Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still waiting for stuff from China?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I wonder if it's possible to get a battery powered GPS tracker. I'll be in Shanghai later this year and I'd be interested to see what route the package would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

stimpson wrote: »
    I wonder if it's possible to get a battery powered GPS tracker. I'll be in Shanghai later this year and I'd be interested to see what route the package would take.

how could the tracker see the gps satellites if it is inside a parcel?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does the USO not apply to postal items up to to 2kg or is that only between EU member states? If not how is An Post being paid to deliver these items?

Actually now that I look it does, since 2011 if they're both UPU and EU.

Still chinapost doesnt meet those criteria.
    The UPU established that:
    There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world
    Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail
    Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage.

So basically CNPost deliver APs mail in China for free and AP deliver CNPosts mail here for free. If that was Ireland and France it'd be fair, but with China its not a very balanced arrangement.

Wonder if the UPU would do anything with a complaint. EDIT: Cant see a complaints procedure for them. So complain to AP, see what they say, then go to COMREG.

how could the tracker see the gps satellites if it is inside a parcel?

In a jiffy bag in a cage in a soft shell truck it would get a lock. Wouldnt in a 40ft container.

You'd only need partial exposure at a few points to get the key kinda data you needed.

stimpson wrote: »

something that polls mobile networks and makes a record would be more practical - don't know if such a thing exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ED E wrote: »
    Actually now that I look it does, since 2011 if they're both UPU and EU.

Still chinapost doesnt meet those criteria.

So basically CNPost deliver APs mail in China for free and AP deliver CNPosts mail here for free. If that was Ireland and France it'd be fair, but with China its not a very balanced arrangement.

Wonder if the UPU would do anything with a complaint. EDIT: Cant see a complaints procedure for them. So complain to AP, see what they say, then go to COMREG.

This article from Fortune seems to suggest that small packets are included in the USO.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/

Apparently they were meant to be making changes at the last UPU congress but i cant find any info on changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

ED E wrote: »
    In a jiffy bag in a cage in a soft shell truck it would get a lock. Wouldnt in a 40ft container.

You'd only need partial exposure at a few points to get the key kinda data you needed.

That's what I'm thinking. You only really care about when it lands in Ireland TBH. anyway, it looks like that type of kit is around $100 on Ali Express which is a bit more than I wanted to pay. I may have to see what I can find when I go looking for cheap crap in the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Phone case arrived today from China Ebay seller. Posted 09Dec2016 upto today =94 days

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I ordered something at the beginning of January and it just arrived today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Galadriel wrote: »
    I ordered something at the beginning of January and it just arrived today.

I ordered something at the end of January. So I have 3 more weeks. Not sure what to do with the eBay dispute I opened. They only give you a week to sort things out.

• Advertisement

dohouch wrote: »
    Phone case arrived today from China Ebay seller. Posted 09Dec2016 upto today =94 days

129 days is my record so far.
    What about someone writing a letter to An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

glasso wrote: »
    129 days is my record so far.
    What about someone writing a letter to An Post?

I sent them an e-mail...got reply a week later stating international mail should arrive within 10 days and if it has not to contact sender :rolleyes:

archer22 wrote: »
    I sent them an e-mail...got reply a week later stating international mail should arrive within 10 days and if it has not to contact sender :rolleyes:

so standard fob-off.

I guess that it's not a priority for anyone in Ireland really.
    1.An post is probably losing money in dealing with this sort of post
    (way more stuff coming from China than Ireland is sending to China,
    money they get for it is less than the cost of sorting it and delivering it. so the sorting part is the lowest priority and probably even deliberately delayed)
    2.Irish exchequer is losing VAT and import duty compared to a local sale on the items being delivered. (assuming that most items are coming in under the limit).

what about complaining to the universal delivery obligation body?
    Then again it's hard to get any direct proof of the prioritizing without using a long-life gps tracker or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

I just got my final item that i ordered on the 11th November. Anyone want to do the mathsðŸ˜

I'm waiting at least 6 weeks for a few things. I had some hope that it might be delivered this week but tomorrow being the last day of deliveries for this week, I don't think it will happen this week.

I just got my final item that i ordered on the 11th November. Anyone want to do the mathsðŸ˜

This doesn't make any sense. How are things being delivered this week for things ordered in November and another poster had something delivered from January.

Are things sitting in the postal sorting office or what?

Finally getting some progress.

Ordered something in the middle of February and the tracking shows it's in Dublin. I don't understand where my other packages are ordered at the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Waiting on quite a few items here too.

The longest is from the 25th of Jan.

I ordered something on 26th of Feb and reordered the same thing today, but this time I'm having it delivered to my Parcel Motel address in NI, will be interesting to see which one gets here first.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

The Raptor wrote: »
    Are things sitting in the postal sorting office or what?

Cages of overflow in DUB would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anything ive ordered in the past 6 weeks is up to date and delivered even with chinese new year in the mix, although im still missing stuff from october and nothing from that side of christmas has filtered through

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    Anything ive ordered in the past 6 weeks is up to date and delivered even with chinese new year in the mix, although im still missing stuff from october and nothing from that side of christmas has filtered through

Got something shipped in October a couple of weeks ago.
    Crazy that An Post are just leaving stuff hanging around until they feel like sorting + delivering it.
    It's a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

I order quite a few bits and bobs from the Chinese traders on ebay and Aliexpress, never had any problems before, items arrived in 2 to 3 weeks.
    But lately An Post really seem to be taking the piss...everything is taking at least 6 to 8 weeks to arrive even though tracking shows they arrived in Ireland around one week after shipping.
    Why the sudden change?...I can only assume An Post does not want to deliver those items as there is nothing in in for them and so are now acting the B******s to try to deter people from ordering them.

It's not an post. China has a very poor postal service. The government pay the post cost for traders that are in some way affiliated, (by way of an agreement), with the government of China....the trader has to meet certain requirements to avail of this. Our postal service, in our case an post, probably get around 1cent for their part. How do you think these ebay and ali-express traders can offer free post? No postal service offers free post. There's an agreement between countries that China is regarded as a third-world country, in terms of population wealth, and China receives many benefits, money, and more, from other "wealthy" countries. They pay the staff they need to a pittance. China ships out millions of little packets and parcels every day. Sometimes the item has been sitting in some rundown warehouse for weeks, waiting for some 10 year old lad to start sorting them into countries.......and there's tons of them!
    Get onto the seller and give them grief, the problem lies at their end. They'll tell you the same ol' yarn they've been giving everyone for years. If you buy from China, expect delays and non-arrivals, it's commonplace. Besides, nearly everything we buy from these Chinese sellers is crap,...it's cheap crap, but some of it looks good. We buy from them because it's cheap.
    I recently bought a set of 8 brushes for an electric motor, 9 weeks ago. The first set I bought never arrived within 5 weeks, got a refund. I purchased again from the same seller, and 4 weeks later they're still not here, and neither are the first. It gives me a pain in my rear to wait 9 weeks for brushes I could have got elsewhere in a few days....and I still have to buy them again by the looks of it. You have to accept the shyte that comes with "free post".
    Anyhow, a more important question is,
    "Where are all those millions of little packets & parcels that never arrived at their destination? and why did they end up where they currently are?"
    I'd say that the corruption in China is massive, and many are stolen before they leave their shores. The tracking numbers are useless on the whole. It might show the item as in Ireland, but it is not. This is to make you believe they've sent it and it's arrived in your country. If you want real tracking from say fed-ex, go and find out the cost to send a packet from China to Ireland.......it ain't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

It's not an post. China has a very poor postal service. The government pay the post cost for traders that are in some way affiliated, (by way of an agreement), with the government of China....the trader has to meet certain requirements to avail of this. Our postal service, in our case an post, probably get around 1cent for their part. How do you think these ebay and ali-express traders can offer free post? No postal service offers free post. There's an agreement between countries that China is regarded as a third-world country, in terms of population wealth, and China receives many benefits, money, and more, from other "wealthy" countries. They pay the staff they need to a pittance. China ships out millions of little packets and parcels every day. Sometimes the item has been sitting in some rundown warehouse for weeks, waiting for some 10 year old lad to start sorting them into countries.......and there's tons of them!
    Get onto the seller and give them grief, the problem lies at their end. They'll tell you the same ol' yarn they've been giving everyone for years. If you buy from China, expect delays and non-arrivals, it's commonplace. Besides, nearly everything we buy from these Chinese sellers is crap,...it's cheap crap, but some of it looks good. We buy from them because it's cheap.
    I recently bought a set of 8 brushes for an electric motor, 9 weeks ago. The first set I bought never arrived within 5 weeks, got a refund. I purchased again from the same seller, and 4 weeks later they're still not here, and neither are the first. It gives me a pain in my rear to wait 9 weeks for brushes I could have got elsewhere in a few days....and I still have to buy them again by the looks of it. You have to accept the shyte that comes with "free post".
    "Where are all those millions of little packets & parcels that never arrived at their destination? and why did they end up where they currently are?"
    I'd say that the corruption in China is massive, and many are stolen before they leave their shores. The tracking numbers are useless on the whole. It might show the item as in Ireland, but it is not. This is to make you believe they've sent it and it's arrived in your country. If you want real tracking from say fed-ex, go and find out the cost to send a packet from China to Ireland.......it ain't free.
    Thanks for posting that load of racist nonsense its most helpful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

I think the problem is on the Irish side as well. Most of my packages are taking 2 or 3 months as well and sometimes the tracking shows as having been delivered in Ireland weeks previously.
    Bizarrely two items I ordered at the end of January and start of February were delivered within 10 days. They were posted from Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I've had experience of getting packages delivered from China to my Parcel Motel address in NI and they arrive much faster.

As I've said in the other thread on this subject, I'm currently waiting on 2 packets from the same Chinese seller, one due be delivered to Dublin and the other to my NI parcel Motel address, so will be interesting to see the difference.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Thanks for posting that load of racist nonsense its most helpful :rolleyes:

How is that racist?

Stuff can sit in the customs waiting to be inspected also.

Lots of fake or dangerous goods come out of China. (Explosive batteries for example).

I did read somewhere, a while back that many carriers refuse to carry packages from China for that reason.

They will only carry letters. (Think it was an avation mag)

x1f4a9.png.pagespeed.ic.292Eth5N9Z.png

To update
    #1 62 Days
    #2 73 Days
    #3 In transit 119 Days
    #4 In transit 121 Days

More recent:
    #5 In transit 44 days
    #6 In transit 7 days with YANWEN(?)

Separately order from DX that contained batteries went through NL and took about 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

http://prnt.sc/em62uk

I'm beating you all!
    Ordered Oct 25th,delivered this morning.
    147 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just had a chat with my postman about this and he says he gets odd days when he gets far more stuff from China than normal. The obvious deduction being that stuff from China gets left in a warehouse and sorted when An Post management feel like sorting it. Given An Post Management can't be bothered about it I doubt they controlling how China mail gets sorted so first in to wherever the mail gets left could just as easily be last out.

Advertisement