Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Especially that they're not squeaking by teams for the most part. They're winning games handily.

Are they peaking too soon though?

Quite possibly. But this streak, the confidence it has created is evident. I think it's going to be very very difficult to beat them. IMO they will win the AL comfortably.

Woooo, we're back. Going to win the World Series easily now :P

Woooo, we're back. Going to win the World a Series easily now :P

Fixed that for ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Ah no worries I was actually thinking the record was much more than 21. Was completely wrong!

Incredible really to think they are within touching distance of it!

It's even more incredible when you consider the random nature of baseball.

Dodgers win too with Kershaw. Can he pitch every day in the playoffs?

Hopefully the win kick starts them. The Mets are my number one team. But I've always had a soft spot for the Dodgers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ShyMets wrote: »
    Hopefully the win kick starts them. The Mets are my number one team. But I've always had a soft spot for the Dodgers

Didn't happen after their last win when he pitched.

Must sort out mlb tv for the playoffs. Can't justify it for the season as the Dodgers are on so late, but once the Playoffs start, every game is worth watching. Plus the missus can barely stomach me watching one game

Must sort out mlb tv for the playoffs. Can't justify it for the season as the Dodgers are on so late, but once the Playoffs start, every game is worth watching. Plus the missus can barely stomach me watching one game

I'm in America for the first round of playoff games and will get the 1st and 2nd games. Just hoping that the Nats can finally win a series in the playoffs!

I'm in America for the first round of playoff games and will get the 1st and 2nd games. Just hoping that the Nats can finally win a series in the playoffs!

I'm in DC around the middle of the month. Presuming the Nats are still playing and are at home when I'm there I'd like to go to a game. I'd imagine tickets will be like gold dust though. Watching in a bar would still be good though.

I'm in DC around the middle of the month. Presuming the Nats are still playing and are at home when I'm there I'd like to go to a game. I'd imagine tickets will be like gold dust though. Watching in a bar would still be good though.

Middle of this month?

• Advertisement

Middle of this month?

Sorry, middle of October.

The Cleveland game (3-1 up at the moment) is today's free game on MLB.TV if anyone wants to watch.

The Cleveland game (3-1 up at the moment) is today's free game on MLB.TV if anyone wants to watch.

And the Indians break the AL record. One hell of an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Some record and they don't show any signs of stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Anyone following Ichiro's attempt at the pinch-hit record? Reckon he'll get it and add another hit record to his achievements. Wonder will he retire then? If he keeps going another season or two his career batting avg will dip below .300. I'm pretty sure he's not bothered and just wants to keep playing but he's 43 now and it would look nice on the final stats.

Sorry, middle of October.

If it was middle of this month I could have offered you my tickets to a couple of the regular season games.

You might pick up tickets on the night at a playoff game but they wont be cheap and if it is the cubs, as expected,it's highly unlikely many will be available. Still worth going to Nats stadium they have the bullpen outside with beers/bars/games and a general carnival atmosphere. Never been there for the Playoffs but I imagine its even better craic then.

Indians really battling to keep that streak going. Down to their last out last night before pulling it out.

Indians really battling to keep that streak going. Down to their last out last night before pulling it out.

Five more wins needed to break the overall record. Can they do it.

The law of averages would say no. But they're so hot at the moment that I think they'll do it

ShyMets wrote: »
    Five more wins needed to break the overall record. Can they do it.

The law of averages would say no. But they're so hot at the moment that I think they'll do it

Question I suppose is the 26 a real record if it includes a draw?

Question I suppose is the 26 a real record if it includes a draw?

I was wondering the same. MLB consider it legit. The tie was as a result of a game that couldn't be completed in time, and at that time they played the whole game again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/09/14/new-york-giants-mlb-record-26-game-winning-streak-stands/667687001/

• Advertisement

I was wondering the same. MLB consider it legit. The tie was as a result of a game that couldn't be completed in time, and at that time they played the whole game again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/09/14/new-york-giants-mlb-record-26-game-winning-streak-stands/667687001/

22 games , some going though. They are playing hard every day to get it done too. Yesterday was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

22 games , some going though. They are playing hard every day to get it done too. Yesterday was epic.
    Question is are they playing too hard too soon? When the Warriors were going for their record season, they were playing every game at the end of the season like it was a one and done playoff game but then they weren't able to get over the line in the NBA finals when they really should have. I guess the Indians will be able to take their foot off the gas once the streak ends and they have secured the division and any potential home field advantages.

Still a 22 game win streak is amazing in this day and age...

Coeus wrote: »
    Question is are they playing too hard too soon? When the Warriors were going for their record season, they were playing every game at the end of the season like it was a one and done playoff game but then they weren't able to get over the line in the NBA finals when they really should have. I guess the Indians will be able to take their foot off the gas once the streak ends and they have secured the division and any potential home field advantages.

Still a 22 game win streak is amazing in this day and age...

I read yesterday that if anything there is evidence that this Indians team is actually under performing a little on the stats side of things, despite the 22 game winning streak.

To me they are a team in the form of their lives. Great starting three and ridiculously good bull pen with a great hitting line up. I'd find it hard to see anyone beating them over a playoff series but strange things happen occasionally and baseball is alot more competitive than basketball. Any of the playoff teams could hit form and beat anyone else IMO.

The warriors regular season achievement had very little to do with losing to the Cavs, they just met a better team over the seven games inspired by one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

I think a winning streak in baseball like this should be admired because of the whole issue of match ups. You could have your no.5 starter up against an opposition's no.1 or whatever so being able to win so many games in a row is an amazing achievement.

I think a winning streak in baseball like this should be admired because of the whole issue of match ups. You could have your no.5 starter up against an opposition's no.1 or whatever so being able to win so many games in a row is an amazing achievement.

In addition though the inverse could be said, who have they beaten Boston, Yankee's the better teams. With Kansas, Detroit, Baltimore and the W Sox. so not exactly a who's who of playoff contenders.

But like you said earlier all those teams have an ace and could have been agaisnt the Indians number 5 etc etc. It's an incredible achievement 22 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I read yesterday that if anything there is evidence that this Indians team is actually under performing a little on the stats side of things, despite the 22 game winning streak.

Fivethirtyeight.com delves into this - says the Indians should be 6 wins better than their actual record. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/amazingly-the-indians-are-even-better-than-they-seem/

As so often, they need to be wary of injuries. Set a record or have their streak broken, then give the players some rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Igotadose wrote: »
    Fivethirtyeight.com delves into this - says the Indians should be 6 wins better than their actual record. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/amazingly-the-indians-are-even-better-than-they-seem/

As so often, they need to be wary of injuries. Set a record or have their streak broken, then give the players some rest.

The one thing about their streak is the starters ERA after 21 games was 1.40 or something like that. That is just insane. And they did most of it without the best reliever in the game, Andrew Miller.

But just like the Dodgers losing streak, it means nothing in October. Gonna be amazing to see how all this plays out.

Fair play to Cleveland, the streak had to have ended sometime. Francona should rotate the position players through the DH to keep their batter's eye sharp but reduce injury risk. And keep the starters sharp but there's plenty of innings for rookies to show they belong, too.

Must be great being an Indians fan right now. Sigh. I remember those feelings when my team seemed invincible to me (1986...1988...2000).

As much as thinking of the Mets conniving thieving owners makes my gorge rise, they have nothing on the guy that sold the Marlins. Nice piece here in Forbes on how this art dealer parlayed a small investment in the Expos to a huge revenue win when selling the Marlins.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2017/02/09/jeff-loria-would-score-huge-baseball-windfall-with-1-6-billion-marlins-sale/#737ad59f3b69

• Advertisement

MLB.tv is only $3.99 right now.

Advertisement