Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

snowflaker wrote: »
    Rob Kearney??? Why not bring RoG BoD and PoC back ffs!!!

Apt username.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rob Kearney??? Why not bring RoG BoD and PoC back ffs!!!

They're retired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Earls could be out for up to 6 weeks according to Cian Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Kearney probably there because the other two members of the back three are neophytes and there is a chance that the Saffas could target them aerially. I think Kearney is done as our starting full back soon, but I see the logic in that selection.

Disappointed Ruddock didn't get a start. He has been the form Irish back row for a long time.

Aki has never played a game of this level, so there will be some questions for him to answer. I think he will comfortably, but we will only find out over this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wegians89 wrote: »

That's a big blow but a huge opportunity for others. Earls will come back into the team but it means at least a couple of others are guaranteed to stake a claim for a spot now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    Sounds like softening the blow a bit for McGrath, to be honest.

Well there's his confidence fcuked....

Wegians89 wrote: »

Nooooooo

• Administrators Posts: 53,343 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Am I the only one a little worried? There a few forwards in that starting pack that are short of game time and/or form. And the back line is quite disjointed. The bench doesn't scream impact either. If the lads deliver to their potential then it's a strong selection, but there's a handful of players there that could struggle to for various reasons.

Don't think the backline is disjointed. Nobody is playing in a funny position, everyone is in their best position. A few new caps but all deserved on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Don't think the backline is disjointed. Nobody is playing in a funny position, everyone is in their best position. A few new caps but all deserved on form.

Also our half backs and midfield all have extensive experience playing with the guys beside them. That will help a lot. Wingers are very fresh but they and RK will just be strike running.

Big battle is in the tight. Need the pack and midfield to front up. I wonder if this Aki chap likes a bit of a fight... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Happy enough. The leaks really take the sting out of these team announcements.

A word on Rob Herring. OK, Scannell is injured and who knows what is going on with Cronin, but I never thought Herring would see a green jersey again, so fair play to him.

Sounds like McGrath is in a "could have played if he had to" sort of situation, but Healy and Kilcoyne are well worth their places.

Two more new caps to add to the pile, good to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

So looks like poor auld Rob will be the default fall guy for the next 48hours on here...
    Surely that'll be enough proof in itself that this a progressive path that Schmidt & co. are on.
    But convincing some posters of that?

Where's that GIF of Abe Simpson putting his hat back on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

They're retired

Hey could take the hint!

Can’t play Zebo as they are “looking to the WC”, plays RK15... DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

McGrath not being there is completely in line with how Schmidt has selected in the past, if you don't train you've little chance of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Hey could take the hint!

Can’t play Zeno as they are “looking to the WC”, plays RK15... DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

Oh what lovely timing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Buer wrote: »
    That's a big blow but a huge opportunity for others. Earls will come back into the team but it means at least a couple of others are guaranteed to stake a claim for a spot now.

I'd prefer to have earls and his experience for the next few games and give Carbery a run at 15 but fell Kearney could play over 200 minutes in the three matches now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Hey could take the hint!

Can’t play Zeno as they are “looking to the WC”, plays RK15... DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

I agree Zeno and the other warrior princess would really strengthen our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Expected for Dillane to be dropped.
    Very upset to see Conway/Kearney not only selected in the squad but starting
    Keane was right Bundee is playing 12 with Henshaw outside him. Good old times are back :)

Hey could take the hint!

You're thinking of the famous Zebo's paradox where the closer you get to a game, the better a player he becomes and the worse his alternatives become.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hey could take the hint!

Can’t play Zebo as they are “looking to the WC”, plays RK15... DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

How old do you think Kearney is?

connachta wrote: »
    Expected for Dillane to be dropped.
    Very upset to see Conway/Kearney not only selected in the squad but starting
    Keane was right Bundee is playing 12 with Henshaw outside him. Good old times are back :)

Get outta here. Conway has been brilliant this season. Totally deserving.

Kearney's selection makes more sense with Earls now out. I think it's a good benefit to Stockdale and Conway to have an established player with them in the back three.

• Advertisement

Sephiral wrote: »
    You're thinking of the famous Zebo's paradox where the closer you get to a game, the better a player he becomes and the worse his alternatives become.

Rob has had more slips than Stephen Gerrard!

But Connacht fans maybe be him a free pass on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hey could take the hint!

Can't play "Zeno" as he has decided to leave the country. Wouldn't have mattered if it was now or the season after the RWC.

RK is the only person that was ever going to be picked after that. I don't know why people would choose to complain now. Did you think Schmidt was going to announce Zebo and shout "GOTCHA!"?

maddness wrote: »
    I agree Zeno and the other warrior princess would really strengthen our team.

Xena is more that one typo from Zeno but nice try

:confused:

Zeno needs gametime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Xena is more that one typo from Zeno but nice try

Under the posts, and an easy conversion.

Sephiral wrote: »
    :confused:

Pro 12 final 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

molloyjh wrote: »
    Am I the only one a little worried? There a few forwards in that starting pack that are short of game time and/or form. And the back line is quite disjointed. The bench doesn't scream impact either. If the lads deliver to their potential then it's a strong selection, but there's a handful of players there that could struggle to for various reasons.

Only reason to be worried, imo, is if you absolutely definitely must have a win out of this game. I'd be happy with a solid performance from a relatively inexperience team, but I don't think I'm too worried about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who is that, does he play in the AIL?

• Advertisement

Who is that, does he play in the AIL?

Yep for Tullamore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement