Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Have you documentation on that and on what aspect of it constitutes a crime in Irish law?

So this parking app, it apparently allows you to pay for four hours parking in an area where there is the limit? Sounds like nonsense by design. Does it refund you if you're back early? How do the clampers know when you have topped up?

You can even pay for parking using the app when parking is free.

The app is useful, but not well designed.

If your gonna park your car illegally at least do it near where motor mechanics are being trained. They'll show you how to remove these yellow obnoxious objects without them being damaged.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I work and park a lot around Dublin city. Fed up forgetting to run down to the meter and getting clamped I went to Park by Text (same as the O.P.) years ago and have never been clamped again since.
    You get your 10 minute warning text, before time runs out, so no excuse. Even if you are running tight on time going back to the car you can just top it up for 15 more mins, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

if the clampers drive into a hospital car park and see a car illegally parked , how the hell is he supposed to know who owns the car or what state of health they are in

Seriously? They would know when the people return to the car obviously. And 100 percent of the time will refuse to remove the clamp without payment. Nurses used to try explain to them reasons for patients running over and they wouldn't budge.
    Again they need a specific type of person to do this work, and they generally lack morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

jebus28 wrote: »
    Seriously? They would know when the people return to the car obviously. And 100 percent of the time will refuse to remove the clamp without payment. Nurses used to try explain to them reasons for patients running over and they wouldn't budge.
    Again they need a specific type of person to do this work, and they generally lack morals.

I'd disagree. If this is a problem then hospital management need to make changes. The clampers are following a policy. If you want the policy changed, argue with management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I work and park a lot around Dublin city. Fed up forgetting to run down to the meter and getting clamped I went to Park by Text (same as the O.P.) years ago and have never been clamped again since.
    You get your 10 minute warning text, before time runs out, so no excuse. Even if you are running tight on time going back to the car you can just top it up for 15 more mins, just in case.

Never knew that as I've never used park by text. It's a great idea

swampgas wrote: »
    I'd disagree. If this is a problem then hospital management need to make changes. The clampers are following a policy. If you want the policy changed, argue with management.

Sure it's management, the idea was stop people parking in inappropriate areas. Money hungry clampers took advantage and were cynical in their approach. More interested in catching people out for money than improving parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

jebus28 wrote:
    Seriously? They would know when the people return to the car obviously. And 100 percent of the time will refuse to remove the clamp without payment. Nurses used to try explain to them reasons for patients running over and they wouldn't budge. Again they need a specific type of person to do this work, and they generally lack morals.

It's nothing to do with morality. They aren't paid to make ethical decisions. They are paid to clamp cars that have overstayed. It doesn't matter what the situation of the owner is. Clampers are not scumbags, or parasites or any of the other names you have called them. They are simply decent people working for a living who are following their employer's policy.

If you could get that into your head and stop insulting people working for a living you could save yourself a lot of angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

Sure it's management, the idea was stop people parking in inappropriate areas. Money hungry clampers took advantage and were cynical in their approach. More interested in catching people out for money than improving parking.

So why are management ignoring this? The buck stops with them.

swampgas wrote: »

At St Lukes Radiation dept of Beamont hospital the parking is quite limited and cars often have to park on the yellow lines. Aware of the limitations the receptionist provides a tag to those patients, or their carer, to put on the dash and the clampers leave them alone.
    Something like this could be introduced in other hospitals.
    Or better again, the hospitals could just put in barriers, people collect their ticket as they enter the car park and pay the parking fee as they leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Probably shoulda just gotten back to your car before the parking expired...

Also, fair play to them for giving a grace period.

Fair play to them? lol the parasites where probably to 'busy' to get there any sooner.

If you could get that into your head and stop insulting people working for a living you could save yourself a lot of angst.

So anyone that works for a living should be granted immunity from criticism?

There is no line of work that should come under scrutiny ever?

Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Was staying with a mate last year and had a pass for the car in the underground car park. One night I left it on the passenger seat by mistake, facing up, instead of on the windscreen.

I got clamped and got a hefty fine for my troubles (€250).

They stated it was not clearly visible, whereas, if you looked in the window, it was visible. If I was being an arse about it, it was clearly visible, they just had to squint their eyes a bit more to see it.

You could see the apartment information, so I argued the point that it was clearly visible, on the seat, not on the dashboard.

I rang up and got no joy off them. It was the Apcoa crowd. I don’t know how anyone does that job.

Syphonax wrote: »
    Fair play to them? lol the parasites where probably to 'busy' to get there any sooner.

The O.P. says they were using Park by Text to pay for their parking, they would have received a warning text 10 minutes before the time expired. If they knew that they were not going to get back to the car within the time frame all they had to was take their phone out of their pocket and top up their parking payment by another 15 minutes, easy to do.
    Seriously folks, if you have a phone that can send and receive texts you have no excuses for getting clamped by street clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

jebus28 wrote:
    So anyone that works for a living should be granted immunity from criticism?

Criticism isn't the issue, it's the completely unwarranted name calling: "parasite", " immoral", "scumbags" etc are all words you've used to describe clampers in this thread. Your attitude is pretty pathetic to be honest.

seachto7 wrote: »

I rang up and got no joy off them. It was the Apcoa crowd. I don’t know how anyone does that job.

When enough people are deterred from making parking offences, like is supposedly the aim, this is the kind of thing they turn to to make money.

Criticism isn't the issue, it's the completely unwarranted name calling: "parasite", " immoral", "scumbags" etc are all words you've used to describe clampers in this thread. Your attitude is pretty pathetic to be honest.

Never said parasite and immoral isn't name calling. Said scumbag once, though.

But you said every clamper is a decent person, which is a very silly thing to say. Why do you think every single clamper is a decent individual?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The O.P. says they were using Park by Text to pay for their parking, they would have received a warning text 10 minutes before the time expired. If they knew that they were not going to get back to the car within the time frame all they had to was take their phone out of their pocket and top up their parking payment by another 15 minutes, easy to do.
    Seriously folks, if you have a phone that can send and receive texts you have no excuses for getting clamped by street clampers.

What if your battery dies ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You really do sound like an 80 year old man that will swallow up any kind of system because "it's always been like that." Are you sure you're not my grandfather?

Fine. If resorting to personal insults is all you have, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

You still know what time you're supposed to get back to your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But you said every clamper is a decent person, which is a very silly thing to say. Why do you think every single clamper is a decent individual?

She didn't say every clamper is a decent indiviadual or every single clamper is decent, that's stretching the statement. She said broadly that they are decent because they actually work for a living, unlike the hordes that do nothing but are perpetually the victim of the government/bankers/gardai and now, it seems, the evil clampers. It's always someone else's fault. You get 10 minutes grace, work around that. People need to take personal responsibility for themselves.

Then make sure you have battery and if you don't, then make sure you're near enough to your car to take advantage of the 10 minute grace period. Stop looking for excuse and look after yourself. I assume you're an adult? You don't need your hand held do you?

Allinall wrote: »
    You still know what time you're supposed to get back to your car.

But you got held up through no fault of your own? "Well you shouldn't have gotten held up through no fault of your own then." - Pro clampers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

jebus28, refrain from the strawman arguments.

But you got held up through no fault of your own? "Well you shouldn't have gotten held up through no fault of your own then." - Pro clampers.

Always someone else's fault.
    -Jebus28

Do you think the local cinema are gonna hold off on showing the film because you're late through no fault of your own? Or that the airplane will hang on for ya because your alarm didn't go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely this park by text thing should debit your account based on the actual time you spend parked rather than making you guess in advance and have to re up when you might be busy doing something else? Sounds like a half arsed solution designed to maximise profit rather than incentivise fair use and convenience.
    How would Park-by-Text know when you leave?

Omackeral wrote: »
    She didn't say every clamper is a decent indiviadual or every single clamper is decent, that's stretching the statement. She said broadly that they are decent because they actually work for a living, unlike the hordes that do nothing but are perpetually the victim of the government/bankers/gardai and now, it seems, the evil clampers. It's always someone else's fault. You get 10 minutes grace, work around that. People need to take personal responsibility for themselves.

Decent because they work? Makes no sense. Most people work.

You're not suggesting I must be on the dole because I disagree with clamping are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

They get commission on cars they clamp so the more the better for them.

No they dont. At least not APCOA. They do have targets to hit though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Every clamper is just doing their job. There is a time in everyone's work where they have to be a hard-ass, clampers just have to do it more often and so get inured to it. I'd hate to have a job where people are constantly yelling at you for doing your job, because of nothing but their own fault.

• Advertisement

jebus28, refrain from the strawman arguments.

I was misquoted there first. But ok.

Advertisement