Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still waiting for stuff from China?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Bought a watch from Hong Kong the same time as someone from the States. His arrived after a week. Mine is mia after a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

What are they going to say? Some of the over 36.5 million containers (2015 numbers) that left Shanghai got delayed on the way. Do they even talk to the public about delays?

So why is nobody anywhere except Ireland complaining about massive delays...and why no ebay announcements of any problems in China.

And why on earth would the Chinese ship this mail by sea when the entire lot would be liable for refunds long before it arrived...in effect shipping it by Sea would be giving it out as freebies...and the Chinese ain't that stupid.

The problem has to be Irish..NOTHING ELSE MAKES SENSE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

archer22 wrote: »
    So why is nobody anywhere except Ireland complaining about massive delays...and why no ebay announcements of any problems in China.

And why on earth would the Chinese ship this mail by sea when the entire lot would be liable for refunds long before it arrived...in effect shipping it by Sea would be giving it out as freebies...and the Chinese ain't that stupid.

The problem has to be Irish..NOTHING ELSE MAKES SENSE!!

If you think all this vast amount of produce, the majority of which has free postage, is being shipped by air then you really need to check with any of the major couriers and see the prices they charge for air mail.

If you think ebay care about Ireland, or China cares about Ireland then you are mistaken. We are an insignificant market on the periphery of Western Europe.

Anyway I am not going to convince those of you who believe An Post is at fault so I'll leave you to your unfounded speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Tow

Got package from China Yesterday. Ordered 22 December, postmarked 27 December. So 3 months.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We're part of a larger supply Chain, they dont fly Shenzen to Dublin. We're an extra hop from Heathrow where this is likely to land.

Shenzen to Rotterdamn is 22 days by ship, so some of it may be surface. That matches the 5wk max users here often see. It doesnt explain the 18wk waits we're seeing now. Mail is getting to Antrim and London just fine, its only that last hop thats problematic.

As the USO AP need to announce if theres a problem, not just pretend its not happening because it doesnt suit their budget.

• Advertisement

If you think all this vast amount of produce, the majority of which has free postage, is being shipped by air then you really need to check with any of the major couriers and see the prices they charge for air mail.

If you think ebay care about Ireland, or China cares about Ireland then you are mistaken. We are an insignificant market on the periphery of Western Europe.

Anyway I am not going to convince those of you who believe An Post is at fault so I'll leave you to your unfounded speculation.

There are hundreds China Airline flights into Europe everyday....what other airlines charge for air mail is not relevant.Postage rates in China are kept artificially extremely low by the Chinese Government.

The Chinese government sponsors export shipment, because it keeps China working and brings in prized foreign currency.
    You cannot compare China's hybrid communist/capitalist system with Europe's pure capitalism.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

archer22 wrote: »
    There are hundreds China Airline flights into Europe everyday....what other airlines charge for air mail is not relevant.Postage rates in China are kept artificially extremely low by the Chinese Government.

The Chinese government sponsors export shipment, because it keeps China working and brings in prized foreign currency.
    You cannot compare China's hybrid communist/capitalist system with Europe's pure capitalism.

There may be hundreds of flights from China, but they aren't going to accept low paying cargo for the sake of it.Do you think they would leave off pallets of Samsung, Apple, Sony etc to put cheap low value product? The common theme from the chinese sellers on the likes of eBay seem to suggest "up to 45 days" before opening a dispute on losses, so they expect it to go by seafreight, not air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Re addresspal, ive not used it due to lack of tracking so i tend to stick to parcelwizard but same setup, im still down 2 packages from october and so are some friends too. Last tracking on them is from the 30th december leaving malaysia but no sign of them in the uk since.

Given none of them are using anpost but all originate from china is why im wary of pointing the finger to anpost. Incedently ive just ordered 2 items this week from the same seller, one sent direct and one via PW, so will be interesting to compare delivery time differences.

New item via Singapore Post (very fast in December to Parcel Motel) dispatching to Dublin. Another one for the watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I posted in the Aliexpress thread that my local postman told me there's literally mountains of stuff in the sorting centres as it arrives via container and they get paid feck all if anything for postage so it is way down on the list of priorities for An Post.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I posted in the Aliexpress thread that my local postman told me there's literally mountains of stuff in the sorting centres as it arrives via container and they get paid feck all if anything for postage so it is way down on the list of priorities for An Post.

exactly. couldn't be arsed irishness strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

zerks wrote: »

Delivering the post is way down the list of priorities for An Post. This country is broken, it doesn't work.

The way to prove where the issue lies is for someone to order the same item separately twice on the same day from the same Chinese site. first one to be sent to Ireland. second one to be sent to a parcel redirect service in NI/UK. I don't have a need for 2 of any particular item right now so bags not me. Can someone step up to the plate!?

glasso wrote: »
    The way to prove where the issue lies is for someone to order the same item separately twice on the same day from the same Chinese site. first one to be sent to Ireland. second one to be sent to a parcel redirect service in NI/UK. I don't have a need for 2 of any particular item right now so bags not me. Can someone step up to the plate!?

That'd just be a hint, not definite proof unfortunately.

ED E wrote: »

It would be a fair indication and would shut up the An Post apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

It's been done:
    I think its safe to say I know which method of shipping I am going to be using from here on in.

I repeated an order i placed but this time sent it to the UK (Addresspal) and i saved myself weeks...

1st order (via CP & AnPost)
    ORDER PLACED: 10/1/2017
    DATE SHIPPED: 12/1/2017 (+2 days)
    DATE LEFT CHINA: 22/1/2017 (+12 days)
    DATE DELIVERED: 21/2/2017 (+42 days)

total delivery time = 42 days

2nd order (via CP & Address pal)
    ORDER PLACED: 21/2/2017
    DATE SHIPPED: 24/2/2017 (+2 days)
    DATE LEFT CHINA: 03/3/2017 (+10 days)
    DATE DELIVERED: 08/3/2017 (+17 days)

total delivery time = 17 days

as you can see both orders have a similar time line up until they ship by air.
    The 1st order went awol with no tracking via An Post until it arrived at my door weeks later.
    The 2nd order was a dream as it had full tracking within a day when in landed in the UK via Royal mail tracking service.

so for the extra €3.50 Address pal fee I know which method of shipping I will be using from here on in.

(p.s) I know these type of posts annoy some, but I think its important to highlight such issues and potential resolutions for those that want bargains delivered within a reasonable time scale.

And....

Berty wrote: »
    Finally both Split orders arrived so here is an Example of Ordering to Ireland Ordering the same item, at the same time, from the same seller, to a different country has gone.

(link to sunglasses placed below to include some type of bargain alert)(I do recommend the sunglasses because the arms are good quality so will last a little longer than the usual el cheapo stuff)

Both Pairs of Sunglasses Ordered on the 2nd February

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sunglasses-covered-8-times-men-sunglasses-male-tide-polarizer-sunglasses-for-driving-the-eye-lens-sunglasses/32693254845.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.R4zwVO

Irish Order
    Ordered 2nd February
    Awaiting Pickup 4th February
    Departed Country 11th February
    Arrived Ireland 17th February
    Delivered 21st February

UK Order(Same Sunglasses Different Colour delivered to Parcel Wizard)
    Ordered 2nd February
    Awaiting Pickup 4th February
    Departed Country 10th February
    Arrived UK 12th February
    Delivered(to PW) 16th February

Irish Order = 17 Days
    UK Order = 12 Days

Was it worth €3.85 extra to use Parcel Wizard to get an item 5 days faster? In this case, No.

It is because the item was €4 so unless the item was of a higher value then the cost of using the service of PW is cost prohibitive unless you really need it sooner. It's also possible that in some cases An Post, around Christmas, would be infinitely slower than the UK route so maybe there's more merit in Parcel Wizard for Chinese orders.

It only cost me €3.85 to nearly prove a point to myself about shipping speed so An Post is slower(shock) but not that much slower. Removing the weekends from the equation then the time to receive both items was 8 working days and 13 working days depending on where the weekends fell.

6 Days to get to Ireland(scanned)
    2 Days to get to UK(scanned)

So kinda conflicting reports there. Difficult to draw any concrete conclusions.

Having said that, one item arrived today for me. Ordered in the middle of November. When it arrived, it had a sticker on it from An Post to correct the address. My town and county and first 3 digits of my Eircode was on it. I don't know why it was needed as the exact same, and correct address, and full correct Eircode was on the package sent for China. It's like they just threw on the sticker to make it look like it wasn't delivered all along because the address was incorrect, which it wasn't.

Edit: Interestingly enough. The item I ordered was a $3 mouse. I ordered a second one worth about $2, from the same seller, at the same time, and there's no sign of that. Perhaps tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Something really needs to be done about this.I'm waiting on numerous low value items,some since mid jan.

Surely it must be illegal in some way to withold items belonging to people like this?

magentis wrote: »
    Something really needs to be done about this.I'm waiting on numerous low value items,some since mid jan.

Surely it must be illegal in some way to withold items belonging to people like this?

Indeed if it was the post man that had them thrown in his garden shed and not giving them to their rightful owners he would be charged with theft.

But who do you raise concerns with here...Comreg or An Garda Siochana, or some other bad jokes with their feet on table sleeping while waiting for time to go home :rolleyes:

It's been done:

Playing devils advocate, it hasn't and cant be.

We cant prove that a small air packet leaving Shenzen for Dublin and for London get on the same plane or use the same company for transit. I'm sure they do, but the system isnt transparent so we cant compare. /devils advocate.

No tracking numbers = no AP case = no COMREG case. AP customer care fobbed me off as expected.

Dennis Naughten:
    Leinster House:
    Tel: 01 6183545, Fax: 01 6184581, Mobile: 086 170 8800
    E-mail: dnaughten@oir.ie

@DenisNaughten

He can send somebody from the Dept. into the DMC to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just sent an email off there,i'm not holding my breath.Hopefully if enough people do the same,something might be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Playing devils advocate, it hasn't and cant be.

We cant prove that a small air packet leaving Shenzen for Dublin and for London get on the same plane or use the same company for transit. I'm sure they do, but the system isnt transparent so we cant compare. /devils advocate.

No tracking numbers = no AP case = no COMREG case. AP customer care fobbed me off as expected.

Dennis Naughten:
    Leinster House:
    Tel: 01 6183545, Fax: 01 6184581, Mobile: 086 170 8800
    E-mail: dnaughten@oir.ie

@DenisNaughten

He can send somebody from the Dept. into the DMC to have a look.

who is dennis naughten?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Got something today that I ordered at the start of January! Woohoo.

who is dennis naughten?

"Minister for Communications, Climate Action & Environment. Ireland's first ever Climate Minister who's focused on efficiency & delivering broadband nationwide"

One item that I ordered from Hong Kong on the 12th of feb finally arrived into Ireland today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't know about apologists, but some people are being realistic about what they expect from An Post in this situation. Bringing in extra staff or paying OT to sort through mountains of cheap chinese imports makes no sense for a company that is losing money hand over fist. In fact I'm surprised that AP haven't put their customs clearance charges up from €7 to match the couriers more usual rate of €15. Fair bit of work in it for €7, but they'd prefer to screw us on stamps instead.

Update:
    #1 ARRIVED JAN 20 62 DAYS
    #2 ARRIVED FEB 02 73 DAYS
    #3 ARRIVED MAR 30 130 days
    #4 ARRIVED MAR 29 131 DAYS

Sigh.

The item I needed to arrive by the 3rd of April, and that I payed €15 delivery for arrived in Dublin today four weeks after leaving Hong Kong.

Will it actually arrive to my home on Monday? It will be a pleasant surprise if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mad muffin wrote: »
    The item I needed to arrive by the 3rd of April, and that I payed €15 delivery for arrived in Dublin today four weeks after leaving Hong Kong.

Will it actually arrive to my home on Monday? It will be a pleasant surprise if it does.

I would be surprised if it wasnt. Assuming you are not living in the middle of nowhere.

Hong Kong post is separate from China Post though. the express service that you paid for normally gets here in two weeks top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

mad muffin wrote: »

When you say it arrived in Dublin, has it appeared on AnPost.ie?

I've a package from Russia that was handed over to Irish customs on the 18th according to track17, but no sign of it with AnPost.

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if it wasnt. Assuming you are not living in the middle of nowhere.

Hong Kong post is separate from China Post though. the express service that you paid for normally gets here in two weeks top.

Yeah, the seller said two weeks but it took four. Hopefully it'll arrive Monday. I had another package arrive into Dublin yesterday but it didn't move on from Dublin after a day.
    stimpson wrote: »
    When you say it arrived in Dublin, has it appeared on AnPost.ie?

I've a package from Russia that was handed over to Irish customs on the 18th according to track17, but no sign of it with AnPost.

Yeah, the tracking is working on anpost.ie

Advertisement