Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

So you really Think a rugby player would do better against Floyd than Conor

Thank God you've seen the light Walsh, this how you used to sound!
    If we're allowing a massive weight difference then yes. I thought McGregor had a shout with a lucky thump, but he didn't even. a 230 pound Rugby player would at least have that tiny chance that a lucky punch would land, he didn't even have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Floyd via DQ
    It comes down to this:
    Mayweathers plan was to walk conor down let him punch himself out as he knew conor had nor the power or the skill to worry him.
    Did his plan work? 100%

Conors plan was to knock flyod out within 4 rounds? Or was it 1 round with the 8oz gloves?
    Did that work? 0%

Ive watched every mayweather fight since hatton and he has never been the aggressor the way he was against conor so he won fighting a way he doesnt fight.
    If he fought his defensive style that has taken the mickey out of the best boxers this world has seen in last 20 years then it would of been a very long night for conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    If he fought his defensive style that has taken the mickey out of the best boxers this world has seen in last 20 years then it would of been a very long night for conor.

How would it have been a long night for Conor?

Also, would Floyd have simply won the rds for defense alone? What kind of offence do you think he would have shown whilst boxing defensively against the taller and rangier Conor?

All we do know is that for the first 3 rds the defensive Floyd was doing "nothing" to win...or whatever he was doing wasn't winning.

You reckon had he kept his usual sit back defensive moving back approach it would have been a long night for Conor, but a losing night?

Would Floyd have figured Conor out and beat him from a defensive shell type strategy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    walshb wrote: »
    How would it have been a long night for Conor?

Also, would Floyd have simply won the rds for defense alone? What kind of offence do you think he would have shown whilst boxing defensively against the taller and rangier Conor?

All we do know is that for the first 3 rds the defensive Floyd was doing "nothing" to win...or whatever he was doing wasn't winning.

You reckon had he kept his usual sit back defensive moving back approach it would have been a long night for Conor, but a losing night?

Would Floyd have figured Conor out and beat him from a defensive shell type strategy?

Yes

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yes

That would depend on how Conor chose to be offensive, and how effective Floyd's defence would be, well as his offense to actually counter and win.

All we have are the first three rds and I thought Floyd lost them all. He then became the aggressor and got the win.

Simply saying had Floyd stuck to his usual defensive kind of mode fighting that it becomes a long night for Conor? What does that even mean, apart from the fight maybe lasting 12 rds..

Floyd won because he went out and got the win by pressing the pace and action from rd 5 to 10.

Was it a case of him saying that this is the way I will give myself a chance to win, as I am 3/4 rds down when boxing negatively/defensively?

• Advertisement

Conor on points
    That would depend on how Conor chose to be offensive, and how effective Floyd's defence would be, well as his offense to actually counter and win.

All we have are the first three rds and I thought Floyd lost them all. He then became the aggressor and got the win.

Simply saying had Floyd stuck to his usual defensive kind of mode fighting that it becomes a long night for Conor? What does that even mean, apart from the fight maybe lasting 12 rds..

Floyd won because he went out and got the win by pressing the pace and action from rd 5 to 10.

Was it a case of him saying that this is the way I will give myself a chance to win, as I am 3/4 rds down when boxing negatively/defensively?

I think you are reading too much into the fight . It was clear the fight wasnt lasting at the start of the 3rd. Watch All Access you see Floyd laughing saying he will start going to work now .

Between the 8 and 9th round an official asks Conors corner to throw in the towel.

The whole thing was more of a show than a legit boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Between the 8 and 9th round an official asks Conors corner to throw in the towel.

Any clip of that? I thought throwing a towel or anything in to the ring is illegal and that's why fights get stopped. There's nothing in any rule book about throwing towels in so it wouldn't be great pracrice for an official to encourage it.

And Conor arguably win round 8 so I doubt if it happened it was between 8/9

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Vol Index

Any clip of that? I thought throwing a towel or anything in to the ring is illegal and that's why fights get stopped. There's nothing in any rule book about throwing towels in so it wouldn't be great pracrice for an official to encourage it.

That's normal procedure, your corner throws in their towel if they want the ref to stop the fight, have you ever watched a boxing match before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Vol Index wrote: »
    That's normal procedure, your corner throws in their towel if they want the ref to stop the fight, have you ever watched a boxing match before?

It's the procedure for MMA too. Rarely happens though

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Yes

Thankyou some sane men left on boards.ie watch the recent ufc embedded episode on youtube it shows fights from both mens corners and from the first round floyd senior says he gonna tire and to press him and tire.
    If people cant see that mayweather let mcgregor punch himself out then i dont know what to say anymore to be honest.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I think you are reading too much into the fight . It was clear the fight wasnt lasting at the start of the 3rd. Watch All Access you see Floyd laughing saying he will start going to work now .

The whole thing was more of a show than a legit boxing match.

I am well aware Floyd went out and pressed. The post you are quoting from me is me debating Floyd in his usual defensive shell type strategy. How would that have played out...? the poster said it would have been a long night for Conor. So I asked how. Plus, had Floyd decided to continue his defensive type strategy ala rds 1-3, would Conor still have tired at the same rate as he did?

In the 3 rds we have where Floyd is quite cautious and defensive and offensively "lazy," he lost those 1st 3 rds..

What was so clear at the start of rd 3 that the fight was not lasting? I have to say I didn't see anything very obvious.

I picked Floyd to win no matter what strategy he chose. I just can't say for sure what would have happened had he stayed defensive and cautious, as the poster wondered.

All you did was answer yes relating to Floyd figuring out and winning whilst fighting defensively. Ignoring giving reasons. Ignoring his losing the first three rds when in a defensive/cautious approach.

Floyd via DQ
    I am well aware Floyd went out and pressed. The post you are quoting from me is me debating Floyd in his usual defensive shell type strategy. How would that have played out...? the poster said it would have been a long night for Conor. So I asked how. Plus, had Floyd decided to continue his defensive type strategy ala rds 1-3, would Conor still have tired at the same rate as he did?

In the 3 rds we have where Floyd is quite cautious and defensive and offensively "lazy," he lost those 1st 3 rds..

What was so clear at the start of rd 3 that the fight was not lasting? I have to say I didn't see anything very obvious.

I picked Floyd to win no matter what strategy he chose. I just can't say for sure what would have happened had he stayed defensive and cautious, as the poster wondered.

All you did was answer yes relating to Floyd figuring out and winning whilst fighting defensively. Ignoring giving reasons. Ignoring his losing the first three rds when in a defensive/cautious approach.

Floyd was never defensive though? He just walked to him with hands up from the start?

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd was never defensive though? He just walked to him with hands up from the start?

Well, he was for the first theee rds.

Plus, you claimed, or seemed to claim that it would have been a long night for Conor had Floyd chosen his more usual defensive strategy. I was debating/questioning this claim.

We know what happened. I thought we were more discussing what would or could have happened had Floyd used the strategy you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I don't think Mayweather took 3 rounds to figure McGregor out.

I think he went in with the plan to let McGregor unload for a few rounds and already knew McGregor didn't have punching power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Well, he was for the first theee rds.

Plus, you claimed, or seemed to claim that it would have been a long night for Conor had Floyd chosen his more usual defensive strategy. I was debating/questioning this claim.

We know what happened. I thought we were more discussing what would or could have happened had Floyd used the strategy you mentioned.

Man, you're talking pure and utter sh!te. He wasn't defensive by his usual standards in the first 3 rounds. He was conservative while being offensive/walking forward, pretty much open. Big difference, unless you've never seen him fight before? He pretty much said this would happen before the fight even started, to make it semi-interesting for the fans. Trying to argue Floyd was his usual defensive self in the first 3 rounds, or at any point in the fight, just shows a huge lack of knowledge.

And what do you mean how would Floyd fighting defensive against Conor play out? How did any fight he fought defensive play out? How did any fight he fought defensive against a bigger guy play out? If Floyd took the fight seriously and went into his defensive shell, Conor wouldn't have landed a punch. Floyd would have struck more in the first 3 rounds, with clinical counter attacking punches to a wide open target. Those punches wouldn't be enough to KO a top boxer, but enough to "gas" and wobble Conor and finish it in a few rounds. As many have said earlier, Floyd didn't get out of first gear and tried to make it interesting for the fans, anyone trying to argue otherwise simply doesn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    Vol Index wrote: »
    It's an old custom but technically it's against the rules (as that poster said). And most importantly it doesn't actually stop the fight. only the ref has that power. Which makes your snarky "have you ever..." comment kinda ironic.

Cotto v Foreman (2010):
    Foreman slipped and injured his knee, leading to his corner to throw in the towel in the 8th. The ref, Arthur Mercante, threw the towel back out, the fight continued, Cotto winning by TKO in the 9th.

Vol Index wrote:

Yes! Obviously I know about throwing in the towel, but I find it hard to believe an official advised them to throw in a towel, especially between round 8 an 9 as Conor arguably won round 8!

No clip or proof anyway so I presume you imagined it or just talking pure poo

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Man, you're talking pure and utter sh!te. He wasn't defensive by his usual standards in the first 3 rounds.

I see. He wasn't defensive by his usual standards. Well, all I claimed was his being defensive/cautious for the first three rds. I never mentioned "usual standards" nonsense. Utter sh1te all right, and coming from your gob!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I see. He wasn't defensive by his usual standards. Well, all I claimed was his being defensive/cautious for the first three rds. I never mentioned "usual standards" nonsense. Utter sh1te all right, and coming from your gob!

You were replying to a post saying Floyd wasn't fighting defensive, I'll assume you're smart enough to realise the context was by his usual standards. But going by your previous posts in the thread then maybe I'm wrong, as you're continually rating Conor's performance against this being a serious bout, not an exhibition one in all but name, where he was up against Floyd giving it his best. Everyone can see it, so there's not much point continuing to backtrack with semantics

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    You were replying to a post saying Floyd wasn't fighting defensive, I'll assume you're smart enough to realise the context was by his usual standards. But going by your previous posts in the thread then maybe I'm wrong, as you're continually rating Conor's performance against this being a serious bout, not an exhibition one in all but name, where he was up against Floyd giving it his best. Everyone can see it, so there's not much point continuing to backtrack with semantics

Whatever.

Read back to what I was replying to. I don't make silly mistakes, and if I did I would admit and correct them...

You will see that you got the wrong end of the stick here, and went off on a little rant....

In case anyone is in doubt, Floyd fought what any half brained fight fan would call a defensive strategy/approach for the first 2-3 rds. In doing that he lost all 3 on my card....

He then decided to be more proactive and aggressive and initiating. He then continued this strategy for the next 6-7 rds, resulting in the TKO win...

If someone saw something else, good luck to them!

Conor on points
    I genuinely cant remember well but at the start of round 1 did Floyd not back up on the ropes to let Conor unload on him without landing anything and without really throwing back ?

It was quite clear he was letting him punch himself out . Call it defensive if you wish .

I'll have to watch it again

Floyd via KO-TKO
    It was quite clear he was letting him punch himself out . Call it defensive if you wish .

Yes, that is defensive. It's clear. Black and White. He defended against Conor's offense.

The issue is saying right that at rd 1 and a few seconds in he "was letting Conor punch himself out."

That seems an odd thing to say. Floyd was also offensive in rds 1, 2 and 3. He lost all three.

The discussions are did he deliberately lose them? I don't think he set out to actually lose them. He may have set out to take it easy on offence and to size Conor up, be careful, but to deliberately go 30-27 down is not at all clear.

I have watched the rds a few times. It seems to me that in that moment of time Conor got the better of him in those rds fair and square.

Now, let's say they were to fight again and it was 3 pro rds, and not 12. I would still back Floyd, but it sure would be interesting when you consider what we say in the first 3 rds last week, added to the fact that Floyd is not and never was a killer type fighter.

Conor on points
    Yes, that is defensive. It's clear. Black and White. He defended against Conor's offense.

You've watched it more than me so you know better . However it was clear enough that he allowed Conor blow himself out knowing he couldnt hurt him in anyway and then knock him out no ?

Im sure he didnt know his own timing would be awful though . Really awful.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    You've watched it more than me so you know better . However it was clear enough that he allowed Conor blow himself out knowing he couldnt hurt him in anyway and then knock him out no ?

As the rds progressed Floyd would have had a strong inkling that Conor was going to suffer with fatigue. But he couldn't have known for sure.

My view on Floyd's thinking/plan:

He deliberately went out cautious and careful and decided to test Conor's offense and power. He came back after rd 3 knowing that he may have lost them, as well as realising that Conor is pretty handy and effective, but not hitting hard enough. Floyd then stepped up his offensive output and pace and went to work. He clawed back rds, but was still made work hard for them. He must then have realised that Conor was tiring more clearly and that if he pushed on he would get the stoppage. He did push on, but again, made work hard for the rds.

Regarding his timing and overall performance. I think it's a little too convenient to make out he was pretty awful. I did at first, but when I re-watched it I saw that he was not near as poor as I initially thought, and that he was faced with a competitor who was fighting hard and effectively, as well as being big and kind of awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Floyd via DQ

Watch the moment where he smiles at the end of round 3 . That to me seemed to be an indication he had figured Conor out and knew he had taken his best offense without being remotely hurt. What no one seems to take into account is that Floyd had done sod all sparring in the lead up to the fight and he was rutsy from being out for two years. I am not sure he let Conor win the first three rounds, more so the case that Floyd was hit with punches he would have avoided in the past.
    A good boxer would have beaten Floyd that night- that's probably why we won't see him in the ring again.

Conor on points
    I have to disagree on the last part . I remember watching it thinking thank god he retired when he did.

However 2 years out and then not really sparring or hitting pads what did he expect .

Like Rory picking up his clubs after 2 years and going for a round. He was just blessed he was in there with someone who was a novice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Draw

Like Rory picking up his clubs after 2 years and going for a round. He was just blessed he was in there with someone who was a novice

I wouldn't have thought so.
    It's only one less fight in 2 years than most champions have.
    McIlroy would would be in comps a lot of weeks all year long.

Conor on points
    blade1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so.
    It's only one less fight in 2 years than most champions have.
    McIlroy would would be in comps a lot of weeks all year long.

Its not like other champions . He was retired . Wasnt sparring and wasnt on the pads . Doing nothing boxing related only travelling the world and spending obscene money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Floyd via DQ
    I have to disagree on the last part . I remember watching it thinking thank god he retired when he did.

However 2 years out and then not really sparring or hitting pads what did he expect .

True. That's why I don't see the win as anything to crow about. If he had beaten the likes of Canelo to go 50 and 0 that would be something to gloat above.

Advertisement