Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

50 for Stanton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

50 for Stanton!

He's getting to 60... I'm telling ye now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Rhys Hoskins has homered in 11 of his first 18 MLB games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

He's getting to 60... I'm telling ye now!!!!

I didn't think he would but it looking likely now. Rumour doing the rounds that the new owners of the Marlins want to offload him because of his contract. Interesting to see how it plays out

A major drawback of the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds era was that its taken away hugely from what Giancarlo is doing right now. Him chasing 62 would have been a major story and he could arguably be the only player to fairly do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

TimRiggins wrote: »
    A major drawback of the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds era was that its taken away hugely from what Giancarlo is doing right now. Him chasing 62 would have been a major story and he could arguably be the only player to fairly do it.

Did McGwire deny his steroid use? Sosa didn't, Bonds lied about it.

Stanton is amazing to watch, what a hitter. I highly recommend the Billy Crystal movie "61*" if you've never seen it, about Maris's season when he hit 61 and all the forces lined up against him. The Commissioner of Baseball then, Ford Frick, comes off deservedly badly. Didn't know that he was one of Babe Ruth's inner circle prior to being Commissioner.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Did McGwire deny his steroid use? Sosa didn't, Bonds lied about it.

Stanton is amazing to watch, what a hitter. I highly recommend the Billy Crystal movie "61*" if you've never seen it, about Maris's season when he hit 61 and all the forces lined up against him. The Commissioner of Baseball then, Ford Frick, comes off deservedly badly. Didn't know that he was one of Babe Ruth's inner circle prior to being Commissioner.

McGwire admitted he used them on and off for a decade. Never saw that movie, will give it a watch. I watched this the other day and it was a decent watch

I don't know how, but the Astros are going to playing at home this weekend. The Friday night game's being held over to Saturday so there's a doubleheader then and then the usual Sunday game.

Tigers OF Justin Upton traded to the Angels

Angels trade OF Cameron Maybin to the Astros

Tigers OF Justin Upton traded to the Angels

Angels trade OF Cameron Maybin to the Astros

Tigers actively (again!) looking to offload Verlander too. Possibly to the Astros. Bit of a de-ju feeling about this rumour though.

• Advertisement

September call ups tomorrow. Anyone else not like this?

Fair enough, you're giving young players a chance but bullpen management goes out the window and that's one of the most intriguing things about the game.

September call ups tomorrow. Anyone else not like this?

Fair enough, you're giving young players a chance but bullpen management goes out the window and that's one of the most intriguing things about the game.

Can't wait for managers to change pitcher for every single batter too :rolleyes:

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Can't wait for managers to change pitcher for every single batter too :rolleyes:

Meaning 4+ hour games then.

Meaning 4+ hour games then.

5+ for the Yankees!

You beat me to it!!!! 

Tigers actively (again!) looking to offload Verlander too. Possibly to the Astros. Bit of a de-ju feeling about this rumour though.

Verlander traded to the Astros for three prospects. Detroit will be covering a portion of his salary also

ShyMets wrote: »
    Verlander traded to the Astros for three prospects. Detroit will be covering a portion of his salary also

https://twitter.com/nypost_mets/status/903477022709579776

In other news, Pete Rose fired by Fox sports. Maybe he'll go away now from the spotlight once and for all:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/01/fox-sports-reportedly-has-fired-pete-rose-over-underage-sex-allegations/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.c717529e218e

And, for some rea$$$on the Mets are playing in Houston today (Saturday). Double header too. The two 1962 expansion teams having it out. Maybe Houston finally wins a WS this year. They shouldn't have much trouble with the Mets, ghods that's hard to say.

And, for some rea$$$on the Mets are playing in Houston today (Saturday). Double header too. The two 1962 expansion teams having it out. Maybe Houston finally wins a WS this year. They shouldn't have much trouble with the Mets, ghods that's hard to say.

Stupid fact of the day: First ever double header in Minute Maid Park!

Conforto having surgery this week. Four to six months recovery time

• Advertisement

Conforto having surgery this week. Four to six months recovery time

Timeframes are like dog years when announced by Mets medical staff. So when they say 4-6 months, it really means at least 9 months and more than likely out for the whole year.

There's probably a insensitive and inappropriate joke in there somewhere but Harvey pitching in Houston today has been a disaster.

first inning - 37 pitches, 4 hits, 1 hbp, 4 runs.

There's probably a insensitive and inappropriate joke in there somewhere but Harvey pitching in Houston today has been a disaster.

first inning - 37 pitches, 4 hits, 1 hbp, 4 runs.

Harvey had a stinker. Flores got hit in the face with a ball and left the game a bloody mess. The only bright spot was Jacob Rhame pitched pretty well for his big league debut

Harvey had a stinker. Flores got hit in the face with a ball and left the game a bloody mess. The only bright spot was Jacob Rhame pitched pretty well for his big league debut

But at least the Mets signed Nori Aoki. Perhaps some of the Blue Jay fans here can tell us whether he's got anything left. The Mets didn't go scout the latest phenom in Japan, though. Most of the rest of MLB did.

I'm still holding to my 100 loss prediction. Flores likely done now, too, broken nose that sure looked nasty. Mets minor league boosters will get their fill of Gavin Cecchini. Harvey will be back serving BP in a few days. Rest of the month is vs. the division, Cincinnati and the Cubs. They could mess up the Cub's clinching the division with a good series mid-September. Maybe the games remaining vs. the Marlins will matter to the Marlins chasing the wild card.

But at least the Mets signed Nori Aoki. Perhaps some of the Blue Jay fans here can tell us whether he's got anything left. The Mets didn't go scout the latest phenom in Japan, though. Most of the rest of MLB did.

I'm still holding to my 100 loss prediction. Flores likely done now, too, broken nose that sure looked nasty. Mets minor league boosters will get their fill of Gavin Cecchini. Harvey will be back serving BP in a few days. Rest of the month is vs. the division, Cincinnati and the Cubs. They could mess up the Cub's clinching the division with a good series mid-September. Maybe the games remaining vs. the Marlins will matter to the Marlins chasing the wild card.

Amazing how the season has gone. At the start of it I was confident of making the post season. Now we're talking 100 loss season. Thankfully it will soon be over.

Haven't seen much of Cecchini but what I read about him doesn't fill me with with much optimism. Still might as well call him up and take a look. Nothing to lose now.

It's taken until late August/early September but at last, the Dodgers are in a bit of a slump, 1/7 in their last eight. They could just be winding down and at least it isn't happening in early October but it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

It's taken until late August/early September but at last, the Dodgers are in a bit of a slump, 1/7 in their last eight. They could just be winding down and at least it isn't happening in early October but it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.
    They just got Kershaw back. That'll help :P

They just got Kershaw back. That'll help :P

He pitched that one win!

He pitched that one win!

Lost again last night. I suspect its more a case of taking the foot of the gas. They're through to the post season. No point going hell for leather in essentially meaningless games.

• Advertisement

Rosario left the game last night in the eight inning. No word yet as to why. So fingers crossed!!

Advertisement