Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

...and here's the heartburn. It took until I was about 30 weeks last time for that to arrive, I'm 19+2 now. Arghhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

...and here's the heartburn. It took until I was about 30 weeks last time for that to arrive, I'm 19+2 now. Arghhh.

Oh no! Mine gets me at night and when it’s followed by throwing up it is soooooo painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Random post but I've struggled with weight (12-14 size generally) and am big now. I know I'm pregnant but still struggling with it a bit. Did anyone else find this?

Today was tough. Going to say to my midwife about the spd and see if I can get a belt. Sitting for too long is so sore. Work is getting me some supports too. Hope it helps, I've 4 months left at work.

Random post but I've struggled with weight (12-14 size generally) and am big now. I know I'm pregnant but still struggling with it a bit. Did anyone else find this?

Today was tough. Going to say to my midwife about the spd and see if I can get a belt. Sitting for too long is so sore. Work is getting me some supports too. Hope it helps, I've 4 months left at work.

You can find guidelines online for recommended weight gain during pregnancy. Talk to the midwife or doctor and if you’re worried why not ask about doing a glucose tolerance test to test for gestational diabetes?

Mine is booked in for November as I’m 35 and size 16 prior to pregnancy. I haven’t gained weight at all because I’ve thrown up so much. I’ve a big bump but lost weight in other areas. I’m worried about it but doctor just says baby is getting all it needs so not to worry.

Everyone’s body handles pregnancy differently and the important thing is to eat healthy balanced diet and take care of yourself x

The Yogabellies support belts are going for £9.99 on Amazon at the moment - I've just grabbed one for running as we're getting to the "shot put on my bladder" stage.

I was a 12-14 before as well, still hadn't lost the extra weight I was clinging onto after my son before #2 was a thing! Marathon training while breastfeeding was a great way to eat rings around myself and not lose any.

• Advertisement

20 week scan today - all good even if it took a while to get some of the measurements thanks to a very wriggly baby! :)

You can find guidelines online for recommended weight gain during pregnancy. Talk to the midwife or doctor and if you’re worried why not ask about doing a glucose tolerance test to test for gestational diabetes?

Mine is booked in for November as I’m 35 and size 16 prior to pregnancy. I haven’t gained weight at all because I’ve thrown up so much. I’ve a big bump but lost weight in other areas. I’m worried about it but doctor just says baby is getting all it needs so not to worry.

Everyone’s body handles pregnancy differently and the important thing is to eat healthy balanced diet and take care of yourself x
    Sorry meant to reply but forgot. I am weighing myself and keeping an eye. I've probably put on about 3lb too much. Will chat to the midwife on Thursday. It's more the expanding middle. I've always had a slim tummy and waist so just struggling with that. You're meat to put on up to 19lb and I'll put on 10 so far but I'm only half way. It's silly really!

It's mad how our bodies react differently, I'm coping on with my eating and thankfully want my normal healthy foods again. Glad you're Dr said all is good but yes you still worry.

Glad the scan went well RK, I've mine Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 flix

Is anyone practising gentle birth? I just downloaded the app yesterday but that's as far as I've gotten!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,910 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm had started the beginner meditations but the app has suddenly stopped working for me. I'm just wondering also how will I use it in labour seeing as how phones can't be used in the delivery room.

Midwife yesterday - all well and now have the paperwork sent to HR to start planning maternity leave. Feels like miles off but it'll fly in, particularly with Christmas in the way!

Whooping cough vaccine tomorrow and will ask for flu shot as well.

• Advertisement

Had the anolomy scan and all good. Very active baby, it was wriggling so much and that explains what I've been feeling!

Feeling so much better in the last few days. Sleep helps everything!

Toots wrote: »
    I'm had started the beginner meditations but the app has suddenly stopped working for me. I'm just wondering also how will I use it in labour seeing as how phones can't be used in the delivery room.

Didn't know that about phones! I'm new the the whole thing so don't know much about it, is the whole idea to have it playing during the labour? Maybe you could put your phone to airplane mode and then play it, it can't interfere with anything then.

The app is working fine for me. Try deleting it and downloading it again, that sometimes works.

20 week scan today - all good even if it took a while to get some of the measurements thanks to a very wriggly baby! :)

Exciting! And great all went well. I can’t wait for our next scan - it just seems soooo long! We had the 12 week one but now waiting until nearly 23 weeks for the anomaly scan. The doctor wants to wait till his heart is a bit bigger for a better view as we’ve some very low risk concerns. I find the gap between scans tough this time.

Gaviscon just saved my sanity! I’d been in bits with acid reflux but thankfully it works wonders. Still throwing up every few days but at least I don’t feel acid burning my insides :D

On the Gentle Birth - you can download your favourite tracks and put your phone into flight mode and use it in deliver ward. I did the weekend workshop with my husband. I’ve done some meditation tracks but so far it’s the idea of switching your mentality that’s helping me. I had been really afraid of labour but I think I can psych myself up a bit, use the meditation and instead get excited about it. My husband felt the workshop helped him as he had no idea what to expect or what he can do to help me in the hospital.

Not all of it is for me but I take from it what I think will help and that’s being informed, making choices I am comfortable with and focusing on a more ‘positive mental attitude’ about it all. It’s definitely helped me more than anything else to keep calm and not be overwhelmed or anxious about the birth.

I’m also doing pregnancy yoga with the GB instructor and find that great, and really informative as she covers different topics to go through before the start of the yoga classes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,910 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's good to hear about the app! I've still got my old phone and it still works, so I think I'll stick the app on that and stick it on airplane mode. It doesn't have a sim card or anything in it, so hopefully that'll be grand. Seeing as it's my second baby, I know what to expect in terms of pain etc, but it's the fear of panicking and losing control that's getting to me most. I'm terrified of needles, so ideally I'd like to have as natural a birth as I can (ie without a drip or epidural) because that was what really set me panicking last time.

That's good to hear about the app! I've still got my old phone and it still works, so I think I'll stick the app on that and stick it on airplane mode. It doesn't have a sim card or anything in it, so hopefully that'll be grand. Seeing as it's my second baby, I know what to expect in terms of pain etc, but it's the fear of panicking and losing control that's getting to me most. I'm terrified of needles, so ideally I'd like to have as natural a birth as I can (ie without a drip or epidural) because that was what really set me panicking last time.

I think the meditation and hypnosis tracks could really help you manage any worries like that.

Are the gentle birth workshops worth it? I'm a real organiser and stresser so want to do as much as poss but just wondering if they are worth €350.

Are the gentle birth workshops worth it? I'm a real organiser and stresser so want to do as much as poss but just wondering if they are worth €350.

I’m glad I went. I got the most from the first day, and I thought it was worth it. But a lot of people find the app good enough to prep for Gentle Birth and join the Facebook group.

For me it was worth it to talk through what happens, how to approach it mentally and about preparing a birth plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Finally joining this group. Am 22 weeks and had anomaly scan last week and I think I'm finally at a place where I can accept that this baba might become a reality. Before now, I had been super worried that I was going to jinx it. It's our first and we're both so excited but I'm also a nervous wreck. Have literally only just started thinking about the practicalities of buggies, names etc. so all advice welcome! I'm in the Rotunda and couldn't be happier with the care we've received so far. Have my first ante-natal class in a couple of weeks so maybe will see some of you ladies there too!

Finally joining this group. Am 22 weeks and had anomaly scan last week and I think I'm finally at a place where I can accept that this baba might become a reality. Before now, I had been super worried that I was going to jinx it. It's our first and we're both so excited but I'm also a nervous wreck. Have literally only just started thinking about the practicalities of buggies, names etc. so all advice welcome! I'm in the Rotunda and couldn't be happier with the care we've received so far. Have my first ante-natal class in a couple of weeks so maybe will see some of you ladies there too!

Welcome and congratulations cookiecakes :-)

• Advertisement

I’m glad I went. I got the most from the first day, and I thought it was worth it. But a lot of people find the app good enough to prep for Gentle Birth and join the Facebook group.

For me it was worth it to talk through what happens, how to approach it mentally and about preparing a birth plan.

I only ever joined the FB group - some very good positive birth stories there.

Have been in France with hubby and toddler this week, toddler has been ill the entire time so it's been somewhat stressful. Made it up all the abbey steps on Mont Saint Michel with 13kg of 18 month old in a Manduca though yesterday :)

Found out today that for the second time I've gotten a London Marathon ballot acceptance while pregnant. Will be deferring to 2019, but still - why couldn't I have had that luck before we decided that making small people was a good idea? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

is there anyway to do a one day gentle birth workshop or some sort of meet up does anybody know?I haven't downloaded the app yet but will do so in the next week. I can't justify €375 for the 2 day workshop when I have all the baby stuff to buy yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

jadie wrote: »
    is there anyway to do a one day gentle birth workshop or some sort of meet up does anybody know?I haven't downloaded the app yet but will do so in the next week. I can't justify €375 for the 2 day workshop when I have all the baby stuff to buy yet

They all seem to be two day courses and yes are ridiculously expensive. It's not identical but does your hospital run hypnobirthing classes? Mine has just started them, 4 nights, €50 per couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

They all seem to be two day courses and yes are ridiculously expensive. It's not identical but does your hospital run hypnobirthing classes? Mine has just started them, 4 nights, €50 per couple.
    They don't unfortunately. I'll see if anyplace else is doing them, thanks

I realised I am doing an active birth yoga workshop. The workshop was recommended by my yoga teacher. It's €100 for the half day workshop. Works out at about the same price as the Gentle Birth but think I will go with the yoga workshop over the gentle birth. €350 is just a lot for one thing right now.

Any of the second/third time mums have a list of "needed" stuff for the baby. I have the buggy and car seat. Is a bouncer needed in the first few weeks? Just trying to figure out the basics.

thanks

My toddler was too small for his bouncer until he was around 5 weeks old but he used it frequently until he could sit unaided after that.

Same - we had a kind of rocker thing that we did put him in fairly early on, but that was mainly due to me being too paranoid to leave him on his own while I went in for a shower, so I'd put that in the bathroom with me so I could keep an eye on him when I showered. I wouldn't say a bouncer is essential for a brand newborn.

I'd say what your essentials would be are: buggy, car seat, cot or moses basket, nappy bag, bath or some sort of tub to wash baby, steriliser if you're bottle feeding. Also you'll need a whole pile of nappies and also breast pads for you whether you breast feed or not because of leaky boobs. Oh and a baby monitor.

Maybe I'm biased by having an extremely long kid, but I wouldn't go terribly mad on size 1 nappies. My son was in size 2 by 3 weeks old!

Maybe I'm biased by having an extremely long kid, but I wouldn't go terribly mad on size 1 nappies. My son was in size 2 by 3 weeks old!

We made the typical first-time-parent mistake of changing the child's nappy far too often and went through an entire pack of size 1s before I even left the hospital :o Luckily the district nurse put us right, and probably ended up saving us a small fortune :pac:

• Advertisement

Same - we had a kind of rocker thing that we did put him in fairly early on, but that was mainly due to me being too paranoid to leave him on his own while I went in for a shower, so I'd put that in the bathroom with me so I could keep an eye on him when I showered. I wouldn't say a bouncer is essential for a brand newborn.

I'd say what your essentials would be are: buggy, car seat, cot or moses basket, nappy bag, bath or some sort of tub to wash baby, steriliser if you're bottle feeding. Also you'll need a whole pile of nappies and also breast pads for you whether you breast feed or not because of leaky boobs. Oh and a baby monitor.
    Excellent. Thanks.

RK I am thinking the same. A friend bought lots of baby grows and washed them all and her baby was too big so she donated them. I was a big baby and so was my husband, he's also really tall so won't spend a fortune on new born.

I love the H&M baby clothes. Want to buy them all now. Not knowing if it's a girl or boy is saving me a fortune.

Advertisement