Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

9 runs for the Reds v Chicago in the 2nd inning today. Crazy stuff.

(Mets have scored 9 runs in 3 games by comparison)

This game is crazy. 9-6 now in the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This game is crazy. 9-6 now in the 4th.

Cubs go back to back to back

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Cubs go back to back to back

and now we're tied!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Josh Donaldson has been an absolute monster these last few weeks. Another 1st inning dinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Aaron Judge sets MLB record for most number of consecutive games with a strikeout. Oh my.

Judge is a good example of how the game has changed. 20/30 years ago a guy who struck out as much as him would find themselves in danger of being benched.

Now a days its an all or nothing approach. The problem with that is that players don't fear striking out any more so we get less balls in play and less action:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

ShyMets wrote: »
    Judge is a good example of how the game has changed. 20/30 years ago a guy who struck out as much as him would find themselves in danger of being benched.

Now a days its an all or nothing approach. The problem with that is that players don't fear striking out any more so we get less balls in play and less action:(

I don't think that's accurate, anyone hitting 37 Home Runs with a .288 batting average regardless of their strikeout rate is not getting benched in any team in baseball.

I don't think that's accurate, anyone hitting 37 Home Runs with a .288 batting average regardless of their strikeout rate is not getting benched in any team in baseball.

You're right. Benched is the wrong word. Such a high strike out rate would have impacted his value. Now a days not so much.

You're right. Benched is the wrong word. Such a high strike out rate would have impacted his value. Now a days not so much.

If his batting average wasn't so high that would closer to the truth. His strikeout rate is incredibly high I'll give you that. But in the era of the long ball his HR's count for more especially.

If his batting average wasn't so high that would closer to the truth. His strikeout rate is incredibly high I'll give you that. But in the era of the long ball his HR's count for more especially.

Exactly. Considering his almost ridiculous strike rate his batting average is all the more impressive.

Exactly. Considering his almost ridiculous strike rate his batting average is all the more impressive.

It is the strikeouts have gotten worse since the all star break, was mentioned already I think by Jack that he was due regression couldnt have kept going the way he was.

Speaking of HR's can Stanton get to 60 for the year? He's on an absolute tear the last three weeks.

• Advertisement

It is the strikeouts have gotten worse since the all star break, was mentioned already I think by Jack that he was due regression couldnt have kept going the way he was.

Speaking of HR's can Stanton get to 60 for the year? He's on an absolute tear the last three weeks.

As long as he strikes out at every at-bat this weekend, I'd like to see him get 60. The ball's like a beachball to him at the moment.

And no HR derby curse there.....!!!!

As long as he strikes out at every at-bat this weekend, I'd like to see him get 60. The ball's like a beachball to him at the moment.

I'd like to see him get to 74, not likely to happen of course but I would be so much happier if he had the record.

61 and match Maris would be an incredible achievement, sign with the nationals and have Miami eat some of his contract :) great business!

I'd like to see him get to 74, not likely to happen of course but I would be so much happier if he had the record.

61 and match Maris would be an incredible achievement, sign with the nationals and have Miami eat some of his contract :) great business!

It'll be interesting to see what happens him in the off-season. With his injury history, you'd wonder will anyone bite and look to trade for him. You'd wonder what it would take to get him.

Also with new owners in Miami, it'll be interesting to see the way they want to take the team and whether he's part of it or not. I wouldn't read too much into him being put on waivers recently. They're probably just testing the water to gauge interest.

It'll be interesting to see what happens him in the off-season. With his injury history, you'd wonder will anyone bite and look to trade for him. You'd wonder what it would take to get him.

Also with new owners in Miami, it'll be interesting to see the way they want to take the team and whether he's part of it or not. I wouldn't read too much into him being put on waivers recently. They're probably just testing the water to gauge interest.

He'll get interest without a doubt. Miami might have to eat some of his contract to get rid of him if they want to go in that direction. Probably have to think about doing it too as they are not near competing at the moment or in the near future.

And at the same time it's hard to see who would take him on with that huge salary and the injury record.

I wonder his regression more to due with pitchers making adjustments when pitching to him.

Hope Stanton does make 60. I've always liked him. Not sure he will though. I suspect he'll breakdown at some point

Just had a look at the wild card standing for the first time in a while. The AL is so close. Only 3 of the 15 teams are out of it with the rest all with in 3 games of the Angels who have the second WC spot at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Boooo!!!!

Curtis Granderson traded to the Dodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Curtis Granderson traded to the Dodgers

Good for Granderson, another postseason appearance and a chance at a WS ring, possibly his last time. Seems like a stand-up guy, wonder if he'd return as a coach.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Good for Granderson, another postseason appearance and a chance at a WS ring, possibly his last time. Seems like a stand-up guy, wonder if he'd return as a coach.

Yeah nice guy alright. There's a video of him from Thursday night going around thanking all the staff, from ushers to concession sellers to secretaries in the office, so he must have known something was on the cards.

Nice that his last at bat was a grand slam too!

Just Cabrera to find a home for now and the great giveaway of 2017 will be complete. Ironic that he's the only one who asked to be traded and he's the only one left!

• Advertisement

Yeah nice guy alright. There's a video of him from Thursday night going around thanking all the staff, from ushers to concession sellers to secretaries in the office, so he must have known something was on the cards.

Nice that his last at bat was a grand slam too!

Just Cabrera to find a home for now and the great giveaway of 2017 will be complete. Ironic that he's the only one who asked to be traded and he's the only one left!

Always seemed a real Pro both on and off the field. Would love for him to win a WS ring.

Always seemed a real Pro both on and off the field. Would love for him to win a WS ring.

Rene Rivera gone now too (Cubs claimed him off waivers). At this rate, there'll be no one left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Another 3 strikeouts for Judge against the Red Sox tonight extending his strikeout streak. I suspect if this was any other player, he'd be down in in Triple-A right now.

Rene Rivera gone now too (Cubs claimed him off waivers). At this rate, there'll be no one left.

Mildly surprised they didn't hang on to him until the end of the season. Plawecki recalled from Minors

Mildly surprised they didn't hang on to him until the end of the season. Plawecki recalled from Minors

All about the money. Another half million saved.

And the disappointing but hardly unexpected thing is that the $12-13m they've saved over the past few weeks isn't being set aside for next season. Apparently Alderson had an agreement with the Wilpons that he could overspend this season but if it went pear shaped he had to recoup the extra money spent which is what he's doing now.

All about the money. Another half million saved.

And the disappointing but hardly unexpected thing is that the $12-13m they've saved over the past few weeks isn't being set aside for next season. Apparently Alderson had an agreement with the Wilpons that he could overspend this season but if it went pear shaped he had to recoup the extra money spent which is what he's doing now.

Very disheartening. Not optimistic about about what'll they'll do in the off season. Just can't see the Wilton's open their wallets

Very disheartening. Not optimistic about about what'll they'll do in the off season. Just can't see the Wilton's open their wallets

The Wilpons spent on Cespedes, that'll keep them from signing anyone 'big.' The team badly needs more starting depth - there are some interesting starters that might be available via free agency like Yu Darvish.

Enough on the Mets. Their season's over. Their owners are scum and their GM is mostly lucky and not particularly good. Let's wait till Jack starts the offseason thread to discuss offseason moves :)

Mets receive RHP Jacob Rhame for Granderson.

Not much to write much to write home about I'm afraid.

Mets receive RHP Jacob Rhame for Granderson.

Not much to write much to write home about I'm afraid.
    Supposedly is a one pitch (mid/high-90's fastball) pitcher. Who knows, Viola's supposedly a good pitching coach at AAA, maybe the kid'll add another pitch.

But, yeah, not much to write home about with these salary dumps, errr, trades. Seems like one plan they had was dumping all the FA eligible once the season went belly up, and they're executing that well. Team is pretty unwatchable, yesterday another prime example all kinds of defensive miscues, can't throw out any base-stealers (and it's not like they're playing a particularly *good* team here). Basically, AAA baseball being played at Citi field. Other teams are probably salivating to play the Mets through the end of the season.

Now the question is whether the team'll lose 100 games. I think there's a pretty good chance of them going 8-32 for the rest of the season, that'll do it.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Supposedly is a one pitch (mid/high-90's fastball) pitcher. Who knows, Viola's supposedly a good pitching coach at AAA, maybe the kid'll add another pitch.

But, yeah, not much to write home about with these salary dumps, errr, trades. Seems like one plan they had was dumping all the FA eligible once the season went belly up, and they're executing that well. Team is pretty unwatchable, yesterday another prime example all kinds of defensive miscues, can't throw out any base-stealers (and it's not like they're playing a particularly *good* team here). Basically, AAA baseball being played at Citi field. Other teams are probably salivating to play the Mets through the end of the season.

Now the question is whether the team'll lose 100 games. I think there's a pretty good chance of them going 8-32 for the rest of the season, that'll do it.

Sums things up nicely. Its got to a stage where I've almost stopped watching the Mets. Only Smith and Rosario are keeping my interest alive. The whole thing is beyond a train wreck and now Edgin and Pill are in New York seeing doctors. At the rate the entire 40 man roster will be on the DL.

Advertisement