Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due February 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Toots wrote: »
    You don't need the foot muff for the carry cot bit. I'd say us Jan/Feb mums will probably not need one until the Autumn when the babies are sitting up in the buggy seat. I've never really bought anything big in mothercare because when we had my son they were one of the more expensive places. I think their prices might have come down a bit since then. Tony Kealys are good, and we've also gotten a few of the big bits from Bella Baby in Dundrum - they're not the cheapest day-to-day, but they often have special offers which are good.
    I've heard good things about Tony Kealys. I'll just keep an eye out. At least I don't need the foot muff for a while.
    lashes34 wrote: »
    Im getting the vista too, guessing I wont need a footmuff til winter 18 as they'll be in the carrycot part this winter, Im due in December.
    Good to know someone else is getting it. 4 friends have it and I've heard good things. I read there is no perfect travel system. It's depends on what you want.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm getting the Vista too, can't wait to collect it (and obviously can't wait to put the sprog in it!)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I need a double as my son will be 22.5 months when the little one arrives and has only just started walking independently. Totally undecided as to what we'll get. I wouldn't mind an Out n About Nipper double but side by side double buggies are awkward here.

All the uppababy vista babies here :) I am so relieved that I have the buggy picked. I was very overwhelmed.

I have mild spd but it's very uncomfortable today. I'm going to an osteopath for migraines and thankfully he's an expert in spd so he's been treating it but today is not good and I work with all men! Have my hot water bottle thankfully :)

I'm 19 weeks tomorrow. The time is flying!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had it last time around and praying I don't get it this time. The physio reckoned it was made much worse by the fact that I worked as a bank teller at the time and basically had to sit on a bar stool behind a counter for 8 hours. My wagon of a supervisor wouldn't let me move to a different area of the office. 20 weeks now, and so far so good, although I've noticed that if I lie on one side too long during the night, the seams on my PJs and undies kinda irritate my hips, so I reckon that could be something starting.

My physio gave me this support belt thing last time around and it was a godsend, so if you're in bad pain do ask about getting one.

• Advertisement

I had it last time around and praying I don't get it this time. The physio reckoned it was made much worse by the fact that I worked as a bank teller at the time and basically had to sit on a bar stool behind a counter for 8 hours. My wagon of a supervisor wouldn't let me move to a different area of the office. 20 weeks now, and so far so good, although I've noticed that if I lie on one side too long during the night, the seams on my PJs and undies kinda irritate my hips, so I reckon that could be something starting.

My physio gave me this support belt thing last time around and it was a godsend, so if you're in bad pain do ask about getting one.
    Thanks. It's a little unnerving as well because it's such an intimate area. I know baby is grand thankfully!

I'd seen those belts so will check it out. Bed rest would drive me (and family) batty.

Fingers crossed for all of us.

Luckily I didn't get as bad as needing bed rest - I was signed off work at 28 weeks because they wouldn't move me off the high stool yokes, so I noticed a difference then alright. A girl I know ended up on crutches from it, although I reckon I'd be a danger to myself and others on crutches :o

If I remember rightly, mine eased off at about 38 weeks because the baby's head was engaged so there was less instability in my pelvis.

Luckily I didn't get as bad as needing bed rest - I was signed off work at 28 weeks because they wouldn't move me off the high stool yokes, so I noticed a difference then alright. A girl I know ended up on crutches from it, although I reckon I'd be a danger to myself and others on crutches :o

If I remember rightly, mine eased off at about 38 weeks because the baby's head was engaged so there was less instability in my pelvis.
    That makes no sense that they didn't just move you. Thankfully it's not as bad today and seeing the osteopath on Thursday. Hoping it stays eased. Think I'll get one of those pillows at the weekend. Need to get a few items of clothes.

I'm going to the mothercare expectant mother event on 1 October, are they any good? Is it 10% off everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I'm going to the mothercare expectant mother event on 1 October, are they any good? Is it 10% off everything?

I went to one a few weeks ago. The car sea talk was very good. The midwife was terrible. And nothing much else. I thought just for the detail and info about car seats was worth it.

The 10% was for 5 or 7 days only and not on any sale items. All we wanted was on sale and at better discounts than 10% so we didn't use our voucher in the end.

The promo stuff said more would be included in the event than they covered so it might be better elsewhere. I would've liked more on the nursery & safety, feeding and they didn't touch on toys and play for new babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

we went for the Uppababy Vista too! Got the 2016 model on Amazon with about €300 off. It's absolutely beautiful! I am so glad we got it and when I see other buggies I'm still delighted with ours. It's really sturdy looking but comfy too. The handle is perfect to adjust between myself (at 4'11") and my husband (at 6'2") and it's easily rests a changing bag across the bar. The shopping bag space at the bottom is huge!

It's also great that the carry cot is approved for overnight sleeping, so in the first few months it'll come in handy.

Only downside is it doesn't come with a coffee cup holder haha it's an extra €25 but I'm hoping in the November & January sales we might get one at a better price. Gonna keep an eye out for the snack tray and footmuff at sale price too.

Snack tray is completely unnecessary so I wouldn't bother. Buggy would get manly too

• Advertisement

Snack tray is completely unnecessary so I wouldn't bother. Buggy would get manly too

Good point. I'm already dreading the extra cleaning & laundry :)

Good point. I'm already dreading the extra cleaning & laundry :)

One of the reasons I'm using disposable nappies!

So tired this week. Work is busy and I'm pure emotional too. Sleeping this weekend.

Knackered this week as well and if the middle aged male suitwankers on my train to work don't start coughing up seats rather than staring at my bump I'm going to explode at one some day. Newsflash people, there is a pregnant woman on the priority seat sign, not a bloke in work clothes.

At least I have a week off coming up, we're going to France with the small fella on the 30th and taking him to Disneyland while we're there :) He won't remember it really at 18 months but feck it.

Knackered this week as well and if the middle aged male suitwankers on my train to work don't start coughing up seats rather than staring at my bump I'm going to explode at one some day. Newsflash people, there is a pregnant woman on the priority seat sign, not a bloke in work clothes.

At least I have a week off coming up, we're going to France with the small fella on the 30th and taking him to Disneyland while we're there :) He won't remember it really at 18 months but feck it.

What really bothers me is they look, clock the bump, look away and pretend they never saw anything. Thankfully I get on early enough so tend to find a seat.

That sounds lovely. Enjoy!

I thought the exhaustion would disappear and the second semester would see my energy back & puking stopped. No such luck! I'm waking up so much during the night to pee and each time have to drink cause I'm parched. So I'm drinking a litre of water at night.... I'm trying to convince myself that waking up is a good thing as it's training for the new baby ;)

All good with my blood tests by some miracle as I'm eating very little.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I need a double as my son will be 22.5 months when the little one arrives and has only just started walking independently. Totally undecided as to what we'll get. I wouldn't mind an Out n About Nipper double but side by side double buggies are awkward here.

Saw your post and said I'd reply.....we havve a 21 mth gap, and Uppababy and an out and about 🙂Uppababy is really handy for the baby stage.I didn't use the pram though, just got an infant insert and laid buggy seat flat.BUT.....bigger child has to go in the front seat at that age and it is an absolute tank to maneouvre with the two in it, it's heavy and tough to steer.And taking it in and out of the car boot did my head in, there were so many adaptors to attach and undo for the two seats.I LOVE my Uppababy but I reached breaking point at five months and got a really good second-hand Out and About nipper double on donedeal.Won't fit in the boot of my car (despite my measuring), but is suberb to push and a fantastic onefold system.It's a lovely buggy to use.It feels wide but it's actually very neat, fits almost everywhere.My minder now has it, and we are having some trouble with punctures but other than that, it's a great buggy.The Uppababy stayed with us, it's nice to have options!!!
    A buggy board is also an indispensable item to have.Lascal ones fits most buggies.Definitely worth getting as no.1 heads towards two years, just for short walks.

Went into mothercare today today to get maternity jeans and a pillow for between my legs. Looked at the buggy again, had to order it. The colour I want it on 3 a month order due to high demand. MENTAL.

Also I got the clevamama mum 2 me pillow sleep pod. Looked and thought great you can pull the middle out and use the founder pillow for now. The middle bit (bit the baby would lie on) doesn't come fully out so when in bed would lie on it. Not what I thought so bringing it back tomorrow! The pictures are not accurate in my opinion.

Went into mothercare today today to get maternity jeans and a pillow for between my legs. Looked at the buggy again, had to order it. The colour I want it on 3 a month order due to high demand. MENTAL.

Also I got the clevamama mum 2 me pillow sleep pod. Looked and thought great you can pull the middle out and use the founder pillow for now. The middle bit (bit the baby would lie on) doesn't come fully out so when in bed would lie on it. Not what I thought so bringing it back tomorrow! The pictures are not accurate in my opinion.

I bought the Dreamgenii Pregnancy & Feeding support pillow & love it. Definitely helps me feel more comfortable at night. I'm petite so my bump showed early & big - already getting asked if it's twins! This pillow is great to support and cushion the bump.

What colour did you order? They are such lovely buggies! I got the Jake (black) but I think the range have gorgeous options.

I'm thinking of going with the KIDDY Evoluna car seat. I've been looking a lot into the lie-flat option and issue of baby in car seat too long. I didn't know you shouldn't have them in infant seat more than an hour & a half and the risks to breathing & spine. I feel safer with a seat that has the option to lie flat but is also a proper rear facing infant seat. They've some lovely colours & it's compatible with Uppababy --- basically I'm sold on it but holding off to see if the Thanks Giving sales have good discounts.

I bought the Dreamgenii Pregnancy & Feeding support pillow & love it. Definitely helps me feel more comfortable at night. I'm petite so my bump showed early & big - already getting asked if it's twins! This pillow is great to support and cushion the bump.

What colour did you order? They are such lovely buggies! I got the Jake (black) but I think the range have gorgeous options.

I'm thinking of going with the KIDDY Evoluna car seat. I've been looking a lot into the lie-flat option and issue of baby in car seat too long. I didn't know you shouldn't have them in infant seat more than an hour & a half and the risks to breathing & spine. I feel safer with a seat that has the option to lie flat but is also a proper rear facing infant seat. They've some lovely colours & it's compatible with Uppababy --- basically I'm sold on it but holding off to see if the Thanks Giving sales have good discounts.

I was looking at that one too. Right now money is no option, I was awake until 2 because I was very nauseous (may have been a migraine) and got very sick at 2, slept from about 3-8. I'm only 20 weeks, need sleep so will buy anything. I'll keep the clevamama sleep pod because I think when bigger it will work and it's good for the baby.

Went with the Henry, by the sounds of it so did everyone else :D getting the pebble out to plus maxi cosi car seat. Explain the car seat you are looking at? If I want to get home to where I'm from it's 2.5 hours on the car. Is that too much for baby?

I can't remember what the exact guidelines were on how long baby should spend in the car seat at a time, but if you stopped for a toilet break and a cuppa halfway and took the baba out of the seat for about 20 mins you should be ok. We had to go from Dublin to Belfast when my son was very small and the PHN said if we stopped halfway and took him out of the seat for a bit he'd be grand. Turned out he was out of the seat for about an hour because if he went back into the seat too soon after a feed he'd just puke it all back up again! So we kept him out for another half hour just in case.

I heard the Henry had a longer wait time alright, it's a gorgeous colour! We went for the Dennison (wine colour) in the end - we let my little boy choose the colour. I'm surprised he didn't go for the Austin because green is his favourite colour. Also slightly relieved because the Austin was something like 300 dearer!

• Advertisement

I can't remember what the exact guidelines were on how long baby should spend in the car seat at a time, but if you stopped for a toilet break and a cuppa halfway and took the baba out of the seat for about 20 mins you should be ok. We had to go from Dublin to Belfast when my son was very small and the PHN said if we stopped halfway and took him out of the seat for a bit he'd be grand. Turned out he was out of the seat for about an hour because if he went back into the seat too soon after a feed he'd just puke it all back up again! So we kept him out for another half hour just in case.

I heard the Henry had a longer wait time alright, it's a gorgeous colour! We went for the Dennison (wine colour) in the end - we let my little boy choose the colour. I'm surprised he didn't go for the Austin because green is his favourite colour. Also slightly relieved because the Austin was something like 300 dearer!
    Looked at that car seat and the looks good and same price as maxi cosi so will do more research.

The Henry's is also more expensive (120 not 300 thankfully) but sure that's typical with me :pac: the wine is lovely too and thankfully he didn't pick the green one so!

Probably getting the Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix - one of the longest shells on the market and with one very long baby already (not even 18 months and we need 2-3 for length!) we need to assume #2 will be tall too.

Need to drag hubby to John Lewis for a good look at buggies soon!

From 1hr 30 mins to max 2 hrs but I think more of what I read suggested the 1.5hr max. Then as previous poster says, stop and take baby out for 20 minutes of a break. Same if you are out and about using car seat in travel system.

With lie flat seats there is no time limit and the shape is better for baby's spine and breathing. Some lie flat dont come in rear facing. Rear facing do better in safety crash testing. But the KIDDY Evoluna is an i-size seat that is rear facing and has an option to use the lie flat position too. I-size seats are rear facing and for babies right from birth to 15 months.

Maxi Pebble Plus is i-size too but doesn't have the lie flat feature. That was had me going for KIDDY over the Pebble Plus.

Second stomach bug this pregnancy. Down with this sort of thing :mad: Didn't even want to take time off work because I've a metric ****-ton of appointments next week - 20 week scan on Monday, midwife on Wednesday, whooping cough vaccination on Friday and my 2-yearly work medical on Tuesday!

Second stomach bug this pregnancy. Down with this sort of thing :mad: Didn't even want to take time off work because I've a metric ****-ton of appointments next week - 20 week scan on Monday, midwife on Wednesday, whooping cough vaccination on Friday and my 2-yearly work medical on Tuesday!

Find patient zero and destroy them! That sucks. Having a bug on top of all the pregnancy symptoms. Hope it passes quickly. Take it easy when you can x

I was curious about school waiting lists so I emailed one school to ask how early they take applications. I was advised as soon as possible and they already have a name down for 2022!

Wow; and I'm in Limerick, not Dublin. So we've a to-do task already for as soon as we've the birth cert! :D haha

A friend of mine from college put her baby's name down for their local Educate Together school (in Dublin admittedly) on the way home from hospital. It's mental really. I prefer the British way of doing it - apply to the local council at age 3.

A friend of mine from college put her baby's name down for their local Educate Together school (in Dublin admittedly) on the way home from hospital. It's mental really. I prefer the British way of doing it - apply to the local council at age 3.

For this school you need birth certificate so I'll have a bit of recovery time :D

I wouldn't mind that policy (from 3yrs old) if we had more choice for schools. Limerick City & County has only about 2 multidenominational and 2 Church of Ireland and all other schools are Catholic. So we've really very limited options; and in over-subscribed schools preference is given to children of that school's faith.

It's not an issue for lots of family (something like 80% of citizens on the Census form marked a religion), but for us as non-Catholics we've very few options.

Yeah, the schools situation makes me never want to move back to Ireland. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the thought of my kids in RC schools and all the ET ones in pretty much any area we would want to live in are desperately oversubscribed.

Institutional Ireland really needs to change. ASAP.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the schools situation makes me never want to move back to Ireland. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the thought of my kids in RC schools and all the ET ones in pretty much any area we would want to live in are desperately oversubscribed.

Institutional Ireland really needs to change. ASAP.

Yeah I was pretty worried but I'm quite certain we'll get a place with me being ridiculously early applying haha

In Dublin parents who home school have regular meet ups for the kids & they do field trips together. But the patience you'd need! I couldn't do it.

Ah well for now just got to kick back enough the growing bump :)

Advertisement