Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Rugby - one of few sports in which Ireland can really compete internationally, while simultaneously the sport that's probably the least understood (even by those who regularly watch it).

This combination of factors brings the wall-chewing fucksheen out of the masses, like no other sport.

Mod: Enough with the language and the elitist attitude. This forum is welcoming to all fans regardless of their expertise, no need for that rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I've been to two RWCs and seen Ireland win the GS in Cardiff and countless 6 Nations, I don't feel threatened by snotty posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Your using Kearneys age against him being picked but your constantly advocating McCartney who is older being picked ahead of 27 year old (Herring). Why is Kearneys age a problem for you but not McCartney's?

Kearney is a back, McCartney a forward. You know very well there are way more international players aged 32+ in the 2nd category. Yes BOD was an exception for 40 months, because he was "special".

Nah. Reckon Joe saw my posts here about trying Carbery at 12 and thought "this dude is on to something".

Sad thing is, some here probably think they do read them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Listening to Game On. So many texts about Zebo and TOH on a day when Stockdale, Conway and Sweetnam are all named.

It's just never enough for some people.

Ah its embarrasing.  So many young lads getting a go and social media are just ****eing on about Rob Kearney.

A lot of miserable people out there.
    I don't think Kearney will make it to RWC. I don't think he deserves a go after a long injury. I don't think he's the best FB in Ireland. I don't think he's good enough since last RWC.
    But I've never ever show, disrespect toward him. He's a gent.  A smart guy. One of the best FB in the world in the past.
    I guess I was not targeted by your post, but you could separate those who're against Kearney as a person (miserable indeed) and the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    Kearney is a back, McCartney a forward. You know very well there are way more international players age 32+ in the 2nd category. Yes BOD was an exception for 40 months

And?

Kearney was picked to provide a balance between developing players and having experienced voices on the pitch.

There is 7 outside backs (11-15) in the 23 and 5 of them have something like 7 caps between. If Joe wasnt planning ahead Bowe, Trimble and McFadden would be named. They aren't even in the 38 man squad

I don't think Kearney will make it to RWC. I don't think he deserves a go after a long injury. I don't think he's the best FB in Ireland. I don't think he's good enough since last RWC.
    But I've never ever show, disrespect toward him. He's a gent.  A smart guy. One of the best FB in the world in the past.
    I guess I was not targeted by your post, but you could separate those who're against Kearney as a person (miserable indeed) and the others.

Who is against him as a person???

There is a 38 man squad for this series. There is also about 8-10 others who could just as easily make the plane for Japan not involved currently.

That means almost half the current 38 man squad could find themselves experiencing the RWC from their Sofa's.

That doesn't mean we just pick the 31 for Japan now abd stick with them for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Buer wrote: »
    Trawling the released files as we type.

Updates to follow.
    Are you aware that Heaslip's da was actually a member of one of Kennedy's guards of honour/ funeral cortege?:eek:

signed
    Buzz Killington

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I guess Joe sees Carbery as a flyhalf in the long term. I would've liked to see him start at 15 as he's in cracking form and having a second playmaker in the backline has improved Leinster's attack no end. I can understand wanting Kearney in for an experienced head though. Ruddock can feel hard done by though. He's been the best backrow in the country this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Clegg wrote: »
    I guess Joe sees Carbery as a flyhalf in the long term. I would've liked to see him start at 15 as he's in cracking form and having a second playmaker in the backline has improved Leinster's attack no end. I can understand wanting Kearney in for an experienced head though. Ruddock can feel hard done by though. He's been the best backrow in the country this season.

You wouldn't know, he may be more than happy for Johnny to play 80 and Joey to replace RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Clegg wrote: »

You wouldn't know, he may be more than happy for Johnny to play 80 and Joey to replace RK.
    Maybe. But it's suicidal to go into a game with no recognised back up at out half. If Jonny gets injured I can see Carbery coming on and one of Stockdale or Conway going to full back while Sweetnam goes to the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

what is the story with cronin? is he dropped or refusing to play?
    South Africa are a poor team and Ireland should win comfortably.
    The result of this game will have a bearing on who gets the 2023 world cup so uncle joe better make sure he gets the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Now folks. No quotes please.

what is the story with cronin? is he dropped or refusing to play? .

Cronin was dropped. He played last week for Leinster so he aint injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That didn't last long :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I heard that Cronin is refusing to play until TOH gets picked.

#connachtsolidarity

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That didn't last long :(

I'm going to assume this was a part quote.
    All good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Listening to Game On. So many texts about Zebo and TOH on a day when Stockdale, Conway and Sweetnam are all named.

It's just never enough for some people.

Same folks who would have been cribbing about Joe not picking young player six months ago are now up in arms that a 21 and a 24 year old are selected ahead of a 26 and a 27 year old. Moving the goalposts lads.

I don't think Kearney will make it to RWC.

I think most agree on this point, and we really need someone to come through pretty quickly to be an international level fb. But there doesnt seem to be a natural fullback of international level out thereat the moment. Conway and Carbsie seem to be the most likely options to make it.

• Advertisement

I think most agree on this point, and we really need someone to come through pretty quickly to be an international level fb. But there doesnt seem to be a natural fullback of international level out thereat the moment. Conway and Carbsie seem to be the most likely options to make it.

88187.jpg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    88187.jpg

He was good in Donnie Darko. Wasnt gone on Brokeback Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I hope Bundee is not too fired up, if himself and Etzebeth come face to face there could be trouble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

For me Kearney is there as a mentor and a leader.

His job is to teach Conway and Stockdale what they need to do at international level in the Joe system.

I agree with you that Kearney may not make it to the world cup and we need a replacement option. The thing is Earls is the only winger who is an established international likely to make it to the world cup.

Trimble Bowe McFadden all on the downside of their careers. Zebo is gone to France. Dave is Dave. Leaving Earls as the only back three player likely to make the world cup.

Kearney is to provide experience and leadership to the two lads. Maybe in the Summer Kearney will be left behind and a combination of Earls Stockdale and Conway will have sufficient veteran status to handhold a new fullback into international rugny whether thats Conway shifting in or Carbery or whether toh can do what he has been told to do and work on his work ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Organising the back three is an important job that requires experience. The new lads can concentrate on their game with Kearney there to direct them when they get out of position or need to adapt. We've seen what happens when things go wrong in that department. His ability in the air and under a high ball will obviously help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

some very inexperienced in the irish 23 especially on bench
    after what has been said about SA this week by irfu and minions the South africa players surely will perform.
    Stander will be targeted, Sexton and murray too which is par for the course.
    Could be a bruising day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't understand why it would bother the players. Your country has a lot of crime and is having issues financially. Also, you may struggle to sell out games. I'd say they will beshocked to hear such criticism, living in their gated communities and playing weekly in not sold out stadiums for less money than the lads they played rugby with who got the **** out for all the reasons listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

For me Kearney is there as a mentor and a leader.

His job is to teach Conway and Stockdale what they need to do at international level in the Joe system
    Ehmmm Andrew you catch the ball, ehmmmm Jacob you CATCH the ball. Next thing is you HOLD the ball. Do you understand/

Let me explain this again, because
    I know its really REALLY difficult to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Ehmmm Andrew you catch the ball, ehmmmm Jacob you CATCH the ball. Next thing is you HOLD the ball. Do you understand/

Clutch that ball in your stomach as if it is a fancy new television you have just looted. Blow out your cheeks (the illusion of added size will intimidate opponents) and sprint intently, but not too quickly, towards the closest I repeat CLOSEST member of the opposing team. Now this last step is all about timing, as you approach the defender duck and perform a half pirouette to ensure you are facing backwards with minimal momentum at the moment of contact, you don’t want to break that telly!

• Advertisement

Well given Matt Healy and Niyi Adeolokuns inability to hold onto and secure the ball in contact in the last season or two, maybe that indicates something about the guy at 15 for connacht and why he was dropped by Joe. What's his name again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement