Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jebus28 wrote: »
    The further loss of space for an hour or more is acceptable but 15 minutes is not. That laughable, you put forward that statement as logic.

But by using clamping, they make sure other people don't underpay / overstay, thereby freeing up more spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

He was fourteen minutes over. Had he just put a quarter of an hour more in he would have been one minute early , plus his 10 minutes grace period.

In no way do I like to see this happen but to moan and whimper about it is pointless when he is clearly in the wrong.

But carry on with the indignant ranting against the man. It's hilarious.

You really do sound like an 80 year old man that will swallow up any kind of system because "it's always been like that." Are you sure you're not my grandfather?

Victor wrote: »
    But by using clamping, they make sure other people don't underpay / overstay, thereby freeing up more spaces.

Fines would do the exact same thing and not keep the car in the space they want to be free. It's so simple to follow.

Fines would do the exact same thing and not keep the car in the space they want to be free. It's so simple to follow.
    But then there are all sorts of shenanigans to get out of paying fines.

There was a notice in the public office of Dublin Airport Garda Station from the Superintendent addressed to gardaí (based in other stations) that they wouldn't interfere with the parking enforcement by the airport police.

Then there's people with dodgy addresses and 'I didn't get the notice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think there should be clamping full stop. Fines where necessary, for dreadful or dangerous parking or very excessive overstaying. Telling someone they deserve the cost of removing a clamp for 15 minutes is pretty pathetic.

Would you pay a fine issued by a private car parking company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I absolutely agree with clamping as a method. There is nothing lacking in the logic of it either. It's a powerful deterrent to illegal parking. The whole "but you're leaving it in the place you don't want it to be by clamping it" argument is such a naive oversimplification of the process. The further loss of the space for an hour or whatever is an acceptable loss, just like the cost of paying staff to do the clamping in the first place. It's not a quick on the spot fix for the problem, it's a deterrent.

Utterly bizarre logic.

You have to get to the root of what the problem is. Why is the parking illegal? What are you trying to deter?

If someone is taking up a legal parking spot and not paying for it, they are preventing someone else from taking that spot (and paying for it). Clamping means the spot is still unavailable to anyone else.

If an illegally parked car is causing an obstruction and/or a traffic jam, clamping will only make the situation worse.

For your argument to make any sense, clamping would be about trying to change behaviour and, if successful, clampers would eventually make themselves redundant. Do you think this is the plan?

It seems much more likely that clamping is a longer term exercise in short term thinking (a cheap money making strategy) which fixes problems in place every day.

Martin567 wrote: »
    For your argument to make any sense, clamping would be about trying to change behaviour and, if successful, clampers would eventually make themselves redundant. Do you think this is the plan?
    Yes it is and it has worked. Before clamping, parking in Dublin was appalling and evasion was rife.

Would you pay a fine issued by a private car parking company?

What does it matter who issues the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So what was the grace period, was it Grace Jones or Grace Slick or perhaps Princess Grace. :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Victor wrote: »
    Yes it is and it has worked. Before clamping, parking in Dublin was appalling and evasion was rife.

Clampers are working themselves out of a job? Forget firemen or doctors, clampers are the new heroes for our children to aspire to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You're supposed to be back to your car before the grace period. And you're complaining now about wanting a second grace period on top of that.
    Getting clamped sucks..but no sympathy here sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Clampers are working themselves out of a job? Forget firemen or doctors, clampers are the new heroes for our children to aspire to be.

Jebus, you're posting like you've had some issues with clampers in the past.

This is a safe and unassuming place, want to tell us about it? How did it make you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    It's all one way traffic.
    Take, take, take.
    There's no give.

And even where there's give and you don't want it you're sneered at. I always put €19.97 worth of fuel into the petrol tank and hesitate slightly as if I'm expecting the three cents change.

You just can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I feel it was harsh been caught after one minute , when you see the percentage of cars that get away with up to an hour without ticket .

I was parked at the back of Waterloo Lane one day and was 45 minutes late getting back to car after appointment ran late . Got away with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

One solution is to buy your own clamp and stick it on when you park. When you come back take it off and throw in tho boot. In the interim no clamper is going to waste time looking at a car already clamped.

Utterly bizarre logic.

You have to get to the root of what the problem is. Why is the parking illegal? What are you trying to deter?

If someone is taking up a legal parking spot and not paying for it, they are preventing someone else from taking that spot (and paying for it). Clamping means the spot is still unavailable to anyone else.

If an illegally parked car is causing an obstruction and/or a traffic jam, clamping will only make the situation worse.

It seems much more likely that clamping is a longer term exercise in short term thinking (a cheap money making strategy) which fixes problems in place every day.
    You think there should be no illegal parking? A free for all in the city? That never worked when he city was an absolute mess of cars ,and thats why clampers were necessary, they have undobtedly helped to create more comfortable cities and public spaces for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers , and everyone

One solution is to buy your own clamp and stick it on when you park. When you come back take it off and throw in tho boot. In the interim no clamper is going to waste time looking at a car already clamped.

Yeah, it's not like the have a system where they log the time and place of each vehicle clamped :pac:

me_irl wrote: »
    Jebus, you're posting like you've had some issues with clampers in the past.

This is a safe and unassuming place, want to tell us about it? How did it make you feel?

Never had a direct issue no. Not so much as a fine here.

However, when I worked at Ardkeen Hospital there were clampers operating and staff hated them. Everyday we had people, generally elderly folk, that took longer than anticipated or lost track of time coming in very upset asking us to remove the clamps. The hospital could do nothing.
    There was one case where a terminally ill man was being discharged and the wife was clamped because, as is a daily occurrence in hospitals, they were delayed getting to their car. They both had to wait over and hour for a relative to bring them cash from Wexford to remove the clamp. The clampers there were complete scobes with no morals. But sure they should have bought extra parking lol, am I doing it right?

Yeah, it's not like the have a system where they log the time and place of each vehicle clamped :pac:

Yeah pf course and they constantly check against that log as they drive around checking any clamped car to see if its a fake clamp. Dont they.

I dont know if this would work..Im sure clampers have a system where units would visit areas which haven't had any other clampers working that day and wouldnt come across a clamped car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

wakka12 wrote: »
    You think there should be no illegal parking? A free for all in the city? That never worked when he city was an absolute mess of cars ,and thats why clampers were necessary, they have undobtedly helped to create more comfortable cities and public spaces for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers , and everyone

What are you talking about? Please read my posts. I clearly said that ticketing and towing away are logical but clamping doesn't make sense.

What are you talking about? Please read my posts. I clearly said that ticketing and towing away are logical but clamping doesn't make sense.

To be pro clamping, you need to be devoid of all logic in the first place.

To be pro clamping, you need to be void of all logic in the first place.

Or "protest too much methinks" to the point where you look like you've had a run in with them before (and it didn't turn out in your favour).

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont know if this would work..Im sure clampers have a system where units would visit areas which haven't had any other clampers working that day and wouldnt come across a clamped car

You're some miserable, humourless shower.

What you could do wakka is get two clamps.
    Park tight to the curb. Clamp your two outside wheels. Now they have no wheel to clamp. Its perfectly legal for you to clamp your own property.

HA! Now get out of that one.
    Now where's your logs and your area designations?

Or "protest too much methinks" to the point where you look like you've had a run in with them before (and it didn't turn out in your favour).

I already explained how it impacted me personally. Although I was always against clamping, as it's illogical. And not a single person has successfully explained how clamping makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

If you're 4 minutes late for work you know your boss is waiting.

A grace is a grace.

You're some miserable, humourless shower.

What you could do wakka is get two clamps.
    Park tight to the curb. Clamp your two outside wheels. Now they have no wheel to clamp. Its perfectly legal for you to clamp your own property.

HA! Now get out of that one.
    Now where's your logs and your area designations?

Theyll only clamp your clamps if you do that.

Theyll only clamp your clamps if you do that.

https://youtu.be/pPIr46MLZag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

So what was the grace period, was it Grace Jones or Grace Slick or perhaps Princess Grace. :D:D:D

Grace Gifford. I reckon Jim McCann had it sussed - 'Oh Grace just hold me in your arms and let this moment linger...' If only the moment had lingered for the poor OP :(

• Advertisement

If you said grace before your dinner every evening op this sort of bad luck wouldn't be coming to you.

Advertisement