Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

seachto7 wrote:
    I rang up and got no joy off them. It was the Apcoa crowd. I don’t know how anyone does that job.

When a mortgage must be paid and kids supported, you d be surprised what people do to survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

Guffy wrote: »
    No they dont. At least not APCOA. They do have targets to hit though

So they get punished when there's not enough people to clamp. Lol. Explains the cynical clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

jebus28 wrote: »
    Seriously? They would know when the people return to the car obviously. And 100 percent of the time will refuse to remove the clamp without payment. Nurses used to try explain to them reasons for patients running over and they wouldn't budge.
    Again they need a specific type of person to do this work, and they generally lack morals.
    yes , seriously. while it is terrible that someone is terrible ill it does not give them the right to block or restrict access for someone else who may be in the same position

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The O.P. says they were using Park by Text to pay for their parking, they would have received a warning text 10 minutes before the time expired. If they knew that they were not going to get back to the car within the time frame all they had to was take their phone out of their pocket and top up their parking payment by another 15 minutes, easy to do.
    Seriously folks, if you have a phone that can send and receive texts you have no excuses for getting clamped by street clampers.

Thats fair enough. Im not pulling any punches here, I hate clampers. The parking racket in this country is a disgrace. To have the privilege of driving a car you have to deal with so much penny punching just to get your car on the road. Everything about driving a car is money for people, who lets face, do feck all and dont provide any service. their 'job' is a joke, its all about taking money without providing any real service to the car driver. Clampers, insurance companies, NCT, tax, its all a money racket. None of these jobs would be missed if the were gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Syphonax wrote: »
    Thats fair enough. Im not pulling any punches here, I hate clampers. The parking racket in this country is a disgrace. To have the privilege of driving a car you have to deal with so much penny punching just to get your car on the road. Everything about driving a car is money for people, who lets face, do feck all and dont provide any service. their 'job' is a joke, its all about taking money without providing any real service to the car driver. Clampers, insurance companies, NCT, tax, its all a money racket. None of these jobs would be missed if the were gone tomorrow.
    well then strike a blow against the clampers you hate so much by paying for parking and parking properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Surely this park by text thing should debit your account based on the actual time you spend parked rather than making you guess in advance and have to re up when you might be busy doing something else? Sounds like a half arsed solution designed to maximise profit rather than incentivise fair use and convenience.

Anyone parking up should have some idea how long they expect to be away from the car, so pay accordingly whether you feel it will be 15 minutes or a couple of hours.
    The nature of my work I could be 20 minutes or 8 hrs. So unless I know differently I start off with 30 minutes, if I need more time, I top up accordingly.
    The other benefit is that you are paying for the zone, not the street. So I could have two calls in the same zone, so any time left over from the last top up is still valid even if I am parked elsewhere.

yes , seriously. while it is terrible that someone is terrible ill it does not give them the right to block or restrict access for someone else who may be in the same position

You dont know what you're talking about really. When I worked in Ardkeen you had 20 minutes to get in and get the patient in the car if you parked in the spaces by the main entrance. Sometimes a doctor would wish to speak to the family and by the time they got out they were clamped.

But sure their family member shouldn't have been sick in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you really think you should be able to drive without insurance, park for free, not contribute to the upkeep of the roads you use, drive a potentially unsafe car with no oversight, park where you like for free .......?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Ok so you believe if there was no car insurance and if anybody was allowed to drive ads whether they were anyway close to roadworthy or not that it wouldn't be missed?

And you believe that the millions of euro collected monthly and annually for motor tax which is spent by the government would not be missed?

You believe that the thousands of people employed by the motoring industry suddenly becoming unemployed and no one would care?

Allinall wrote: »
    Do you really think you should be able to drive without insurance, park for free, not contribute to the upkeep of the roads you use, drive a potentially unsafe car with no oversight, park where you like for free .......?

Insurance isn't compulsory in New Zealand actually, the way it should be. Or are we all only happy to pay outlandish rates for insurance in AH too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

You dont know what you're talking about really. When I worked in Ardkeen you had 20 minutes to get in and get the patient in the car if you parked in the spaces by the main entrance. Sometimes a doctor would wish to speak to the family and by the time they got out they were clamped.

But sure their family member shouldn't have been sick in the first place.

I've been in that situation a few times myself. I usually park further away, because I know that delays are very common. When I have the family member ready to go at the entrance, I go off and bring the car round to pick them up.
    Assume there will be delays and plan accordingly, instead of taking a chance and complaining when you get caught out.

swampgas wrote: »
    Assume there will be delays and plan accordingly, instead of taking a chance and complaining when you get caught out.

Or just let old people that didn't know any better and who are 5 mins late go home without fining them €120 .

That's ignoring the fact they are fixing a car to the spot they badly need free. Logic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Victor wrote: »
    How would Park-by-Text know when you leave?

I've no idea how it works currently but it can't be too hard to add a button where you indicate that you've left. With a 1000 euro fine for abusing it.

How does it notify the clampers when you've topped up?

Insurance isn't compulsory in New Zealand actually, the way it should be. Or are we all only happy to pay outlandish rates for insurance in AH too?

But they still have same amount of people insured as countries where insurance is compulsory.

Or just let old people who are 5 mins late go home without fining them €120 .

Where do you draw the line? If 5 mins is ok what about 10 minutes? 20 minutes? 30? An hour? A day?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm pretty sure that overstaying in a demarcated parking space is neither illegal nor a crime.
    Knock yourself out: http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlByeLaws2014.pdf

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/36/enacted/en/html
    (8) (a) A person who contravenes a bye-law under this section shall be guilty of an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

jebus28 wrote:
    Or just let old people that didn't know any better and who are 5 mins late go home without fining them €120 .

And how does the clamper know which cars are owned by old people? And where is the line for old? I know my teenage son would think 40 is old. A 20 year old clamper would think the same. Ridiculous.

laotg wrote: »
    And how does the clamper know which cars are owned by old people?

You do realise the clamper has to return to remove the clamp yeah?

Old people is an example, obviously, to highlight how clamping at hospital entrances is exploitative and counter intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Dinarius wrote: »
    Yes, the letter of the law, but waiting (which they surely did) is almost entrapment, isn't it?

They didn't fucking entice you into being 15 minutes late, it's your own fault for being late.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And you do realise that motoring laws and bye-laws apply to you whether you're 18 or 80, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

That's ignoring the fact they are fixing a car to the spot they badly need free. Logic.

"Old people who don't know any better?"

Being old doesn't make you an idiot.

Culturally, Irish people tend to be flexible with rules, however when it comes to limited shared resources there isn't much alternative to rigorous enforcement. And that's because Irish people tend to take the p!ss too much to allow too much leeway.

Cork airport has a set-down area which has often been full of parked cars. The authorities turn a blind eye when it's quiet, which is fair enough, but when it's busy (like at Christmas) you can have a situation where there isn't a single space to drop someone off because a bunch of lazy drivers didn't want to park a few minutes away in the short term car park.

Clonakilty has a big supermarket with a large forecourt and a multistory carpark built right over it. But people still park in front of the doors - which is yellow-boxed - and if someone else has beat them to it, sometimes they have the cheek to compain to the the manager about having to walk across the car park!

The sense of entitlement off people who just want to park *their* car anywhere they like whenever they like, and screw everyone else, is something else.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And you do realise that motoring laws and bye-laws apply to you whether you're 18 or 80, yeah?

Yawn. You never acknowledged that you wrongly accused me of being on the dole because I am against clamping.

swampgas wrote: »
    "Old people who don't know any better?"

Being old doesn't make you an idiot.

Culturally, Irish people tend to be flexible with rules, however when it comes to limited shared resources there isn't much alternative to rigorous enforcement. And that's because Irish people tend to take the p!ss too much to allow too much leeway.

Cork airport has a set-down area which has often been full of parked cars. The authorities turn a blind eye when it's quiet, which is fair enough, but when it's busy (like at Christmas) you can have a situation where there isn't a single space to drop someone off because a bunch of lazy drivers didn't want to park a few minutes away in the short term car park.

Clonakilty has a big supermarket with a large forecourt and a multistory carpark built right over it. But people still park in front of the doors - which is yellow-boxed - and if someone else has beat them to it, sometimes they have the cheek to compain to the the manager about having to walk across the car park!

The sense of entitlement off people who just want to park *their* car anywhere they like whenever they like, and screw everyone else, is soemthing else.
    Those situations aren't comparable to clamping at hospital entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Old people is an example, obviously, to highlight how clamping at hospital entrances is exploitative and counter intuitive.

Then I could bring along an old person and have them pretend to own the car!

Actually, then old people could hire themselves out as people that pretend to own cars that are clamped. Pay them a tenner to show up when the clamper returns and whehey, clamp removed for 10 quid.

But then, old people who hire out their services would unionise, would demand more money for impersonating car owners and then would eventually be hated just as much as the clampers themselves.

Or all the above nonsense would be avoided if people paid for their parking and avoid getting clamped in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Those situations aren't comparable to clamping at hospital entrances.

How is the clamper supposed to know if a person is old, sick, or has just decided to dump their car there while they go to a café?

Rules are rules. If you park where you shouldn't you inconvenience people who may be even older or even sicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yawn. You never acknowledged that wrongly you accused me of being on the dole because I am against clamping.

You're making things up, I never accused you of anything. I didn't say or suggest anything about your work situation personally. Read it back. I was saying I find people who actually go out and earn a living, no matter what that job is, are far more decent in my eyes than those who do nothing but complain about that shower in the Dail/ the bankers/ whoever else despite never having held down a job in their own lives. My point was people who can and do work are generally more decent than those who can and won't.

Or all the above nonsense would be avoided if people paid for their parking and avoid getting clamped in the first place.

We are talking about hospital entrances where you are granted 20 minutes to collect relatives and how people get held up through the fault of the hospital. As as my experience working in a hospital. Reading is important isn't it?

kylith wrote: »
    How is the clamper supposed to know if a person is old, sick, or has just decided to dump their car there while they go to a café?

Sigh really? He sees them when he returns to remove the clamp.

Sure we've all parked at a hospital entrance to enjoy their delicious coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sigh really? He sees them when he returns to remove the clamp.

And what's old enough, or sick enough? Will they be producing a doctors note or should the clamper take their word for it? Does the driver have to be ill, or is a passenger ok? What's the ranking? Does gout trump getting stitches or not?

The only fair way is the same rule for everyone.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're making things up, I never accused you of anything. I didn't say or suggest anything about your work situation personally. Read it back. I was saying I find people who actually go out and earn a living, no matter what that job is, are far more decent in my eyes than those who do nothing but complain about that shower in the Dail/ the bankers/ whoever else despite never having held down a job in their own lives. My point was people who can and do work are generally more decent than those who can and won't.
    You said people who feel victims or bankers, guards or clampers are most likely on the dole.

Advertisement