Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 flix

Toots wrote: »
    The place I went to recommends not booking any earlier than 6 weeks. I'd probably go with 7 or 8 myself, they'll have a better chance of detecting the heartbeat. They may still have to do an internal scan - I had one on what my last period date put me at 8 weeks, but I was actually just gone 6 that day. They did an external scan (you need a full bladder for this) then they got me to go and pee and they did the internal one to get the close up measurements.

Ok I don't like the sound of the internal one! I'll leave it as long as I can then I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

flix wrote: »
    Ok I don't like the sound of the internal one! I'll leave it as long as I can then I think.

Popping in from the December thread :) An internal scan sounds worse than it is to be honest. I had scans at 6 weeks (to make sure it wasn't ectopic because I was getting fertility treatment), 8 weeks and 10 week and you definitely see the baby more at 10 weeks.

At 6 weeks it's just a circle with a white dot on it. The nurse said at that stage they call it an engagement ring because it looks like a ring with a diamond. At 8 weeks it's more baby shaped, and at 10 weeks you can really make out the shape. I would say 9-10 weeks is a good time but I know it's a long wait til then!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

They're fine honestly, I was scared before my first one but a smear is 20 times worse. Tiny bit of pressure, no pain at all.

Does anyone have any symptoms yet? I've been tired all week but the exhaustion has really hit today! I feel the odd twinge in my abdomen and my boobs are slightly tender, but that's it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Does anyone have any symptoms yet? I've been tired all week but the exhaustion has really hit today! I feel the odd twinge in my abdomen and my boobs are slightly tender, but that's it so far!
    Mainly tender boobs and exhaustion. I've bad constipation (tmi) and cramps but think the cramps are bloating rather than anything else. Scan next week at 8 weeks. Very excited and nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Very little in the way of symptoms here either, esp compared to my first pregnancy. Exhaustion but I dont even think that is as bad as the first time. Lots of abdominal cramps. Boobs are a teeny tiny bit tender but on my first they were so bad if a breeze even blew on me they were agony. not sure what to make of it. Hoping all is ok. Private early scan booked for July 1 when I will be 8 weeks 2 days.

Have my scan tomorrow and went for a nutritional talk Monday (BMI is over 30 :( ) it was really good. There was a midwife there and she gave some advice, one bit I found really good was to wash your hands BEFORE you go to the toilet to prevent any virus transfer. Excited and nervous for the scan. 4 more weeks until we can tell people, it's so hard to keep it a secret.

How is everyone doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pythonista

Tired and sick... and sick and tired... 7+2 now and it's way harder than last time. Got away quite lightly with my son but the nausea has hit like a brick in about the last week or so. I fell asleep while putting my 15 month old to bed yesterday evening!
    6 days to my early scan, all going well we'll probably tell both sets of parents at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

If the early scan is ok, is that a big indicator everything is ok or is it still a big risk of MC? We have early scan next Wednesday

pythonista wrote: »
    Tired and sick... and sick and tired... 7+2 now and it's way harder than last time. Got away quite lightly with my son but the nausea has hit like a brick in about the last week or so. I fell asleep while putting my 15 month old to bed yesterday evening!
    6 days to my early scan, all going well we'll probably tell both sets of parents at that stage.

I am the opposite this time pythonista. I was so bad with nausea on my first which was a girl. Hit me like a wall. So far I am 7 weeks (past the point it hit me last time as then it was 6 weeks and I was so bad). In the past few days I have had a few queasy moments but nothing I dry cracker didnt sort.

Snap on the early scan ours is in a 9 days, we will also probably tell both sets of parents then too.

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    If the early scan is ok, is that a big indicator everything is ok or is it still a big risk of MC? We have early scan next Wednesday

A bit indicator of a positive outcome is a heartbeat as the risk of MC dramatically drops then. It is not a definite though but then until baby is in your arms nothing is.

Had the early scan, I'm 8+2, and all good. Strong heartbeat :) still hasn't sunk in!

Had the early scan, I'm 8+2, and all good. Strong heartbeat :) still hasn't sunk in!

That's great! I'm 6 weeks and have a scan booked for two weeks time. Can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Parkviewbaby

Hi, had early scan yesterday. I thought I was about 8/9 weeks calculating from last period. Sonographer could see gestation sac and yoke sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat. I have very irregular periods so she thinks I may be a few weeks earlier than I thought. She said not to worry and that it's common not to see fetal pole or hear heartbeat until after 8 weeks. We've to go back in ten days. Can't help worrying though 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FebBaby

Fingers crossed Parkview baby, it's hard not to worry and 10 days seems like such a long wait. Hopefully though there'll be something there at the next apt.

FebBaby wrote: »
    Fingers crossed Parkview baby, it's hard not to worry and 10 days seems like such a long wait. Hopefully though there'll be something there at the next apt.

Thanks FebBaby, I'm still feeling lots of symptoms so trying to stay positive

FebBaby wrote: »

Hopefully there next time. We have early scan tomorrow, hope for her sake we see something

Hopefully there next time. We have early scan tomorrow, hope for her sake we see something

Good luck Bilbot

'Everything is as it should be'. 'We can see a yolk, sac and heartbeat' 'Your chances of going full term are now the same as anyone elses' :)

So happy, can really start believing this now.

Little survivor! Been pushed through needles, frozen and thawed yet there it is, beating away.

'Everything is as it should be'. 'We can see a yolk, sac and heartbeat' 'Your chances of going full term are now the same as anyone elses' :)

So happy, can really start believing this now.

Little survivor! Been pushed through needles, frozen and thawed yet there it is, beating away.

Wonderful news bilbot. Congratulations

• Advertisement

Early scan yesterday - good strong heartbeat and matched up with my dates (measuring 8+1 as expected). Happy out :)

Couldn't resist the urge to order my son an "I'm going to be a big brother" t-shirt as well!

Has anybody else had any spotting? I've just had a tiny amount, really tiny, but red all the same. I've noticed it about once a day over the last few days. Hope it's nothing to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

Can I join please ladies? Due approx 16th feb! Second baby.....first born is only just gone 7 months!
    Flix, regarding the spotting.....check it out with your doctor....better safe than sorry! Could be absolutely nothing (our cervix's can be very delicate at this time) or could be a sign of a low lying placenta, my friend had this and had lots of spotting episodes until she got a bit bigger and the placenta moved up.

Welcome Dizzybee and congratulations! The spotting has stopped now and as it was so minimal I'm going to leave it...if I see it again I'll ring my gp.

Have been really feeling the nausea the last couple of days too, didnt think I'd make it around Tesco without heaving earlier! It doesn't stay too long though, thank god.

Got my letter from the hospital today, my first appointment is 15th August when I'll be 12 weeks. Can't wait for it! Do they do a scan at that stage does anyone know?

Welcome Dizzybee and congratulations! The spotting has stopped now and as it was so minimal I'm going to leave it...if I see it again I'll ring my gp.

Have been really feeling the nausea the last couple of days too, didnt think I'd make it around Tesco without heaving earlier! It doesn't stay too long though, thank god.

Got my letter from the hospital today, my first appointment is 15th August when I'll be 12 weeks. Can't wait for it! Do they do a scan at that stage does anyone know?

Ginger tea is a life saver for the nausea.

I'm doing the midwife led scheme with Holles St and they said they don't do scans at 12 weeks. I get one scan and that's at 20 weeks. Your hospital may be different. I've that booked in already. Booking another private scan at 12 weeks.

Hi Flix,
    I'm with the Rotunda and they do a scan on your first visit in and around 12 weeks

Not in Ireland, but everyone gets a 12 week scan (dating and NT measurement) and 20 week scan (anatomy) here.

pythonista wrote: »
    Not in Ireland, but everyone gets a 12 week scan (dating and NT measurement) and 20 week scan (anatomy) here.

Its crazy that it depends where you live to decide what care you get. Shocking bad.

This thread is very quiet! How is everyone doing?

• Advertisement

This thread is very quiet! How is everyone doing?

Can't wait for week 12 (10 weeks tomorrow) when I can tell people and hopefully the fairly constant nausea is gone.

How are you?

Advertisement