Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Any one know the reason Mayweather done his walk out wearing a balaclava? Did he or McGregor say anything about it since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ
    Basically to symbolise him robbing the bank/robbing everyone blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Mellor wrote: »
    Right, so saying it's "heavier to carry" makes no sense in this context.
    Even if they were the same weight it would be make no sense. 175lbs is 175lbs. But DC is 50lbs bigger. He is carrying around more of everything.

One reason he has better cardio is because his output is a lot lower. A better example would be Cain Velasquez. Heavyweight, ridiculous output. Shame he's always injured.

While we're on the topic. Muscle is not 4 times denser/heavier than fat. It's slightly more, maybe 10%. This kind of pictures, are fake. Carrying around 1 kg of fat is just as hard as 1 kg of muscle, muscle improves cardio ability as it stores glycogen. Do don't see many fat elite runners for good reason.

Eh what? Muscles also use glycogen, even when they're not needed, and the bigger they are the more they use. You don't see many fat elite runners because you don't see many fat athletes at all, but if you got Mo Farah to put on an extra 10lbs of muscle he'd go from being front of the pack to dead last.

You need to get over the "heavier to carry" remark I made. I was responding directly to someone who was comparing McGregor and DC's physical appearance. Having a high bf% is not as damaging to endurance as having too much muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    marcus001 wrote: »
    if you got Mo Farah to put on an extra 10lbs of muscle he'd go from being front of the pack to dead last.

Which is the exact point I made;
    Mellor wrote:
    If an elite marathon runner decided to bulk up and added 20kg of muscle. His elite status would disappear.

You need to get over the "heavier to carry" remark I made. I was responding directly to someone who was comparing McGregor and DC's physical appearance. Having a high bf% is not as damaging to endurance as having too much muscle.
    I "over" the remark. It's wrong, but it's not bothering me.

I understand you were comparing their appearance. That what made it so bizarre. Daniel Cormier is 225lbs+. Regardless of the density remark - he's carrying around much more muscle...and a pile of fat on top.

I've no idea why you think excess fat is not as damning to endurance. Put on a light weight vest and go for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

No not at all basing it off one guy,
    Just the top end athletes don't take it up there's more money to be made in other sports,
    Example Jon Jones the least athletic of 3 brother's , the other two are in the NFL and just bottom tire, hes stated many time they where both far more athletically gifted than him .,

People take up sports when they are young, before they become top end athletes.

The fitness levels in the UFC are obviously very high level. Certain fighters will be higher than others.

Comparing fitness levels across sports is impossible anyway.

I doubt JJ is the least athletic of his brothers tbh. Even if he was it still proves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Conor via DQ
    Any one know the reason Mayweather done his walk out wearing a balaclava? Did he or McGregor say anything about it since?

I thought it was a gimp mask

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

mdwexford wrote: »
    People take up sports when they are young, before they become top end athletes.

The fitness levels in the UFC are obviously very high level. Certain fighters will be higher than others.

Comparing fitness levels across sports is impossible anyway.

I doubt JJ is the least athletic of his brothers tbh. Even if he was it still proves nothing.

That line backer brother is pretty fat and always injured so I'd say JJ would beat him on the auld bleep test.

Draw
    Lukker- wrote: »
    That line backer brother is pretty fat and always injured so I'd say JJ would beat him on the auld bleep test.
    The other brother is even fatter. Obviously he's a defensive tackle so weight is part of the position. But athletic gifted? Nah.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Arthur_Jones_(American_football).JPG/220px-Arthur_Jones_(American_football).JPG

Which is the exact point I made;

I "over" the remark. It's wrong, but it's not bothering me.

I understand you were comparing their appearance. That what made it so bizarre. Daniel Cormier is 225lbs+. Regardless of the density remark - he's carrying around much more muscle...and a pile of fat on top.

I've no idea why you think excess fat is not as damning to endurance. Put on a light weight vest and go for a run.

Because fat is just dead weight, muscle is also using energy by itself as well as weighing you down. There's a reason the ideal body type for endurance is always having as little muscle as possible. Long distance runners only have enough muscle to support their skeletal system. In most sports there needs to be a trade off between muscle mass for strength and power and light weight, energy efficient frame for endurance. My argument is that Conor has too much muscle and it saps his energy.

Because fat is just dead weight, muscle is also using energy by itself as well as weighing you down. There's a reason the ideal body type for endurance is always having as little muscle as possible. Long distance runners only have enough muscle to support their skeletal system. In most sports there needs to be a trade off between muscle mass for strength and power and light weight, energy efficient frame for endurance. My argument is that Conor has too much muscle and it saps his energy.

The laws of motion come into it though. If Conor drops muscle and stays fighting at 155 and is punching people 10-15 pounds heavier than himself he's going to have trouble dropping them regardless of how much he puts on his punches. Right now I would say he's an average sized lightweight.

• Advertisement

The laws of motion come into it though. If Conor drops muscle and stays fighting at 155 and is punching people 10-15 pounds heavier than himself he's going to have trouble dropping them regardless of how much he puts on his punches. Right now I would say he's an average sized lightweight.

Depends on the fight he's preparing for. He's not going to KO Nate Diaz and he needs to avoid gassing out.

Depends on the fight he's preparing for. He's not going to KO Nate Diaz and he needs to avoid gassing out.

I think he could TKO Nate no problem if he dropped him and followed up with a ground attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Floyd via DQ

He could with a head kick but not sure if he's capable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    I think he could TKO Nate no problem if he dropped him and followed up with a ground attack.

He's fought Nate twice and a TKO never looked likely. If he goes to ground with Diaz he loses so I doubt that would be in his plan. Stand and run worked , to a degree, in the rematch so I imagine it would be a similar plan if 3 ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    But he never really got to (or showed a want to) follow up with more power shots. Doing it with one or two shots is unlikely, but if Conor got 4-5 shots in quick succession via punches or kicks he could end it. Diaz is tough, but not near undentable. Conor's punches have real impact on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I have never in my entire life heard of an athlete having too much muscle and not enough fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Conor via DQ
    I have never in my entire life heard of an athlete having too much muscle and not enough fat.

too much muscle is definitely a big thing, especially in a sport where speed/endurance is crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Depp wrote: »
    too much muscle is definitely a big thing, especially in a sport where speed/endurance is crucial

Just look at Chris Froome.tour-de-france-champ-chris-froome-rammed-on-purpose-by-an-impatient-driver-in-hit-and-run.jpg

Draw
    There's a reason the ideal body type for endurance is always having as little muscle as possible. Long distance runners only have enough muscle to support their skeletal system.
    They also don't carry any excess fat. Which lines up with what I said, not your arguement.
    Moving weight requires the energy. Fat is no better than muscle.

[/quote]In most sports there needs to be a trade off between muscle mass for strength and power and light weight, energy efficient frame for endurance. My argument is that Conor has too much muscle and it saps his energy.[/quote]
    So Conor has too much muscle compared to this guy;

DanielCormierFeature7.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac:

There's no issue with saying muscle affects stamina. It's the fact you were saying it in comparison to DC, who has muscle than Conor. Do you really not see the contradiction?

Ush1 wrote: »
    He could with a head kick but not sure if he's capable of that.

Regardless of whether he can or not a finish should not be part plan A for this one.

• Advertisement

They also don't carry any excess fat. Which lines up with what I said, not your arguement.

In most sports there needs to be a trade off between muscle mass for strength and power and light weight, energy efficient frame for endurance. My argument is that Conor has too much muscle and it saps his energy.
    So Conor has too much muscle compared to this guy;

DanielCormierFeature7.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac:

There's no issue with saying muscle affects stamina. It's the fact you were saying it in comparison to DC, who has muscle than Conor. Do you really not see the contradiction?

Your troll tier posting style isn't really worthy of a response but for argument sake...

Body composition is only one element. They're different people. DC has better stamina because he's a veteran Olympic wrestler. He has trained at that size all his life. His body has adapted to perform at that size. Conor stepped into the octagon at 170 for Diaz 1 and it was probably the heaviest he'd ever been.

Draw
    Body composition is only one element. They're different people. DC has better stamina because he's a veteran Olympic wrestler. He has trained at that size all his life. His body has adapted to perform at that size. Conor stepped into the octagon at 170 for Diaz 1 and it was probably the heaviest he'd ever been.
    I'm aware they are different people. I'm also aware of the actual reasons they have different performances.

You said Conor is carrying more muscle, that's ludicrous regardless of what other factors are at play. What body composition advantages does DC have?
    Obviously it's easier to call me a troll than admit you're talking pony.

I'm aware they are different people. I'm also aware of the actual reasons they have different performances.

You said Conor is carrying more muscle, that's ludicrous regardless of what other factors are at play. What body composition advantages does DC have?
    Obviously it's easier to call me a troll than admit you're talking pony.

I never said Conor had more muscle than DC. I said he was carrying too much muscle for his own physiology.

DCs advantage is that he trained as a wrestler looking like this https://goo.gl/images/hqAeRJ

He competed in the Olympics at 90kg. His muscles have adapted to perform at that size through capillarisation which takes years of aerobic exercise to build up. His muscles are bigger but they're also more efficient because he has put them through Olympic wrestler level conditioning. I would say the fact that he's a wrestler is why he's better conditioned full stop. Boxers tend to fight smaller than MMA fighters whereas wrestlers fight bigger. Their conditioning would probably improve when they make the drop to fight in MMA.

If Conor had trained at 170 all his life he could probably fight at 170 because he would have built up the capillary density to ferry oxygen to his muscles faster than they could burn energy. When you increase their size their capacity to burn energy is increased without an equivalent increase in oxygen flow. Hence his body turns to jelly unless he keeps a much lower pace than he can sustain at a lower body weight.

Really, what is the issue here? What are we at odds over?

Draw
    Its mad the way McGregor is shredded yet gases so easily . Yet DC is fat and can go 5 rounds easy enough . Endurance is a crazy thing.
    Muscle uses more energy than fat, it's also heavier to carry, so not actually surprising at all.
    I was responding directly to someone who was comparing McGregor and DC's physical appearance. Having a high bf% is not as damaging to endurance as having too much muscle.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

So you ignore the 2-3 paragraph answer in favour of the one liner I probably typed on the ****ter a few days ago. :rolleyes:

You're just a petty point scorer, a dime a dozen on boards.

I actually missed this bit. Bit rich to throw the phrase talking pony around when you clearly don't know much about exercise physiology.

Which uses more petrol, the A/C unit in a car which weights 20kg and is switched on while driving or a 20kg suitcase in the boot?

Draw
    So you ignore the 2-3 paragraph answer in favour of the one liner I probably typed on the ****ter a few days ago. :rolleyes:
    That's the only post I disagreed with.
    My initial reply was that fat isn't heavier than muscle, and most importantly DC is carrying of both - which makes it obvious that it's not the reason.

Posting paragraphs of alternative reasons why DC has is all well and good, I don't disagree with those being factors, but it's completely at odds with the initial post I actually disagreed with. What you are saying now, doesn't match what you said. If you are conceding that your "sh*tter comment" was badly phrase/incorrect, then where's the issue?
    Or are you insisting it was, in isolation, accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Floyd via DQ
    All Access Episode 5. The Epilogue
    Behind the scenes footage, New camera angles and audio, New corner and ringside audio.

My two takeaways from the fight were two massive disappointments.

1) McGregor's power - He did a bit of boxing when he was younger, he strikes, he's got a stone. Surely he can do something. Not at all. He landed more than most people because Mayweather was laughing through it all. I made a comparison before the fight that I'd fancy a Rugby League player against Mayweather compared to his chances. I was half serious but it turns out I was right.

2) Mayweather's power - He was teeing off and couldn't knock out a novice. I don't know if it's age or retirement but the little bit of power he had is now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

1) McGregor's power - He did a bit of boxing when he was younger, he strikes, he's got a stone. Surely he can do something. Not at all. He landed more than most people because Mayweather was laughing through it all. I made a comparison before the fight that I'd fancy a Rugby League player against Mayweather compared to his chances. I was half serious but it turns out I was right.

2) Mayweather's power - He was teeing off and couldn't knock out a novice. I don't know if it's age or retirement but the little bit of power he had is now gone.

So you really Think a rugby player would do better against Floyd than Conor

Thank God you've seen the light Walsh, this how you used to sound!

Advertisement