wheel to clamp. Its perfectly legal for you to clamp your own property.

HA! Now get out of that one.
    This is why some tow-trucks have cranes.
    thebaz wrote: »
    do all claming agencies not have a grace period of at least 10 minutes ?
    No. Park improperly in a wheelchair-accessible space and you will get no grace period.
    but the service was brought in to control traffic not as a money making profit driven cow
    The money the city council gets form clamping fees doesn't cover the cost of the clamping service - the council makes its money from collecting parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Victor wrote: »

This is why some tow-trucks have cranes.

That have wheel lift cradles that are going to be in trouble with one side of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

Of course the hospital could do something. Some hospitals implement schemes where designated visitors to patients are given free parking.

You can't justify clamping patients or patients families because "some people" use the car parks for shopping. Clampers behave like vultures in hospital car parks, they are cynical and simply out to screw people over. It's completely indefensible. And up until recently it was completely unregulated with widely varying fines. Again it's one thing to clamp a disgracefully parked vehicle, but to cynically wait knowing people are in the hospital is a disgrace. Hospitals wanted to cut down on poor parking, clampers took advantage of that.

• Advertisement

You can't justify clamping patients or patients families because "some people" use the car parks for shopping. Clampers behave like vultures in hospital car parks, they are cynical and simply out to screw people over. It's completely indefensible. And up until recently it was completely unregulated with widely varying fines. Again it's one thing to clamp a disgracefully parked vehicle, but to cynically wait knowing people are in the hospital is a disgrace. Hospitals wanted to cut down on poor parking, clampers took advantage of that.
    In the hospice in Cork, people were using the car park as a park and ride, as there is a bus terminus on site. Similarly, people from the nearby office park were using it.

If clampers are behaving "like vultures" then it is for the hospital to issue instruction to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Would show them some MMA moves if they tried to clamp my cage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Synthol wrote: »
    Would show them some MMA moves if they tried to clamp my cage

What cage would they be clamping?

Are you condoning violence against someone just doing their job?

Would you show a guard some "mma moves' if s/he gave you a ticket for speeding?

What cage would they be clamping?

Are you condoning violence against someone just doing their job?

Would you show a guard some "mma moves' if s/he gave you a ticket for speeding?

Box on 4 wheels
    No, just for being illogical. ''You are blocking the road so we will clamp your car so you can block the road more.'' this here shows that it literally is all for money because if it wasn't the car would be towed.
    Nazis were also just doing their job.

Nazis were also just doing their job.
    How many people have clamping operatives killed?

How many people have clamping operatives killed?

You know exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You know exactly what I mean.
    Yes. You mean that violence against clamping operators is justified because violence against Nazis was justified.

At any rate, that's what you said. I'm doing you the courtesy of assuming that you meant what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Dinarius wrote: »
    Parked in central Dublin today. Paid for 4 hours parking in total (by phone)

Parking expired at 14:25. Grace period is 10 minutes. (They told me this on the phone)

Ticket was time stamped 14:36.

You have to think they stood there and waited until the grace period expired.

Annoying.

D.

Max stay is 3 hours so they gave you an extra hour and 10 mins to get back.

http://www.dublincity.ie/pay-and-display-step-step

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

if the clampers drive into a hospital car park and see a car illegally parked , how the hell is he supposed to know who owns the car or what state of health they are in .while it is terrible that a seriously ill patient is clamped , drivers really have to stop assuming that they are the only ones using the place and that somebody else might be in the same position and need to pick up/drop off somebody. the very fact that it is a hospital car park makes it even more important to stop illegal parking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see cars clamped regularly. Do you think it is the same few people making the same mistake every day and being clamped on a daily basis? Surely not?

Assuming they are different people every day, then seeing other vehicles clamped obviously isn't much of a deterrent. Therefore the system doesn't appear to be working.

The logic of clamping is bizarre. The question is why is parking illegal in particular spots? There must be a good reason, parking there must cause a problem of some sort. If not, it wouldn't be illegal!

Assuming then that this parking causes a problem, the logic of clamping is to fix that problem in place, apparently as a deterrent. So every day cars are clamped in places causing the problem to take longer be resolved.

I wonder how do the clampers see it? "If I do my job really well this year, hopefully by next year my services will no longer be required!"

You seem to have latched onto the vague idea that clamped cars are blocking parking spots and are trying to decipher from that why clamping would be used. Buts its still obvious to most how and why clamping is a deterrent, the only bizarre logic is in your first two sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There is no entitlement to a grace period.Care to explain that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

No they don't. Dublin City pays a fixed fee for the year and expect X amount of enforcement.

Having voted on the grace period policy document, I can tell you there are grace periods in cases where your parking fee has expired. Obnoxious / nuisance parking won't get a grace period and dangerous parking will get you towed.

What? You mean they actually implement the law? What next, barmen not serving more than a pint in a pint glass?

I hate to break it to you Vehicle Clamping Act 2015

The number of vehicles clamped at any one time is modest relative tot eh number of spaces.

On a justice basis it is better than a ticket, as it imposes the punishment at the time of the offence, not weeks later.

Ask college security for the approved method of removing the sticker.

Report them.

Such possibilities are considered and you can use Park-by-Text to add time. Indeed, this is the method the OP had used.

Surely this park by text thing should debit your account based on the actual time you spend parked rather than making you guess in advance and have to re up when you might be busy doing something else? Sounds like a half arsed solution designed to maximise profit rather than incentivise fair use and convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

You seem to have latched onto the vague idea that clamped cars are blocking parking spots and are trying to decipher from that why clamping would be used. Buts its still obvious to most how and why clamping is a deterrent, the only bizarre logic is in your first two sentences.

No, I haven't. If you must reply to my posts, please read them and address the points I've made.

Towing cars away would be a deterrent and would also make perfect sense, unlike clamping.

Talk of 'illegal parking' and 'deterrents' are the vaguest of vague notions since they don't address why the parking is illegal, what problem it is causing and why it should be deterred. Assuming an instance of bad parking is causing some problem, properly enforced ticketing or towing are far more sensible solutions.

Not excited at all for anyone's misfortune but completely unwilling to get on board with the idea that a person doing their job is a scumbag just because they happen to be fining someone for breaking the law.

I absolutely agree with clamping as a method. There is nothing lacking in the logic of it either. It's a powerful deterrent to illegal parking. The whole "but you're leaving it in the place you don't want it to be by clamping it" argument is such a naive oversimplification of the process. The further loss of the space for an hour or whatever is an acceptable loss, just like the cost of paying staff to do the clamping in the first place. It's not a quick on the spot fix for the problem, it's a deterrent.

I'm pretty sure that overstaying in a demarcated parking space is neither illegal nor a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

To the people who are saying to get rid of clamps and get a ticketing system. The reason why they clamp is because you have to pay the fine before they remove the clamp. That way, they definitely get their money. If its a ticketing system, im sure they would lose out on a lot of fine pay outs with people simply not bothering to pay.

I got clamped because, although I had a valid ticket, it had blown upside down when I closed my door. Tried to get this waivered as I still had an hour on my ticket after I was clamped but it clearly says on the ticket that you must ensure the ticket was visible. It was annoying and frustrating but it was clearly my fault. I acted like an adult, sucked it up and paid the fine.

Sorry but no sympathy from me at all here. Clampers are doing their job and the OP stayed past the grace period so have no legs to stand on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Surely this park by text thing should debit your account based on the actual time you spend parked rather than making you guess in advance and have to re up when you might be busy doing something else? Sounds like a half arsed solution designed to maximise profit rather than incentivise fair use and convenience.

If you use Park by Text, you get a text message about 10 minutes before your parking expires to remind you to either get back to your car or pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm pretty sure that overstaying in a demarcated parking space is neither illegal nor a crime.

Not paying for parking in a paid parking zone is illegal parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No, I haven't. If you must reply to my posts, please read them and address the points I've made.

Towing cars away would be a deterrent and would also make perfect sense, unlike clamping.

Talk of 'illegal parking' and 'deterrents' are the vaguest of vague notions since they don't address why the parking is illegal, what problem it is causing and why it should be deterred. Assuming an instance of bad parking is causing some problem, properly enforced ticketing or towing are far more sensible solutions.

As regards towing you're ignoring the additional time and effort on the part of the parking enforcement company, they'd have to have additional trucks on the road towing these cars, they'd need storage space as well.

How many cars can be towed to a storage location in an hour vs how many can be clamped?

Either way the cars still take up the same space (albeit in different locations), but towing takes longer and costs more. These costs could be passed on the offender but I would think that overall enforcement would drop.

Not paying for parking in a paid parking zone is illegal parking.

Have you documentation on that and on what aspect of it constitutes a crime in Irish law?

So this parking app, it apparently allows you to pay for four hours parking in an area where there is the limit? Sounds like nonsense by design. Does it refund you if you're back early? How do the clampers know when you have topped up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The 15 minutes isn't the issue, the illegal parking is. I'd support clamping at 1 minute over, with no grace period. It's the same crime.

Crime, so that would make the OP a criminal? For overstaying in a parking spot. :rolleyes:

To the OP, yeah it was unlucky to get caught out and of course, strictly speaking they were right. But you were treated harshly imo, so you have reasonable grounds for appeal. Appeal to the council first - you will likely get nowhere with them, but afterwards you can appeal to the independent appeals officer who has a bit more sense. If you go to him/her you have a reasonable chance of success. At least you might get the €80 back.

My own case, I used to live down the end of a cul-de-sac and occasionally used to leave my car in front of my own gate with the wheels partially on the path so as not to block the neighbour. Landlord assured me the end of the road was private property. Anyway on the one occasion I left the car there (usually didn't since it was tight) I came home from work to see it clamped. Yeah, strictly speaking I was in the wrong. I felt it a bit harsh and resolved to appeal it. In the end got the clamping fee back from the independent appeals office as they thought it harsh too, but warned not to park there again.

Try your luck, the appeal costs nothing. Landlord did come back afterwards and say "oh yeah, they come down here every 6 months and clamp all the cars on the road".

Advertisement