Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    The Nal wrote: »
    He threw 4 punches in round 1. Conor threw 34. Mayweather had no intention of going big early.

Totally easy and controlled performance from Mayweather. Not a mark on him after. Clean as a whistle.

He threw 6 punches. He missed 4.
    Which means his accuracy was lowest in rd 1 - which should really be unaffected by the low volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    Mayweather would have thrown more punches early on but he was frustrated into throwing so few tbf. Not saying he would have thrown as many as McGregor, of course, but he was clearly teeing up to get shots off which he couldn't. Even the biased Sky commentary were recognizing that. McGregor landing with many of his shots (while admittedly nothing which troubled Floyd) also contributed to why Floyd didn't throw too many.

I've watched the fight seven or eight times now, with different commentaries, and the notion that Floyd purposefully did so little offensively early on is not a true reflection of those early rounds as it's quite clear that floyd planned to walk McGregor down from much early than people are saying. McGregor just slipped and countered much of it.

Floyd changed his approach many times though, even with regards to walking McGregor down. Which was why Conor said he made him fight like a Mexican. Much more competitive fight early on, and midway through, than many seem to want to concede for whatever reason. Floyd was always going to win handy enough if Conor didn't implement something early on..... would love to have seen him going the distance though. Got a hell of a lot closer to doing that than I thought he would. Had he been more selective with his shots, a bit more conservative with his energy, then I think he may very well have gone the distance, which something I definitely didn't think was possible pre-fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO

Everyone is happy . Walshie i thought you'd be all over this

You know me. I'm always moaning, I mean, happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Regardless of the result you only had to look at them duri g the ring in troductions and when the ref called to them to the centre of the ring. Conor was trying to intinidate and look tough while floyds demenour was of complete calmness and peace he was not in the least concerned about mcgregor. It was so telling. He had no respect atall for conor or his so called power. And he was right.
    First we had mctapper nowwe have mchugger.mcgregor had a guy 20ilbs lighter than him andhe had to keep trying to hug himto stop him punching him. He is used to fighting midgets in the ufc who are ideal for him but whenhe was in a real fight last night he was looking to hug.

Floyd via DQ
    Yeah, Nate Diaz the midget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Floyd via DQ
    I don't watch much UFC but why is it held against him for tapping out? Surely if he knows he's going to be rendered unconscious, through getting choked, it's a far better option to tap out and take the loss? It seems weird to hold it against him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Floyd via DQ
    I don't watch much UFC but why is it held against him for tapping out? Surely if he knows he's going to be rendered unconscious, through getting choked, it's a far better option to tap out and take the loss? It seems weird to hold it against him.

He swore that he would never quit, that would would rather die in the octagon. Fighters talk of course, but plenty of people are willing to mock him for it. Hey, the other UFC lads aren't renowned for intelligent trash talk like Conor (hey he is good) when ever they open their mouths it is like primary school stuff. Conor gets off on it because he will fly back with something even funnier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Floyd via DQ
    Yeah, Nate Diaz the midget.

Might as well be one, he offered little bar being able to take punches like a champ

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    The Nal wrote: »
    A good few journeymen and part timers who had as much boxing experience as Conor. Truck drivers who boxed at the weekends.

Like this guy. 62 fights, lost 42 of them. A punchbag. Most of Tysons early opponents were the same. Mayweathers 50 is more "legit" than Marcianos 49.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/12709

I'm not questioning Floyd's laundry list up of champions on his record
    But there are a random hopeless fighters on there too.

6 Fights, 5 losses (4 KOs)
    26 fights, 22 losses, 1 draw
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    McGregor did well for a non boxer in against Mayweather but lets not try to stretch the realms of reality. He was well and truly schooled in there.

Mayweather didn't throw punches in the first couple of rounds but what he did throw landed. He then dissected and destroyed McGregor who did very well for a novice against one of the best ever.

Exactly as Sweet said earlier the way the fight played out pleased almost everybody.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    He was well and truly schooled in there.

When he was gassed, he was schooled, not before.
    Mayweather didn't throw punches in the first couple of rounds but what he did throw landed.

Did you even watch the fight ffs??

McGregor slipped lots of shots Mayweather threw in the first rounds and countered a few also. It's laughable to say all his shots in those rounds landed.

He threw 28 punches and landed 12 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not questioning Floyd's laundry list up of champions on his record
    But there are a random hopeless fighters on there too.

6 Fights, 5 losses (4 KOs)
    26 fights, 22 losses, 1 draw
    :eek:

Haha, a couple of absolute punch bags there alright.

Yeah same for all fighters records. But Mayweather had a lot less of those wins than most and I can't think of a fighter from any era in any weight class who has beaten so many top guys.

If hes not 50-0 then take 20+ fights from Tysons wins. Beating up crackheads for the first couple of years.

When knocked out/choked unconscious they may have to serve medical bans so if he didn't tap out he may not have been able to fight so soon I suppose.

You're right, makes no sense to not tap when the fight is all but over.

Floyd via DQ
    When he was gassed, he was schooled, not before.

Did you even watch the fight ffs??

McGregor slipped lots of shots Mayweather threw in the first rounds and countered a few also. It's laughable to say all his shots in those rounds landed.

He threw 28 punches and landed 12 of them.

He was schooled. This he gassed thing makes me laugh. Boxing is 12 rounds of 3 minutes, he was apparently training for 12 rounds he was done after 4.

McGregor did slip a couple of shots no doubt and agree Mayweather missed a couple in the first few rounds he normally wouldnt miss, so I apologize for that statement he didnt land everything but he didnt throw many. He threw more in round 4 than the first 3 combined I think.

Either way Mayweather took McGregor apart. There is no shame in that McGregor did better than most thought he would but this fight was in no way competitive. Only one winner and it was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

marcus001 wrote: »
    Conor landed his best punches in the early rounds when Floyd was still fighting defensively.

Although Floyd was conservative in the opening few rounds, he was by no means defensive by his own standards as there was no threat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

section4 wrote: »
    Regardless of the result you only had to look at them duri g the ring in troductions and when the ref called to them to the centre of the ring. Conor was trying to intinidate and look tough while floyds demenour was of complete calmness and peace he was not in the least concerned about mcgregor. It was so telling. He had no respect atall for conor or his so called power. And he was right.
    First we had mctapper nowwe have mchugger.mcgregor had a guy 20ilbs lighter than him andhe had to keep trying to hug himto stop him punching him. He is used to fighting midgets in the ufc who are ideal for him but whenhe was in a real fight last night he was looking to hug.

Good example of a guy who hasn't a clue right here.

It's only a thing with imbeciles who don't have a clue about the sport. Any fighter with sense knows tapping is the way to go.

Going unconscious can mean longer medical suspensions or broken bones.

Floyd via KO-TKO

Mayweather didn't throw punches in the first couple of rounds but what he did throw landed.

You need to stop throwing out untruths...Floyd missed a whole lot. It's one area that he looked terrible in, his accuracy.

Not possible that Conor's offence and work in rds 1-3 contributed to Floyd's dismal offensive "success?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    mdwexford wrote: »

It's only a thing with imbeciles who don't have a clue about the sport. Any fighter with sense knows tapping is the way to go.

Isn't it etiquette to tap when you know you cant get out of a submission ?

Conor on points
    walshb wrote: »
    You need to stop throwing out untruths...Floyd missed a whole lot. It's one area that he looked terrible in, his accuracy.

Not possible that Conor's offence and work in rds 1-3 contributed to Floyd's dismal offensive "success?"

I agree . Floyds timing was awful the 1st couple of rounds.

Isn't it etiquette to tap when you know you cant get out of a submission ?

Maybe in bjj, I'm not too up on the ins and outs of their competitions.

In an mma fight though some people literally will rather go unconscious or get their arm broken than give in and tap. Which is beyond stupid imo.

Then you have the odd scumbag who holds onto a submission for a few extra seconds after the opponent has tapped.

Conor on points
    Maybe in bjj, I'm not too up on the ins and outs of their competitions.

In an mma fight though some people literally will rather go unconscious or get their arm broken than give in and tap. Which is beyond stupid imo.

Then you have the odd scumbag who holds onto a submission for a few extra seconds after the opponent has tapped.

Yeah im pretty sure it is . And its frowned upon if you dont tap . Maybe Mellor can confirm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Yes after you have made some effort to get out of it. He tapped very very quickly.
    Just like he dropped to the ground very very quickly after getting hit a few ****s on the chin. He critisied others for panicing after getting hit and he does the same.thing.
    Why was he running from a guy 20lbs lighter than him because he was not able to.exchange punches with him. What does that tell you about his power.
    I dont know.much about martial.arts only started shukokai karate in 75 and boxing in 76. So only about 40 years exp.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Floyd via DQ
    Did anyone at any stage while McGregor was winning the first few rounds actually think, sh1t he has a chance here? I doubt it. Looked painfully obvious to me that Mayweather wasn't doing a lot and think it's fanciful to think it was because McGregor didn't let him. He literally threw nothing. The jab to the body was his only real offence.

Throughout the fight his accuracy wasn't what we have come to expect and he did look sloppy. McGregor's head movement was a bit better than I thought but Mayweather fought completely different to how he usually does because he could. McGregor had no power, offered no real threat of winning a 12 round fight and Mayweather was happy to let him swim into the latter rounds and drown him. Was it a masterclass or that impressive, not for me. Does he deserve huge credit, hell no. He beat a novice by doing as little as he could really. None of it was a surprise, it was a sh1t fight in the grand scheme of things and he won easily.

Yes after you have made some effort to get out of it. He tapped very very quickly.
    Just like he dropped to the ground very very quickly after getting hit a few ****s on the chin. He critisied others for panicing after getting hit and he does the same.thing.
    Why was he running from a guy 20lbs lighter than him because he was not able to.exchange punches with him. What does that tell you about his power.
    I dont know.much about martial.arts only started shukokai karate in 75 and boxing in 76. So only about 40 years exp.

If you have no energy and it's properly sunk in then it's time to tap.

He was getting smacked around by a superior fighter and had no energy. Your advice would have been to stand and trade and get hit more? Solid.

I couldn't care less what you claim to train in.

Using words like mctapper and mchugger is something a child would do.

Claiming he was fighting midgets in the UFC is uneducated and ignorant.

Claiming boxing is a real fight compared to mma is laughable.

All in all, your post is clueless nonsense.

Floyd via DQ
    walshb wrote: »

Ok thats a fair enough point he actually didnt land alot in the first three rounds but he didnt throw alot. He threw 36 punches and 28 jabs against Pacman in the first round. Thats 64 punches combined.

He threw 8 against McGregor. And that had F*** all to do with Conor's offence or work. Mayweather had a plan for the fight that involved working out McGregor and seeing if he had anything he could hurt Mayweather with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    He wins by TKO in the first three or he gets a boxing clinic if it goes past that stage.

You were wrong!

There was never any realistic chance, that he could finish Floyd in the first 3... or any other 3.... his shots were nowhere near powerful enough to get the job done!

Plenty of us told you guys exactly that... but you just thought we were being dismissive/arrogant boxing fans! When we were actually just giving our honest assessment on Conor's power in a boxing ring! (or lack thereof)

And without any KO power... there was no realistic chance of Conor winning this fight.... So it was a total farce and a cash grab!!

A billion dollar mega fight, where one fighter has no realistic chance of winning, beyond some freakish piece of luck etc... that is the definition of a sporting farce!

Surviving 10 rounds, when the only victory you can realistically achieve, is "heroic loser"... that's not the kind of product you should be selling to the masses, as the biggest fight ever! That's embarrassing... funny as fcuk... but embarrassing! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ
    Yeah im pretty sure it is . And its frowned upon if you dont tap . Maybe Mellor can confirm

It's really not frowned upon to not tap to a choke*, there's virtually zero risk of injury, people tend to give credit to fighters to try to keep fighting the choke.

Take Holm vs Tate for example, Holm could have accepted that the choke was deep and there was little hope of getting out but she kept fighting and went out.

Neither option is wrong, there's nothing wrong with tapping when someone has a right RNC or whatever, the odds of getting out when it's sunk and they have the hooks in or a body triangle are practically nil, but there's also nothing wrong with "going out on your shield" and fighting it.
    sometimes people give up on chokes because they think they're not working or they try to adjust their hands/arm and it get a little looser. It's very rare but it happens.

*it's actually not a choke, which restricts the airway, it's a strangle which restricts the flow of blood to the brain.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Did anyone at any stage while McGregor was winning the first few rounds actually think, sh1t he has a chance here? I doubt it. Looked painfully obvious to me that Mayweather wasn't doing a lot and think it's fanciful to think it was because McGregor didn't let him. He literally threw nothing. The jab to the body was his only real offence.

I only remember thinking he's doing well all things considered..

I noticed tiring in rd 4, and I was quite confident that Floyd would get the job done. I was just unimpressed in how he got it done, and IMO how he was made look sloppy and awkward in getting it done..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Floyd via DQ
    I don't get why Connor wasn't more aggressive he was never going to win a boxing match and he said he'd show something different but he just turned into a boxer, I really think his only chance was to rush Floyd and be super aggressive sure he'd more chance of being ko'd but he was always going to get beat if it lasted over 3 rounds,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Draw
    Screenshot_20170827-055835.png

Not too bad this time!
    There was only 11 scallywags went for Floyd ko/tko from the time the fight ended to the time the poll closed!!
    You have been busted by the Pollice!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Draw
    Conor makes Paulie look like Fists of Stone!!

Advertisement