Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    Most people know "that disrespecting the sport of boxing" is not the real reason why De La Hoya opposed the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Floyd via DQ
    If I heard it right then I believe 2 judges had it 8-1 floyd

Just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    wonder, your view on Conor the boxer from watching him?

Do you still think he would have a chance against quality boxers?

I was of the opinion no way before the fight.. I think that is confirmed for me now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    I just want to say one more thing about this fight.

I think most fair people agree that Floyd coasted through the first 3 rounds to suss out what Conor had to offer before turning up the gas from round 4 onwards where he genuinely looked to walk Conor down and finish him. He virtually conceded the opening the 3 rounds. That being said if Conor was a complete boxing goon, he wouldn't have won a single round even if Floyd was coasting and certainly wouldn't have lasted 10.

Officially, by the 3 judges... best case, he won 3 rounds.

Lasting 10 is irrelevant, if you have no chance of winning. You could put some no-name journeyman boxer in there, and ask him to survive 10 rounds... but what is the point, if he he has no chance of winning?

Conor was supposed to have some kind of outside shot at causing an upset here... but he didn't have any chance!
    Now, round 8 is the telling round. It was close enough that Steve Farhood gave it to Conor on the Showtime broadcast and Steve is no fan of Conor. The punch stats in the round were close, (power punches 15 v 12), Conor's accuracy was his best of the entire fight (43%) and I've gone through many scorecards of boxing writers and loads gave round 8 to Conor.

I felt like Floyd won round 8 myself but it was close.

Why are you picking over the bones of certain rounds?? He was never winning a decision here... not in a million years! If you care about winning, and not just "heroic loser" medals... then picking over these things, is nonsense!

His only chance in this fight, was to get a KO/TKO... but he never had a hope of that either!
    The fact that Conor was that competitive in round 8 while Floyd was clearly walking him down should speak volumes. It's one thing winning rounds while Floyd is coasting but to have 3 minutes of action where Floyd is full throttle and to make the round wafer-thin on the scorecards is a seriously impressive feat for his first boxing match.

Whatever energy Conor expended in round 8, obviously completely destroyed him for the following round... so what is the point in that??

The fight could have been stopped in that 9th round... he was a ghost in there!
    I feel like the fight will benefit Canelo-GGG in the end because so many casuals tuned in and from the casual standpoint it was a pretty entertaining fight with a stoppage. I think de la Hoya is taking the wrong promotional approach constantly slating the fight, it's coming across petty and bitter.

The fight was a farce... they didn't sell this thing, as a chance for Conor to show up... lose... and be hailed as a "tough competitor!"....

In order to be a "tough competitor", you first have to actually be competing for something... what was Conor actually fighting for in there??

Good old Oirish fighting pride...!? Same old embarrassing Irish nonsense! :o

Without a KO shot... Conor was fighting for sweet-F-all.... he was Floyd's whipping boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Floyd via DQ
    Just like before the fight there is a serious amount of over analysis going on!

Conor did well and IMO won 2 of the first 3 rounds.
    Mayweather was poor overall. He was ridiculously over cautious in the first 2.5 rounds but then took over. Even when he did take over his offence was poor. Conor showed good resiliance but was lacking a gas tank.

To be honest for me the fight went exactly as I predicted. I said all along that I saw Conor doing well in the first few rounds and Floyd being cautious at first but then out working him. Conor tanking and Floyd not having the power to ko him but the ref stopping him on his feet in the Mid to late rounds (I thought Floyd would do it in round 8-9 but middle of round 10 is not that far off).
    That's why I predicted a Floyd TKO and put a sizeable bet on it. I could only ever see the fight going one way (the way it did).

Walshie I am surprised at you being 'disappointed' in Floyd- you know what he is like, he was never going to be any different!

Anyway the fight was a 'stunt fight' an event rather than a serious contest. I hope neither man boxes in a ring again again and don't imagine either will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Floyd via DQ
    Overall I have to say McGregor did better than I thought. Won a round , connected with a couple of decent punches as well.
    He did better than I expected too. I gave him the first 2 rounds. He landed punches but none of the power that he promised.
    Mayweather just walked him down though, never really a contest, very one sided. McGregor just didn't have the skills to make it competitive.
    Floyd has power to be respected, If he didn't, other great fighters would walk him down. His skill is amazing, and his power is underrated.
    I doubt we ever see McGregor in a boxing ring again(no harm)
    I'm not sure It is his last time in the ring. There is a slim possibility of the Malinaggi fight happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    Most people know "that disrespecting the sport of boxing" is not the real reason why De La Hoya opposed the fight.

He wanted his top attraction, to knock McGregor spark out... because it would look great for his fighter!

Who gives a sh!t.... really... he's a promoter at the end of the day!

He wanted to use McGregor's name, to build up Canelo's profile... he's doing his job! ;)

Floyd via DQ
    benny79 wrote:
    Can I ask a question to the boxing experts. How did Conor only win the first round? I definitely taught he 100% won the second and even the third as Mayweather done absolutely nothing to justify winning them!

I scored it 98 to 91. Conor won the first 2 rounds while Floyd was reading his game. Floyd won rounds 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and round 10 was a 10-8 round to Floyd.

benny79 wrote:
    This is why I hate boxing.. I watched the Packy fight and I taught the judges were giving Mayweather a good few rounds that Paco was clearly winning. Same with the boxing in the olympics

You can't compare the judging of the May-Pac fight with the farcical judging at the olympics, there's just no comparison. I agreed with the judges on the night, My own card was on par with theirs. You have to know how to score fights, to distinguish scoring shots from none scoring shots, Pacquiao was throwing allot but very little was actually landing clean.

Floyd via DQ
    Congratulations to the people who won soft money Saturday night. Fair play to the lads who predicted it almost to a tee. I think if Conor had decent cardio he would have troubled Floyd, he would have kept slipping an countering Floyd. Floyd wouldn't have come foward like that if Conor wasn't badly gassing either. End of the day he did gas and got an education on boxing conditioning. Fair play tho. Especially to Walsh who seems to have watched the same fight I did.

Made a nice few bob on the fight myself. I agree Conor's biggest problem was stamina. It's strange how a man who appears so physically fit can have such pathetic conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

The amount of rationalising over McGregor's performance is crazy. It's like saying 'well he was ahead for the first few laps of the 5,000m'. It means nothing. I've seen people in worse shape after making Ikea furniture than Mayweather was after 10 rounds. He was in full control from the very start.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Everyone saying the fight went how they predicted.... and the describing the fight in a way it didn't happen :P

Walshie about the only boxing forum regular that appears to have been able to watch the fight in an impartial fashion.

The reason Floyd only threw 28 punches in those first three rounds was because he was being constantly pressured by Conor. Of those 28 punches, only 12 of them landed and that was not because Floyd merely missed, or because he was taking it easy, what nonsense, the truth is Conor was slipping them.

In the end, the sheer volume of shots McGregor threw in those first five rounds resulted in him fatiguing and then when that gassing was apparent, Floyd finally grew some balls and started coming forward more (like he said he was going to do from the get go) but the risk was now largely gone for him and Conor was there for the taken. The fight was effectively over by the 6th and it was really just a matter of time before Floyd took him out.

People acting like they are geniuses for saying Floyd would win late in the fight if Conor couldn't manage the TKO are laughable. Sure that was the call of 99.9999999999% of people, including myself. There was nothing profound in suggesting that's how it would pan out.

McGregor took a risk fighting at the pace he did and it didn't pay off.
    There's no shame in that. He landed, slipped and countered some lovely shots in the process and by doing so proved a lot of the naysayers wrong (the ones with their heads up their arses, that had said that he wouldn't land so much as a punch). End of the day a guy fighting in his first ever professional boxing bout, took the fight to Floyd Mayweather, a fighter considered to be one of the greatest boxers of all time (particularly with regards to defense) and not only did he win rounds against him, he landed 111 punches as he did so.

Impressive no matter which way you slice it.

Floyd via DQ
    The Nal wrote:
    Hes 50-0. Marciano beat a lot of bums in that 49-0 and fought in one of the most uncompetitive times in heavyweight history.

Agreed. To say Floyd is 49-0 is total horse shyt. And completely dismissive and disrespectful to McGregor. Idiots like Stephen A Smith are coming out with this nonsense. A man who knows absolutely nothing about boxing.
    walshb wrote:
    I stand by my point..rds 4 and 5 being awarded to Conor wouldn't be bad calls..

You obviously don't know how to score rounds. Conor won the first 2. Floyd took over from there. 98-91

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Everyone saying the fight went how they predicted.... and the describing the fight in a way it didn't happen :P

Walshie about the only boxing forum regular that appears to have been able to watch the fight in an impartial fashion.

The reason Floyd only threw 28 punches in those first three rounds was because he was being constantly pressured by Conor. Of those 28 punches, only 12 of them landed and that was not because Floyd merely missed, or because he was taking it easy, what nonsense, the truth is Conor was slipping them.

In the end, the sheer volume of shots McGregor threw in those first five rounds resulted in him fatiguing and then when that gassing was apparent, Floyd finally grew some balls and started coming forward more (like he said he was going to do from the get go) but the risk was now largely gone for him and Conor was there for the taken. The fight was effectively over by the 6th and it was really just a matter of time before Floyd took him out.

People acting like they are geniuses for saying Floyd would win late in the fight if Conor couldn't manage the TKO are laughable. Sure that was the call of 99.9999999999% of people, including myself. There was nothing profound in suggesting that's how it would pan out.

There's no shame in that. He landed, slipped and countered some lovely shots in the process and by doing so proved a lot of the naysayers wrong (the ones with their heads up their arses, that had said that he wouldn't land so much as a punch). End of the day a guy fighting in his first ever professional boxing bout, took the fight to Floyd Mayweather, a fighter considered to be one of the greatest boxers of all time (particularly with regards to defense) and not only did he win rounds against him, he landed 111 punches as he did so.

Ye so Floyd was helpless and unable to do anything until Conor gassed basically? As I've asked before, have you ever seen Floyd fight previously? If so, why did he not set up defensively like he usually does? Floyd didn't set up defensively because Conor was no threat, which makes your "not taking it easy" point mute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Floyd via KO-TKO

Floppy taps dont count as punches. Id like to the see the significant strikes landed stats

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Agreed. To say Floyd is 49-0 is total horse shyt. And completely dismissive and disrespectful to McGregor. Idiots like Stephen A Smith are coming out with this nonsense. A man who knows absolutely nothing about boxing.

You obviously don't know how to score rounds. Conor won the first 2. Floyd took over from there. 98-91

Don't be silly...rd 3 was a toss up..

4 and 5 better for Floyd, but Conor very competitive in both, hence awarding him the rds would not be bad!

I'll watch them again. If I overlooked it I will admit it. I'll view both with interest..

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Agreed. To say Floyd is 49-0 is total horse shyt. And completely dismissive and disrespectful to McGregor.91

More silliness. It's not at all disrespectful to Conor, a man who is not a pro boxer, no matter what spin is put on it..

It is dismissive of Floyd, and rightly so. Spoofing and deceiving people into believing this to be a legitimately fair and honest boxing match..

You need to take your tongue out of his behind. Your constant fawning over the man is queasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Autochange wrote: »
    Floppy taps dont count as punches. Id like to the see the significant strikes landed stats

There aren't many who have even landed significant taps on Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Danzy wrote: »

If Floyd fought like that against any top boxer he would have been mauled. Think what Pacquiao done to De La Hoya but twice as bad. The only reason Conor got any punches in is because Floyd allowed it by being so open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Danzy wrote: »

So for example when mcgregor was holding Mayweather and tapping him with his glove are people counting them as part of 111 punches landed?

Please say no

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads if you think McGregor punched well you must have watched a different fight. His technique was atrocious and some of his punches were laughable (flopping an arm out with his other arm hanging by his side).

Mayweather is to give him his correct title "a fly whore"....he let McGregor throw all he had in the first few rounds knowing full well he'd run out of steam and then it was just a matter of taking him apart. I think Mayweather was probably surprised how little power McGregor actually had and that's why he walked forward for the kill, cause he knew full well he wasn't going to get hurt. Watch how he was pushing the refs arm away at every clinch so he could start putting leather on him.

Fair play to conor...his heart is as big as his mouth but his boxing skills aren't.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Out of interest if he does go on to box Paulie how do you fancy his chances. I'd imagine Paulie outboxes him over 12 round to decision.

I'd go for Paulie on points.

I agree Paulie by UD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

i wrongly assumed mcgregor wouldn't land,not being an expert.

having watched the replay it's not hard to see how mayweather got to 49-0

Aside from his defensive ability and conditioning he's really smart.

He sat back and waited and let conor gas himself first,mcgregor called it right when he said 'composure'

Floyd via KO-TKO

having watched the replay it's not hard to see how mayweather got to 49-0'

You realise you're saying this after watching him take ten rds to beat a novice pro? His timing way off and his offensive output pretty poor.

Had you said "I just watched his Canelo, Coralles, Gatti wins and it's not difficult to see why he got to 49-0," I could understand..

walshb wrote: »
    You realise you're saying this after watching him take ten rds to beat a novice pro? His timing way off and his offensive output pretty poor.

Had you said "I just watched his Canelo, Coralles, Gatti wins and it's not difficult to see why he got to 49-0," I could understand..

he's 40 now and retired so allowing for that

i watched M v canelo and M v coralles recently

thought M v canelo was a masterclass

didn't think much oh him against coralles tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted that Mayweather won and Mcgreggor did not. The best man won on the night simple as. Mcgreggor should go back to being a whinger and stay playing that fake sport he plays or next time he might get hurt.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Floyd via KO-TKO

didn't think much oh him against coralles tbh

Corralles was one of the sport's greatest ever displays..

You mixing it up with Castillo by any chance?

Floyd via DQ
    He wanted his top attraction, to knock McGregor spark out... because it would look great for his fighter!

Who gives a sh!t.... really... he's a promoter at the end of the day!

Who said or even suggested there was anything wrong with him trying to get the fcuking fight for one of his fighters :rolleyes:

You'd argue with your own shadow.

The point (and an obvious one) was that he tried to make the McGregor fight himself and yet is now pretending to be offended that Mayweather got it:

https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/901203246928101376

So, again (seeing as you tend to be slow on the uptake): I have no issue with anything De La Hoya said (or was he was attempting to do) in the clip, only with the hypocrisy of him now pretending to be offended on behalf of the sport of boxing.

Floyd via DQ
    Don't be silly...rd 3 was a toss up..

4 and 5 better for Floyd, but Conor very competitive in both, hence awarding him the rds would not be bad!

I'll watch them again. If I overlooked it I will admit it. I'll view both with interest..

I gave 3 narrowly to Floyd, Not much in it but still on his side. 4 and 5 were clearly Mayweather, Awarding those to Conor would be totally wrong.

Corralles was one of the sport's greatest ever displays..

You mixing it up with Castillo by any chance?

pretty sure corrales the guy who died ?

i'll go back and watch it again ,i haven't a trained eye for boxing yet.Maybe i read it wrong

was mayweather doing a lot of tapping in that fight(corrales) similar to mcgregor on sunday

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    pretty sure corrales the guy who died ?

i'll go back and watch it again ,i haven't a trained eye for boxing yet.Maybe i read it wrong

was mayweather doing a lot of tapping in that fight(corrales) similar to mcgregor on sunday

Coralles died in a motorcycle accident several years ago.

No, no tapping. Utter brilliance from bell1 till the end.

Advertisement