Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

its_phil wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    Not his careeer. The end of the stubcorn scornful stance toward other FB like "the best option at his position"

He seems to be this Automn. Nobody can be that sure he'll be next Autumn.
    Maybe. But the problem is how certain some are he'll be 1st choice in 2018, or worse in 2019

The only stubborn scornful stance around here is the one you’ve pushed around here and contributed to this thread becoming unbearable the last 4 weeks

You're wrong, I didn't say anything for 10 days about him except a praise.

I won't be censored. Kearney shouldn't make it to RWC IMO. Some think he should, fine. The issue is when 90% are certain he will

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How in the **** is this still being brought up.

What have I done to deserve this.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Your logic is flawed. It seems to suggest that Kearney's selection is wrong, despite your mealy-mouthed admission that it was right this Autumn. And from that shaky foundation you go on to predict that it will be wrong in a year's time when you can't even tell that this will happen.  
    It's not a contradiction.
    1) Kearney was better than expected FOR NOW and for 2 games
    2) Still think Schmidt  were wrong because he barred more gametime for more reasonable options for RWC

But your premise is diferent :
    1) experience is needed to build a squad
    2) form is needed now because RWC is not the ultimate goal
    3) In the end, most of you, admiting it or not, are convinced R.K will make it to Japan

Different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How in the **** is this still being brought up.

What have I done to deserve this.

You bought a leinster season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Really?
    If he does, I won't anyway
    freedom of speech and love of the truth : TOH is and should be ahead of Kearney/Byrne, maybe Conway
    Expected for Dillane to be dropped.
    Very upset to see Conway/Kearney not only selected in the squad but starting
    Keane was right Bundee is playing 12 with Henshaw outside him. Good old times are back :)
    I don't think Kearney will make it to RWC. I don't think he deserves a go after a long injury. I don't think he's the best FB in Ireland. I don't think he's good enough since last RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not his careeer. The end of the stubcorn scornful stance toward other FB like "the best option at his position"

He seems to be this Automn. Nobody can be that sure he'll be next Autumn.
    Maybe. But the problem is how certain some are he'll be 1st choice in 2018, or worse in 2019

Nobody knows he will be 1st choice in 2018 or 2019. If he is then that says more about other players inability to usurp him. Liam Toland had a very good column in the IT yesterday which mentionned some of the things that Kearney brings which Joe wants.

You seem unable to understand the concept of building a squad. Just because a player is picked now doesnt mean he is picked with RWC 2019 in mind. Joe was not shy in dropping Mike Ross or Gordon D'Arcy for example. Cornerstones of teams he coached to European cups and 6n titles. Joe has shown he will make those decisions when he has to.

Guys like Stockdale, Conway, Farrell, Aki, Sweetnam, Byrne will benefit hugely from the AIs. They will need time to grow into the squad. Henshaw for example was one of 10 players with 12 caps or less who were brought to RWC 2015 (original squad and call ups mid tournament). Some of the newer guys in the back line will have 10-20 caps by the time that squad is named in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m not an emotional individual but some of you are going to make me cry. Just think about that folks. Think about it. It’s not too late though. You can save me from this miserable fate. You know what to do.

Or what not to do.........

Really?
    If he does, I won't anyway
    freedom of speech and love of the truth : TOH is and should be ahead of Kearney/Byrne, maybe Conway
    Expected for Dillane to be dropped.
    Very upset to see Conway/Kearney not only selected in the squad but starting
    Keane was right Bundee is playing 12 with Henshaw outside him. Good old times are back :)
    I don't think Kearney will make it to RWC. I don't think he deserves a go after a long injury. I don't think he's the best FB in Ireland. I don't think he's good enough since last RWC.
    Yeah 10 days ago. 9 maybe. Before Argentina.
    Whatever, you have both opinions on my post above.
    Enough said, no need for "3 more weeks" :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’m not an emotional individual but some of you are going to make me cry. Just think about that folks. Think about it. It’s not too late though. You can save me from this miserable fate. You know what to do.

You need a bacon and avocado sammich

Here's a thread, just for you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057815773

Now take your freedom of speech here and leave us alone.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

You need a bacon and avocado sammich

I hadn’t thought of that, but you know what.....you’re absolutely right. I’ll be back in 10. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Garry Ringrose back today for those who haven't seen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

george hook was the inspiration for eddie o sullivan and the majority of the early pros. we owe the slam to hook.
    FACT.
    FUCT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Won't work, post isn't titled "...and I want everyone to read about it whether they like it or not"

MJohnston wrote: »
    Won't work, post isn't titled "...and I want everyone to read about it whether they like it or not"

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

2) Still think Schmidt  were wrong because he barred more gametime for more reasonable options for RWC

No he hasnt. We had a pile of players throughout the squad who gained huge amount from the 3 games and 4 weeks in camp

Kilcoyne, Herring, Porter, James Ryan, Aki, Farrell, Sweetnam, Conway, Stockdale, Byrne. And a lot of the gains wont be made in the 3 games.

You are equating gametime to squad building. It doesn't work that way.

I've just said opinions have been clarified. Enough saud until January and Schmidt new squad.
    You can sleep quiet and dream about POM/Stander move to France... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Your logic is flawed. It seems to suggest that Kearney's selection is wrong, despite your mealy-mouthed admission that it was right this Autumn. And from that shaky foundation you go on to predict that it will be wrong in a year's time when you can't even tell that this will happen.

Joe Schmidt's selection of Kearney this Autumn was vindicated in his performance. He also selected Conway, who also vindicated his selection. Despite your insistence beforehand that Kearney was not up to it, he proved you wrong. But you continue to push this opinion as the correct one.

That's called flogging a dead horse.

This discussion is not about Kearney though. It's about TOH. connachta flogs this horse in the utterly mistaken belief that if only Joe would see sense and drop Kearney, TOH would be picked. It's nonsense.

Connachta; Kearney isn't keeping TOH out of the squad, neither is Conway. The only person keeping TOH out of the squad is TOH. He's not good enough.

I've just said opinions have been clarified. Enough saud until January and Schmidt new squad.
    You can sleep quiet and dream about POM/Stander move to France... :P
    Meow :D

Joe Schmidt's selection of Kearney this Autumn was vindicated in his performance. He also selected Conway, who also vindicated his selection. Despite your insistence beforehand that Kearney was not up to it, he proved you wrong. But you continue to push this opinion as the correct one.

That's called flogging a dead horse.

This discussion is not about Kearney though. It's about TOH. connachta flogs this horse in the utterly mistaken belief that if only Joe would see sense and drop Kearney, TOH would be picked. It's nonsense.

Connachta; Kearney isn't keeping TOH out of the squad, neither is Conway. The only person keeping TOH out of the squad is TOH. He's not good enough.
    No. 100 times no.
    I don't care if it's Stockdale, Conway Sweetnam or TOH who's picked ahead of Kearney in 2019

• Advertisement

I think Thomond needs to make reference to TOH in that thread title too. Maybe then.....maybe.....

tenor.gif

I think Thomond needs to make reference to TOH in that thread title too. Maybe then.....maybe.....

tenor.gif

Fixed v2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

jacothelad wrote: »
    FUCT

deal with it or boom you choose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

i often hear that schmidt thinks the world cup is small fry, its the 6 nations that we need to perform in.
    aloooof wrote: »
    From who?

I'm still waiting for an answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He's probably twisting this genuine Joe quote for his own purposes:
    I think the Six Nations is a phenomenal tournament, and I would pay the utmost respect to that competition. The World Cup is really Johnny-come-lately in regard to that. The Six Nations is our tournament.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for an answer to this.

see post 5486, i couldnt do it better.
    facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ie the same thing every Irish coach has been saying since the dawn of professionalism.

The 6N pays the bills. No way round that.

I think the Six Nations is a phenomenal tournament, and I would pay the utmost respect to that competition. The World Cup is really Johnny-come-lately in regard to that. The Six Nations is our tournament.
    Wow, that's a big deal to swallow.
    It's like prefering the Euro competition to the World Cup in football
    Financial reason maybe but awful reading.
    I'm watching rugby to see proper games vs Samoa/N-Z not only butchery-style vs Italy/France

Wow, that's a big deal to swallow.
    It's like prefering the Euro competition to the World Cup in football
    Financial reason maybe but awful reading.
    I'm watching rugby to see proper games vs Samoa/N-Z not only butchery-style vs Italy/France
    He's not saying anything new. The RWC is barely thirty years old, the six, five, home nations has been running for over a century. That's pretty much a johnny-cime-lately in any assessment.

It's not a bit like comparing the European Cup to the World Cup in soccer. The FIFA World Cup has been running for thirty years longer than the European Cup.

Unless you're talking about the Champions League, which has been running slightly longer than the Euros.

And there are a lot of crap games in the RWC. Ritual spankings for the likes of USA, Namibia, Canada, Russia etc.

• Advertisement

the 6 nations - ireland britain france italy
    the world cup - the world

reality check please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement