Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered the 8 with 3

I was thinking buying it straight out. I'm on the 30 day at 30 quid a month at the mo.

But when you work out 24 X 60 euro & 299 for phone.

Then 24 x 30 & 799 phone only about 200 difference over 2 years, about 9 quid a month difference so just took the contract **** it.

Cant wait to get no calls or texts on my new phone :D

I'm with 3 atm. Is there any reason you went with them over Vodafone?

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered the 8 with 3

I was thinking buying it straight out. I'm on the 30 day at 30 quid a month at the mo.

But when you work out 24 X 60 euro & 299 for phone.

Then 24 x 30 & 799 phone only about 200 difference over 2 years, about 9 quid a month difference so just took the contract **** it.

Cant wait to get no calls or texts on my new phone :D

Still terrible value. I got the S6 Edge+ through 3 when it first came out. €150 upfront and €55/month. That's an extra €270 for a phone of the same value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'm with 3 atm. Is there any reason you went with them over Vodafone?

I'm with three myself, Just saves the hassle. No messing, sending ID and had my billing dates changed to the first which I like. I only got out of a 2 year contract with them so not to bothered on the cost as I pretty much got the last phone for nothing and out of contract.

Still madness the price as said in the post above.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

KOR101 wrote: »
    How long does that usually take?

The prices are up on the Vodafone and 3 websites now, however I'm doing the upgrade anytime thing on vodafone, which is where they let you upgrade before your contract is up, but it will affect the price of the phone. They haven't gotten the prices for the anytime upgrades yet. They also let you trade in your old phone, so depending on what the upgrade price + what I get on trade-in I might be able to swing for the S8 or S8+. Otherwise it'll be the S7 Edge most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Went to pre order on three and took a peer at the pricing. On the (existing) 40.66 euro per month:

12 month contract Classic Flex - Max 350 €999.00
    18 month contract Classic Flex - Max 350 €999.00

A cool G on an 18 month contract. Is that actually a real price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Glitch in the matrix i would imagine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Noticed that earlier, and thought it was weird alright.

When it actually hits bricks and mortar stores on the 28th or whenever it is, will there be people queuing outside to get it? Is that still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Some punter on the online three chat told me it was 24 month contract only.

I just went for that. I'm not mega keen on having a phone for 2 years but tbh I'll probably be on the Galaxy S10 this time 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

grimloch wrote: »
    Some punter on the online three chat told me it was 24 month contract only.

I just went for that. I'm not mega keen on having a phone for 2 years but tbh I'll probably be on the Galaxy S10 this time 2019.

I wouldn't worry about having a flagship phone for that long. I'm still on an S6 Edge+ myself and it's as perfectly usable now as when I got it shortly after release (battery lasts most of a day still too). It'll also get Nougat in the next few weeks so it'll be bang up to date there.

It's probably the longest I've owned a phone since the Nokia 6310i but to be honest, phones have pretty much hit their peak in my opinion.. Sure the s8+ looks gorgeous, but is it worth the best part of a grand to me when what I have still does everything without a issue?

Probably not.. I'll likely wait till they're out a few months and the rush dies down and then get one if the reviews and user feedback lives up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have a flat version of the Galaxy S6. It still works really fast, battery is so so but looking at those videos, I am just not a fan of the curved displays, the reflection/glare on the sides is very off putting for me.

I worry that the speakers are still poor like they were on the S7 and there isn't much of an upgrade with the camera. :(

Maybe we need to go back to the time that we used the phone until it breaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

Any ideas where to preorder sim free.? Was thinking of samsung.com/uk and get it delivered to parcel motel.
    Not signing up for another 24mth contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

7mm longer than is very doable I think it's going to be a s8 edge plus need to pre order mine now on Vodafone I am looking at 350 I think get about 250 for my one plus so about 100 to upgrade

Which OnePlus model? The OnePlus One is selling for around €140 on Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Which OnePlus model? The OnePlus One is selling for around €140 on Adverts.

One plus three .......

Not a one plus one at all ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

dshakey wrote: »
    Any ideas where to preorder sim free.? Was thinking of samsung.com/uk and get it delivered to parcel motel.

https://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/sim-free-mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s8-sim-free-p-87504.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

https://www.directtvs.co.uk/p/1190552/samsung-galaxy-s8-black-5.8-64gb-4g-unlocked-and-sim-free?switchc=e does it for €797.97 unlocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I used Samsung.co.uk when I ordered the s7e and used PM wasn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does anyone know the best place to preorder from an Irish retailer (anyone who is VAT registered in Ireland)? I'm looking for sim free.

One plus three .......

Not a one plus one at all ha.
    Ah, that's makes a lot more sense.

I'm still rockin my OnePlus One 2.5 years after getting it and having recently wiped and flashed a new ROM on it it's almost as good as day one (battery still good but not as good) so I just can't justify getting rid of it.

The S8+ looks a weapon of a phone but the price is eye watering regardless of whether you buy it outright or via a contract. Think I'll wait for the UMi Z Pro or the OnePlus Four whenever that's due out.

So I took the plunge. Called 3 upgrades and was given the phone for €299 on the maximum package with 10% discount for 2 years. The bill should be €54 per month. I'm happy enough with that!

Does anyone know the best place to preorder from an Irish retailer (anyone who is VAT registered in Ireland)?

If you're registered for VAT in Ireland and you supply Direct TV with your VAT # when ordering they should, under Intra EU VAT rules, be able to supply to you on a zero VAT basis but to do so they may need to ship it directly to you in ROI rather than to PM/PW in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

So I took the plunge. Called 3 upgrades and was given the phone for €299 on the maximum package with 10% discount for 2 years. The bill should be €54 per month. I'm happy enough with that!

Wont that price be going up to 60 a month from April?

KD11 wrote: »

€60 - 10% = €54

Basil3 wrote: »
    €60 - 10% = €54

Basil 3 is right :).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Basil3 wrote: »
    €60 - 10% = €54

Thats not a bad discount. Didn't think they were giving anything for upgrading. I was thinking of going for the 50 a month for 24 months and 499 for the phone but that deal would work out cheaper. Did you have to haggle much to get the 10%?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Bet you never thought you'd see the day the screen size of a mini Samsung s might be 5.5 inches?

Thats not a bad discount. Didn't think they were giving anything for upgrading. I was thinking of going for the 50 a month for 24 months and 499 for the phone but that deal would work out cheaper. Did you have to haggle much to get the 10%?

Not at all. I've been with 3 for years and I said was there anything that they could do for me. They put me on hold and came back with that offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

thomasj wrote: »
    Bet you never thought you'd see the day the screen size of a mini Samsung s might be 5.5 inches?

Thats a deal breaker for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

And the screen size is larger due to the 18:9(or whatever) aspect ratio, so its not fully correct to compare screen diameter with previous 16:9 phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Well done sir :D You showed me

Advertisement