Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    damn, I've never seen a public individual openly shout profanities at other well known people like that. And this is in the middle of total hypocrisy? Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    damn, I've never seen a public individual openly shout profanities at other well known people like that. And this is in the middle of total hypocrisy? Crazy.

What, where, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Floyd via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    You realise you're saying this after watching him take ten rds to beat a novice pro? His timing way off and his offensive output pretty poor.

As his father said before the bout he's lost something- hardly surprising given he is 40 and has been off for two years. Also he wasn't able to do much sparring in the lead up to the bout. I think we have definitely seen the last of Floyd in the ring because he knows, on the basis of that performance, top boxers would likely beat him now. Having said that even though Floyd's skills have diminished a great deal, credit must be given to Conor for his performance- i thought he would not win a round, but in my view he won the first three.

One final thing, i don't think Conor has any stamina issue, it's just that there was no resting or hiding place for him in there. He is not used to that pace, and having a lot of punches blocked saps your energy too. I don't think he will have the same issue if he does end up facing Malignaggi. I guess White will insist he focuses on UFC in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Floyd via DQ
    More silliness. It's not at all disrespectful to Conor, a man who is not a pro boxer, no matter what spin is put on it..

It is dismissive of Floyd, and rightly so. Spoofing and deceiving people into believing this to be a legitimately fair and honest boxing match..

You need to take your tongue out of his behind. Your constant fawning over the man is queasy!

By saying it's 49-0. You are saying that Conor McGregor is nothing. He may not have the boxing skill of Floyd Mayweather but deserves at the very least as much respect as the long list of cab drivers that Marciano faced in the 40s.

Tell me the 1940's heavyweight equivalent of Castilio, Gati, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao, All multiple time world champions at multiple different weight classes. People look back on the past with rose tinted specs. "The good old days"

Call it arse licking all you want but the reality is Mayweather is a far superior boxer than Marciano ever was and the names on their records don't even compare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    What, where, when?

oh sorry, I meant in his twitter. Worse than shouting orally if anything because he's keeping it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ
    That Corrales performance was something else. It's amazing how ordinary Floyd made him look, an undefeated fighter and had a legitimate place on the P4P list. I still remember as a young pup my boxing trainer handed me the tape of the fight. It would take me a few more years to properly understand and see the brilliance in full but that's as flawless as a performance you'll ever see.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    By saying it's 49-0. You are saying that Conor McGregor is nothing. He may not have the boxing skill of Floyd Mayweather but deserves at the very least as much respect as the long list of cab drivers that Marciano faced in the 40s.

Tell me the 1940's heavyweight equivalent of Castilio, Gati, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao, All multiple time world champions at multiple different weight classes. People look back on the past with rose tinted specs. "The good old days"

Call it arse licking all you want but the reality is Mayweather is a far superior boxer than Marciano ever was and the names on their records don't even compare

Hold on...

Becoming an ATG, winning belts in 5 divisions and beating 20 + WCs, and then fighting a complete novice pro to get win 50? part of my reasoning is the timeline..

Rocky beat all that was around in his era. He was HW champion...he had to prepare to face any man..

Of course he fought some less than stellar men during his career...

But guess what, so did Floyd and every great fighter coming up..

If Rocky fought a nobody novice pro whilst 48-0, a man from a different sport, and I lived during his reign, he does not get 49-0. But he fought an ATG in his final fight...hugely superior to Floyd's final fight. No comparison.

The most famous challenge to Rocky's record was Larry Holmes' 1985 bout against Michael Spinks..had he chosen a non boxer to tie the record he'd have been rightly mocked...

I stand by my reasoning here. 50-0 my arse!

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Oh, and Marciano breaks Floyd in half in a boxing match..

Yeh, he's a HW, blah blah blah...

Not even sure why Rocky's record is being brought into it..

That record is reserved for HWs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    Everyone saying the fight went how they predicted.... and the describing the fight in a way it didn't happen :P

What about that TKO inside 3 rounds prediction of yours??

Fairly badly off the mark tbf... :D
    Walshie about the only boxing forum regular that appears to have been able to watch the fight in an impartial fashion.

Do you have a hard** for walshie, or something...?? :p

He's not really being impartial... he is judging Floyd's performance against a higher barometer... simply because Floyd calls himself TBE... and he is in the ATG discussion bracket.

If he were being truly impartial... he would judge Floyd's performance, as if this was just two random boxers going at it. If you judge this fight in that manner... Floyd just scored a very easy win, against a guy who was nowhere in his league!
    The reason Floyd only threw 28 punches in those first three rounds was because he was being constantly pressured by Conor. Of those 28 punches, only 12 of them landed and that was not because Floyd merely missed, or because he was taking it easy, what nonsense, the truth is Conor was slipping them.

But no chance of a TKO... so you were WAY off the mark! :D
    In the end, the sheer volume of shots McGregor threw in those first five rounds resulted in him fatiguing and then when that gassing was apparent, Floyd finally grew some balls and started coming forward more (like he said he was going to do from the get go) but the risk was now largely gone for him and Conor was there for the taken. The fight was effectively over by the 6th and it was really just a matter of time before Floyd took him out.

The fight was never a starter... Conor had no power... no power = no chance!

You obviously felt, that his punches might carry more weight in those first 3 rounds... so he could get that TKO... but you were wrong! His punches were weak, and completely ineffective!

Conor is a good athlete by UFC standards... but the standard of athleticism in the UFC is not that great. Old man Floyd is a supreme athlete, even at 40... I genuinely felt he could have went another 10 rounds in there easily...

But Conor was fcuked after about 3 or 4 rounds... granted he does come from a different sport. But still, the difference in conditioning was truly shocking!!
    People acting like they are geniuses for saying Floyd would win late in the fight if Conor couldn't manage the TKO are laughable. Sure that was the call of 99.9999999999% of people, including myself. There was nothing profound in suggesting that's how it would pan out.

But you called the TKO inside 3 rounds... lots of people didn't make THAT call... ;)

Plenty of us, did not believe in Conor's "Touch of Death Left"... :pac:

But fair play... you were a believer!! Good for you!

But you were WAY off!! :)
    McGregor took a risk fighting at the pace he did and it didn't pay off.
    There's no shame in that. He landed, slipped and countered some lovely shots in the process and by doing so proved a lot of the naysayers wrong (the ones with their heads up their arses, that had said that he wouldn't land so much as a punch). End of the day a guy fighting in his first ever professional boxing bout, took the fight to Floyd Mayweather, a fighter considered to be one of the greatest boxers of all time (particularly with regards to defense) and not only did he win rounds against him, he landed 111 punches as he did so.

Impressive no matter which way you slice it.

You won't catch me saying, "he won't land a punch"... Any chance you want to retract that allegation? Possibly an apology, too? (wouldn't hurt) :P

McGregor told us he was going to run through Floyd... that his head was too small, and his physique was too weak... that we were mad to think Floyd even had a chance!

And some of you guys clearly swallowed some of that Koolaid...

But the opposite happened... Floyd had more power than Conor, and had stamina to burn... at 40 years old... He walked him down, and knocked him out!

Who said or even suggested there was anything wrong with him trying to get the fcuking fight for one of his fighters :rolleyes:

You'd argue with your own shadow.

The point (and an obvious one) was that he tried to make the McGregor fight himself and yet is now pretending to be offended that Mayweather got it:

https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/901203246928101376

So, again (seeing as you tend to be slow on the uptake): I have no issue with anything De La Hoya said (or was he was attempting to do) in the clip, only with the hypocrisy of him now pretending to be offended on behalf of the sport of boxing.

Seriously, who gives a sh!t...!? :pac:

Oh, wait... bitter MMA fans, that hate boxing!! :p

He's a boxing promoter!! The job requires you to be a greasy slimebag...

Have you ever seen some of the hypocrisy that Dana White gets himself tangled up in...?? He easily puts ODH to shame, with his antics!

But again... who really gives a sh!t either way??

Floyd via KO-TKO
    ThinkProgress, my view is impartial..

If I judged them as two random boxers then I would be judging a different situation...

But if I was judging it that way then neither man would have impressed me at all..

Conor based off his very poor overall technique and fundamentals, and poor conditioning.

Floyd's stamina the only thing that would have impressed me..

What else? His timing was poor, accuracy poor, offence poor, defence was more desperation as opposed to controlled. His attacking on the front foot looked sloppy for large parts of the fight...

So after 5 rds I'd be saying close fight here. The Irish lad looking tired. Can he get a second wind? Oh, doesn't look like it. The American's fitness will see him through here. Irish lad gassed now. Come on, American lad, you should have had that ended in rd 9. Get your accuracy sorted. This Irish lad I could take out now. Finally, you did it, American lad..

I prefer to remember the Floyd of old..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Conor via KO-TKO
    wonder, your view on Conor the boxer from watching him?

Do you still think he would have a chance against quality boxers?

I was of the opinion no way before the fight.. I think that is confirmed for me now..

He shouldn't even try but if he does try he will lose.

I was impressed by a lot of things he did, particularly in the 8th round. It won't get picked up on much but his shoulder roll defence was on point in the mid-rounds, his body work was honestly very accurate.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads if you think McGregor punched well you must have watched a different fight. His technique was atrocious and some of his punches were laughable (flopping an arm out with his other arm hanging by his side).

Conor tried a lot of pretty advanced stuff in this fight. Multiple guard-swipes (most of which missed), switch-steps, his shoulder roll was brilliant at times, body jab was effective, straight left to the body landed plenty, his clinch-break shots were accurate if not powerful.

You literally need to give up watching combat sports if you think his punches were "laughable". He sat down on a lot of them and transferred his weight perfectly into them. Sure, he threw plenty of nothing shots from the arm with no weight into them but a lot of them were thrown to keep Floyd's hands up to work the body.

Honestly the level of delusion required to believe Floyd enjoys being punched in the face and body, and therefore allowed Conor to hit him, is worse than the delusion I had thinking Conor could win a decision! (and that was some grade A delusion!)

I put this together.

The very first sequence illustrates it. He threw 2 nothing punches to keep Floyd's guard high and sat down on his straight left to the body.

The second sequence is a beautiful switch-step around the clinch to land the combination. No power behind it but accurate and it takes some Class A bitterness not to acknowledge that was a slick sequence.

At 0:41 there's an example of one his many successful shoulder roll defences to deflect Floyd's left.
    1:05 more nothing-shots to keep his guard high and then sits down on the body shot.
    1:10 we see the speed difference. It wasn't massive.
    1:20 - 2 shots with no power to try split the guard, when that didn't work he tried the Loma' guard swipe.

I'm not for one moment suggesting he a devastating jab or straight left to the body but I guarantee those shots sting big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Floyd via DQ
    Oh, and Marciano breaks Floyd in half in a boxing match..

Yeh, he's a HW, blah blah blah...

Not even sure why Rocky's record is being brought into it..

That record is reserved for HWs..

The whole point of the 49-0 nonsense is the pathetic attempt to diminish Mayweather's record. The record formally held by Marciano. You can't talk about the record without mentioning Marciano. The only reason he belongs in the same sentence as Mayweather'

Marciano was an overrated boxer he fought fck all in one of the weakest eras of heavyweight boxing. The guys weren't even heavy weights.
    Marciano was 5ft 11, 190 pounds. He would be absolutely smashed by Liston, Ali, Fraizer, Foreman, Shavers, Tyson, Lewis, Both Klitschko' and Joshua to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Floyd via DQ

Some decent skills there to be fair. Nice body shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The whole point of the 49-0 nonsense is the pathetic attempt to diminish Mayweather's record. The record formally held by Marciano. You can't talk about the record without mentioning Marciano. The only reason he belongs in the same sentence as Mayweather'

Marciano was an overrated boxer he fought fck all in one of the weakest eras of heavyweight boxing. The guys weren't even heavy weights.
    Marciano was 5ft 11, 190 pounds. He would be absolutely smashed by Liston, Ali, Fraizer, Foreman, Shavers, Tyson, Lewis, Both Klitschko' and Joshua to name a few

Dunno how you can say Marciano would be smashed by some of those guys, particularly the one's who were a similar height to him. Hyperbole, like saying he'd be smashed, rarely plays out in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Conor is a good athlete by UFC standards... but the standard of athleticism in the UFC is not that great.

What a stupid thing to say.

What are you basing that on?

Floyd via DQ
    mdwexford wrote: »

So were you impressed with how he performed physically, against a much older man??

The older athlete had more power, stamina, speed etc

Boxing and MMA are different, obviously... but still, Conor does throw punches for a living... he is predominantly a stand-up fighter. Conor is considered one of the best athletes in MMA...

So should the gulf in athleticism be that wide, between him and 40 year old Floyd??

Floyd via DQ
    You literally need to give up watching combat sports if you think his punches were "laughable". He sat down on a lot of them and transferred his weight perfectly into them. Sure, he threw plenty of nothing shots from the arm with no weight into them but a lot of them were thrown to keep Floyd's hands up to work the body.

He had no power!!

His shots never hurt Floyd... that's why Floyd showed zero respect, and just walked him down!

He was in there to score a KO/TKO... which he had no ability to pull off.

Also, you said yourself that Floyd gave away those first 3 rounds... so if we go by the official judges scorecards: (9-1, 9-1, 7-3)... without any gifted rounds, how would Conor win any rounds on those scorecards solely off his own work??
    Honestly the level of delusion required to believe Floyd enjoys being punched in the face and body, and therefore allowed Conor to hit him, is worse than the delusion I had thinking Conor could win a decision! (and that was some grade A delusion!)

Don't undersell yourself... you had more delusions than that. ;)

Floyd won this fight comfortably. The scorecards show this... and the later rounds show this too! And the stoppage definitely shows it.

What argument are you attempting to build here?

And after all your delusions, what makes you think that your opinions should be given much credence by anyone? Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to express your opinions... but the logic is fairly sketchy at times! (or non existent)

Do you even know yourself, when you are typing something out... if it's a delusion or not?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

My own thoughts on the fight...

McGregor did a little better than I expected.He caught Floyd a lovely uppercut early although the purchase on the shot wasn't huge and he also showed a pretty solid chin and some nice footwork for his first time boxing at any kind of high level. He did look clueless on the inside and this supposed power he was going to show just didn't materialise through a combination of lack of technique and fighting an elevated level of (boxing) opponent than he would be used to in MMA.

Rounds 1 and 2 he won on output...Floyd was happy to back up and tuck up while taking a look at what was on offer. Round 3 Floyd left his hands go a little and the fight started to take a pattern. McGregor was starting to gas now big time.

This might be controversial but I felt Mayweather carried him through some of the rounds from 4-8. I felt he could have gotten him out of there from round 4 on personally. That's not a dig at McGregor but just what I feel was the obvious gap in boxing ability and experience between the two men.

While I respect McGregor's effort and commitment to the fight and he had a moment or two certainly, it was not any kind of a competitive contest in my eyes.

I thought his corner showed their lack of boxing experience by not pulling him out at the end of the 9th. He had no chance of winning and was being picked apart and was exhausted. The ref did him a favour with the stoppage because two or three more shots could have hurt him badly imo. Maybe against a bigger puncher they would have pulled him out, who knows.

I don't think in terms of winning titles or beating high class opponents he has any future in boxing but he is a huge attraction and may command a good payday against the right opponent.

Still the man is up $100m and fair play to him...I don't think he'll ever get that payday again in boxing or MMA so hope he enjoys it and goes back to being the top dog in UFC.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    rebelomar wrote: »
    The ref did him a favour with the stoppage because two or three more shots could have hurt him badly imo. Maybe against a bigger puncher they would have pulled him out, who knows.

Against a bigger puncher (with any decent level of accuracy) he would have been out of there in a rd or two. No need for his corner to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    But again... who really gives a sh!t either way??

Oh give me a fcuking break. Had a boxing forum regular on here said that De La Hoya was full of it when he claimed Mayweather & McGregor were "disrespecting the sport of boxing" given that he himself had tried to get the fight for one of his own fighters.......... you'd most likely have thanked their post. You're just nit picking and saying "Who really gives a sh!t, who really gives a sh!t" over and over given that it was me that said it, as it's quite clear you have a chip on your shoulder given that I called you out on talking out your arse.
    And after all your delusions, what makes you think that your opinions should be given much credence by anyone?

Says the guy who claimed:
    The fact you actually think Conor has a chance to win round(s) on the scorecard, shows how little you actually understand about the sport... it's actually funny to read.

Pot. Kettle.

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I'm not feeling the love today, guys. What's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    Watched it back last night .

Floyd was even worse than i originally thought . He was lucky he was in there with a novice .

Conor gassed even earlier than i thought .

Floyd via DQ
    Oh give me a fcuking break. Had a boxing forum regular on here said that De La Hoya was full of it when he claimed Mayweather & McGregor were "disrespecting the sport of boxing" given that he himself had tried to get the fight for one of his own fighters.......... you'd most likely have thanked their post. You're just nit picking and saying "Who really gives a sh!t, who really gives a sh!t" over and over given that it was me that said it, as it's quite clear you have a chip on your shoulder given that I called you out on talking out your arse.

lol... fcuk, you really DO give a sh!t don't you...??

Some fight promoter... being a promoter... and you are losing your sh!t all over again!! :pac::pac:

How do those lemons taste?? :p
    Pot. Kettle.

(9-1, 9-1, 7-3)

Best case scenario, he won 3 rounds... but possibly only one.... against a guy who admitted he was trying to let Conor punch himself out early! (which he did)

Which judge will we go with...??

Personally, I want to be fair to both Conor and Floyd... so I will not say, that those early rounds were 100% down to Floyd's gameplan!

Conor played his part too, in making those early 2 or 3 rounds competitive... so hats off to him!

But in the grand scheme of things... it really only accelerated his demise! He had nothing left after those early efforts!

Btw, I have already held my hands up and admitted that I was wide of the mark... I have absolutely no problem admitting that. He bagged a couple of early rounds...I was wrong... fair play to the kid.

You on the other hand.... :rolleyes:

Now, back to your big TKO prediction:
    He wins by TKO in the first three or he gets a boxing clinic if it goes past that stage.

It was NEVER a realistic possibility, against a top pro boxer like Floyd... so you were very wide of the mark in your assessment/prediction in this fight!

But look, don't beat yourself up too much about it...

So you believed in Conor's "touch of death left".... you drank the Koolaid a little bit there! It happens...

It's not the end of the world... you had plenty of company in that delusion! ;)

It's not like you were predicting Conor to outbox Floyd or anything!! :D

We can keep going around in circles like this, if you want.... or we can both move on, and stop boring the rest of the forum with this nonsense!?

Your choice... I would rather not keep dragging this stuff back up for you, and we can both just act like mature adults?

Floyd via KO-TKO

Personally, I want to be fair to both Conor and Floyd... so I will not say, that those early rounds were 100% down to Floyd's gameplan!

Conor played his part too, in making those early 2 or 3 rounds competitive... so hats off to him!

I think that's a fair assessment. I'd personally go a little stronger in crediting Conor on this. I think he kind of "shutdown" Floyd for a period of time in that 12-15 minutes of action from 1-5.

Conor's height, reach (which I initially thought shouldn't have bothered Floyd), willingness, confidence, commitment, effort and work rate on offence all played as much part, for me, as Floyd supposedly doing nothing for 9 minutes or so.

Rd 4 Floyd got to work, but he was still met with resistance and fire. He did not really show a clear win in rd 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    Some fight promoter... being a promoter... and you are losing your sh!t all over again!! :pac::pac:

How am I "losing my shit" just by pointing that De La Hoya was being disingenuous?

As for the DLH just doing what a promoter should be doing...... Wonder addressed that with the following:
    I think de la Hoya is taking the wrong promotional approach constantly slating the fight, it's coming across petty and bitter.

And I totally agree with him, sorry if that goes against the 'Who gives a shit' narrative you're trying to push.
    So you believed in Conor's "touch of death left".... you drank the Koolaid a little bit there! It happens...

Eh, what are you on about now? The "touch of death left"? Where did you pluck that quote from? Your arse?
    Now, back to your big TKO prediction:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me:
    If I wasn't a McGregor fan, I'd be all over Mayweather by TKO @ roughly 5/2 on Betfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Floyd via DQ
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Conor is a good athlete by UFC standards... but the standard of athleticism in the UFC is not that great.

I think he is spot on with his comments, Most Americans who are super athletes compete in NBA,NFL,BOXING and other such sports first, These guys are twice the athletes of UFC fighter and that's just a fact,
    The wrestlers are the only real super athletes in UFC,
    I'm not knocking it but its just a fact, sure look at Conor said himself he never really took any sport serious until he was in his 20's , No way you make it in the other sports mentioned if you only take them serious at 20 , them other guys are training to be elite since early teens ,
    Now UFC and MMA is a younger sports so it'll take time to get kids who have been dedicated since a young age to come up ,.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Now UFC and MMA is a younger sports so it'll take time to get kids who have been dedicated since a young age to come up ,.

Yup, the greats of 10-15 years ago would get destroyed by the newer crop these days. If you look back at the Lidells, Ortizs etc they're so sloppy.

We are starting to see MMA lifers come through now though. ie have been doing MMA since they were kids, not wrestlers or BJJ guys who took it up in the late teens/early 20s. .

Still a horrific problem with PEDs in the sport though. Awful for the legitimacy of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

From a marketing/promotion point of view, Corona must be delighted. Their card-girls featured prominently in every event related to this circus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

So were you impressed with how he performed physically, against a much older man??

The older athlete had more power, stamina, speed etc

Boxing and MMA are different, obviously... but still, Conor does throw punches for a living... he is predominantly a stand-up fighter. Conor is considered one of the best athletes in MMA...

So should the gulf in athleticism be that wide, between him and 40 year old Floyd??

So you are basing the fitness of the entire UFC on one person, solid sample size.

Conor has a history of gassing and it was a known issue before this fight. He's pretty far from the best athlete in the UFC.

Advertisement