Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Ringrose isn't a prospect anymore, he's the real deal.

Carbery is up there too along with McCloskey.

I was thinking more Larmour and Carbery.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

When would conways future be sorted? Hope that if he's out and tiernan isn't called up that larmour gets the nod over likes of bowe Trimble McFadden. Larmour has so much potential and needs to be in the frame as much as possible. Stockdale and larmour could be two absolute demons on the wings come World Cup time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hope for toh, but I watched it again, and I bet on a 2 weeks ban, maybe reduced to 1 if he's a first offender...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

connachta wrote: »
    Hope for toh, but I watched it again, and I bet on 2 weeks ...

Jesus, but if this isn't a terribly depressing way to think about things.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hope for toh, but I watched it again, and I bet on 2 weeks ...

No, I don't think he deserves more. I'm honnest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

On Larmour, he got badly bounced in the tackle a few times. He’s an exciting prospect but let’s not get too carried away with the new shiny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Threadbare at hooker. Best, wonderful servant that he has been is 35 and won't make the world cup, or if he does at 37 we are not going anywhere. Scannel and Casey coming back will help greatly but not sure jettisoning Cronin is the right call just now. Tom McCartney qualified yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Threadbare at hooker. Best, wonderful servant that he has been is 35 and won't make the world cup, or if he does at 37 we are not going anywhere. Scannel and Casey coming back will help greatly but not sure jettisoning Cronin is the right call just now. Tom McCartney qualified yet?

He is, wasn't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

JPCN1 wrote: »

Cronin didnt play for leinster at weekend. Has there been any injury reported on him? I wouldnt say he has been jettisoned just yet.

McCartney realistically might not be worth investing in if there is Scannell, Tracy, Herring, Heffernan, Cronin, Best, Casey (if he gets back to where he was a few seasons ago).

Marshall will be qualified just after the 2019 RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

MJohnston wrote: »

Thats so true. Would toh really believe that conways possible expulsion from the squad and his own possible inclusion in any way changes the fundamental issue that he is not needed in this Irish squad. I know thats really harsh to suggest but reality must be faced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

but reality must be faced

Does this mean you are going to stop posting about it.

If he does, I won't anyway
    freedom of speech and love of the truth : TOH is and should be ahead of Kearney/Byrne, maybe Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

freedom of speech and love of the truth : TOH is and should be ahead of Kearney/Byrne, maybe Conway
    Don't forget Girvan Dempsey and Geordan Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

You know things are bad when Venjur doesn't have to post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Byrne is a winger. Kearney has been undisputed first choice for eight years. TOH simply isn't competing with either of them. Byrne plays a different position and Kearney plays on a different plane of existence.

He was omitted for Conway and anyone who didn't see that coming hasn't been paying attention. It was flagged eight months ago.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Does this mean you are going to stop posting about it.

Done. Internationals selected by an individual. We can agree or disagree on selections but a man is put at the helm and he decides. So you have to live with that. So then its more a matter of province equalization, this being purely better for everybody involved. So its grassroots development. Leinster has had the advantage. Its really high time that the other provinces are injected with funds to develop their youngster base. There has to be an island wide strategy developed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

. Its really high time that the other provinces are injected with funds to develop their youngster base.

Why?
    There are far fewer players to be developed in the other provinces, so far less cash required. And where would those funds come from, Leinster ?
    There is a very strong all Ireland programme. If there werent, Connacht wouldnt exist at all : a tiny handful of local players, who would be better an more economically developed in one of the other 3 provinces, and a bunch of players the other provinces have already passed on, isnt being sustained for its value for money.

Why?
    There are far fewer players to be developed in the other provinces, so far less cash required. And where would those funds come from, Leinster ?
    There is a very strong all Ireland programme. If there werent, Connacht wouldnt exist at all : a tiny handful of local players, who would be better an more economically developed in one of the other 3 provinces, and a bunch of players the other provinces have already passed on, isnt being sustained for its value for money.
    Have never enjoyed your viewpoint hugely. I would like to understand how you think it is all equal. Connacht, it would seem, exist on the benevolance of leinster, as indeed do munster and ulster. Thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

The IRFU have only one main concern - Dublin.
    Dublin is the cash cow and in these tough times you want your cash cow milking.
    The IRFU will never let leinster be anything but No.1 in Ireland.
    It is not that the IRFU do not want to invest in connacht but the IRFU are limited with their funds and leinster have the consumer population to guarantee return on investment but only if Leinster are performing.
    It actually would be bad financially for the IRFU if the 3 other provinces started to develop as talented squads as Leinster, the IRFU could not afford the subsides the other provinces would require to keep those players here and the fall out from that would be civil war.
    Those are the harsh realities when accountants are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is like when those two AI bots started fighting each other, only not funny.

• Advertisement

It is not that the IRFU do not want to invest in connacht but the IRFU are limited with their funds and leinster have the consumer population to guarantee return on investment but only if Leinster are performing.
    It actually would be bad financially for the IRFU if the 3 other provinces started to develop as talented squads as Leinster, the IRFU could not afford the subsides the other provinces would require to keep those players here and the fall out from that would be civil war.

I may be painful but you bring it to a new level Count Dickoo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Speak for yourself, mate, Dublin is booming right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

If dj holds his depth he can get the ball moving opposed to standing
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yup.

DK is standing still when he gets the ball whereas the cover is running so they're the favourite to push him into touch if he goes for the corner.

Cutting inside is the smart option.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, mate, Dublin is booming right now!

thats why i called it a cash cow, mate.

I may be painful but you bring it to a new level Count Dickoo

the truth hurts, but I actually think dublin is big enough for 2 teams, a relocation for connacht might not be a crazy idea.
    Use of the RDS and the opportunity to stop aki and dillane leaving for the big city lights as they will already be there.
    If only Connacht had moved before henshaw decided to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Have never enjoyed your viewpoint hugely. I would like to understand how you think it is all equal. Connacht, it would seem, exist on the benevolance of leinster, as indeed do munster and ulster. Thanks so much
    The clue is in his initials. :)

It's clearly related to population though. Massive difference between Leinster and Connacht in that respect. No amount of money will change that.

Exclusive photo of IRFU CEO has been released

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/snidely-whiplash_6902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

errlloyd wrote: »
    Point A: Dave Kearney butchered it because he should have gone for the corner but he's too slow.
    Point B: Dave Kearney couldn't have gone for the corner, and that wasn't his fault no one is quick enough.

My point: Dave Kearney probably could have gone for the corner if he had been hitting the ball at full pace, instead of stopped catching it behind him. He actually almost took half a step back to take it.

In fairness, the pass was loopier than I remember. But in this screenshot before the pass you see how flat DK was. If he's a few metres further back he runs on to it at full speed and we score in my opinion. As I said, it probably isn't his fault because he might have been expecting a grubber or something.

431864.jpg

Iirc, he had a penalty advantage, of course he should have gone for the try line. Worst case scenario is he's bundled into touch and they go back for the 3 points - which was the eventual outcome anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

phog wrote: »
    Iirc, he had a penalty advantage, of course he should have gone for the try line. Worst case scenario is he's bundled into touch and they go back for the 3 points - which was the eventual outcome anyway.

Why would you go for the outside if you know you won't get around the defender. It's blatantly obvious what the correct decision was here.

The only plausible criticism here is that he should have been deeper, but that's really clutching at straws.

Why do people lose all common sense when these two lads are being discussed, its madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why would you go for the outside if you know you won't get around the defender. It's blatantly obvious what the correct decision was here.

The only plausible criticism here is that he should have been deeper, but that's really clutching at straws.

Why do people lose all common sense when these two lads are being discussed, its madness.

In reality the cut out pass was the error. It should have gone through the hands to Rob who should have gone on the outside of Bowe to fix him and cut across Piutaus line before giving to Dave for the simple finish in the corner.

But like we were taking about last week with Zebo and Earls we are back to that micro-analysing a split second decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement