Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped one minute after the grace period....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

jebus28 wrote: »
    I would argue that a fine in hospitals would achieve the same goal.

It wouldnt though, hospitals are (generally) private property so it would be very hard to actually collect on that fine and people would know this.

So some people would park with impunity safe in the knowledge that apart from a few debt collector letters they would get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I would argue that a fine in hospitals would achieve the same goal.

You could.

You'd be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

You could.

You'd be wrong though.

Great debating skills there. Well done.

So I assume clampers will be heading for redundancy soon what with all this deterring they're doing? They need to make money, and hospital entrances are good business, stick a clamp on 21 minutes over time while someone is making their way to the care. Free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The sooner private cars are banned from cities the better. The whole lot of ye should be on the bus. Clampers and all.

amcalester wrote: »
    It wouldnt though, hospitals are (generally) private property so it would be very hard to actually collect on that fine and people would know this.

So some people would park with impunity safe in the knowledge that apart from a few debt collector letters they would get away with it.
    Some indeed, and probably nowhere near an amount of people to justify clamping at hospitals.

The idea was to stop idiotic, inconsiderate or dangerous parking. Not to target the entrance to the letter of the law just to make easy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm one of these typical anti clamp bastards that usually can be found offering support for those unfortunate enough to find themselves being clamped.

In saying that, op is expecting grace on a grace period?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

So I assume clampers will be heading for redundancy soon what with all this deterring they're doing? They need to make money, and hospital entrances are good business, stick a clamp on 21 minutes over time while someone is making their way to the care. Free money.

You've been told several times, if they are clamping in a hospital car park, they have been contracted to do that by the management of the hospital. They aren't some rogue gang looking for somewhere to prey on the elderly and vulnerable. The people doing the clamping aren't really the ones you should be directing your anger at

Some indeed, and probably nowhere near an amount of people to justify clamping at hospitals.

The idea was to stop idiotic, inconsiderate or dangerous parking. Not to target the entrance to the letter of the law just to make easy money.

Due to the limited number of spaces available in most hospitals, some is all it takes. Then others will follow, its human nature.

This is all moot anyway, the OP was clamped in a public space not private property.

simonw wrote: »
    You've been told several times, if they are clamping in a hospital car park, they have been contracted to do that by the management of the hospital. They aren't some rogue gang looking for somewhere to prey on the elderly and vulnerable. The people doing the clamping aren't really the ones you should be directing your anger at
    I know well hospitable management contracted them. Following orders isn't really a justified defence though is it?

I know well hospitable management contracted them. Following orders isn't really a justified defence though is it?

It is when that's what you've legally been employed to do.

Paying clambers who don't clamp is wastage that even the HSE would struggle to justify.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    It is when that's what you've legally been employed to do.

Paying clambers who don't clamp is wastage that even the HSE would struggle to justify.

And thus it's all about money and less about patient welfare.

Well no, because it benefits all patients bar those that are clamped.

No, clampers won't be out of business, there's far too many people that don't give a fiddlers about anyone else, and so park without due care, and get clamped.

If there are few spaces, and they're all taken up with people taking 21,23, 25 minutes, what happens to those needing to access the space while they're away? They get told to jog on, unfairly.

A fine (or multiple fines in this case) would raise money, but as other people don't SEE it, they don't pay attention to it, and they chance it as well. But if people see a clamp, they are less likely to risk it. Do some still get clamped? Yes. Is it **** when someone gets stung, especially when they are more vunerable? For sure. But as a whole, it reduces the problem, and makes it fairer for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

What are you jabbering on about? A decent thing to do would be not charge them 120 euro to remove it. For the 20th time, old people was an example. Get out a medical encyclopedia, anyone with those conditions shouldn't be clamped in hospital entrances. Better?

The clampers themselves don't collect the money to remove the clamp. You ring, pay someone over the phone and they send the clampers back to you to remove it.

So if someone did decide to implement this ridiculous idea of not charging older people in hospitals, its not the clampers who can decide to waive the 80 fee when the person comes out. So this person would still have to prove over the phone that they are old/sick/got delayed.

Its never going to happen!

Ashbx wrote: »
    The clampers themselves don't collect the money to remove the clamp. You ring, pay someone over the phone and they send the clampers back to you to remove it.

So if someone did decide to implement this ridiculous idea of not charging older people in hospitals, its not the clampers who can decide to waive the 80 fee when the person comes out. So this person would still have to prove over the phone that they are old/sick/got delayed.

Its never going to happen!

The company in Ardkeen used to only accept cash. It was completely unregulated. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you were to give an hours grace time and someone still got a ticket or clamp one minute passed the hour they would still be moaning about it.
    Give some people an inch and they Will take a mile.
    Patient drop off points are just that, Stop, Drop and Drive Away.
    I do it on very regular basis in Beaumont, its not that difficult.
    Its up to the hospitals if they want to introduce some waiver for people, but until they implement it then nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

No one is talking about visiting patients.
    i can explain it so , while i was visiting patients i have seen the places people park, showing total disregard for everyone . On the evening i lost a parent there was 5 of us in five different cars , none of us were clamped as we parked properly.
    I can also hazard a guess that most people who are clamped in hospitals are not dealing with terminally or even critically ill people

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dinarius wrote: »
    Parked in central Dublin today. Paid for 4 hours parking in total (by phone)

Parking expired at 14:25. Grace period is 10 minutes. (They told me this on the phone)

Ticket was time stamped 14:36.

You have to think they stood there and waited until the grace period expired.

Annoying.

D.

The OP, just as a reminder that this started out as a question about parking in a public street, and clamping by the council-contracted clampers for Dublin City.

Not private clampers employed (or not) at a hospital in Waterford.

I grew up close to Dublin city centre. Clampers were one of the best things that happened since that time - when I got to driving age as a student with plenty of spare time, if someone in the house had to use the car during the weekday working hours, I became the "official parker of the car" when they returned, as you were almost guaranteed to need to wait for an hour or more for someone to move - the residential road was absolutely choc-a-block with cars abandoned by people who then walked into town/work.

I've never been clamped, and I'd be hopping mad (at myself, mostly) if I was - but they've transformed the parking situation in Dublin beyond belief.

They're a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

it is all about patient welfare, couple of spaces near doors to allow patient drop off and pick up , people have the attitude , im ok here and f..k the next fell

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Allinall wrote: »
    Do you really think you should be able to drive without insurance, park for free, not contribute to the upkeep of the roads you use, drive a potentially unsafe car with no oversight, park where you like for free .......?

Yes I prefer the New Zealand model of car insurance. Parking is a joke in ireland, paid parking only benefits people running a carpark its the easiest racket form of money making ever, the state of the roads in Ireland is terrible, potholes at every turn over paid council officials staring down holes, my tax money goes to pay their salaries and pensions first whats left goes on the roads.
    Django99 wrote: »
    Ok so you believe if there was no car insurance and if anybody was allowed to drive ads whether they were anyway close to roadworthy or not that it wouldn't be missed?

And you believe that the millions of euro collected monthly and annually for motor tax which is spent by the government would not be missed?

You believe that the thousands of people employed by the motoring industry suddenly becoming unemployed and no one would care?

I wouldnt care. NCT is a racket for out of work mechanics we didnt need it before it existed and dont need it now. It was created to screw motorists plain and simple. As for the other taxes, soft lads like you are the reason we pay for them, no guts to say no like Irish Water protesters. Spineless and happy to pony up the dough. As for car insurance, its the biggest fleece this country in this country and getting worse year on year. you only have to see your most recent quote to realise that.

• Advertisement

Syphonax wrote: »

I wouldnt care. NCT is a racket for out of work mechanics we didnt need it before it existed and dont need it now. It was created to screw motorists plain and simple. As for the other taxes, soft lads like you are the reason we pay for them, no guts to say no like Irish Water protesters. Spineless and happy to pony up the dough. As for car insurance, its the biggest fleece this country in this country and getting worse year on year. you only have to see your most recent quote to realise that.

You DO remember what cars were like, before the test was introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Syphonax wrote: »
    I wouldnt care. NCT is a racket for out of work mechanics we didnt need it before it existed and dont need it now. It was created to screw motorists plain and simple.

Ah now, gway outta that. You must have no memory of the amount of dangerous sh1theaps billowing smoke on our roads in the 90s. The scrappage scheme wasn't enough of an incentive to get these mechanically dangerous cars off the road, so the NCT was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The company in Ardkeen used to only accept cash. It was completely unregulated. Look it up.

Plus the Ardkeen clampers continuously used their mobile phone while driving taking photos of potential lawbreakers .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I call shenanigans. There's no grace period in Dublin city centre.

The clampers are notorious as well. They'll clamp you 1 minute over your ticket time.

Wrong.

There is a 10 minute grace period, after the ticket time, This was confirmed to me yesterday by the person who took my credit card details.

Hence the clamp on the 11th minute.

To be honest, the only reason I started this thread (which appears to have grown legs!) is because someone said to me yesterday that, if they were hanging around the car waiting for the 11th minute, that might constitute entrapment.

But, that doesn't appear to be the case.

D.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I agree. I can't think of any logical argument in support of clamping.

Ticketing makes sense. Towing a vehicle away makes sense.

Clamping makes zero sense. If a vehicle is illegally parked in some way, clamping simply fixes the illegally parked vehicle in place. It doesn't remove a potential obstruction or free up a parking space for someone else.

I disagree.

The time and cost of chasing non-payment of fines via the courts vastly exceeds the cost of having the clampers return to remove the clamp.

D.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I grew up close to Dublin city centre. Clampers were one of the best things that happened since that time - when I got to driving age as a student with plenty of spare time, if someone in the house had to use the car during the weekday working hours, I became the "official parker of the car" when they returned, as you were almost guaranteed to need to wait for an hour or more for someone to move - the residential road was absolutely choc-a-block with cars abandoned by people who then walked into town/work.

A thousand times this.

I also remember Dublin before clamping, it was a nightmare for parking. There were obviously huge numbers of people who dumped their cars wherever they fancied for the day and ignored any tickets they got, or didn't care about paying.

These people who appear to believe that we should just allow people to park wherever they want in Dublin are living in cloud-cuckoo land.

There's no debate about it clamping has delivered a huge improvement in parking in Dublin, the complainers are the usual 'the rules don't apply to me' brigade who appear to think we need a grace period on top of a grace period etc etc.

Nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I have to use pay & display almost everyday whilst working (job requires me to be all over the country including Dublin CC). Number of times I've been clamped? Zero.

It's laughable that some people will resort to blaming everything and anyone except themselves for their own errors.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Max stay is 3 hours so they gave you an extra hour and 10 mins to get back.

http://www.dublincity.ie/pay-and-display-step-step

If you pay incrementally, as I always do, can anyone prove that you're car isn't in a different space in the 4th hour?

D.

Plus the Ardkeen clampers continuously used their mobile phone while driving taking photos of potential lawbreakers .

Lovely decent fellows.

• Advertisement

These people who appear to believe that we should just allow people to park wherever they want in Dublin are living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Haven't heard a single person say that.

Advertisement