Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options
  • 03-08-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

Parked in central Dublin today. Paid for 4 hours parking in total (by phone)

Parking expired at 14:25. Grace period is 10 minutes. (They told me this on the phone)

Ticket was time stamped 14:36.

You have to think they stood there and waited until the grace period expired.

Annoying.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Probably shoulda just gotten back to your car before the parking expired...

Also, fair play to them for giving a grace period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Harsh but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They did. They waited 11 minutes.

Clamped after......

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Surely if you got back 1 minute after the expiry time the clampers would still be there considering it would take more than 1 minute to clamp and write ticket take photo etc :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dinarius wrote: »

Parking expired at 14:25. Grace period is 10 minutes. (They told me this on the phone)

Annoying.

D.

I'd say thats exactly what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Listen, even if Grace was having a bad day, she still has to adhere to the parking laws like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You were 11 minutes late! What do you want? A grace period on the grace period?

And the ticket was after 11 minutes over. How much later did you return to the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Annoying.

D.
    And when did you actually get back to the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Hey OP, is this thread going the way you thought it would?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is the max stay not 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You were 11 minutes late! What do you want? A grace period on the grace period?

And the ticket was after 11 minutes over. How much later did you return to the car?

Got to the car 14:39.

It took about 15 seconds to remove the clamp. Can't have taken that much longer to fix it.

Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Dinarius

me_irl wrote: »
    Hey OP, is this thread going the way you thought it would?

LOL!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Senseless waste of 12 euro or so for 4 hours parking knowing you were going to return 11 minutes late and pay an €80 release fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Dinarius wrote:
    Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

I don't think entrapment means what you think it means.

Got to the car 14:39.

It took about 15 seconds to remove the clamp. Can't have taken that much longer to fix it.

D.

It's not remotely like entrapment. Had they done something to deliberately delay you (:rolleyes:) it would be entrapment.

They are perfectly entitled to wait at cars if the time is running out. It's your responsibility to return to your car in time, not 14 minutes later.

In fairness to the OP you'd have to wonder if he had of come back eleven minutes early then would the clampers have been there. To thank him. To congratulate him. Maybe award a prize or at least a refund for the unused time.

Oh no!

It's all one way traffic.
    Take, take, take.
    There's no give.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP , ya just gotta play a different game next time you park in a metered area.
    Try removing all four of your wheels putting in your boot or how about buying four clamps of your own and putting one on each wheel.

It's not remotely like entrapment. Had they done something to deliberately delay you (:rolleyes:) it would be entrapment.

They are perfectly entitled to wait at cars if the time is running out. It's your responsibility to return to your car in time, not 14 minutes later.

Also, pretty sure entrapment doesn't exist in Irish law...
    Are Am Eye wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP you'd have to wonder if he had of come back eleven minutes early then would the clampers have been there. To thank him. To congratulate him. Maybe award a prize or at least a refund for the unused time.

Oh no!

It's all one way traffic.
    Take, take, take.
    There's no give.

Why on Earth... of course it's take take take! That's exactly how it's supposed to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

D.

Ya, probably. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If more people avoided the city centre and did all their business where parking is free then the businesses in the centre would close down and thousands of people would be made redundant and thousand of businesses would close down and less rates would be paid and a lot of councillors would lose their seats in the next local elections and there would be hell to pay. But people are not gutsy enough to do this and the city is too attractive for most people so this dream scenario will not happen. I would love to see all DCC councillors lose their seats in the next election and all traffic wardens and clampers get some painful malady that does not quite kill them but makes their miserable lives a misery. While I have never been clamped because of my obsession with punctuality and time keeping I know lots of decent but slightly absent minded and busy people who are regularly taken for a ride with these horrendous parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

They get commission on cars they clamp so the more the better for them.

Why on Earth... of course it's take take take! That's exactly how it's supposed to work!

I'm afraid Nervous Wreck that you are afflicted with the kind of clamp that no credit or debit card can remove.
    Yes, the clamp on you heart.

Your compassion is chained to the bed of a tow truck on route to the crushing yard.

There will always be men like the OP, NW.
    Strike him down, and ten more will rise up to take his place. Smash the System!

doolox wrote: »
    I know lots of decent but slightly absent minded and busy people who are regularly taken for a ride with these horrendous parasites.

If they are regularly caught then they are not just busy or absent minded.

doolox wrote: »
    If more people avoided the city centre and did all their business where parking is free then the businesses in the centre would close down and thousands of people would be made redundant and thousand of businesses would close down and less rates would be paid and a lot of councillors would lose their seats in the next local elections and there would be hell to pay. But people are not gutsy enough to do this and the city is too attractive for most people so this dream scenario will not happen. I would love to see all DCC councillors lose their seats in the next election and all traffic wardens and clampers get some painful malady that does not quite kill them but makes their miserable lives a misery. While I have never been clamped because of my obsession with punctuality and time keeping I know lots of decent but slightly absent minded and busy people who are regularly taken for a ride with these horrendous parasites.

Or instead of trying to topple society, people could just pay for their parking...

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I'm afraid Nervous Wreck that you are afflicted with the kind of clamp that no credit or debit card can remove.
    Yes, the clamp on you heart.

Your compassion is chained to the bed of a tow truck on route to the crushing yard.

There will always be men like the OP, NW.
    Strike him down, and ten more will rise up to take his place. Smash the System!

What does compassion have to do with anything? Use a service, pay the fee. It's incredibly straightforward. It's one of the most basic elements of our society.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I call shenanigans. There's no grace period in Dublin city centre.

The clampers are notorious as well. They'll clamp you 1 minute over your ticket time.

I call shenanigans. There's no grace period in Dublin city centre.

The clampers are notorious as well. They'll clamp you 1 minute over your ticket time.

Just as well the OP was a quarter of an hour over so, or he'd have something to gripe about.

• Advertisement

What does compassion have to do with anything? Use a service, pay the fee. It's incredibly straightforward. It's one of the most basic elements of our society.

Are you a prog / bot?
    Is this the begining of AI taking over?

Advertisement