Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

No point posting bout it here, 90% of posters only reply to threads to gleefully tell the OP how wrong they were, dead chuffed with themselves and full of shadenfreude.

Clamping should be illegal, a ticket should suffice. Surely part of the reason for paying to park (besides just blatant money grabbing), is to make it so people will not leave their cars parked longer than necessary and thus making things fair for all, give others a chance to get parked to run their errands etc. Making the car immobile doesn't make much sense and adds more inconvenience than necessary.

My college, in addition to clamps, used to put large A4 size stickers that said PLEASE DO NOT PARK HERE on the windows that were impossible to peel off, basically vandalizing the car, which is really wrong.

Then you look at public footpaths which are meant to be illegal to park on, but my street has so many I have to walk in the street, and nothing is ever done.

Nothing makes sense in this country, and the sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

Is it cool to pretend that clampers aren't complete and utter scumbags now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

jebus28 wrote: »
    Is it cool to pretend that clampers aren't complete and utter scumbags now?

In what way are they scumbags, specifically?

In what way are they scumbags, specifically?

If the best you can do with your life is to place something on a car, that stops it from leaving the place that you don't want it to be, for a living, then you're pretty low in my estimates.

If the best you can do with your life is to place something on a car, that stops it from leaving the place that you don't want it to be, for a living, then you're pretty low in my estimates.

If the best you can do is have a job that allows you to survive, pay rent, support a family etc, then I reckon fair play to you. Many aren't fortunate enough to have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP you'd have to wonder if he had of come back eleven minutes early then would the clampers have been there. To thank him. To congratulate him. Maybe award a prize or at least a refund for the unused time.

Oh no!

It's all one way traffic.
    Take, take, take.
    There's no give.
    thats not how it works , we are all expected to play by the rules . no reward for doing that

OP, how dare you run a bit late even though that is perfectly understandable in modern life. You should have paid far in excess of the time needed to avoid this situation.

OP, how dare you run a bit late even though that is perfectly understandable in modern life. You should have paid far in excess of the time needed to avoid this situation.

Exactly! Plan ahead next time OP, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is no entitlement to a grace period.
    Dinarius wrote: »
    Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?
    Care to explain that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment
    They get commission on cars they clamp so the more the better for them.
    No they don't. Dublin City pays a fixed fee for the year and expect X amount of enforcement.
    I call shenanigans. There's no grace period in Dublin city centre.
    Having voted on the grace period policy document, I can tell you there are grace periods in cases where your parking fee has expired. Obnoxious / nuisance parking won't get a grace period and dangerous parking will get you towed.
    The clampers are notorious as well. They'll clamp you 1 minute over your ticket time.
    What? You mean they actually implement the law? What next, barmen not serving more than a pint in a pint glass?
    Clamping should be illegal, a ticket should suffice.
    I hate to break it to you Vehicle Clamping Act 2015
    Surely part of the reason for paying to park (besides just blatant money grabbing), is to make it so people will not leave their cars parked longer than necessary and thus making things fair for all, give others a chance to get parked to run their errands etc. Making the car immobile doesn't make much sense and adds more inconvenience than necessary.
    The number of vehicles clamped at any one time is modest relative tot eh number of spaces.

On a justice basis it is better than a ticket, as it imposes the punishment at the time of the offence, not weeks later.
    My college, in addition to clamps, used to put large A4 size stickers that said PLEASE DO NOT PARK HERE on the windows that were impossible to peel off, basically vandalizing the car, which is really wrong.
    Ask college security for the approved method of removing the sticker.
    Then you look at public footpaths which are meant to be illegal to park on, but my street has so many I have to walk in the street, and nothing is ever done.
    Report them.
    Such possibilities are considered and you can use Park-by-Text to add time. Indeed, this is the method the OP had used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,794 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or instead of trying to topple society, people could just pay for their parking...

... or catch the bus/train/DART. Or cycle. Or even walk (horrors!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Far in excess? A quarter of an hour's more would have left him well clear - particularly when you add his grace period.

Exactly! Plan ahead next time OP, problem solved.

Nothing quite as cringeworthy as someone getting all giggly and excited at the sight of someone else's misfortune.
    You genuinely think that the cost of removing a clamp is a fair punishment for being 15 minutes late? Nevermind the complete lack of logic clamping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This has to be a wind up :D

Go on outta that ya mad egg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Ah now, no! There'll be no talking sense here.

This is the righteous indignation thread!

Clampers bad, not clampers good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nothing quite as cringeworthy as someone getting all giggly and excited at the sight of someone else's misfortune.
    You genuinely think that the cost of removing a clamp is a fair punishment for being 15 minutes late? Nevermind the complete lack of logic clamping

It was done by phone in the first place. If you're going to be late top up again by an hour, save everyone the hassle.

Far in excess? A quarter of an hour's more would have left him well clear - particularly when you add his grace period.

How would 15 mins have left him well clear particularly after adding his grace period?

You remind me of my grandfather. Loves to see people getting inconvenienced.

Not as bad as someone assuming what others feel. Answering the OP truthfully doesn't mean anybody's 'giggly' or 'exited' by it in the slightest.

Your faux offence is wasted.

Yes. There's no conceiveable scenario in the world where a car is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You genuinely think that the cost of removing a clamp is a fair punishment for being 15 minutes late?

How long grace should ya get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Clamping should be illegal, a ticket should suffice. Surely part of the reason for paying to park (besides just blatant money grabbing), is to make it so people will not leave their cars parked longer than necessary and thus making things fair for all, give others a chance to get parked to run their errands etc. Making the car immobile doesn't make much sense and adds more inconvenience than necessary.

I agree. I can't think of any logical argument in support of clamping.

Ticketing makes sense. Towing a vehicle away makes sense.

Clamping makes zero sense. If a vehicle is illegally parked in some way, clamping simply fixes the illegally parked vehicle in place. It doesn't remove a potential obstruction or free up a parking space for someone else.

• Advertisement

How would 15 mins have left him well clear particularly after adding his grace period?

You remind me of my grandfather. Loves to see people getting inconvenienced.

He was fourteen minutes over. Had he just put a quarter of an hour more in he would have been one minute early , plus his 10 minutes grace period.

In no way do I like to see this happen but to moan and whimper about it is pointless when he is clearly in the wrong.

But carry on with the indignant ranting against the man. It's hilarious.

Not excited at all for anyone's misfortune but completely unwilling to get on board with the idea that a person doing their job is a scumbag just because they happen to be fining someone for breaking the law.

I absolutely agree with clamping as a method. There is nothing lacking in the logic of it either. It's a powerful deterrent to illegal parking. The whole "but you're leaving it in the place you don't want it to be by clamping it" argument is such a naive oversimplification of the process. The further loss of the space for an hour or whatever is an acceptable loss, just like the cost of paying staff to do the clamping in the first place. It's not a quick on the spot fix for the problem, it's a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Martin567 wrote: »
    I agree. I can't think of any logical argument in support of clamping.

Ticketing makes sense. Towing a vehicle away makes sense.

Clamping makes zero sense. If a vehicle is illegally parked in some way, clamping simply fixes the illegally parked vehicle in place. It doesn't remove a potential obstruction or free up a parking space for someone else.

It's actually quite ironic when you say it like that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    How long grace should ya get?

I don't think there should be clamping full stop. Fines where necessary, for dreadful or dangerous parking or very excessive overstaying. Telling someone they deserve the cost of removing a clamp for 15 minutes is pretty pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I absolutely agree with clamping as a method. There is nothing lacking in the logic of it either. It's a powerful deterrent to illegal parking. The whole "but you're leaving it in the place you don't want it to be by clamping it" argument is such a naive oversimplification of the process. The further loss of the space for an hour or whatever is an acceptable loss, just like the cost of paying staff to do the clamping in the first place. It's not a quick on the spot fix for the problem, it's a deterrent.
    The further loss of space for an hour or more is acceptable but 15 minutes is not. That laughable, you put forward that statement as logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dinarius wrote: »
    Got to the car 14:39.

It took about 15 seconds to remove the clamp. Can't have taken that much longer to fix it.

Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

D.

You are quiet correct in the first part....almost but it's not!

The further loss of space for an hour or more is acceptable but 15 minutes is not. That laughable, you put forward that statement as logic.

The 15 minutes isn't the issue, the illegal parking is. I'd support clamping at 1 minute over, with no grace period. It's the same crime.

Patww79 wrote: »
    But it's not something they surprise you with. Why chance it when you know the risk is there?

It's easy to lose track of time or get held up. And I assure you, no explanation of circumstance will change their mind. If you get mugged on the way to your car and are late it's tough sh1t. You need to be a specific type of person to be a clamper.

• Advertisement

The 15 minutes isn't the issue, the illegal parking is. I'd support clamping at 1 minute over, with no grace period. It's the same crime.

Really? 1 minute? Says a lot about you as a person.

Advertisement