Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options
  • 04-01-2017 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Rear mounted finger print scanner, home button/headphone socket gone to accommodate larger screen.. phone will have to be a big jump in features and not just the incremental improvements we've gotten used to..

More looking forward to this launch than any in a long time. Suits my 2yr upgrade...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Headphone socket gone to make room for screen. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

That is silly. I mean, where u suppose to listen to music?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

leemaree wrote: »
    That is silly. I mean, where u suppose to listen to music?

Bluetooth earphones, same as the latest iphone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

It's a phone They're all the same. Who cares.

ellobee wrote: »
    Bluetooth earphones, same as the latest iphone

Nope. Might wanna recheck that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

From CNET o n the S8

When the Galaxy Note 7 first launched, Samsung told me it was "proud" of its headset jack. That tune might change if the latest rumor is right. SamMobile is saying that the audio jack used to plug in wired headphones will go the way of the iPhone's nonexistent port.
    In its place, phone owners would have to use wireless Bluetooth-connected headsets (like these) or headsets that plug into the phone's expected USB-C port (either directly or through an adapter dongle).

Nope. Might wanna recheck that.

Recheck what??

ellobee wrote: »
    Recheck what??

Ip 7 has wired digi audio out. If it were bt only nobody would buy it as bt sounds crap.

Ip 7 has wired digi audio out. If it were bt only nobody would buy it as bt sounds crap.

I never said it was BT only, the question was asked how are you suppose to listen to music and I just gave one of the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Samsung need something stellar to get people over the fear of exploding batteries. I'm in the market for an upgrade soon (from my humble S5), so will be curious to see what Samsung has up its sleeves.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

It's a phone They're all the same. Who cares.

Some people are into their tech. I'm sure there's stuff you'd find interesting that others wouldn't. If you dont care why even bother opening the thread, let alone waste your time posting?

dbagman wrote: »
    Some people are into their tech. I'm sure there's stuff you'd find interesting that others wouldn't. If you dont care why even bother opening the thread, let alone waste your time posting?

I'm into my tech and reckon phones are done. The point of dimmed returns has long been passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, I'm due to upgrade my Note 5 this year and I was thinking of the S8, but the lack of headphone socket is a big deal for me.

The thought of charging up yet another device (bluetooth headphones) really annoys me.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm due to upgrade my Note 5 this year and I was thinking of the S8, but the lack of headphone socket is a big deal for me.

The thought of charging up yet another device (bluetooth headphones) really annoys me.

The phone will come with a wired adapter. No big deal. The benifit is that headphone manus can now use their own ad converters,amps etc and are no longer tied to internal phone stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Headphone sound quality on phones is generally shïte anyway unless you're paying big bucks for earphones, and downloading lossless tunes. Bluetooth is just a small hardly noticeable factor

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Headphone sound quality on phones is generally shïte anyway unless you're paying big bucks for earphones, and downloading lossless tunes. Bluetooth is just a small hardly noticeable factor

Wired smart phone sound quality is excellent even on middle market stuff, such is the maturity of converter tech headphones etc. Higher bitrate streams have been shown to be indistinguishable from lossless despite what people like to think. However BT compression is a stretch and is really noticable over headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

No headphone socket and a rear fingerprint sensor and I'm out. Having to pick the phone up to unlock it is just stupid and I don't want to a) carry an adaptor for my headphones or b) charge bluetooth headphones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

D0NNELLY wrote: »

Anyone who has paid good money for NIC headphones is not going to be impressed that they can't use them on this, or have to get an adapter to plug them in. Listening to music while charging would be impossible then. Bluetooth is gimmicky, especially when you have to fiddle around swaping between earphones and a car radio. And watching videos with Bluetooth headphones is a hopeless experience with the latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm into my tech and reckon phones are done. The point of dimmed returns has long been passed.

I think you have a point.. Phones have hit the same point PCs and Laptops did a few years ago.

The last few releases have been marginal/incremental improvements at best. I'm "still" using an S6 Edge+ for example that's just as capable as its successors and don't have any REASON to upgrade.

The Note 8 for example is rumoured to have a 4K display. Seriously, who needs/will get value out of that on a 5.7" screen that a cheaper 1080p panel wouldn't be just as capable in? It makes even LESS sense when these gimmicks remove actual features people want (Like the headphone socket).

The problem is compounded by accelerated release schedules and less testing of course... result being the Note 7 disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Been waiting for this as I have an S6 Edge which is probably the best phone I've ever had aside from it's woeful battery. I've cracked the screen too and there's a pink line on the display from time to time. If it wasn't for those issues I'd probably have no interest in upgrading as it still runs as fast as the day I got it.

I only use bluetooth headphones these days but the lack of a headphone jack would still piss me off. And the price of these phones is getting ridiculous, I paid €870 for the S6 edge sim free (no interest in signing a contract) and I'd be expecting the S8 to be closer to €1000. I'm not sure I want to reward Samsung with that kind of money if they decide to remove the headphone jack and persist with non removable batteries. I'd be tempted to just get the OnePlus 3T instead but I can see myself only changing phone every 3 years or greater from now on so do kind of want to get whatever is top of the line this year and hang on to it for as long as possible.

Samsung and Apple need to look at their pricing or they will soon find the Chinese market eating into their profits, I got one of these for my daughter recently and I am seriously impressed with it, the battery on it is amazing and the overall spec for €250 is excellent value. they even have a higher spec'd one with 6gb of ram for very little extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

Yeah, we have Motorola for this, they started it with their Moto X!
    [url] http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/09/moto-z-doesnt-3-5mm-headphone-jack/[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Patww79 wrote: »

4k is not for VR. For VR to work you need high refresh rate screens first, 4k slows down the refresh rates causing motion sickness.

It's impossible to game in VR at 4K yet as the fps is too low your current tech. VR is at max 1080p so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ellobee wrote:
    for my daughter recently and I am seriously impressed with it, the battery on it is amazing and the overall spec for €250 is excellent value. they even have a higher spec'd one with 6gb of ram for very little extra money.

No NFC which for me means no easy leap top ups and no android pay.

Advertisement