Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    Rosario left the game last night in the eight inning. No word yet as to why. So fingers crossed!!

Bruised right index finger. Will be out for a few games.

Swept by Houston. Ahh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »
    Bruised right index finger. Will be out for a few games.

Swept by Houston. Ahh well.

Mets speak for half his hand is falling offðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do I laugh. Do I cry. Do I hit the Redbreast 12

All 3.

But don't worry, only another few weeks and then we can move on with our lives (which in my case will be getting equally frustrated as a Washington Redskins supporter!).

• Advertisement

All 3.

But don't worry, only another few weeks and then we can move on with our lives (which in my case will be getting equally frustrated as a Washington Redskins supporter!).

Some of us follow the Jets. Can you imagine. This team might challenge the all-time losingest Jets team at 1-15.

Today's Mets injury report: The following Mets will have surgery in the next few days:
    David Wright - Rotator Cuff
    TJ Rivera - Tommy John (and he's an infielder ffs!)
    Michael Conforto - Shoulder
    Josh Edgin - Knee

Maybe Wright's finally done and they can go sign a 3rd baseman this offseason.

Igotadose wrote: »

Today's Mets injury report: The following Mets will have surgery in the next few days:
    David Wright - Rotator Cuff
    TJ Rivera - Tommy John (and he's an infielder ffs!)
    Michael Conforto - Shoulder
    Josh Edgin - Knee.

Only 4?

There's still 6 innings of today's game left though.

I know they're probably in cruise mode at the moment so they're probably not too worried about the 1-9 in the last 10 but the Dodgers have been beaten by Arizona the last 4 times they've played.

And presuming the D'backs negotiate the wild card game, they'll be playing each other in the NLDS. Arizona certainly won't be afraid going into that series. Interesting couple of games coming up for these tonight and tomorrow.

Yip, the Dodgers have finally hit a very bad run. Suppose it's better to go through it now, but they need to start turning things around quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

I know they're probably in cruise mode at the moment so they're probably not too worried about the 1-9 in the last 10 but the Dodgers have been beaten by Arizona the last 4 times they've played.

And presuming the D'backs negotiate the wild card game, they'll be playing each other in the NLDS. Arizona certainly won't be afraid going into that series. Interesting couple of games coming up for these tonight and tomorrow.

Only downside for the Dbacks is that Paul Goldschmidt has been sent for an MRI on his elbow.
    WOuld be a huge blow if he is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Here's JD's 4 Homers against the Dodgers last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szf0TeB2PKY

They're in a bit of a slump. But based on their form to date I expect them to be a different animal come the Post Season.

They're in a bit of a slump. But based on their form to date I expect them to be a different animal come the Post Season.

There are certainly precedents for teams with huge win totals in the regular season falling at the first hurdle in the postseason once the pressure is reapplied. The 1988 Mets with 100 wins and the 2001 Mariners with 116 wins are two that spring to mind.

boccy23 wrote: »
    There are certainly precedents for teams with huge win totals in the regular season falling at the first hurdle in the postseason once the pressure is reapplied. The 1988 Mets with 100 wins and the 2001 Mariners with 116 wins are two that spring to mind.

Definitely, I'd rather be a team in form, coming through the wild card, than win a division, but playing poorly in September.
    Need to iron out problems over the next few weeks, and hopr to be back in form for the last two weeks of the season. 1-9 over the last 10 games is very bad

I'm basing this on my dodgy memory as opposed to facts so maybe I'm not right but weren't they winning a lot of one run games earlier in the season? That might skew their record a bit as under normal circumstances, you'd lose a chunk of those games but they weren't so I'm thinking their record is a lot better than they actually are.

Now I'm not saying they should be a 70 win team but they were on pace for 110 wins at one stage weren't they?

And as said before, every team has a slump at some stage in the season and it's surprising that it's taken this long for the Dodgers to hit theirs.

And as others have said, you're better off coming into October hot as opposed to winning 95 games and being cold but the Dodgers still have a few weeks to sort themselves out.

I'm basing this on my dodgy memory as opposed to facts so maybe I'm not right but weren't they winning a lot of one run games earlier in the season? That might skew their record a bit as under normal circumstances, you'd lose a chunk of those games but they weren't so I'm thinking their record is a lot better than they actually are.

Now I'm not saying they should be a 70 win team but they were on pace for 110 wins at one stage weren't they?

And as said before, every team has a slump at some stage in the season and it's surprising that it's taken this long for the Dodgers to hit theirs.

And as others have said, you're better off coming into October hot as opposed to winning 95 games and being cold but the Dodgers still have a few weeks to sort themselves out.

They have a +189 run differential, first in baseball.

Ah right. Well there's my theory out the window.

(And they are only 23-15 in one run games so nothing to see here. Carry on!)

They have a +189 run differential, first in baseball.

I just feel that the Dodgers have too much quality and depth to loss to the Diamondbacks in the Post Season.

In saying that their remaining schedule in the regular season is tricky. Plenty of scope to drop a few series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I just feel that the Dodgers have too much quality and depth to loss to the Diamondbacks in the Post Season.

Except to Robbie Ray that is. Did anyone see his performance last night? 7 and 2/3's scoreless pitched, no walks, 14 strikeouts, perfect game to the 6th inning.

What does Ray have to do to be considered an elite starting pitcher? He never seems to be mentioned in that bracket and yet he's had FOUR appearances v's the Dodgers this season with more than 10 strikeouts.....that's the best team in baseball he's nullifying.

And plated a couple of runs while at bat....he's some man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just to clarify the 2001 Mariners made it to the ALCS (beat the Indians in the ALDS).

The problem with the post season is the sample size is so small, especially the Divisional Series, all it takes is a couple of pitchers to have a bad outing and you're in the hole.

• Advertisement

Agh. 1988. Where's the whiskey... Mickey Hatcher...Mike Scioscia... Who? Of course there was that Hershiser guy too.. And some dude with goo on his hat in the bullpen. Dave something.

Always felt 1988 was karma for 1986.

Mets were something like 11-1 vs. the Dodgers that regular season. Shows how much getting hot at the right time, matters. None of those Dodgers ever had as good a year as they had, that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So the Red Sox are in trouble for sign steeling using Apple Watches apparently

So the Red Sox are in trouble for sign steeling using Apple Watches apparently

So there is a use for the Apple Watch after all.

EDIT - Nice counter claim by the Red Sox too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Verlander debuting for the Astros tonight.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Verlander debuting for the Astros tonight.

He finished with 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 SO.

Solid start Mr Velander

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

In saying that their remaining schedule in the regular season is tricky. Plenty of scope to drop a few series.

I disagree with this. The Diamondbacks are good, very good, solid hitting and they have the rotation to beat the Dodgers. You only need 3 good starters in the post season and the Diamondbacks have that and a really solid bull pen.

Also they will face the Dodgers in the first round as a Wild Card , given they are in the same division it will literally come down to who performs best on the day as they are built to play against each other.

Being on the DL must make you lose your mind and make you do strange things.

https://twitter.com/cut4/status/905209918172651520

I disagree with this. The Diamondbacks are good, very good, solid hitting and they have the rotation to beat the Dodgers. You only need 3 good starters in the post season and the Diamondbacks have that and a really solid bull pen.

Also they will face the Dodgers in the first round as a Wild Card , given they are in the same division it will literally come down to who performs best on the day as they are built to play against each other.

I don't disagree with any of that. The Diamondbacks are a good team. Much better then anticipated at the start of the season. I just think the Dodgers will have too much for them in the Post Season.

But time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I don't disagree with any of that. The Diamondbacks are a good team. Much better then anticipated at the start of the season. I just think the Dodgers will have too much for them in the Post Season.

But time will tell

The Diamondbacks are on fire right now. Their rotation and bullpen is hot at the right time. And they have pressure hitters. The Dodgers line up is struggling big time. they need to snap out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

But time will tell

The Dodgers have plenty of recent history of bottling it in the postseason.

Advertisement