Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

schmidt is not building for japan, he stated this himself many times.
    i believe it when he says he takes each tournament, test and tour on their own merits.
    if you look at the age profile of the squad, many of the key players will be in their mid thirties by the time japan starts and that age profile will unfortunately be a serious potential problem.
    Ireland have a better chance of winning six nations and so should fully concentrate on that.
    Aim for a WC quarter which is very possible and anything else is a bonus.
    Our player pool is just not good enough to go about it any other way - that is the lesson schmidt took from the 2015 world cup.

Interestingly NZ had 11 players over the age of 30 in their squad in 2015.

Experienced teams tend to win world cups, not a bunch of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bilston wrote: »
    Interestingly NZ had 11 players over the age of 30 in their squad in 2015.

Experienced teams tend to win world cups, not a bunch of kids.

He did specify "key players". I think we can all agree that McCaw, Read, Kaino, Carter, C. Smith and Nonu weren't key players. Seriously, what would players with their experience add to a World Cup squad? Imagine how good that AB team would have been if they'd selected players who were in form.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    He did specify "key players". I think we can all agree that McCaw, Read, Kaino, Carter, C. Smith and Nonu weren't key players. Seriously, what would players with their experience add to a World Cup squad? Imagine how good that AB team would have been if they'd selected players who were in form.

Maybe it's because I'm in my mid 30s myself now but it winds me up. Age is just a fecking number. If you're the best player for the job then it doesn't matter if you're 25 or 35. Sure it gets harder, but I can honestly say that as someone who still turns out every now and then at a very social level I know a hell of a lot more about the game of rugby now than I did 10 years ago.

You throw away experience at your peril.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Going back to Heaslip and Payne I'd hate for them to retire without a send off

I was in the Aviva for PICs send off and it was lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stheno wrote: »
    Going back to Heaslip and Payne I'd hate for them to retire without a send off

I was in the Aviva for PICs send off and it was lovely

Id be especially gutted for Heaslip not hitting 100 caps for ireland. Every success Leinster and Ireland have had in last 10 years he has been central to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Id be especially gutted for Heaslip not hitting 100 caps for ireland. Every success Leinster and Ireland have had in last 10 years he has been central to it.

BOD was the OTB podcast a week or two ago, and one of the things he talked about was the Centurion Dinner he had attended. Jamie was at it, because he has a hundred caps including the Lions. The presenter joked that he had only just made it, and BOD sort of dismissed it out of hand and said he'd get a few more. Assuming BOD had been talking to Jamie at the dinner, then Jamie must have been confident he'd be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

errlloyd wrote: »
    BOD was the OTB podcast a week or two ago, and one of the things he talked about was the Centurion Dinner he had attended. Jamie was at it, because he has a hundred caps including the Lions. The presenter joked that he had only just made it, and BOD sort of dismissed it out of hand and said he'd get a few more. Assuming BOD had been talking to Jamie at the dinner, then Jamie must have been confident he'd be back.
    Even if he retired today, it'd be with some record. Apart from the 100 international caps, he has 3 European Cup medals, 3 Pro 12 medals, a Challenge Cup medal and 3 six nations medals.

Not many players can boast that kind of tally.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Even if he retired today, it'd be with some record. Apart from the 100 international caps, he has 3 European Cup medals, 3 Pro 12 medals, a Challenge Cup medal and 3 six nations medals.

Yeah but headphones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

prawnsambo wrote: »

But what's he done for me lately

• Advertisement

But what's he done for me lately
    Well his injury has kept him out of pointless pages of posts on the Ireland thread. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Closed pending review.

So a back three containing Stockdale and Larmour for the WC then???

Hmmmm, that's potentially devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The thread has just opened again

What have you done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

What have you done

What age will Dave Kearney be come the next WC?

What have you done

It's Christmas...everyone will be nice to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

What have you done

It's Christmas...everyone will be nice to each other!
    All-right
    2014-12-18_spo_5488419_I1.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

74 hours from awec opening the thread to the first post.

I wondered how long it would take.

Now that's someone is posting does anyone have a list of players at the Irish camp last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

See France have sacked Noves already, replaced him with Jacques Brunel. I'd say it's a positive for us, but I don't know if we need France to be even more unpredictable than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

MJohnston wrote: »
    See France have sacked Noves already, replaced him with Jacques Brunel. I'd say it's a positive for us, but I don't know if we need France to be even more unpredictable than usual.

They can only get better imo. Can't remember an international coach of a 6N side ever losing their job at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

MJohnston wrote: »

I thought noves was hopeless. His teams never seemed to have any discernible shape or game plan. They potentially have a top 5 team, some really good talent on offer but you can’t just win based on talent alone at the higher levels.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I thought noves was hopeless. His teams never seemed to have any discernible shape or game plan. They potentially have a top 5 team, some really good talent on offer but you can’t just win based on talent alone at the higher levels.

I think they could yet be top 5

in the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »

Potentially top 5... in the 6 Nations!n:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think they could yet be top 5

in the 6 nations
    Potentially top 5... in the 6 Nations!n:D

You guys. :D

They need a kiwi coach tbh. I can respect them wanting to stick with a French one but they're falling behind of modern rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

They need a kiwi coach tbh. I can respect them wanting to stick with a French one but they're falling behind of modern rugby.

They won't hire a non French fluent coach so that may be that catch

nerd69 wrote: »
    They won't hire a non French fluent coach so that may be that catch
    Vern Cotter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Worcester press conference
    "Peter Stringer’s contract has come to an end and he has left the Club to return to Ireland."
    Right on time for RWC squad at 41 y.o and 10 months :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’d sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

connachta wrote: »
    Worcester press conference
    "Peter Stringer’s contract has come to an end and he has left the Club to return to Ireland."
    Right on time for RWC squad at 41 y.o and 10 months :D

Get him to leinster and we can pick lowe in europe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement