Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stop

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone else trying to renew their Irish Rugby supporters club membership? Website is rubbish, and I can't log in with Chrome......got there eventually with Explorer.....which I haven't used for years.

You're still a member!? I gave that up years ago after being a member for over a decade and being rewarded with a crap scarf, a childs sized hat and early access to the worst seats in the Aviva. "Thanks for your support sir, but we're not giving you dick all for it".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    You're still a member!? I gave that up years ago after being a member for over a decade and being rewarded with a crap scarf, a childs sized hat and early access to the worst seats in the Aviva. "Thanks for your support sir, but we're not giving you dick all for it".

Total money racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Liam toland article in IT is worth a read. Cant link to it but its on IT facebook page anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Liam toland article in IT is worth a read. Cant link to it but its on IT facebook page anyway

The editing in the IT sports section is going down the tubes.
    that could have given Adam Byrne an opening for a try against South Africa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i read the bod says rules should only be bent for furlong, sexton and murray.
    that is the nonsense that will keep those three but lose the other 12.
    creating an atmosphere in the ireland squad of the haves and the have nots, will only lead to envy and bitterness that will flow right through irish rugby.

the most important question in light of the zebo affair is,
    should only players contracted up until the world cup play in the coming 6 nations?
    true they have not signed for a foreign club but they have not committed to ireland either.
    if the answer is yes why not allow zebo to play?
    i often hear that schmidt thinks the world cup is small fry, its the 6 nations that we need to perform in. by that logic zebo should be picked to ensure we do just that in 2018. Then he can be sent to coventry.

the zebo affair, as i call it, has the potential to end schmidts reign. if more players leave and some are selected and others not schmidt will for the first time in his irish career come under real and intense scrutiny. the irfu board will feel the heat too, to add to some bizarre facts about the world cup bid.
    sexton being allowed to go to paris and continue to be picked is the worst decision schmidt and the irfu ever made and will come back to haunt all involved except sexton who is blameless.

count dookoo disagreeing with something to do with the national team. I am just so so surprised.

You know BOD doesn't speak for Schmidt or the IRFU and has absolutely nothing to do with the administration of Irish rugby or selection for the Irish national team, right?

the zebo affair, as i call it, has the potential to end schmidts reign.

Bahahahahaha. Good one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

i often hear that schmidt thinks the world cup is small fry, its the 6 nations that we need to perform in.

From who?

Bahahahahaha. Good one.

Quotes, but I reckon Joe could have an actual affair with Zebo and they still wouldn't even consider replacing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

i read the bod says rules should only be bent for furlong, sexton and murray.
    that is the nonsense that will keep those three but lose the other 12.
    creating an atmosphere in the ireland squad of the haves and the have nots, will only lead to envy and bitterness that will flow right through irish rugby.

the most important question in light of the zebo affair is,
    should only players contracted up until the world cup play in the coming 6 nations?
    true they have not signed for a foreign club but they have not committed to ireland either.
    if the answer is yes why not allow zebo to play?
    i often hear that schmidt thinks the world cup is small fry, its the 6 nations that we need to perform in. by that logic zebo should be picked to ensure we do just that in 2018. Then he can be sent to coventry.

the zebo affair, as i call it, has the potential to end schmidts reign. if more players leave and some are selected and others not schmidt will for the first time in his irish career come under real and intense scrutiny. the irfu board will feel the heat too, to add to some bizarre facts about the world cup bid.
    sexton being allowed to go to paris and continue to be picked is the worst decision schmidt and the irfu ever made and will come back to haunt all involved except sexton who is blameless.

kapsula.png

Is there anything to be gained from this conversation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm gaining a headache, if that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah but I want to know what you think of Rob Kearney?

Teferi wrote: »
    Yeah but I want to know what you think of Rob Kearney?

He's a total dish. Obvs. But he's no Jordan Larmour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In fairness to Schmidt the decision predated him and was made by Kidney and the IRFU board that made firm commitments that if Sexton ensured he was available for all camps he would be considered on the same basis as an Irish based player. Schmidt came in inheriting that agreement and it would have been unfair to change the rules after the fact.

Especially since Johnny was on a lower salary in Racing than he would have been if he didn't include the clause that he would be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Count Dookoo is George Hook and I claim my free Eamon Dunphy pyjamas.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Count Dookoo is George Hook and I claim my free Eamon Dunphy pyjamas.

Not a bad shout. The IT had a quite amazing quote from Hook in an article the other day, only last year he claimed Schmidt may be the worst coach/selector in Irish history.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not a bad shout. The IT had a quite amazing quote from Hook in an article the other day, only last year he claimed Schmidt may be the worst coach/selector in Irish history.

Sure he managed to lose the Leinster dressing room after only 4 games in charge. He must be an awful coach altogether.

Hook does not like Schmidt at all but for hilariously graceless reasons.

Hook got things very wrong on Schmidt twice - the 4 match dressing room thing and the sending a team out to lose against South Africa thing.

He got lambasted for both of these opinions and rather than accepting that he was miles wide of the mark, he instead decided to have a massive chip on his shoulder regarding Schmidt moving forward.

Schmidt has probably barely ever spoken to the guy, but Hooks disdain couldn't be more evident. The absolute massive child that he is.

On a more sombre note, Hook attacks cyclists on national TV *again* and calls them nazi's and within a week we've two more dead cyclists on the side of the road. I wonder has he lost any sleep over that.

• Advertisement

Well it's classic Hook isn't it, he just doubles down on everything. Mercifully we're not subjected to his nonsense via any medium at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hook does not like Schmidt at all but for hilariously graceless reasons.

Hook got things very wrong on Schmidt twice - the 4 match dressing room thing and the sending a team out to lose against South Africa thing.

He got lambasted for both of these opinions and rather than accepting that he was miles wide of the mark, he instead decided to have a massive chip on his shoulder regarding Schmidt moving forward.

Schmidt has probably barely ever spoken to the guy, but Hooks disdain couldn't be more evident. The absolute massive child that he is.

On a more sombre note, Hook attacks cyclists on national TV *again* and calls them nazi's and within a week we've two more dead cyclists on the side of the road. I wonder has he lost any sleep over that.

I would be shocked if those were the only things Hook got wrong. I also remember him advocating BOD switch to flanker. Don't think anyone even bothered debating him on it they just laughed.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I would be shocked if those were the only things Hook got wrong.

Far from it, but they are the two big ones where his co pundits and others really went after him.

He had the same vendetta against Sexton. He once vehemently went to bat for ROG in a game that Sexton ended up getting man of the match for. Few years later he tries to sue Sexton.

Anyway, not gonna waste more thread space on him. His legacy will be well defined at this stage and he won't be remembered kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

When Schmidt had a go at Hook after the "second rate foreign players" comment, it was glorious.

He showed Hook to be the total joke that he is

When Schmidt had a go at Hook after the "second rate foreign players" comment, it was glorious.

He showed Hook to be the total joke that he is

What was this now?

What was this now?

Hook had a particularly uncalled for go at Payne after a game against Wales and Schmidt at the time said it was disappointing to hear some of the criticisms of Payne but that sometimes you have people commenting from an entertainment perspective instead of actually watching the rugby and analysing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What was this now?

Hook had a go at Schmidt for picking "second-rate foreign players" (Payne) and Schmidt called him out on it. Not sure it was glorious tbh.

(also, for those who thought only Aki got stick, see above)

In fairness to Schmidt the decision predated him and was made by Kidney and the IRFU board that made firm commitments that if Sexton ensured he was available for all camps he would be considered on the same basis as an Irish based player. Schmidt came in inheriting that agreement and it would have been unfair to change the rules after the fact.

Especially since Johnny was on a lower salary in Racing than he would have been if he didn't include the clause that he would be available.

who took the decision on zebo -the irfu or schmidt?
    i think it will be interesting to see what the decision maker would do if murray or furlong left.
    i think we would call it a serious ethical conundrum.

racing would have negotiated sextons contract not a bother if he was excluded from ireland, jesus the guy would probably be still there cashing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RTE have retained the rights to Ireland's Autumn Internationals for the next 4 years.

I presume these are Irish rights. So from a NI POV we shall wait and see if the UK rights stay with Sky. If Sky don't retain these rights it might give an indication to their thinking on the Pro 14.

• Advertisement

Quotes, but I reckon Joe could have an actual affair with Zebo and they still wouldn't even consider replacing him.

is the above a Freudian slip, doth protest too much me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement